Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#76 Old 27th Dec 2005 at 1:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by crazygirl247
great tutorial!!!
but my question is if someone makes an outfit with pics from a site(not sims2) and puts it on a site is that called cloning copying etc.?
(in one sentance is making clothes out of pics and claiming it yours is it ok?)

It really depends on a number of factors... How much of a picture are you using? If it's just a little piece to get a texture, and you tweak it a lot, change the colour, etc. so it's pretty much unrecognizable as the original, I think at that point it's changed enough that, under standard copyright law, you're fine. If you're just ripping a picture from a designer clothing site with very little changes, you wouldn't be. Your best bet is to email the site owner telling them what you're doing, that you'll link and give credit for the source material, and then ask for permission to post them.

If you're unable to contact the site owner or unable to get permission (lack of reply, email link, they say no, etc.), your best bet is to create something inspired by the original. If you see a cute pink skirt and you like the fabric texture and that it's pleated, then make something similar, but not from that photo (or from a photo at all). Determine what exactly about it you love, and do that, but different enough that you're not really taking someone's creation, but taking inspiration from it.

Cloning, basically, is the practice of copying someone's game object that has certain behaviors you want to reproduce/modify slightly to make something similar. The practice you describe would not be cloning, just plain old copyright infringement (in most cases). Which is not to say that it isn't done, or that anyone would probably try to go after you for it, but it's a bad idea if you want to keep on the positive side of artistic karma. Get permission first, and you should be fine.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#77 Old 27th Dec 2005 at 11:47 AM
But,how I make this tops in photoshop?
Lab Assistant
#78 Old 27th Dec 2005 at 11:55 AM
How I paste a image in another image?
Test Subject
#79 Old 27th Dec 2005 at 2:45 PM Last edited by CharkyAngel : 27th Dec 2005 at 2:56 PM.
What does Strg mean ??? is it a button on your "typingbord"?

Sorry for my bad English, i'm Belgian
Object(ive) Investigator
retired moderator
#80 Old 27th Dec 2005 at 11:04 PM
In English its Ctrl.
Test Subject
#81 Old 28th Dec 2005 at 8:19 AM
Thank you
Field Researcher
#82 Old 28th Dec 2005 at 10:43 AM
pleasse,can any1 show me how to do this on gimp please i beg you!!!!

have mercy on me.
if you have the tut send me a massage.
i need this badly.
Test Subject
#83 Old 29th Dec 2005 at 2:46 PM
where can yuo find suitable clothes to use?????
Test Subject
#84 Old 29th Dec 2005 at 3:45 PM
Can someone please tell me what I doing wrong? When I try and save texture file, a screen says "makes sure files are in right place and format". I checked, and they are in right place!
#85 Old 29th Dec 2005 at 3:55 PM
Schnell aufmachen
Quote: Originally posted by Bluesims
I've written this tutorial in german before. Please be patient with me if my english isn't perfect.
I use the german version of Paintshop Pro 9 and there are some problems to translate the tools in the right way.
Please look in your PSP to find the symbols in the pictures I attached to every step to take the right tool.

First, it is really important that you use a good graphic programm such as Paintshop Pro, Corel Draw, Adobe Photoshop.
Windows Paint isn't a useful programm.

I use Paintshop Pro 9 for my skins.
You can download a trial version of Paintshop Pro X here: http://www.corel.de/servlet/Satelli...d=1047025530410 (click on "try" at the right side)

And you'll need good images of clothes. It is important that you can see the clothes from the front and back side.
You'll find such clothes at www.gojane.com

For this tutorial I'll use this images:
http://mitglied.lycos.de/bluesims1/...GX5820FRONT.jpg
http://mitglied.lycos.de/bluesims1/...8GX5820REAR.jpg

So...then we'll start with the tutorial.
In Bodyshop you choose a suitable top and export this with a name of your desire (maybe tutorial_top)
In this folder you'll find a new folder with the name you choosed: My Documents/EA Games/The Sims 2/ Projects
Open the folder of your top and open the top~stdMatBaseTextureName.bmp with your graphic programm.
That should look like this, that depends on what top you choosed in Bodyshop:

Next we create a new layer. We work on this layer from now on. So we seperate the new skin from the background.

Just click on the layer symbol shown in the image and in the next step click OK.

Now we take the picture of the top.
There's much white space around the orange top.....we have to delete this.
Take the Magic Wand Selection ("Zauberstab")

Take a number about 20 like I did:

Now click on the white around the top.
The whole white should be marked. If you hold down Shift while you click on the white you can mark more areas.
Click on Selection - Invert to invert the selection. Now only the orange top is selected.

This selection we copy on our .bmp
Click Strg + C to copy the orange top, go to the .bmp and click Strg + E to paste the top there.
Now we have to suit the top to the .bmp
We take the "Verformen"-Tool (deform, distort, go out of shape)

Let us take a look in Bodyshop:

Now we do the same thing with the back side of the top.
Take the Magic Wand Selection - invert the selection - paste the selection to the .bmp - suit the top to the .bmp:

In Bodyshop we press F3 and place the Sim like this....we can see that one of the back wearer don't suit with the front wearer.

We make a small trick: just copy the right back wearer to the left.
Take the selection tool to mark the right wearer,

press Strg + C, mark the left wearer and delete it, press Strg + E to paste the right wearer on the .bmp, press Strg + M to invert the wearer horizontally.
That should look like this now:

Now we make a new layer again. But be sure that this layer is under the layer with our top.
In the layer palette click on the background and then create the new layer.
With the selection tool mark an area shown in the picture above.
Fill this area with an orange color with the "Farbfüllungswerkzeug" (Filling tool)

If you hold down Strg while you click on a color PSP remember this color.
Fill the whole area like this:

The next step:
Open the top~stdMatBaseTextureName_alpha.bmp
This file is black and white colored. White means that you can see that on the Sim, black color means that you can't see, grey color would be transparent.
The alpha looks like that:

Now go back to our layer with the top, press Strg + C, go to the alpha again and press Strg + E to paste the top onto the alpha.

Arrange the top and fill it with a white color.

Now invert the selection. Everything is marked except the top.
Take a black color and paint everything away (at the neckline and the back) that's not part of the top.
It should look like this:

And here is a Bodyshop preview:

It's pretty good right now.
But there are stil some white borders at the side.
With the "Verschmieren"-Tool (blur)

you can blur the borders.

Make it like that with the whole top.
Now it should look like this:

At last you have to import everything in Bodyshop.

And here's the top:

And here it is ingame:

Ok ich bin auch Deutsch!
Ich hab ein problem, die fulltool gullt auch ein teil von dem top und nicht nur den hintergrund obwohl ich alles so gemacht hab wie du!
Bitte hilf mir.
#86 Old 29th Dec 2005 at 3:59 PM
Well, RussianBallerina, press on save then find the file where the thing is and if you don't see it change the Format to BMP and then the file your looking for should appear click on it and press Save...
Before I can tell you the rest tell me which program your using!!
#87 Old 30th Dec 2005 at 9:07 AM
Deine website ist echt gut bluesims aber wie machst du das??
Lab Assistant
#88 Old 31st Dec 2005 at 12:40 AM Last edited by ila20 : 1st Jan 2006 at 3:28 PM. Reason: I realised me mistake, so I am changing it, to a different mistake I had
Default Mistaken
Great tutorial! I found my mistakes I posted earlier, and now it is working for me. Thanks sooo much, for showing us how to do custom content. :gidea:
Lab Assistant
#89 Old 31st Dec 2005 at 10:58 PM
Great tutorial but i have one question...See the bit were you smudge the top at the sides what do we save it as because i cant save it right. Because when i go and refresh body shop i still have the gap under her arms from the older shirt which i covered with the one im making...Sorry if you dont understand what i mean.

..Live well, grow old well, grow bald well.
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#90 Old 31st Dec 2005 at 11:50 PM
Well, what Bluesims did was first she put a block of matching color there, and covered up the old shirt with it - and then she smudge the edges of the shirt to do some nice blending and make it all look like it belongs.

The whole time you need to save the file with the same name, into the projects folder.
Instructor
#91 Old 8th Jan 2006 at 7:45 PM
Well,I have a problem:I downloaded the newest version of the paint shop pro thing. And everything went fine till the point where I had to deform the orange t-shirt,'cause I couldn't find this tool.I know that it exists somewhere, but I can't find it.Perhaps you know and I'm just too stupid...Please tell me
Theorist
#92 Old 11th Jan 2006 at 7:27 PM
Thank you for this simple help for those of us who use Paint Shop. I think I may actually try to do this properly (by reading directions). Danke!

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
Test Subject
#93 Old 13th Jan 2006 at 6:22 PM
thanks for the tutorial! this will really help me in creating some very realistic clothes!
Test Subject
#94 Old 14th Jan 2006 at 5:03 PM
Will this tutorial work with GIMP 2? It's like Paintshop Pro.

(()) Pass the ribbon around if you know someone
//\\that has survived, died or is living with cancer
Object(ive) Investigator
retired moderator
#95 Old 14th Jan 2006 at 7:22 PM
Yes. Bluesims used paintshop pro because thats what she has.

Please don't PM me with questions. Post them in the appropriate thread.
Test Subject
#96 Old 14th Jan 2006 at 7:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
It really depends on a number of factors... How much of a picture are you using? If it's just a little piece to get a texture, and you tweak it a lot, change the colour, etc. so it's pretty much unrecognizable as the original, I think at that point it's changed enough that, under standard copyright law, you're fine. If you're just ripping a picture from a designer clothing site with very little changes, you wouldn't be. Your best bet is to email the site owner telling them what you're doing, that you'll link and give credit for the source material, and then ask for permission to post them.

If you're unable to contact the site owner or unable to get permission (lack of reply, email link, they say no, etc.), your best bet is to create something inspired by the original. If you see a cute pink skirt and you like the fabric texture and that it's pleated, then make something similar, but not from that photo (or from a photo at all). Determine what exactly about it you love, and do that, but different enough that you're not really taking someone's creation, but taking inspiration from it.

Cloning, basically, is the practice of copying someone's game object that has certain behaviors you want to reproduce/modify slightly to make something similar. The practice you describe would not be cloning, just plain old copyright infringement (in most cases). Which is not to say that it isn't done, or that anyone would probably try to go after you for it, but it's a bad idea if you want to keep on the positive side of artistic karma. Get permission first, and you should be fine.

For personal/private use is it alright to copy it exactly?

I have another question that might not belong here, but if someone can give me a link to the appropriate thread, i'd appreciate it. Ok the question:

I've downloaded some clothes from www.simplystyling.de - I'm not allowed to recolor or retexture, but i'm allowed to use the mesh they provided to create my own. How exactly do i do that?
Lab Assistant
#97 Old 14th Jan 2006 at 11:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jaxad0127
Oh and heres the link to the English version of Paintshop Pro X: http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satell...d=1047025488099
i have that, but i dont know how to paste pics on it. so i use paint to paste, PSP X for little modifying, and photoshop for blurring the edges
Object(ive) Investigator
retired moderator
#98 Old 15th Jan 2006 at 2:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by punkmonkey123
i have that, but i dont know how to paste pics on it. so i use paint to paste, PSP X for little modifying, and photoshop for blurring the edges
Have you tried Edit\Paste Special\<desired paste option here>?

Please don't PM me with questions. Post them in the appropriate thread.
Lab Assistant
#99 Old 15th Jan 2006 at 3:20 PM
is there any way to create clothes and hair without photoshop

[COLOR=Yellow]I love the Lord, Jesus Christ, and yellow!!!!! Psalms 139:23-24 look it up if you have a Bible, because I don't want to type it all.
#100 Old 15th Jan 2006 at 5:28 PM
I have been really struggling with this, I can get to the stage when I need to check how they look on body shop and then when I try to refresh on body shop it won't open it a box comes up saying that it isn't right and I am not sure what to do :S
Page 4 of 13