Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Alchemist
#76 Old 22nd Jun 2013 at 5:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kennyinbmore
There have been several attempts already mentioned in this thread which is the point

Of course they count. They're life simualtion games.

They count as life simulation games, not as several "attempts" to compete with the Sims games. Singles is mostly focused on romance, the Desperate Housewives game is storyline-driven with elements of mystery and gossip, and the Partners game takes place in an office environment. Only in an office environment.
The sims has been out for over a decade, you're telling me EA has the only programmers and developers that can make a life simulation game in that time?

No, I am not. But we are discussing an alternative to the Sims games here and not just any life simulation game, correct?
Or is it no one wants to take on a company that has customers who will buy the product even if they don't like it?

It's kind of a Catch 22.

Because there is no competent alternative to the Sims games, customers turn to EA for their sim-related needs with the hope that either a modder will fix what's broken or that EA will eventually give customers what they have been asking for.
Advertisement
Alchemist
#77 Old 22nd Jun 2013 at 5:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Original_Sim
customers turn to EA for their sim-related needs with the hope that either a modder will fix what's broken or that EA will eventually give customers what they have been asking for.

Which is why there's no alternative. If I'm a developer, why would I sink millions(or whatever it costs to develop a game) into a competing game when EA's customers have that mentality.
Alchemist
#78 Old 22nd Jun 2013 at 6:04 PM
Which is why there's no alternative. If I'm a developer, why would I sink millions(or whatever it costs to develop a game) into a competing game when EA's customers have that mentality.

To show EA's customers what they're missing? Wouldn't you rather have a decent game with minimal bugs out of the box instead of a game that needs to be modded to work right?
Alchemist
#79 Old 22nd Jun 2013 at 6:59 PM
To show EA's customers what they're missing?

That's called a gamble. Not a good thing in business
Alchemist
#80 Old 22nd Jun 2013 at 7:11 PM
That's called a gamble. Not a good thing in business

You can't expect to run a business without risk. Releasing the Sims 4 would be a gamble, too. You can't be 100% certain that it's going to succeed.
Lab Assistant
#81 Old 23rd Jun 2013 at 8:36 AM Last edited by enterprise24 : 23rd Jun 2013 at 8:46 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by GnatGoSplat
Yeah, but check CPU utilization, it's probably pretty high. TS3 runs all 4 cores of my AMD 965 oc'd to 4.0GHz at almost full blast. I've found it's almost as good as OCCT at stability/temperature testing my overclocks.

Agree. If I can play sims for 1hour and no BSOD then my OC is stable
Sims is very very heavily CPU intensive.
Here is my CPU utilization 2500K @ 5.0Ghz
It use lot of process power because I play in ultra speed.
When I saw graph I hesitate this is Crysis3 or The Sims 3

Test Subject
#82 Old 23rd Jun 2013 at 12:30 PM
You can't expect to run a business without risk. Releasing the Sims 4 would be a gamble, too. You can't be 100% certain that it's going to succeed.

Yes, You're absolutely right. Taking and managing risk is the very essence of business survival and growth.
Alchemist
#83 Old 24th Jun 2013 at 2:43 PM

Sure you can. There are simmers who would buy TS4 even if the reviews were horrible. Again how many times have you seen a post here that said "this expansion doesn't appeal to me, but I'll buy it anyway." There are people right now on this forum who have already stated they're going to buy it and we literally know nothing about it yet.
Alchemist
#84 Old 24th Jun 2013 at 7:19 PM Last edited by Original_Sim : 24th Jun 2013 at 7:36 PM.
Sure you can. There are simmers who would buy TS4 even if the reviews were horrible.

If the reviews were horrible, I doubt it'd be considered a success. People bought the new SimCity but I don't think EA considers that a success.

Again how many times have you seen a post here that said "this expansion doesn't appeal to me, but I'll buy it anyway." There are people right now on this forum who have already stated they're going to buy it and we literally know nothing about it yet.

Again, because of the lack of a decent alternative. Simmers who settle on EPs they never wanted also rely on mods and/or hope that EA will eventually give them what they want. Some buy EPs just to stay up-to-date with their custom content (e.g. Awesomemod) because there are cases where if you don't have the latest EP, you won't be able to use certain mods. Some simmers buy EPs for items and features that they can't get anywhere else even though they may not be satisfied with the expansion itself.

If they can get what they want from another company without having to mod their game or wait for an expansion pack to come out, I don't think they'll keep buying unwanted expansions from EA.

By the way, not all of us succumb to EA's marketing tactics. If an expansion pack doesn't appeal to me, I'll hold on to my wallet.
Alchemist
#85 Old 24th Jun 2013 at 10:20 PM
If the reviews were horrible, I doubt it'd be considered a success. People bought the new SimCity but I don't think EA considers that a success.

Quote:
EA’s press release celebrating the game’s sales numbers made no mention of the connectivity issues, though there is a mention of the game contributing to a record-breaking number of concurrent users on the publisher’s online distribution service, Origin, at 1.3 million.

The launch was a failure thanks to the server issues but I doubt anyone at EA considers those numbers a failure.

Again, because of the lack of a decent alternative. Simmers who settle on EPs they never wanted also rely on mods and/or hope that EA will eventually give them what they want.

If they can get what they want from another company without having to mod their game or wait for an expansion pack to come out, I don't think they'll keep buying unwanted expansions from EA.

By the way, not all of us succumb to EA's marketing tactics. If an expansion pack doesn't appeal to me, I'll hold on to my wallet.

I feel like a broken record. Why do you think no other company has made a serious effort to cut into the life simulator genre market since 2000? Seems to me if you have a company doing a lousy job at it, it would be prime opportunity for another company to step in. No company has.
Alchemist
#86 Old 24th Jun 2013 at 11:50 PM
I feel like a broken record. Why do you think no other company has made a serious effort to cut into the life simulator genre market since 2000?

When I was talking about an alternative to the Sims games I was not referring to just any game that can be considered a life simulation, which is far too broad. There are other games in the life simulation genre, but they are limited in ways that the Sims games are not. Many of the ones that exist were not made to compete with the Sims. They were made for entirely different reasons with different goals (e.g. farming, romance, work, etc).

The Sims is like a melting pot for different aspects of life. It has "ingredients" that can be found in other games whereas other games have only two or three of these ingredients. Some may even base their premise on just one ingredient, like romance. The Singles game is heavily focused on romance but does not include pregnancy, children and life stages.

Seems to me if you have a company doing a lousy job at it, it would be prime opportunity for another company to step in. No company has.

At the moment, yes. This could change in the future.
Field Researcher
#87 Old 25th Jun 2013 at 4:15 PM
Check out La Vida for a life-sim that is going to directly compete with The Sims.
Mad Poster
#88 Old 25th Jun 2013 at 7:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by heat33330
Check out La Vida for a life-sim that is going to directly compete with The Sims.

I wish 'em luck, especially in the shadow of Sims 4. Maybe this company might shake EA out of its complacency. They are going to have a tough road to travel, though. And if they do anything even vaguely Sims-ish, EA is not going to be amused and will show its displeasure quite openly.

(The game has a bit of a Sims 1-ish feel to me. It might be my imagination.)

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Field Researcher
#89 Old 25th Jun 2013 at 7:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by heat33330

I would definitely love to choose another game over The Sims franchise, but it would have to have all of the things I want that EA isn't giving me - things like advanced character creation and realistic graphics, more romantic adult gameplay, and a much better build mode. Sadly, La Vida doesn't look like it will have any of those things.

amor vincit omnia
Field Researcher
#90 Old 25th Jun 2013 at 8:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gazania
I wish 'em luck, especially in the shadow of Sims 4. Maybe this company might shake EA out of its complacency. They are going to have a tough road to travel, though. And if they do anything even vaguely Sims-ish, EA is not going to be amused and will show its displeasure quite openly.

(The game has a bit of a Sims 1-ish feel to me. It might be my imagination.)

I thought it had that TS1 feel too, especially the console version. I'll probably stick to TS2 and heavily modded TS3 but it does look interesting nonetheless.
Instructor
#91 Old 17th Dec 2013 at 10:38 AM
Never going to happen. Too many sims players with 5-10 year old machines won't be able to run it. That equals lost revenue to EA

actually My PC is 5 years Old since I bought it in 2008 I stil can handle some HD games less lag But since we see the final production of TS4 that graphics you've been post is not like that anymore, it is more just like a Cartoony Sims 2 like but in some way the Sims in TS4 is much better than TS3

"Keep Calm and Play with STYLE"
#My Avatar: Nick Johnson
Download Policy
MrDensilter tumblr account.
Hitman Legacy Challenge
Hitman Challenge MTS
The Green House Challenge
Alchemist
#92 Old 17th Dec 2013 at 2:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MrDensilter
but in some way the Sims in TS4 is much better than TS3

We know nothing about TS4
Mad Poster
#93 Old 17th Dec 2013 at 6:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MrDensilter
but in some way the Sims in TS4 is much better than TS3

...you're joking right?
Field Researcher
#94 Old 17th Dec 2013 at 8:45 PM Last edited by cece15624 : 19th Dec 2013 at 6:35 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by lil bag2
...you're joking right?

Sorry, but how is TS3 graphics better then TS4 graphics? In my opinion Sims 4 graphics are definitely better then the bobble-heads we have now. TS3 isn't realistic, unless people think taking a car out of your ass and teleporting inside is lifelike then I guess they're right. Never thought the sims in 3 were realistic, never will. I guess to each his own. I'm ready for you disagree wagon.

❤"Don't cry because its over, smile because it happened"❤"It's okay for you to disagree with me I can't force you to be right"❤"I don't care what anybody says, sleep is my BFF"❤
Instructor
#95 Old 17th Dec 2013 at 9:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by cece15624

Sorry, but how is TS3 graphics better then TS4 graphics? In my opinion Sims 4 graphics are definitely better then the bobble-heads we have now. TS3 isn't realistic, unless people think taking a car out of your ass and teleporting inside is lifelike then I guess they're right. Never thought the sims in 3 were realistic, never will. I guess to each his own. I'm ready for you disagree wagon

I'm gonna agree with this, I definitley think that the Sims 4 face looks a lot more shapely and glamorous than the Sims 3 one, then again the one in the middle is a Sims 3 default "pudding" face, which looks not good until extensive work is done in CAS.
Mad Poster
#96 Old 17th Dec 2013 at 10:34 PM
I don't think that we should focus on graphics per se but on texture detailing. TS2 had little details on all of its objects like scratches, stickers, warning labels, bar codes, etc that you don't see in TS3 very often. Everything in TS3 has a really low texture detail (lower than TS2, as evidenced by some conversions) as well as less details such as curves on leaves of potted plants (TS3's are very boxy which could've been avoided). Sure, there's HQMod, but it doesn't run well for everybody. I just hope that TS4 has HD textures like it should - TS2 came pretty damn close with how detailed some of the CC could get. I still like zooming in on things and being able to read small print on objects in TS2. On TS3 it's just blur, blur, blur without mods.

Angie/DS | Baby Sterling - 24/2/2014
This account is mostly used by my sons to download CC now, if you see me active, it's probably just them!
Test Subject
#97 Old 18th Dec 2013 at 10:07 AM
The graphics on ts4 wont be that good, but they did announce on twitter they already started making sims 5 so it may look like gta5 .
Field Researcher
#98 Old 18th Dec 2013 at 1:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by JJheartsSims
The graphics on ts4 wont be that good, but they did announce on twitter they already started making sims 5 so it may look like gta5 .

They haven't even made a life stage besides adult for Sims 4, why would they start The Sims 5? I don't want Gta V graphics, I want a good game. The Sims has always been cartoony so I don't get why people want it to be realistic and multiplayer all the time. What a way to ruin the series

❤"Don't cry because its over, smile because it happened"❤"It's okay for you to disagree with me I can't force you to be right"❤"I don't care what anybody says, sleep is my BFF"❤
Instructor
#99 Old 18th Dec 2013 at 2:26 PM Last edited by litlegothcat13 : 18th Dec 2013 at 2:47 PM.
Personally, I agree with EA that the sims should be stylized, and I agree with them that's how the sims in 4 look like. You might disagree, but if I think if one takes out the bright colour palette they've chosen, the sims look like a good compromise between realism and style. Other than the hair, but when has EA hair not sucked ? (well, I did like how they were animated in 2 though)

I completely and utterly disagree with those that want ultra realistic sims, not only because it'd be a system killer for a lot of simmers, but because it's not the style I even remotely want. And just like I like glamorous hairs that most people dislike in favour of more practical styles, but I don't go out of my way to put down EA for not going with my personal taste, neither is it fair for ultra realism fans to do it. I hated the look of the Sims 3, but I always respected those that did like it and didn't whine at EA about it, even though that utterly killed my enjoyment of the game. I've only been bringing it up recently because haters of TS4 look are making such a huge fuss and want EA to change it because otherwise they won't play the game, but when Sims 2 players say they couldn't switch to 3 because they can't stand the graphics, they mostly are dismissed as old schoolers that hate everything that isn't TS2. How is that fair?

While I completely agree that everyone can complain about gameplay, complaining to EA about graphics because it's not your style sounds petty. Unless it's because everything is blocky and blurry, your personal tastes shouldn't be the developers main priority, because a lot of gamers will disagree and they have just as much right to have their tastes prioritized as you do. This is something that should be left for CC for each user to tweak to their own liking.

What I do want, is a good game like Cece said. Because even when I put aside my hate for everything graphics related to TS3, I still got stuck with a coding joke for a game, that not only fails in basic things like a FPS limiter, but it's riddled with glitches (I swear the thing invented something new each time I played) and didn't let me play as I wanted (rotational play is impossible without mods, not being able to make new hoods without the pain that was CAW, too much focus on the adult stage, etc). That's not something mods can fix, and by god, TS3 modders tried so hard to do it.
Scholar
#100 Old 18th Dec 2013 at 5:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by cece15624
I don't want Gta V graphics, I want a good game.

Amen! Same here!
Page 4 of 5