Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Attraction Traits Fix (V1.06) for BV+

by tunaisafish Posted 12th Feb 2009 at 7:42 PM - Updated 7th Jun 2010 at 2:25 AM by tunaisafish : Added Alienism version

65 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 53 Feedback Posts, 11 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 2 of 3
Slippery When Wet
Original Poster
#26 Old 23rd Mar 2009 at 6:14 AM Last edited by tunaisafish : 23rd Mar 2009 at 6:30 AM.
I replaced it because it never happens You've lost nothing.

You dress your sims in custom hair.
If you're changing it in the mirror then you'll see the highlighted icon jump back to the previous hair colour.
The *previous* colour is the trait that the game reports. Never custom.

It's explained in the doc.

If you do ever find a custom hair that actually works, then please let me know. We can then work out how to fix all the EA custom hair ingame and all the CC custom hair that Used to work perfectly fine.

Edited to add.
Yesterday, I released a mod for testing at my own site. It's stable, just not here yet as I'm still working on it.
That will show current traits (among many other things) set on any of your sims and also the "raw" binning information that the game reports.
Test Subject
#27 Old 10th Apr 2009 at 3:49 AM
FYI, installing this mod caused every lot in the neighborhood to reset.

I downloaded it yesterday (April 8), and the zip archive contains a text file and a package file. Both files are dated February 7. Is that the most up-to-date version?

Config info: I'm running the base game plus the first six EPs (Uni through BV), no EPs.
Slippery When Wet
Original Poster
#28 Old 10th Apr 2009 at 5:49 AM
Hi Maygus. Thanks for the report and yes this is the latest version.
The one that was confirmed to cause a reset was never posted at MTS2.

Could you go into one of the lots that has been reset. Just look and don't save.
Then exit the game and remove this mod.
Is the lot still in the reset state when you enter it again?
Test Subject
#29 Old 10th Apr 2009 at 4:39 PM
Hi Tuna, I tried saving one lot (just because I was curious) and left the rest alone. Here's what happened.

I started with a fresh copy of The Sims 2 directory, copied from my most recent backup, and added your mod. I started the game and checked the occupied lots - they were all reset. Then I saved one lot only and quit the game.

I removed your mod and restarted. The unsaved lots were back in their "unreset" state, as if nothing had happened, and the saved lot was reset again.

Hope this helps.
Slippery When Wet
Original Poster
#30 Old 11th Apr 2009 at 3:07 AM
Thanks Maygus.

Quote: Originally posted by Maygus
I started with a fresh copy of The Sims 2 directory, copied from my most recent backup, and added your mod. I started the game and checked the occupied lots - they were all reset. Then I saved one lot only and quit the game.

Before you added this mod, was your Downloads folder in the exact same state it was when you last made the backup?

Quote:
I removed your mod and restarted. The unsaved lots were back in their "unreset" state, as if nothing had happened, and the saved lot was reset again.

That's puzzling, as a reset normally effects all lots, not just one.

At the moment I'm lost for ideas as to why this would happen. While I know some of the things that will definely cause a reset, and some things that I would expect to cause a reset which don't, the reason for this one evades me. I'll add a warning to the first post for those that have BV as their latest EP.
Test Subject
#31 Old 12th Apr 2009 at 4:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tunaisafish
Before you added this mod, was your Downloads folder in the exact same state it was when you last made the backup?

Yes, your mod was the only new item in the Downloads folder; and before adding your mod, I verified that the occupied lots were "normal" (i.e. not yet reset).

That's puzzling, as a reset normally effects all lots, not just one.

This is guesswork but here's what (I think) is going on: apparently, the game stores state information for each lot someplace other than the lot file itself - in one of the cache files perhaps? When you enter a lot, the game compares state variables in the lot file to state variables in a cache file and if they're different, it resets the lot.

When I saved one of the occupied lots, its state variables were set to the new values associated with your mod. Then when I deleted your mod and re-entered that lot, the game found that the state variables didn't match and reset the lot again.

At the moment I'm lost for ideas as to why this would happen. While I know some of the things that will definely cause a reset, and some things that I would expect to cause a reset which don't, the reason for this one evades me.

Could you enumerate some of the things that cause lots to reset? I've been curious about this for a while now.
Slippery When Wet
Original Poster
#32 Old 19th Apr 2009 at 4:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Maygus
Could you enumerate some of the things that cause lots to reset? I've been curious about this for a while now.

It's probably a question better suited to the modding discussion areas.
In short though...

Yep, at a minimum the objects will need to save the bhav and node that they were running when saved (as well as all the object variables). For that reason I'd expect any mod made using the SimPE 'sort' option to cause a reset, but they don't. So maybe the node is just referenced by number.

Things that are important...
1) Number of nodes in the bhav. Deleting nodes in a bhav sometimes causes a reset.

2) Version numbers. A lower version number seems to always cause a reset.

3) Adding a call to another bhav. If the called bhav has a lower version number it also seems to cause the reset. This can often be worked around by 'inlining' the code.

Oh, if the bhav version numbers are actually 2 bytes (as displayed in SimPE) then they are negative (lower numbers are higher versions). If they are only 1 byte then they are positive and the high byte is an unknown.

Generally, when EA edit bhav's they 'increase' the version number and leave existing nodes intact (even if they are unlinked). New nodes are appended to the end. This makes it look like spaghetti code in SimPE, but it makes sense if you consider state information.
Lab Assistant
#33 Old 30th May 2009 at 8:25 PM
Just wondering, does conflict with any other mods? Say possibly SimBlender?

"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc." We gladly feast on those who would subdue us.
Not just pretty words." -Addams Family
Test Subject
#34 Old 18th Jun 2009 at 8:15 PM
ok, am i missing somthing??? my sim is a ofb shop owner and still says unemployed... i installed the mod lastnight and some things seem better like attractions but the darn unemployed is still there this is so annoying... why would maxis think that self employed people are like bums and unemployed.. anyway any help would be appreciated i have all ep's except uni and all bonus packs except glamour and h&m thanks
Forum Resident
#35 Old 17th Aug 2009 at 6:11 PM
Woo!

Thanks so much!

Does reading dumb signatures make you feel powerful in some way?
Test Subject
#36 Old 28th Sep 2009 at 10:50 PM
I'm glad for this. I have apartment life and I haven't noticed any weirdness with attraction.. until one sims turn off was unemployed. I called the matchmaker and the male she set for my sims was unemployed and yet she thought he was hot{{ sim hot xD }} and I didn't get it! It was weird!

But now I can fix it. Thankies!
Top Secret Researcher
#37 Old 7th Oct 2009 at 11:41 PM
darn. i would download, but my latest EP is Bon Voyage. oh well. SUPERB fix, tho! I plan on buying apartment life anyway, so i'll be sure to come back!
Forum Resident
#38 Old 2nd Nov 2009 at 11:03 PM
Thanks!
Field Researcher
#39 Old 30th Jan 2010 at 7:57 PM Last edited by eeyore226 : 5th Feb 2010 at 10:28 PM.
If freetime is my latest EP would my lots still reset? And what does "reset" exactly entail? Such as reverting back to their "freshly moved in after being made" state?
Test Subject
#40 Old 12th Feb 2010 at 12:31 AM
Since the last post about BV lots resetting was forever ago, I was wondering if the resetting problem was able to be fixed? I don't want to risk it!
Thank you very much.
Field Researcher
#41 Old 12th Feb 2010 at 7:09 PM
Yeah, neither do I! I have up until freetime, but I'm too afraid to download it. I'd really like to... Since it's so retarted how the turn-ons were messed up!
Lab Assistant
#42 Old 13th Aug 2010 at 9:39 PM
so, this one replaces the custom hair trait? Because I would love to download this, but I really don't want to replace the custom hair trait.

<Just a broken heart that the world forgot. </3>
Field Researcher
#43 Old 21st Oct 2010 at 12:25 AM Last edited by Slig : 22nd Jul 2012 at 12:48 AM. Reason: Changed link for the image as it was dead, got a PM from someone about it :)
Rosemary234, try reading, the whole point is that the custom hair trait does NOT work! You can check this by going into SimPE, finding a character who you know definitely has custom hair and checking their traits. Instead of custom hair it will have lycanthropy (werewolf) set instead. IT'S POINTLESS.

Now, to the reason I am posting here. I love this mod but the alien icon contained within is hideous. Sorry, but it creeped me out. So I changed it. I used SaraMK's extracted icons at MATY for the standard alien icon and used that instead (thank you, SaraMK). If you want to replace it you will have to be able to use SimPE but it's not too hard. The hard part was the alpha channel for the icon! I'm not uploading the whole package 'cause I don't want to step on Tunaisafish's toes so here is the replaced image for you to use.

https://www.box.com/s/15b64eb6b50875986612

You should probably make a copy of the file to play with before attempting this so you don't bugger up your original if you are not proficient in SimPE. Then you will always have your original to get right back to where you were.

1. Open the copy of Tunaisafish's Attraction Fix package in SimPE.

2. On the left column, under "AllRes" click "jpg/tga/png (IMG)".

3. On the right hand column the image will now be listed. Select it, right click and choose "Clone".

4. A new listing will appear below the original image in italics (slanted text for the stupid).

5. Choose the listing in italics (that's slanted text again, stupid) and right-click. Choose "Replace".

6. Find the image from the zip I have posted above. It is called 856DDBAC-00000000-499DB772-30020005.tga. Put it on your desktop for easy findings. If you are on Windows you will have to select "All files of type" in the dropdown menu for the tga image to show.

7. Choose the new tga file and ok (or Open for Windows).

8. SimPE will pop up a little window asking if it should reload with the new image, choose Yes.

9. Delete the original image listed above the new (in italics) one by selecting it, right clicking and choosing Delete.

10. Save the file and exit SimPE. Load the game (remember to add your new package to the downloads folder after taking out the original). Check the image is showing and you're gold.

Hope this helps anyone else who was creeped out.

Back to lurking...
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#44 Old 25th Nov 2010 at 2:14 AM
what makes the custom hair trait attraction useless?
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#45 Old 28th Nov 2010 at 3:32 AM
Useless = Broken. What makes EA release so many patches?
Forum Resident
#46 Old 6th Mar 2011 at 10:24 PM
Lots still reset when the latest EP is FreeTime (patched), even if BV is not installed. As far as I can see, it looks like the same sort of reset that occurs after installing a new EP.
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#47 Old 18th Mar 2011 at 3:52 AM
Thank you! I was wondering why some of my sims were flagged with the lycanthropy trait when they weren't and had never been werewolves. Now I know...and can fix it!
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#48 Old 25th May 2011 at 5:20 PM
Awesome! Now I'm just waiting for someone to add skintone and eye color to attractors!
Theorist
THANKS POST
#49 Old 11th Jun 2011 at 3:46 PM
Lot reset occurs with AP, however, it happens only once per lot. Afterwards you load the same lot and everything is fine.

For those wondering what lot reset is about: sim motives become default, and their wishes start to roll anew. It's like you play the lot for the very first time, nothing fatal.

It's a nice and useful mod, now finally setting the jewelry trait works.
Mad Poster
#50 Old 4th Apr 2012 at 9:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by salamanderer
Awesome! Now I'm just waiting for someone to add skintone and eye color to attractors!

I second that! I mean, if sims are going to be racist against witches and other paranormals, or prefer certain colours of hair, why can't they also prefer eye colours and skintones? It would make for some great stories!
Page 2 of 3