Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

EP compatible - Medieval fairgrounds set (12pieces) Recolourable

by Brasstex Posted 24th Mar 2005 at 7:53 PM - Updated 26th Jun 2005 at 10:03 PM by Brasstex

175 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 173 Feedback Posts, 1 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 3 of 8
Field Researcher
#51 Old 27th Mar 2005 at 1:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Brasstex
Hi, makabaer, I'd be happy to do that for you, but I don't know what is EP only in this package. Here's a list of the objects that I cloned to make this:

Grillinator "Big BBQ"
Exceptionally Expensive Clothing Collator
Canonical column
Show and Stow produce bin
Veggie stuff produce bin
Up Up and Away column
Old fashioned Change room

If you can tell me which of those Maxis items you don't have then that's the one.

Brasstex

Hi Brasstex!
Honestly speaking I don't have a clue either as I play the German version of Sims2 and thus all objects are named differently.
Hmmm.... thinking about it - the German name is a translation of course so it should be possible for me to figure it out

Actually I think that none of your objects requires the EP - the problem with the lot was just that you used EP-items on it.

Well, anyway - I will download and find it out

(Will take some time as my pc has some problems right now... but I will come back and tell you when I've done it)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#52 Old 27th Mar 2005 at 3:40 AM
Hi, makabaer, please do let me know how the objects work for you, which ones do or don't. I would like to make a set that EVERYONE can use, EP or no EP. You could help me alot with your test.

Thanks again,

Brasstex
Forum Resident
#53 Old 27th Mar 2005 at 6:30 PM
Hey, Brassetex? Can these be recolored for use with the trashed stuff? I'd love to make the wood a weathered tone. Please let me know, okay?
They are awsome, just fantastic.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#54 Old 27th Mar 2005 at 11:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by dewshine
Hey, Brassetex? Can these be recolored for use with the trashed stuff?

Hi, dewshine, I don't mind if you recolour them, but there's two things:

1: I didn't make them recolourable, so you'd have to do that yourself, with SimPE and the CEP.

2: If you do decide to do that, make sure you include my name in there somewhere.

Brasstex
Forum Resident
#55 Old 28th Mar 2005 at 1:30 AM Last edited by dewshine : 28th Mar 2005 at 3:24 AM.
Okay, got ya. I will have wait until I feel a bit more used to sim pe first, LOL.
Ah, nuts to waiting. I found a tutorial on the subject. If (a big one here) I sucessfully enable these items I'll post the modifications here in this thread. Then you can do what you like with them as they are your items and I just want to recolor them. So off I go into the depths of SimPE 33....leave a candle burning.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#56 Old 28th Mar 2005 at 4:00 AM
Okay, got ya. I will have wait until I feel a bit more used to sim pe first, LOL.
Ah, nuts to waiting. I found a tutorial on the subject.

That will be great, you post them here, and as long as they work good, I'll put them at the top of the thread and I'm sure many people would thank you. 12 is a lot of objects to make recolourable though, but if you can do it, then more power to ya!

Brasstex
Lab Assistant
#57 Old 28th Mar 2005 at 7:07 AM
I cant wait to get home and try this!!! Thanks Brasstex
Forum Resident
#58 Old 29th Mar 2005 at 12:59 AM
Okay I've dug into the files you made. The 3 parts of the veggie cart are already enabled, as are the BBQ, the clothing booth tent and the fabric rack clothing display. (SimPE gives an error opening the clothing rack and changing tent files but still makes valid recolor packages as far as I can tell)
The other items show white in SimPE (I'm using v.33) and are not enabled. I am not sure why they show white in the preview, any ideas about that?
What would help me is knowing what items you cloned for each item I'm having problems with. They are:
the arrow target
the fair banner
the triangle banner
the fence
the 4-pole tent
the awning.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#59 Old 29th Mar 2005 at 2:21 AM Last edited by Brasstex : 29th Mar 2005 at 2:26 AM.
Hey, nice work dewshine! I think the reason that you're having trouble recolouring those objects you mentioned is because I had to add extra textures and Material Definitions. So whereas they had one before they have two now. I believe they are cloned canonical columns, but the catalog should still use the original name for them, I left that alone on purpose. I hope you're able to make those objects recolourable too!

Brasstex
Forum Resident
#60 Old 29th Mar 2005 at 2:28 AM
Um, okay. I'll look at them some more and see if I can't figure out how to enable those. for some reason I'm missing a step in the process. Maybe I should go re-read the tutorial! One interesting thing I noticed is that the middle piece for the veggie cart is linked to the original textures whereas the end pieces are not. But no matter, I'll make extra produce options to fill in the gaps. I think you are a super mesh maker and am honored that you trust me to muck around inside your files!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#61 Old 29th Mar 2005 at 2:30 AM
sounds like you're doing a good job to me. Thanks for doing this, I'm sure everyone would be happy to change the colours on these if possible, so thanks to you!

Brasstex
Test Subject
#62 Old 29th Mar 2005 at 7:06 AM
If I remember correctly:

Show and Stow produce bin
Veggie stuff produce bin

Are both part of the Exp Pack.. But I could be wrong.. I don't recall seeing vegtables for sale anywhere in the base sims pre-exp pack...
Forum Resident
#63 Old 29th Mar 2005 at 2:37 PM Last edited by dewshine : 30th Mar 2005 at 8:35 PM.
No cyber-surfer, those items are normal sims2 stuff, look in the community stuff as that is where they are located. It is how sims can buy food instead of ordering it for delivery. (The commuhity items are accessed in a community lot from the houses and lots bin build mode)
....Brassex I'm still working on it. I took a break and recolored a drum kit, a metal kettle BBQ, and a communial shower. My head just doesn't want to cope with the confusing world of inner SimPE all in one go
But after a nice nap I think I'm ready to dig some more.

Okay I had a breakthrough, I got the barricade recolorable! I had to clone the object to do it, so it looks like I'll have to clone the others I'm having problems on too. I hope that's okay, Brassex. Anyhow here are some teaser pics....

Well those Banners are interesting to say the least. Here's a pic showing my current progress. The poles are two seperate subsets so I can't see a way to enable recolors for both of them....so I tried the "weeds" at the base of one pole and the banner itself...Big weirdness. Look at the pic!

I'm going to have to go back and change something! As I point out in the pic the "Weeds" pulled the graphic from the other banner option!...Any ideas on how to assign 2 parts to one thing so that I can do the poles?
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#64 Old 31st Mar 2005 at 7:15 PM
I'm not sure what to do, Numenor is the resident recolour master, so if you have the opportunity you might want to ask him.

Brasstex
Forum Resident
#65 Old 31st Mar 2005 at 7:27 PM
LOL, I figured it out, actually. I can only enable the signs because the poles are two items. The "weeds" seem to be something extra in your mesh that are invisible most of the time (unless they are enabled for color options). Now I have another problem...The Items have thumbnails amd options but are reverting to the default texture when leaving and reentering. I think it's because you used "_" in the original name, so I'm trying replacing them with "-" to see if that stops the problem. So far the only item I cannot get enabled is the gosh darn tent! I have the barricade, both banners, the awning, and the arrow target wood recolorable but the tent is stubborn. I can easily recolor the poles, but damn I want to do the top!...

I do have a request: Do you have the map you used for the awning? Recoloring the entire swatch colors the poles too, and I'd love to know if there is a strip the pole pull color from so that that can be marked on the default swatch.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#66 Old 31st Mar 2005 at 11:46 PM

I do have a request: Do you have the map you used for the awning? Recoloring the entire swatch colors the poles too, and I'd love to know if there is a strip the pole pull color from so that that can be marked on the default swatch.

Sorry I didn't answer sooner, I must have missed this earlier. As far as the burlap awning goes, I was never able to locate the area that is responsible for the poles. It didn't cause any trouble for me, since the colour I used worked for the poles and the awning. Sorry.

Brasstex
Forum Resident
#67 Old 1st Apr 2005 at 2:05 AM Last edited by dewshine : 2nd Apr 2005 at 2:39 PM.
Default adding, hehe
That's okay, LOL....I'll do a test with bright blocks and stripes until I find it.....

Well, a day later... I know why you couldn't find the area Brassex, the poles use 3 entire pixels off the entire graphic! That's right, 3 tiny blobs. So after spending hours searching I scrapped the idea and went with blue poles after all.

Now I'm gonna have to say that the tent and the middle part of the veggie cart (the one with no wheel) gave me all types of grief.
To get the tent enabled I had to let it use the wood texture for the default color. It still uses that texture for the poles which I left un-enabled. (I got the top, so I'm happy that there are choices for that at least).
To get that non-wheeled section enabled it was easier to let it pull the default colors for the object you cloned...which is cool, really because it will make a neat display that looks mounted against the wall and all the recolors anyone has for the maxis item will work on it. It also means that the maxis item is the piece that has to be used for making new textures for it...

Your original textures for both items are now recolor options....

Other than that I can say that I've learned a lot about the insides of these packages by enabling this set. It wasn't easy, but it was fun. I'll be happy to enable anything you make (or try to...except the cloister column, because it can't be due to the item you cloned it off of...or at least the University version... :D)

Everything else went okay. I only enabled the back of the arrow target because I thought that the target itself was cool as is. The BBQ rock is color enabled. The linen rack has new fabric choices (the original wood can't be changed in either it or the maxis version). Well....enough explaining here are some pics and the file with the altered files (I ended up keeping your names after all, the problem I was having was not related to that). They have thumbnails. the recolors "stick" when leaving and reentering the lot...

(the file is in the first post!)
Screenshots
Forum Resident
#68 Old 2nd Apr 2005 at 4:13 AM
*BUMB*

I just want Brassex and everyone to see this so I'm double posting (well the enteries are over a day apart)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#69 Old 2nd Apr 2005 at 2:29 PM
Okay, I posted dewshine's recolour package at the top of the thread in the first post now. It's excellent and worth re-downloading. Thanks dewshine!

Brasstex
Forum Resident
#70 Old 2nd Apr 2005 at 2:45 PM
LOL, thank you kindly. I'm off to do the roof pieces for the castle. (well I done actually, but I need to make the "requested" teal and white/gold pieces :D)
Field Researcher
#71 Old 2nd Apr 2005 at 7:52 PM
This is awesome, Thanks so much!
Forum Resident
#72 Old 8th Apr 2005 at 2:49 AM
This recolor:
and many more to come can be found here:http://www.modthesims2.com/showthre...3660#post353660
Test Subject
#73 Old 8th Apr 2005 at 7:50 AM
cool idea I like it alot
Field Researcher
#74 Old 8th Apr 2005 at 11:18 PM
Woah! I enjoy these items.
They all show up for me, and they are so fantastic to have. Thank you very much for sharing your work, I am so grateful.
Lab Assistant
#75 Old 9th Apr 2005 at 5:26 PM
I dont know if its my graphics or what, but the banners are real fuzzy, cant even make out the second one. This may sound stupid but how cdan anyone buy clothes wothout a cash register? Will there be a medival style gold bag or something...or will we just have to use a regualr register in our market places?
Page 3 of 8