Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#351 Old 17th Oct 2012 at 3:11 AM
I actually like the challenge of having awkward structural elements-when everyone else faces the same challenge. I also like challenges that use only Maxis content-again when everyone else faces the same thing. If it's just something I'm doing by myself I'm quick to rip things up, but seeing we are all working with the same stair/door placement I think it makes it fun. Annoying but fun.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#352 Old 17th Oct 2012 at 9:08 AM Last edited by Lucia940 : 17th Oct 2012 at 11:19 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
I actually like the challenge of having awkward structural elements-when everyone else faces the same challenge. I also like challenges that use only Maxis content-again when everyone else faces the same thing. If it's just something I'm doing by myself I'm quick to rip things up, but seeing we are all working with the same stair/door placement I think it makes it fun. Annoying but fun.

I don't like the challenges with the homes because I'm not really a builder and it takes me longer to decide on how to fix the problem. I'm more of a sim creator. I like building sims and I like decorating, I just can't build a house properly. lol I'd rather choose hair than bricks, but you have to learn if you want to play. I think I like the sledge hammer tool the best of all in the building world. lol

Click The Spoiler Tag: to see the houses I think we may have to do in this contest:

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#353 Old 17th Oct 2012 at 11:00 AM
130, 170 and 190 were the three I thought it would be too.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Doing all the things, and *mostly* not failing.
retired moderator
#354 Old 17th Oct 2012 at 1:30 PM
Oh it feels nice to be home again! You can expect my R1 house up later today.

Lucia because you've actually attached your images, the spoiler tag really doesn't help much. You should host those images elsewhere, that way they won't show up at the bottom of your post. I know you have a few of them wrong. As much as I'd love to do the little house in the woods, jones said every house had 2 bedrooms. The first three houses are all very pricey, so I think maybe the second one is the only one that is likely. I'm surprised you didn't include one of the trailer houses. That was an obvious one to me
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#355 Old 17th Oct 2012 at 1:55 PM
I didn't load up any of the houses to look inside, but they might come furnished which would drop the price when items got deleted. I thought about the trailer houses, but didn't think they gave as much of a challenge for decorating, but it's quite a possibility one could be used instead of the more expensive house if it comes empty.

~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
#356 Old 17th Oct 2012 at 2:11 PM
225 Main St is another lot I've used in my original Pleasantview...I put one of my best friends in there once her family had enough money to move out of the trailer she'd started in Her little girl grew up to teen there and was given a lil dog for a birthday pressie :lovestruc

Hehe...just another random "hey! I've used that house!" post

I don't recognise the first 3 though...

Must. Get. My. Game. Loaded.

I'm itching to get the lots for this contest madeover myself, but my disc isn't being recognised yet I go try again...

BTW, I wanna know if Jones is willing to tell you if you guessed any right (not my place to tell you), obviously she isn't gonna tell you which ones if you have, but I'd like to see you lot playing detective a bit more :p

Field Researcher
#357 Old 17th Oct 2012 at 3:22 PM
My very first family in Sims 2 lived on 190 Sim Lane It would be great to remake this house after so many years! :D

I used to play in Pleasantview but I can't actually remember most of the houses pictured in Lucia's post I really need to visit this neighbourhood

And I'm almost sure that one of the houses we'll have to redo will be one of these bungalows near the Brokes :D
Lab Assistant
#358 Old 17th Oct 2012 at 4:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Croutonian

Must. Get. My. Game. Loaded.

I'm itching to get the lots for this contest madeover myself, but my disc isn't being recognised yet I go try again...

BTW, I wanna know if Jones is willing to tell you if you guessed any right (not my place to tell you), obviously she isn't gonna tell you which ones if you have, but I'd like to see you lot playing detective a bit more :p

I was having that problem 2 days ago after I added a bucket load of cc. On internet advise I opened my documents-> E.A games-> The sims 2 folder and deleting the 2 cache files group and accessories and It worked for me give it a try.

I was playing detective 2 and thought the last house was a strong candidate, but I'm open to any
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
Original Poster
#359 Old 17th Oct 2012 at 5:06 PM Last edited by jones7659 : 17th Oct 2012 at 5:39 PM.
2 of the ones Lucia posted are right. I wont tell you which, though And the spoiler still helps with page loading, Phae Which I think is why she did it, so as not to clog the thread with a bunch of in-lines.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#360 Old 17th Oct 2012 at 5:13 PM
I think 225 Main Street and 190 Sim Lane are both viable candidates, as well as one of the trailer homes by the Brokes. The other ones I think might be too big and not doable in the budgets we have. And of course the tiny one is too small for the families we have. :P

And of course there are houses in the lot bin, of which I have no clue as I've deleted mine! rofl

And this now brings another question to mind. If we can add fireplaces, can we remove them altogether? And one of those houses is missing walls, so the game thinks it's outside. Can those be replaced without a loss in points? Assuming of course that house is on the list.
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
Original Poster
#361 Old 17th Oct 2012 at 5:33 PM
HL, you can do as you please with a fireplace Swap it, leave it, completely take it out. And none of the lots I chose are missing walls, at least they don't appear to be, lol, so shouldn't be an issue. I had thought about bin houses, but decided it wouldn't really be a Pleasantview makeover then, since those houses aren't specific to the hood
retired moderator
#362 Old 17th Oct 2012 at 5:57 PM
HL is talking about this house. The upstairs landing is missing a wall under the roof.

It's too bad about the binned houses being ineligible, cuz you can totally tell which binned houses belong to which hoods. Anything sandy is Strangetown and anything tudor is Veronaville, everything else is Pleasantview. There is a really nice woodsy looking one in the bin I'd hoped we'd do.

Usually I have an easy enough time keeping under budget, but Steve has expensive taste!
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
Original Poster
#363 Old 17th Oct 2012 at 6:25 PM
Hmmmm, well by answering the question, I'm about to let you all know for certain that 225 Main St is one of them, but yes, if there is wall missing that should be there, you can fix it. That's true about being able to tell which are "from" which hood, Phae. Maybe I'll dip into the bin for the other cycles
retired moderator
#364 Old 17th Oct 2012 at 6:56 PM
Or you could toss them in now, we don't actually *technically* know what houses you have planned, even though we think we are pretty good at guessing. You can change up your own contest as you like. Especially to screw with us.
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
Original Poster
#365 Old 17th Oct 2012 at 7:01 PM
I'm thinking about it. One of the ones I have lined up I just really don't like. I think I'll toss it out and go with a bin house.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#366 Old 17th Oct 2012 at 10:17 PM
I think I forgot to look at 225 Main Street as I have some sims in there. I probably tossed some bin sims in there and never looked at it again-I hardly ever play Pleasntview.
I don't mind what house we make over, although weather proof ones would be best. It can be hard to tell with some of the strangely build Maxis houses.

~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#367 Old 17th Oct 2012 at 10:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Shaundak21
I was having that problem 2 days ago after I added a bucket load of cc. On internet advise I opened my documents-> E.A games-> The sims 2 folder and deleting the 2 cache files group and accessories and It worked for me give it a try.
While it's good advice in principle Shaundak (I had to do that recently as my game wouldn't load up), I happen to know that Croutonian has been having issues with her game for months now - the disc just isn't being recognised; it was mentioned more than once during the Scrapbook Contest, as I'm sure those of us who were there will recall.

I'm following the progress of this (and am tempted to go make over some of my empty houses as well as the rest of my premade sims) - lovely entries everyone!

No need to use my full name, "Selly" will do just fine.
Lab Assistant
#368 Old 17th Oct 2012 at 11:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Selly_2009
I happen to know that Croutonian has been having issues with her game for months now

well that sucks
I still wish Croutonian the best of luck with it. Computers do the darndest things.
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#369 Old 17th Oct 2012 at 11:34 PM
Here is my entry for Round 1. I chose the Jones' family and have provided him with a modern, sleek and stylish home, suitable for a modern guy with splashes of colour. To help him relax after a hard day at work he can choose from a swim in the pool, work/play in the office, a game on the game station or to make music, on his own or with a friend. I hope you like it.

As other's have pointed out this is not an easy house to work with, apart from the stairs being in an awkward position, there isn't a double bedroom either. If you were to play this house with more than one sim you would need the inaccessible bed hack by simlogical. The plants are decorative.

Lab Assistant
#370 Old 17th Oct 2012 at 11:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
I didn't load up any of the houses to look inside, but they might come furnished which would drop the price when items got deleted. I thought about the trailer houses, but didn't think they gave as much of a challenge for decorating, but it's quite a possibility one could be used instead of the more expensive house if it comes empty.

Jo, in the post is the sims wiki link that shows not only the homes but the floor plans with shots looking down, but it's best I think to look at the home in game. lol The little house in the woods is what I thought would have made a great twist, with the ability to add a bedroom. But it isn't one I would have picked to actually be in the contest as you know. lol

The little trailer as the sim wiki likes calling them I did think of, however, they are super tiny. One of my sims, or well I suppose several have lived in there. 10 is one I would think big foot or Rose the plant sim would live in. lol The great outdoors. lol Spoiler was placed so I didn't eat the page as Jones suggested. lol Did you know I looked at Strange Town and there are only 4 empty houses? She will have to dip into the bin there quite possibly. I love the house you did for Mr. Jones!!!
retired moderator
#371 Old 18th Oct 2012 at 1:49 AM
Default Steve's House
I was getting a modern vibe from Steve all along, but then I started doing his house and he quickly mentioned that he didn't like *current* modern, but instead like mid-century modern with a lot of dark wood, silver, and spritzed with black and white. I asked him what his favorite color was and he said 'circles'. Rather a polarized kinda guy. Well, it's working well for him in the business world. While he is living and what could be a typical (if there is such a thing) architect's loft, he doesn't have the skill set or the right characteristics to ever achieve that dream. He is progressing nicely as a stunt double and hopes to make a horizontal move into the entertainment business soon building on his experience in show business.

Because I like the page staying clean, I think I'll do the rest of my images behind tags from now on. It seems to work well. Be sure to click through and read my descriptions!
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
#372 Old 18th Oct 2012 at 2:58 AM
Great entries, everybody! This is going to be a tough competition, and a really fun one too. Can I ask some WCIF =D ?

@karen lorraine Do you know where you got the ceiling lights you used at the first floor?

@Phaenoh Can you say WCIF that fence you used around your flowerbed?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#373 Old 18th Oct 2012 at 3:15 AM
MimiSim I've finally uploaded my Jones house to my journal. http://www.modthesims.info/journal....wjournal&j=1221 Sorry for being so slow.

~Call me Jo~
retired moderator
#374 Old 18th Oct 2012 at 3:19 AM
lipe2k, that fence is actually part of the patio set I wcif'd a few pages back. https://sites.google.com/site/shoukeir/objects4
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#375 Old 18th Oct 2012 at 8:23 AM Last edited by Phaenoh : 18th Oct 2012 at 2:49 PM. Reason: fixing quote tags
Quote: Originally posted by lipe2k
Great entries, everybody! This is going to be a tough competition, and a really fun one too. Can I ask some WCIF =D ?

@karen lorraine Do you know where you got the ceiling lights you used at the first floor?

The ceiling lights are by lirunchik at black pearl sims. They're called white eternity.

Page 15 of 45