Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Jul 2021 at 1:21 PM
Default Decades, almost
When I was writing another post I realized (I've never really thought about it before) that TS2 is almost 17 years old. It will be able to vote next year! Let's hope it will vote all those greedy EA CEOs out.

On the down side, I am also 17 years older, 21 if I add the original game. I've been able to vote for a looooong time.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 29th Jul 2021 at 4:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by pico22
When I was writing another post I realized (I've never really thought about it before) that TS2 is almost 17 years old. It will be able to vote next year! Let's hope it will vote all those greedy EA CEOs out.
On the down side, I am also 17 years older, 21 if I add the original game. I've been able to vote for a looooong time.

They grow up so fast!
Forum Resident
#3 Old 30th Jul 2021 at 3:28 AM
It's interesting to think that more of my life has been since TS2 came out than there was before it came out...

When TS2 came out I couldn't drive, and had to rely on my Dad driving me to the nearest town to buy it. And he nearly went back on his promise to take me as an old friend of his and her family came to stay and he didn't think they wanted to go TS2 shopping, though as it turned out they were quite interested in a trip to the local town - or at least prepared to go to please me. It possibly helped that the mother of the family was very friendly and the only one whose English was fluent, and none of us understood Norwegian!
Forum Resident
#4 Old 30th Jul 2021 at 4:12 AM
I'm bouncing between feeling like it just came out, and like it should be older still because from my perspective it feels as though it's pretty much always been around. Time is a weird thing.
On a semi-related note I realized earlier this year that since I made the founder who's descendants I'm playing when I was 13 in 2008, I've now had and known that family for half my life.

I am Error.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#5 Old 30th Jul 2021 at 6:16 AM
My son was born exactly 1 week after sims 2 came out, now he is nearly 17.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#6 Old 30th Jul 2021 at 10:26 AM
I was about 8 or 9 when Sims 2 came out. I could barely read, in fact my brain still wants to call community lots "Com-u-tee lots" and Tutorial Joe "Turtle Joe"

I honestly can't really remember a time before Sims 2, and I couldn't imagine a childhood without it - making your family in Sims, or you and your crush, or just playing households and telling my Mum at dinner time what I'd been doing on the game that day, playing for a couple of hours to take your mind off your first heart break etc. It taught me reading and empathy and how to code and follow instructions and research and be creative and curious about how/why the game mechanics work and how to work with them - it taught me to question how everything works and why. I would be a completely different person if I never played Sims

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Scholar
#7 Old 30th Jul 2021 at 11:11 AM
I was 8 when Sims 2 came out and I remember fondly buying the Pets expansion and when it was new, Apartment life. I drove my parents made with Sims in my teenage years. good times, still being had today of course.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 30th Jul 2021 at 2:54 PM
I was old. Now I'm older. One of you whipper snappers should show me how to use this new-fangled dang phone thingy.

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Mad Poster
#9 Old 30th Jul 2021 at 3:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by grammapat
I was old. Now I'm older. One of you whipper snappers should show me how to use this new-fangled dang phone thingy.
Me too! Most of my Sims only have landlines.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#10 Old 30th Jul 2021 at 3:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by grammapat

My daughter despairs my use of my phone. My son put it on silent for me and I couldn't figure how to turn it back to normal. I was pressing it in and up, but no apparently it should be pressed towards the screen, I mean who knew? They all did apparently.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
#11 Old 30th Jul 2021 at 3:32 PM
I was 2 when TS2 came out...yes, I've heard the 'baby' comment before I well and truly grew up on this game.

You can call me Diddy (or Eve, if you want to go by my real name) :)
My Simblr is simping-simmer. Come and join me there for a chat!
You can also find me on the MTS or PBK Discord servers under the name 'Evenfall'.
Want to know the latest news in Carregffynon? Click here!
Forum Resident
#12 Old 30th Jul 2021 at 3:33 PM
This game came out when I was a kid, so even though it's been a long time, it seems like a recent thing to me. In addition, the sims 4 lasts so long that the feeling of time is even less.
Field Researcher
#13 Old 30th Jul 2021 at 3:35 PM
Earlier this year was a decade since I got The Sims Castaway Stories... Next June will be a decade since I got The Sims 2 and The Sims 3. Time flies so quickly, but I still remember my first households!
Forum Resident
#14 Old 30th Jul 2021 at 3:58 PM
Depending on the month it came out, I would have been either 3 or 4 when it came out. Granted, we didn't actually get the game until a year later, as my older sister didn't know it existed; until then, we played The Sims with every EP. I remember when it came in the post and we all watched in awe at the create a sim and the neighbourhoods... we were very giddy and since there were three of us that were old enough to get the gist of what to do, we all took it in turns.

With me being as young as I was I sucked at this one more than the first game. My sister eventually became sick of me asking how to do certain things all the time, but asking was good as I could play to an extent. The first family I made was one based on my real life family and it went terribly... my older sister died of disease, me and my two younger sisters were taken away by the Social Worker, and my parents burned in a house fire. After that, I always looked out of the window for a blue car, because younger me thought that whatever happened in the game was going to happen in real life. So yes, I did think zombies were real after picking up my Dad's copy of Resident Evil Code: Veronica thinking it was a kid's game

I messed around with the cheats after I was shown them and I was barred from the premade hoods, because my sister wasn't happy that I moved Nina Caliente in with the second sim I made based on my Dad (she never did marry him...).

It's really fun to think back on the anticipation of getting the new EPs; Nightlife was what started an obsession with vampires for a while. I even remember being excited for Freetime when that trailer came out; I thought the toddler activity table was for a nursery community lot. Unfortunately, serious family stuff kicked off, so I lost touch and when my sister checked up on the sims again in 2008, The Sims 3 was announced. I never even knew Apartment Life existed until years later

When a game is predictable, it's boring.
That goes for any medium that isn't life.
That's why The Sims 2 is my favourite sims game.
It has elements of unpredictability and everything feels more involved.
The Sims 4 is another story altogether...
Field Researcher
#15 Old 30th Jul 2021 at 6:13 PM
Like grammapat and AndrewGloria I was old too (60). But all my sims have cell phones ...
Mad Poster
#16 Old 30th Jul 2021 at 7:55 PM
17 years? That's almost a generation!
But like the others, I was younger then, I'm older now, having gone through about 5 computers and 3 phones in the past seventeen years.
It still doesn't feel like that much time has passed.
(thanks a lot body, for reminding me that it has been that long....old lady noises)

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Mad Poster
#17 Old 30th Jul 2021 at 8:47 PM
I remember the first time I tried Sims 2. I was a huge Sims 1 fan, and a friend of mine from school had Sims 2 so she invited me to come try it out with her, and I hated it. Too big a change to what I knew and loved. Plus I had all EPs except superstar in Sims 1, and comparing that to Sims 2 just the basic game it had very little to do. I can't remember when I decided to try Sims again, but I seem to recall I got the base + nightlife, and then it was a lot more enjoyable. Once I found custom content, I was hooked. And now I feel the same way about Sims1 as I did about Sims2 that first day, too different from what I know and love. I installed Sims1 again after my hood got corrupted, and I couldn't keep my Sims alive. That game is hard! My sims would be talking to each other and the social meter was depleting faster than it was going up Makes me laugh that child me could do it, but adult me can't figure it out.

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#18 Old 1st Aug 2021 at 12:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by clsve
Like grammapat and AndrewGloria I was old too (60). But all my sims have cell phones ...

How old does one have to be? *feels ancient most days*

Apparently mid 50's means I'm a youngster I guess.

~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#19 Old 1st Aug 2021 at 12:35 AM
Well I feel incredibly young now then...
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#20 Old 1st Aug 2021 at 12:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sims2Christain
Well I feel incredibly young now then...

We're all ages on here

~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#21 Old 1st Aug 2021 at 12:45 AM
And that makes it so great.
Mad Poster
#22 Old 1st Aug 2021 at 8:40 AM
I think I was 47 - and I still love the sims now (when I'm 64)

And they have landlines. But I have a cell phone
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 4th Aug 2021 at 8:41 PM
I can still remember the morning I walked into Best Buy in Burbank, CA to get my copy of TS2. I miss that era so very much. Does anyone else get super nostalgic for the mid 00s? (I’m 29 so maybe it’s a generation thing). It’s one of the reasons I love TS2.

Back in 2012-2015 I dabbled in default replacements and tried “modernizing” sims 2 but at some point I decided to embrace the mid 00s clothes/hairs/technology.
Mad Poster
#25 Old 16th Aug 2021 at 2:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Aspersim
I will admit that YEA the SIMS 1 is WAY HARDER than the sims 2 is.

And in contrast Sims 2 is way harder than Sims 3.

Seems as time progresses Sims games get easier. Personally I find TS2 to be a great balance between challenge and ease-of-play.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry