Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Gothic Victorian Name Replacement Mod for The Sims 3

by Miss Discordia Posted 22nd Jul 2012 at 3:16 PM - Updated 19th Jan 2020 at 11:10 AM by Miss Discordia : Editing post to make it fully appropriate

90 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 47 Feedback Posts, 42 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 2 of 4
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#26 Old 23rd Jul 2012 at 2:07 PM
This is a great mod Miss Discordia! I rarely comment on these things, but I feel the need to here.

I understand why some people are reacting the way they are, but it's been blown out of proportion and it's really not necessary. I'm assuming English isn't your first language, and many of us know that things can get lost in translation very easily!

I have a foreign surname, but I wasn't offended by this at all because reading your description it was clear that you were focusing on timeless, classic European (mainly British?) names. As a Brit, I really appreciate a mod that has names I'm used to seeing Even though I live in a highly multicultural area, I don't see many foreign names.

I don't have anything againse foreign-sounding names, I think plenty of them are gorgeous. But the problem with them is that the game assigns names randomly, so you may have a very Caucasian looking sim with an Asian name, or an Asian sim with a European sounding name, and the first names and last names are just completely mismatched. What you're offering here is a mod where all the names are from one culture so this can be avoided. If you'd included a lot of foreign names, we'd be having the same problem I just mentioned!

I'd personally much prefer having European names OR Asian names OR Afrian names etc in my game, rather than having them all mixed up, because it just turns into a big mess! So thanks again for this If people are really getting offended, perhaps add a disclaimed to the beginning of the description? Something like "This mod focuses on British/European-sounding names to make things more uniformed/matching, not becase I have anything against other cultures" or something to that effect.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#27 Old 23rd Jul 2012 at 2:18 PM
Yes, English is not my native language.

Many people have foreign names, but they ARE included here, not much, but they are, to add more realism. It's a mod based a bit on my country, where there's not a big number of foreign people living here, but you can still meet them - the same goes for a world created using that mod - you'll get a lot of European (and not mostly british, french and other names were used as well) people, but you can also meet someone with Native American or Hindu name (I included some)
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#28 Old 23rd Jul 2012 at 3:47 PM
I intend to download this and put it in my game when I have time.
And people who're just trying to pick a fight, knock it off. It's obvious that this isn't what she meant.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#29 Old 23rd Jul 2012 at 5:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by the_dissident
... after already being told that my family name is unclassy.

I DIDN'T said anyone's name is unclassy, I just CAN'T include all names of the world here! So I included SOME of them... I'd love to make a mod for every ethnic group, but it's very hard to make... -_-'
Maybe you'd like to make your own mod and choose names without hurting anyone's feelings?

And, sorry, my mistake, in my language we use the word "classy" for something like "appropriate" too.
Lab Assistant
#30 Old 23rd Jul 2012 at 6:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by the_dissident
Is this a serious response?

Since the description of the mod insinuated certain things about cultures and their names, I doubt those whom were offended would download and use it.

Unless you are actually suggesting that we simply ignore it after already being told that my family name is unclassy.

I'm not trying to pick a fight here, but the fact that you've made a jump from "classy names" to "all names that aren't on this list are not classy" is quite ridiculous. She can't include EVERY name, so she's chosen a selection of classy names. I don't see her saying anywhere that this list includes every classy name from every ethnicity. Not to mention, "classy" is subjective. Since you didn't actually choose your own family name, I hardly see how you could be offended by another person's definition of the word. On top of that, Miss Discordia has said that English isn't her main language and that she wasn't using the word in a way meant to cause offence. You can hardly blame someone for not translating a word perfectly, as I'm sure you may know learning and using another language is extremely difficult. Just my two cents.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#31 Old 23rd Jul 2012 at 8:51 PM
Thank you. I may or may not use this in my Sunset Valley game.

Even if I don't, it is useful, nevertheless. I am currently playing a game in which townies should be generated with Polynesian (or Polynesian-sounding) surnames and mostly Polynesian given names. (I realized the need for tweaking the name generation when I saw a Polynesian-looking service NPC with an Anglo-Scottish name.) I will probably wind up creating that file myself. I have seen instructions for doing that, but I don't remember where, off hand; this will provide a readily available example of what needs to be in such a file.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#32 Old 24th Jul 2012 at 3:36 AM
Thanks for this! I've been meaning to gather a big chunk of names for this express purpose, but this is going to eliminate the need for that! I trust your judgement from the sampling on the main page. Thanks for sharing your favorite names with us.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#33 Old 24th Jul 2012 at 8:03 AM
I like this mod. As for the people who seem to have issues, get a life. I have no issues with anyone based on their race, religion, ethnicity, education level, where on this globe they come from. I do however like to be able to pronounce my sims names. One if my created sims fell in love with a townie from work, couldn't keep her from lusting after him. His name had NO VOWELS! I have dyslexia, I could never say her name after that. I don't hate other cultures or their names, but I'm more familiar and can pronounce English names. They are familiar, and I'm not insulting another persons culture trying to pronounce and unfortunatly slaughtering thier language.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#34 Old 24th Jul 2012 at 8:07 AM
Thank you very much!!
Space Pony
THANKS POST
#35 Old 25th Jul 2012 at 9:20 AM
I was looking into doing something like this myself, so thank you for do that.

I dislike when my Sims end up with funny names thanks to EA (And I have spent hours before changing the names of every single sim in my town before) v.v" I have no life.

Anyway, thank you very much. :D
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#36 Old 25th Jul 2012 at 5:53 PM
Thank you so much! :-) Great job.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#37 Old 25th Jul 2012 at 10:00 PM
Thanks a lot for this! For me and my sister
Scholar
THANKS POST
#38 Old 25th Jul 2012 at 10:37 PM
MissDiscordia, don't answer anyone else who rants on about whether your description is PC, remember this mod passed moderation to get on the site.

I usually find that the people who complain about racism are the biggest racists. I'm not completely white myself, though Scottish born and bred, but I do appreciate some European names rather than Cycl0nic Sword or whatever garbage EA is coming up with now.

I didn't download this as I tend to use all Scottish names for my Sims but I saw you were having a hard time with the haters and had to defend you.

Basically, anyone who has any objection to a mod with 'classic'/'classy' European names can just jog on to the next mod. Saying Classy or Classic is fine, as some European names are modern and not classy or classic, I'd best not give any examples though eh?, lol.

Well done on a good mod and people should remember you gave your time freely for this.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#39 Old 26th Jul 2012 at 6:24 PM
Awesome, can't wait to see more ethnic ones. Hoping for an asian version.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#40 Old 26th Jul 2012 at 9:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by cowboyghostie
Awesome, can't wait to see more ethnic ones. Hoping for an asian version.

Now I'm trying to make Asian version, but I have a problem - should I make separate mods for Chinese, Korean and Japanese, or put them all in one mod?
Instructor
#41 Old 26th Jul 2012 at 11:39 PM
Separate.

My true to life tumblr: http://smargent.tumblr.com/
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#42 Old 27th Jul 2012 at 7:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by van Dorn
Separate.

Yeah, I also thought about separate mods, because it will give people more options to chose from, but there's not very much names from all these (especially Korean, where naming system is totally different and a bit complicated to me) and I guess I'll need to duplicate everytime, so chance to get two townies with the same name will grow. But, I'm actually making japanese one, we'll see how it works :D
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#43 Old 27th Jul 2012 at 2:34 PM
Thanks for this mod
Field Researcher
#44 Old 27th Jul 2012 at 5:50 PM
Excellent work.
I think we are here to see, to choose and sometimes to grab useful things to give our games a new flavour, not for moral purposes.
I understand the creator, because in my spanish game happens the same: there are many names out that sound extremely weird to my european ears, but they are probably common names in american countries. I assume that it is a major effort for EA to create lists of names for every country so this kind of mods are very welcome for everybody that want to customize its game.
Since I'm not a good modder I'll pray for a spanish speaker modder to appear and make something similar for us.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#45 Old 29th Jul 2012 at 1:47 AM
Here in the US, up until about 20-30 yrs ago, I would have said that a large percentage of all the names were European (particularly English), regardless of their actually nationality.These days, probably, half of the names are Hispanic. We have such a mix that there is likely to be more than one "Yumi McDonald" living in the US. Being from a multi-cultural country, I try to just state the facts when dealing with nationality, ethnicity and language and just leave out descriptive words like "classy,classic". Still, your always going to offend someone, somehow. Don't take offense to the negative comments here. They are likely to be Americans, since we enjoy getting defensive about that subject around here. You would think we would be the experts on how to blend cultures and nationalities, huh?
The weird Sims names never bothered me, accept the ones with numbers in the names. Personally, I like to have most of my names English sounding (or at least sounding like real words) and then just edit the random name to something else.
Also, I think you might have confused "classic" with "classy". "Classy" implies sophisticated, which is what some sensitive people may take offense to. It sounds like what you really wanted to imply was "English". As a suggestion for labeling your names, call them "English" or "mostly English or "English literature" names and most people will understand without taking offense.
Didn't someone do a "Harry Potter" name list? That would also be English.
Anyway, I actually like your names list. I think I have the Harry Potter.
Test Subject
#46 Old 29th Jul 2012 at 10:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Miss Discordia
Oh, really, no xenophobia intended, I'm actually really interested in foreign culture and foreigners - I just made this mod thinking mostly about english players, because I was sure that they're the biggest group here
Now I'm working on a mod that changes all names to japanese - because I see a big interest in Japan in The Sims community.

And, what a coincidence, as I remember your name (if Armana is your real name) is included in this mod too! :D

Miss Discordia, thank you for your response. To other posters, I will say that this is hardly an issue of touchiness. Rather, one must take into consideration the impact of one's work upon a larger audience. The Sims (1-3) have been and are being played by millions of people all over the world, who vary greatly in their ethnic/racial/cultural/sexual identities as well as physical capabilities. It is true that not all mods are for all players. It is equally true that if one is not interested in utilizing a certain mod, then it one ought to simply disregard it. At the same time, it is important, in my opinion, that creators think about the language that they use to describe their mods.

If European==Classy, then what does that mean for the rest of the world? That is simply my point. One needs to remain mindful of the subtleties of language, regardless of personal intention, and how easily subtleties can be misconstrued. Anyway, I am glad to see that this issue has both generated and fostered some discussion. As for me, I take my leave from it.

Armana is a nickname I acquired because of my love for the Amarna period in Eyptian history. My real name is rather Scottish.

Armana D.
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#47 Old 7th Aug 2012 at 6:21 AM
I think this is wonderful. Thank you so much for making it and for making it easy to install into the game. One question that I haven't seen asked or answered though is approximately how many names did you use?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#48 Old 7th Aug 2012 at 6:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Selene1212
I think this is wonderful. Thank you so much for making it and for making it easy to install into the game. One question that I haven't seen asked or answered though is approximately how many names did you use?

About 900 unique female names, 900 unique male names and 2500 unique family names.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#49 Old 14th Aug 2012 at 3:50 AM
My name is ethnic and I don't see why people are getting sticks up their bums about such a silly issue. Miss D, thanks.
Instructor
#50 Old 14th Aug 2012 at 7:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LemonSims
My name is ethnic and I don't see why people are getting sticks up their bums about such a silly issue. Miss D, thanks.

It is a silly issue because there is no discrimination intended by the creator and because there's nothing wrong with having your Sims be given names you like - it doesn't mean that you hate people with "different" names in RL.
Page 2 of 4