Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Testers Wanted: Smart Lights updated

by dizzy2 Posted 20th Aug 2005 at 9:11 PM - Updated 13th Nov 2005 at 12:21 AM by dizzy2 : Updated for NL

78 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 77 Feedback Posts
Page 2 of 4
Field Researcher
#26 Old 22nd Sep 2005 at 12:55 PM
yep here the hack works perfectly (i've installed NL)
Lab Assistant
#27 Old 22nd Sep 2005 at 9:32 PM
I love this Its working really well . Thanks
Test Subject
#28 Old 24th Sep 2005 at 3:32 PM
Default Eternal Downtown Loading Loop
I had this problem, but it wasn't due to smart-lights. In my game, it was caused by Pescado's "No Townie Children Regen" mod. After I took that file out I was able to enter downtown lots normally.

Smart-lights work great for me.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#29 Old 2nd Oct 2005 at 4:40 PM Last edited by dizzy2 : 2nd Oct 2005 at 6:44 PM.
I've checked this out with lots that contain pool lights, and it appears to cause corruption which can only be fixed by deleting the pool lights.

It looks like Pescado's commlightson hack code was causing the cache for the pool lights to get corrupted somehow. To fix this, you'll need to delete the corrupted lights and use the new hack.
Test Subject
#30 Old 3rd Oct 2005 at 8:55 AM
I had one house where every room my sim went into the light turned off and where the sims weren't the lights were on, this was only with my male sim when my female went into a room the lights stayed on. Hope i don't get that again...very annoying...this hack could be great thank you dizzy.
The ModFather
retired moderator
#31 Old 3rd Oct 2005 at 2:31 PM
Thank you Dizzy for this intelligent hack: finally I can have the auto-lights as we had in TS1...

Anyway, I'm curious because different users describe howoriginal auto-light works in their game in different ways. Some users (like me) have all the light on at night, except in the room where the sims are sleeping. Some other have the light going on and off on a per-room basis; other users have the auto-light working only in the bathroom...

I remember, when TS2 was first published, to have read a discussion in which the Maxoids stated that a full auto-light effect would have drained resources from low-end systems, an so they decided to adopt a "limited" auto-light. Perhaps the game checks the capability of the graphic card and tunes the auto-light in consequence? Some other graphic features are triggered this way...

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#32 Old 3rd Oct 2005 at 11:21 PM
I experimented for quite some time with DIY lights over at VS, and this solution seems to work about the best for dealing with light change video hits.

I found that sims generally tend to wander around in unused rooms, and if you only light up rooms they are in, it can really slow the video down. This particular version only turns on lights in rooms they are using, which (because sims are generally obsessed with fun objects) greatly simplifies things.

It doesn't seem to matter that sims are walking through darkened rooms, because people in their own homes do this as well.
The ModFather
retired moderator
#33 Old 4th Oct 2005 at 2:04 AM
This is even smarter than I thought! What you eat at diner, fox-burger? :D
(BTW, I can't stop staring at your avatar, it mesmerizing! )

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Space Pony
#34 Old 4th Oct 2005 at 6:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Dizzy2
See this thread for more information:

http://www.variousimmers.net/vsimfo...read.php?t=1910

Um, yeah... like.....I read that thread... but I still say.... "errrrr... what???? :D

Nah, thanks for updating, this is great

If at first you DO succeed, try not to look so astonished!
Lab Assistant
#35 Old 15th Oct 2005 at 11:26 AM
I found very serious problem is with Vampires as vampires won't talk or move because of smart lights. ( can't say for too sure ) because i remove this smart lights vampires finally able to walk around or talk....

I build my community as the public phone light won't work...could have trigger problem with vampires...
Lab Assistant
#36 Old 15th Oct 2005 at 11:55 AM
Hi dizzy2

I suggest smart lights only work at home ( Residential ) or ( Dorm ) but not at community and all in NL because the problem I see like Vampires and public phone light not work and light gone off in toilet in community it make harder to see...i hope make sense to you

Cheers
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#37 Old 15th Oct 2005 at 7:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Wessie68
I found very serious problem is with Vampires as vampires won't talk or move because of smart lights. ( can't say for too sure ) because i remove this smart lights vampires finally able to walk around or talk....

I build my community as the public phone light won't work...could have trigger problem with vampires...
Okay, I find that very hard to believe, but I'll see if I can reproduce this problem you are having. In the meantime, please give me some specifics if you can.
Lab Assistant
#38 Old 16th Oct 2005 at 10:36 AM
Goto community and noticed the "blue public phone" the light is on at night time but ( actually turn off by smart lights ) wrong thing and I think vampires rely on phone light because vampire know that mean at night time once when the daylight up the phone light gone off so vampires know it time to go home anyway since smart lights cause the phone light off all night thus make conflict with vampire. the vampires become stuck. i see about 5 times already...
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#39 Old 16th Oct 2005 at 8:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Wessie68
Goto community and noticed the "blue public phone" the light is on at night time but ( actually turn off by smart lights ) wrong thing and I think vampires rely on phone light because vampire know that mean at night time once when the daylight up the phone light gone off so vampires know it time to go home anyway since smart lights cause the phone light off all night thus make conflict with vampire. the vampires become stuck. i see about 5 times already...
First of all, Smart Lights 2 has *no* effect on outside lights. Second of all, lights have *no* effect on vampires.

What you're seeing is something ELSE that is affecting both lights and vampires. This may be a Maxis bug. It could be another hack. It could be a bad install. It could be something that only happens to you on that particular lot for the one particular sim you select to try it.

Bottom line: without more SPECIFIC REAL information (not your speculative and irrational imagination of what is going wrong), there is simply nothing I can do about this.
Test Subject
#40 Old 17th Oct 2005 at 1:38 AM Last edited by highpressure : 17th Oct 2005 at 2:41 AM.
Dizzy I tried this and with some lots it works, but with others I have the problem described earlier where the lot takes forever loading that I have to quit the game. I also noticed that the 2 Residential lots that would not load, I have the disco lights inside of the houses on those lots. Could there be a problem using this hack and having the disco lights on a lot?

On the lots where it works, it is absolutely brilliant, and I love it. Just trying to find out why I'm having problems on certain lots. Other than that, this is top notch work in which I must find a way to keep it in my game.

Update: The lots are working now I just replaced the lights, and everything starting working. I'm happy!
Test Subject
#41 Old 17th Oct 2005 at 4:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jupiture
I've had the same problem on some downtown community lots, I don't see it being caused by the lights mod tho.

I have had the same problem (with community lots never finishing the loading process), but once I removed Pescado's 'commlightson' hack, all was well again. (I thought I had cleared out all non-NL compatible hacks, but I missed that one!)

Dizzy's hack causes no problems with community lot loading.
Great job. Thanks so much!

"That probably would have sounded more commanding if I wasn't wearing my yummy sushi pajamas."
Lab Assistant
#42 Old 17th Oct 2005 at 9:13 AM Last edited by Wessie68 : 17th Oct 2005 at 9:52 AM.
I take it back now Smart Lights has nothing to do with Vampires because I put last night hack name YoungAdult&LazyAnimfix and my Vampires stuck again

but I still have problem with public phone light !?
Field Researcher
#43 Old 19th Oct 2005 at 3:26 AM
I've tested this and it works like it intended to do just like The Sims 1 lighting system. Thank you so much :D.
#44 Old 27th Oct 2005 at 4:11 PM
Sorry to seem to beat a dead horse here, but I just wanted to chime in with my experience with this mod as well. I downloaded it last night, and afterwards, could not enter certain residential lots in my game. The first, was a house built by myself, which was chockful of custom content. The second, the wonderful house "Falling Water" by WabiSabi12, downloaded here at MTS2 in the residential lots section, would not load. (As it was originally downloaded, had not gotten around to customizing it)

http://www.modthesims2.com/showthre...t=falling+water

If you would like to reproduce the effect, download and install Falling Water , use the smartlights mod, and enter the lot. You should find that it will not load. After considering the type of mods I had installed, I removed Smart Lights, and my lots loaded once again. I was unaware until today after actually bothering to read the posts that others had experienced the same problem. I had never installed a light-affecting mod until this one, so I don't know if the Pescado light issue is relevant, unless it is contained within this package. (If so, it should be removed/fixed) I would like to thank Dizzy2 and other modders who produce mods for the community to enjoy, and hope I have helped somehow to reproduce the problem to expedite a fix. I like the idea, and hope that I will be able to use it on all of my lots in the near future.

As a sidenote, I do have a sneaking suspicion from reading Dizzy2's comments that it does, in fact, have something to do with lots that contain pool lights, but seeing as how I'm at work surfing the net out of boredom at the moment, I am unable to test it myself at this time. Just speculation
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#45 Old 27th Oct 2005 at 7:57 PM
It's the same nonsense "Stack number out of range" error that the new Pool Lights gives for the commlightson hack.

I'll spare you the details, but this appears to be a bug in Sims 2 application. I'm not equipped to fix problems in the executable. Either use this hack or use the new pool lights. You can't use both until Maxis decides to fix their bug.
Lab Assistant
#46 Old 27th Oct 2005 at 8:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Hitokiri617
...seeing as how I'm at work surfing the net out of boredom at the moment, I am unable to test it myself at this time.

Hmmm...it's amazing the number of people "at work", not working...

Thanx for this...I love when I get really intelligent game mods.
Instructor
#47 Old 27th Oct 2005 at 8:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by dizzy2
I'll spare you the details, but this appears to be a bug in Sims 2 application. I'm not equipped to fix problems in the executable. Either use this hack or use the new pool lights. You can't use both until Maxis decides to fix their bug.

But I thought the new version didn't corrupt the pool lights? Or does it still cause problems?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#48 Old 27th Oct 2005 at 8:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by idtaminger
But I thought the new version didn't corrupt the pool lights? Or does it still cause problems?

There's something really wrong with the new pool lights. I have no idea what the problem is, but I'm pretty sure I can't fix it.
Lab Assistant
#49 Old 27th Oct 2005 at 9:34 PM
It would be convenient if there was an option to keep a select light on only at night in a certain room unless every sim on the lot was sleeping. This is useful for rooms that you don't usually turn the light off in until it's time to go to bed (living room, dining room, kitchen ect.) you would have to set which rooms the lights stay on in and which dont since bedrooms/bathrooms usually have the lights off unless they're in use.

So basically I want to be able to keep all lights off during the day (unless the room has no windows). at night the lights are on until all sims are sleeping in the rooms you pick and in rooms you leave alone the light is always off unless a sim is using it and is not sleeping =)
Test Subject
#50 Old 5th Nov 2005 at 10:28 AM
Hmm i'm a little confused. I often find hacks for things that are already happening in my game. I may not be understanding what this hack does properly though. But when my sims sleep the lights turn off. I don't think if they leave a room the lights go off though.
Page 2 of 4