Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Oct 2021 at 12:02 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Sims, lots, items all turning red. Please, please help.
Here's a few screengrabs to show what exactly has gone wrong here.

Ouch. (In addition to the red, it looks like one of the Sims' hairs has been replaced with an EA one too..)

This started around May 23rd, 2021. Here's everything I've tried:

-Clearing cache files
-Uninstalling recent mods/CC
-Uninstalling mods/CC dl'd around the time this all started
-Trying different saves/worlds and starting new saves
-Scanning my mods with Delphy's Dashboard and removing corrupted ones

My specs:
Windows 7 Professional x64
8gb RAM
4th gen Intel i5 @ 3.6 ghz
Game is running off a 1TB Hitachi HDD.
GPU is an old AMD Radeon 6670 with a measly 1GB of VRAM, but it gets the job done for what I do on this particular tower.

Is there any info I'm missing? Anything else I need to try that I might've forgotten? Any obvious cause of the red I'm missing? Please help. I just want to play TS3 again.

I feel like I'm going crazy. I don't even know what the problem is now. All I know is this is making my game virtually unplayable and I can't fix it on my own. Please help.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 1st Oct 2021 at 2:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
rename your TS3 user folder to .backup

Run the game and it will create a new one, see if the problem persists.

Like I was expecting, the fresh folder had no issues and when I swapped to the backup everything went wrong once again.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say something got corrupted. Thank GOD it doesn't seem to be the game itself.. I was scared I'd have to reinstall since I have the Steam version and my internet is so slow that redownloading would take actual DAYS.

I'll run without CC and see if that's the issue. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 2nd Oct 2021 at 12:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Hehe, you'd be surprised how many times in this forum someone come ask for help after they had already reinstalled the game like 2-3 times. I always end up slapping my forehead b/c it is almost impossible for the actual game to be corrupted b/c once installed, your system only "reads" the game files, it doesn't write to them. It only writes in the user folder. So typically if something is only read, it is rarely for it to be corrupted.

The only time the game files can be corrupted is either it was corrupted upon installation, bad hdd defragmentation, or a dying hdd.

That's a really great point. I think my panic clouded my thinking there
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 2nd Oct 2021 at 12:46 AM
Predictably, the modless run didn't have the bug. Since it didn't seem to be any of the recent mods causing it, where do I even BEGIN..? CAS parts? Core mods? Texture replacements? Aaagh!! I might have to use the half-out method... I'll at least try and see if it's a package or sims3pack first, that will help narrow it down
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 2nd Oct 2021 at 3:38 AM
Kept removing half of the mods over and over to locate the corrupt ones. Finally found and uninstalled some suspect ones... Still red. What now??
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 2nd Oct 2021 at 3:48 AM
OH MY GOD. OH MY GOD. I FORGOT TO CLEAR THE CACHE AFTER HALFING AND ONCE I DID IT WAS FIXED. I still am not sure WHAT mod specifically messed things up THIS badly (I removed a few, though I do have some suspicions about a set of IKEA furniture) but honestly I'm just so happy I've got my Sims back that I might cry.