Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

GunMod's Radiance Light System 2.1

by GunMod Posted 5th Nov 2005 at 3:32 AM - Updated 16th May 2009 at 10:18 AM by Numenor : Updated info and links

715 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 708 Feedback Posts, 6 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 4 of 29
Test Subject
#76 Old 6th Nov 2005 at 10:14 AM
dude! you OWNZ!!

check my simpage for stuff like halflife 2 sims and my WSF robot! : click!!
Scholar
#77 Old 6th Nov 2005 at 1:58 PM
ok well i have installed 2.1 and for what its worth, probably nothing as usual, but here goes anyway
my lots load fine
the daytime lighting isn't too dark at all, in fact it is better than it was in the original game without this mod, in my opinion, as i always found it unrealistically bright before. it's certainly bright enough to see properly what is going on
i have nothing flashing, looking weird or anything else
i have shadows off, but when i tried with them on i could see no discernable difference in effects.
i have lighting on high, reflections off and the rest on medium
so i am not sure what is going on here, how come i don't see what other people do? or see what other people don't?
can it just be a graphics card thing?
Test Subject
#78 Old 6th Nov 2005 at 2:06 PM
edited the line Patches noticed in the 2.1 lighting text file and installed 2.1 lighting text

everything looks good to me. daylight is ok

my lots load fine, including ones with pool lights on

dumb question tho, where in the lights menu in buymode is the "Diffuser light" thats been mentioned? was looking for it to make sure its not in my lots, but can't find it in the menu.
Field Researcher
#79 Old 6th Nov 2005 at 2:27 PM
I want to confirm Dewshine's findings. I took out smartlights2, went in to the game and loaded the lots that wouldn't load. I removed all the faulty lights and put smartlights back in and all seems fine. A bit of a pain mind you as I will have to go into all my community lots and do the same thing before I can send my sims to visit them.

'Don't judge a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes....at least then he'll be a mile away and barefoot'
Test Subject
#80 Old 6th Nov 2005 at 2:44 PM
Please help me. I don't have enough daylight in my game. I'd like to remove this program, I have erase the programe (.exe) but the game did'nt recover the original light !!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#81 Old 6th Nov 2005 at 2:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by psob2
dumb question tho, where in the lights menu in buymode is the "Diffuser light" thats been mentioned? was looking for it to make sure its not in my lots, but can't find it in the menu.

When I release 2.2 Ill post a screenshot of the evil diffusor light.
If you go to a Downtown Nightlife lot, esp. The Bowling Alley, they have them everywhere. With my mod installed they dont give off near enough light so The lanes will be real dark until you replace them with another light.

I think if your in buy mode its the 2nd or 3rd light in the list. It has a black housing and is pretty small for an overhead light.

The one good thing the difusor is good for though is this:
Say you want to brighten up the walls or floor of a room but do not want your objects to be brighter, Use the diffusor to light up those dark corners, just remembering that they will not light up objects.
There are basically 3 types of world parts in the game:
Objects, Sims, and Floors/Walls/Terrain

Diffuse Lights only Floors Walls and Terrain
Practical light only lights Objects and Sims.

So if a light is missing diffusor or practical it will light one thing but not the other.

One reason this mod has been so tough to do right is because not all lights have the same amount of both types of light.
Say I make them mod so that one type of light displays the proper lighting.
Several hours later I think Im finished.
Load up a different light and whammo, the lighting looks like crap.
So what I am doing is trying to find a happy balance so that 95% of the lights in the game look correct.

Back to work on the mod.
Thanks for the encouragement last night folks.

- GunMod
Freelance Game/Software Designer
GunMod's Forums

Tip to Never Get Lost: Remember, No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
Test Subject
#82 Old 6th Nov 2005 at 3:14 PM
And my problem? There's no solution?

(during the day the house is too dark)
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#83 Old 6th Nov 2005 at 4:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Scott_SS
And my problem? There's no solution?

(during the day the house is too dark)

Are you seeing this with 2.1 or just 2?
Is the lot in a normal neighborhood or downtown?
Are alll your graphics setting on High?
Have you tried removing the mod and see if the light is still messed up in that house?

- GunMod
Freelance Game/Software Designer
GunMod's Forums

Tip to Never Get Lost: Remember, No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
Forum Resident
#84 Old 6th Nov 2005 at 5:08 PM Last edited by dewshine : 6th Nov 2005 at 5:17 PM.
remember this is a global mod. If you install it and take it out you have to replace the lighting.txt file with the backup provided in the first post.
One suggestion if the daytime lighting is too dark: Increase you moniter's contrast settings and see if that helps (it will make your nightime darker).

2.1 worked for me without the smartlight2 mod!
I'm very pleased with how this is shaping up. I enjoy the different effects with the lights I'm seeing now.
The evil light is the cheap ceiling lamp that looks like recessed lighting right? I hate that thing anyway. The maxis made houses usually have them in the kitchens. I usually replace them straight away.
Thanks much for the description.

Like Pitch Black and CoR?
Visit GM_Andy's. My Home on the Web! My Sims2 stuff and files I'm caretaker of can be found here

Need a way to open that .rar file? Use the Sims2 File Maid.
Test Subject
#85 Old 6th Nov 2005 at 5:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by dewshine
remember this is a global mod. If you install it and take it out you have to replace the lighting.txt file with the backup provided in the first post.

Please, could you send me the lighting.txt file ??? And tell me where to put it in ?

Thank you so much
Lab Assistant
#86 Old 6th Nov 2005 at 5:21 PM
Hello
I deleted the Smart Lights 2 but the autolights don't work so I would like to replace it.
Before I wanted to remove my poll lights but impossible to load the house...
Lab Assistant
#87 Old 6th Nov 2005 at 5:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by choupette
Please, could you send me the lighting.txt file ??? And tell me where to put it in ?

Thank you so much

You have it in Download Files, are you French ?
Scholar
#88 Old 6th Nov 2005 at 5:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by choupette

Thank you so much

choupette
these are in the backup file. it doesn't exactly uninstall, just replaces your mod texts with the originals again
Forum Resident
#89 Old 6th Nov 2005 at 5:28 PM Last edited by dewshine : 6th Nov 2005 at 5:36 PM.
Look up in the "downloads" box for the file that says this: BACKUP21.zip (32.7 KB, 199 downloads). extract it to your Program Files/ EA Games/ Sims2. It will overrite the mod with the original Maxis settings.

And Hydromel, are you trying to use Gunmod's lighting mod 2.1? Or are you using 2.0 + Smartlights2?

If you are using 2.1 you don't need Smartlights2 at all. If you cannot load a lot with 2.1 installed because there are pool lights on that lot you must use the backup file to revert to the Maxis settings before the lot will load, remove the lights in question, and reinstall the radiance mod. I'm very interested in which version you are having problems with as I haven't attempted to load a lot with pool lights using 2.1 yet and I know there's at least one downtown lot with pool lights on it (the spa).

Like Pitch Black and CoR?
Visit GM_Andy's. My Home on the Web! My Sims2 stuff and files I'm caretaker of can be found here

Need a way to open that .rar file? Use the Sims2 File Maid.
Lab Assistant
#90 Old 6th Nov 2005 at 5:40 PM
Do I need to remove the Gunmod's radiance lights before deleting the pool light too ?
Lab Assistant
#91 Old 6th Nov 2005 at 5:43 PM
I'm Loving it, its perfect Gun, thankyou

Sarcasm is the KEY to living a long and enjoyable life.
Lab Assistant
#92 Old 6th Nov 2005 at 5:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by dewshine
Look up in the "downloads" box for the file that says this: BACKUP21.zip (32.7 KB, 199 downloads). extract it to your Program Files/ EA Games/ Sims2. It will overrite the mod with the original Maxis settings.

And Hydromel, are you trying to use Gunmod's lighting mod 2.1? Or are you using 2.0 + Smartlights2?

If you are using 2.1 you don't need Smartlights2 at all. If you cannot load a lot with 2.1 installed because there are pool lights on that lot you must use the backup file to revert to the Maxis settings before the lot will load, remove the lights in question, and reinstall the radiance mod. I'm very interested in which version you are having problems with as I haven't attempted to load a lot with pool lights using 2.1 yet and I know there's at least one downtown lot with pool lights on it (the spa).

Hello
I have the 2.1 without the Smartlights2
And thanks a lot
Lab Assistant
#93 Old 6th Nov 2005 at 5:48 PM
Btw, you said I don't need the Smarlights2 but whithout the autolights still don't work.
May I use version 2.1 + Smartlights2 ? :D
Test Subject
#94 Old 6th Nov 2005 at 6:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Hydromel
You have it in Download Files, are you French ?

Yes I'm French !!

Thanks Dewshine, I have removed the file, but when I start my game, the original daylight is not back !!!...
Lab Assistant
#95 Old 6th Nov 2005 at 6:37 PM
Choupette as tu téléchargé le backup ? Il faut ensuite le réinstaller dans le jeu.
Si tu as téléchargée la version manuelle il faut faire attention car ça te créé un nouveau dossier The Sim 2 dans le dossier Lights.
Test Subject
#96 Old 6th Nov 2005 at 6:44 PM
non je n'ai rien téléchargé du tout !!! et je n'ai pas ce nouveau fichier non plus !
J'ai fait des recherches, mais je n'y comprend rien !!! Y a t'il un fichier à télécharger qq part pour le réinstaller ???

C'est vrai que c'est plus facile en francais !!!
Instructor
#97 Old 6th Nov 2005 at 6:50 PM
There was an issue w/ the pool in the first version. Has that been fixed?
Lab Assistant
#98 Old 6th Nov 2005 at 6:51 PM
En fait, il faut télécharger le BACKUP21.zip ensuite tu doit extraire le fichier Lighting.txt (celui qui fait 4 ko) et downtown_lot_txt dans le dossier \Les Sims 2\Les Sims 2 Nuits de Folie\TSData\Res\Lights en Par défaut c'est sur C:\Program Files\

Puis tu extrais l'autre fichier Lighting.txt (24ko) dans le dossier \Les Sims 2\TSData\Res\Lights

Le problème en extrayant ces fichiers c'est que ça va te créer des sous dossiers "The Sims 2" alors il va falloir couper et coller manuellement dans le bon dossier, puis supprimer ce sous dossier "The sims 2"
Lab Assistant
#99 Old 6th Nov 2005 at 6:53 PM
Ce sont des dossiers gigognes lol :D
J'espère que ça va fonctionner pour toi
Test Subject
#100 Old 6th Nov 2005 at 6:56 PM
le BACKUP21.zip je l'ai supprimé... y a t'il un endroit où je peux le retrouver ??? et je n'ai que les sims2... oh là là que c'est compliqué...

Ne serais tu pas de l'ouest de la France ???
Page 4 of 29