Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#51 Old 26th Jan 2015 at 8:04 PM
Thanks @Shimrod101! I actually had tried that, but the tool would say "Export Finished" without doing anything when pointing to the new file. I updated my previous comment with a note about how I got around this.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#52 Old 20th Feb 2015 at 10:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by velocitygrass
2014-10-29: v0.0.0.6: Fixed STBL refs not being used when they had missing leading zeros. Added support for object info (see FAQ for info on implementation). Thanks DarkWalker!
2014-09-28: v0.0.0.5: Fixed tuning package file filter to actually be SimulationDeltaBuild0.package, not ...FullBuild.... Thanks plasticbox!
2014-09-28: v0.0.0.4: The combined tuning can now be read from the SimulationDeltaBuild0.package directly and the tool will optionally add comments with the name of reference or the text of a STBL ID.
2014-09-22: v0.0.0.3: Completely rewrote the parser with classes that should preserve the attribute order. It also speeds up the initialization and lowers memory consumption. Indentation for non-compact xmls is now 2 spaces.
2014-09-14: v0.0.0.2: fixed the module resource type (it's 0x03B33DDF, which I verified with two sample mods that change the starting funds and the starting day and time) and added {instance#} to the naming patterns (for decimal instance).

This tool resolves the references of the combined tuning xml and extracts the instance and module tunings in individual xml files.

Please let me know about errors so that I can fix them.

Source code is GPL3 and attached.

How to install
- Use 7zip to unpack the folder/file. For the update version extract that into your existing Sims4XmlExtractor folder.

How to start
- Just click the Sims4XmlExtractor.exe

How to use
  1. You need to give the tool the path to the previously exported combined tuning resource 0x62E94D38-0x00000000-0xF1352E740C4710BA or SimulationDeltaBuild0.package which contains it.
    - Click "Browse" to select the resource or SimulationDeltaBuild0.package
    - You can also simply paste the path to the file in the line edit (this option doesn't remember the path)
  2. Select an export folder for the files by browsing or pasting it. The folder must exist.
  3. Select a naming pattern for the exported files. I have convenience buttons for S4PE compatible format and the EA unpacked mod naming pattern, but you can create your own naming pattern by using one of the following placeholders:
    - {instance}, {group}, {type}: lowercase hex without leading 0x
    - {INSTANCE}, {GROUP}, {TYPE}: uppercase hex without leading 0x
    - {instance#}: decimal instance
    - {name}: the name of the resource, e.g. trait_EternalBond
    There's a preview of what the filename will look like. Please ensure that your combination results in unique file names. If a file already exists, it will simply not be written.
  4. Check or uncheck creation of subfolders. If checked the tool will group the xml files the way they are grouped in the combined tuning (tag R), e.g. in "action" or "trait" subfolders.
  5. Check or uncheck if all whitespace and line breaks should be removed. This is recommended for distribution by EA, but for browsing the files leaving them in can make them more readable.
  6. Check or uncheck if names of reference targets should be put in comments after the target, e.g.
    Code:
    <L n="objectives"><T>24715</T></L>
    becomes
    Code:
    <L n="objectives"><T>24715<!--Max_Astronaut--></T></L>

Please note that I do not check if the value is actually a reference or just a normal number. E.g. it is possible that a setting has an integer value of "24715" and the <!--Max_Astronaut--> would still be added even though it's not meant as a reference to that objective.
  7. Optionally add the path to an exported STBL file or a package that contains one. If this is done and the option to print reference names in comments is selected, the tool will read the STBL file (or the first it finds in the given package) and use that to resolve all hexadecimal references and print the string in comments, e.g.
    Code:
    <T n="descriptive_text">0x8F1F5015<!--"Have a Sim reach max level in the Astronaut career."--></T>
  8. Click "Export" to start the export

FAQ
  1. Where do I find SimulationDeltaBuild0.package or this resource?
    - The combined tuning resource has the type 0x62E94D38, the group 0x00000000, and the instance 0xF1352E740C4710BA and can be found in the SimulationDeltaBuild0.package (and the unpatched old version in the SimulationFullBuild0.package). You can use S4PE to extract the file from the package.
    - SimulationDeltaBuild0.package (and SimulationFullBuild0.package) can be found the Data/Simulation subfolder of the Sims 4 installation.
  2. What do I do with the xmls?
    - That depends entirely on your goal.
    - They can serve as a way to look up information, e.g. how much will career X earn at level Y.
    - They can serve as a base to modify tuning settings. E.g. you can change how much a sim will earn from a career at a certain level. Please be aware however that many tunings that have a rendering component (where something will be displayed on screen) will require to make the same changes in the accompanying DATA file (see my other tool for making changes to that). Also note that the .tdesc files available in the EA modding documentation include additional information and tuning settings (like the defaults which might never appear in the extracted tunings because they're not overridden). Thanks to plasticbox for pointing this out in this thread.
    - Plasticbox has posted a XML Tuning How-To here.
    - For discussion about package files vs unpackedmod, please check this thread. EA has fixed the issue with tuning in packages.
    - For helpful hints on handling loose tuning files check DarkWalker's tutorial Making better use of the unpackedmod folder.
  3. Why all the naming pattern options?
    - The two ways to work with the tuning files right now are putting them in a package file or placing them directly in the unpackedmod folder (as per SimGuruModSquad's workaround for current limitations).
    - The unpackedmod requires a special naming pattern to work (e.g. 0x00000000!0x0000000000006cb6.0x7df2169c)
    - If you use S4PE to import your resources, a different naming pattern will allow you to import from file without making any further changes (i.e. having to type in manually the IDs).
    - For a normal human just seeing the TGI combination will not be enough to make them identify the actual content of the file, so I added an option to include the name in file so that you can scroll through them and find what you're looking for (or just see what's there) without having to open each file or search.
    - The decimal instance option was added because this is how the references are done in the xml and the upper and lower case are purely for esthetics.
  4. How do I get the STBL?
    - It's the resource of type 0x220557DA in Strings_[language code].package (e.g. Strings_ENG_US.package), which can be found in the Data/Client subfolder of the Sims 4 installation. It can be exported e.g. with S4PE.
  5. How does the object info work?
    - For the object info to be retrieved you'll need to use the package option for the combined tuning and have it point to SimulationFull/DeltaBuild0.package. The tool then assumes the installation structure so that it looks for ClientDeltaBuild0.package in a "Client" folder next to the "Simulation" folder of the SimulationFull/DeltaBuild0.package.
    - It then retrieves info from all COBJ files for later use (TODO: do this as needed which should be faster)
    - In the xml it looks for certain n attributes in tags that indicate the next decimal is an object and not a tuning. Specifically it looks for: "reward", "target_game_object", "items_to_check", "actual_object", "definition".
    - The tool ignores this in the case of situation and aspiration_track tunings, where the reward is actually a tuning.

Credit: Thanks to the S4PE team, the EA devs who created the doc, the FNV site, TheHologramMan for unpyc3.py, which I used to decompile the python files, which enabled me to find the module resource type, DarkWalker for info on where to find object name and description.

Cannot find xmlextractor.exe. Please help
Test Subject
#53 Old 5th Mar 2015 at 9:11 PM
Is there an alternative for this for Mac?
Mad Poster
#54 Old 26th Mar 2015 at 7:27 PM
@velocitygrass: For some reason, the tool isn't working for me with today's patch. It just continuously says "export finished". I am not sure if I am losing my mind or what, but I wanted to check and see if it was just me.

♥ }i{ Monarch of the Receptacle Refugees }i{ ♥
Field Researcher
#55 Old 26th Mar 2015 at 7:50 PM
With the newest patch, the combined file has been made into its own binary format instead of just a regular XML file. I really hope a tool maker figures out how to decrypt it, because otherwise the modding community could be in a lot of trouble.
Mad Poster
#56 Old 26th Mar 2015 at 8:04 PM
Thank-you Zerbu! And, ugh!

Test Subject
#57 Old 26th Mar 2015 at 11:27 PM
Hmmm Today is the day I decided to try this out and I thought I was doing something wrong. The file I got out of the S4PE is a bnry, is that the right file to extract the XML from?
Mad Poster
#58 Old 26th Mar 2015 at 11:52 PM
Yes, the file has always been listed as bnry by s4pe, but the file format has been changed as stated above, so the Extractor doesn't read it now.

MedievalMods and Sims3mods: Dive Cave Reset Fix, Resort Revamp, Industrial Oven Revamp, Will O' Wisp fix, UI Sounds Disabled, No Cars, Gnome Family Planner, Townies Out on the Town, No Martial Arts Clothes, Fast Skilling, etc. http://simsasylum.com/tfm/
Instructor
#59 Old 26th Mar 2015 at 11:56 PM
Why, EA, why? I thought they would be more mod friendly this time around!

This space intentionally left blank...
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#60 Old 27th Mar 2015 at 12:18 AM
I'm having a moderate amount of success with exporting it and reading it back in as DATA (probably C+P and changing the type would work the same). s4pe 0.3b previews the field contents but doesn't open them in Grid view. Didin't try with other versions.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Lab Assistant
#61 Old 27th Mar 2015 at 1:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ~MadameButterfly~
@velocitygrass: For some reason, the tool isn't working for me with today's patch. It just continuously says "export finished". I am not sure if I am losing my mind or what, but I wanted to check and see if it was just me.

I was having the same problem when I had the path set to SimulationDeltaBuild0.package, but then I did it the other way and extracted the resource instead and it worked. I have all of todays new patch xmls and was able to update my outdated personal mods.
Mad Poster
#62 Old 27th Mar 2015 at 1:33 AM
Unfortunately, that's not the issue. (I wish it were.) They changed the file type of the resource.

Instructor
#63 Old 27th Mar 2015 at 7:56 AM
So we are able to get the new patch xmls? But the problem is getting them back in a package file in a way that the game understands?
Or am I understanding incorrectly? (Sorry, I haven't had the chance yet to patch).

Lab Assistant
#64 Old 27th Mar 2015 at 8:57 AM
No unfortunately we're not able to because Sims4XmlExtractor can't read the file in SimulationDeltaBuild0.package that contains the tuning information.
Instructor
#65 Old 27th Mar 2015 at 10:53 AM
Hmm, then I'm confused about ScarletQueenCat's reply. It sounds like they got it to work, or was this an older patch?

Lab Assistant
#66 Old 27th Mar 2015 at 11:21 AM
I do not have much time to try things out myself, but I have learnt that the combined tuning now is a simdata file (but a newer version). Have anyone tried opening it with the DataTool?
Mad Poster
#67 Old 27th Mar 2015 at 12:46 PM
I tried the Data Tool now but it doesn't work for me. I renamed the file to a .data file to get the Data Tool to recognize the file and attempt to open it, but the mouse cursor goes round and round while the program says (not responding) at the top.

MedievalMods and Sims3mods: Dive Cave Reset Fix, Resort Revamp, Industrial Oven Revamp, Will O' Wisp fix, UI Sounds Disabled, No Cars, Gnome Family Planner, Townies Out on the Town, No Martial Arts Clothes, Fast Skilling, etc. http://simsasylum.com/tfm/
Mad Poster
#68 Old 27th Mar 2015 at 12:56 PM
Me too, actually, and I got the DATA tool to work just yesterday. Now I can't get it to work at all.

Lab Assistant
#69 Old 27th Mar 2015 at 3:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nukael
Hmm, then I'm confused about ScarletQueenCat's reply. It sounds like they got it to work, or was this an older patch?

I've no idea, i too wondered what ScarletQueenKat meant.
Lab Assistant
#70 Old 27th Mar 2015 at 4:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nukael

I did, that's why it's kind of confusing to me why it's not working for anyone :/ I find it just as odd as everyone else lol. I have the latest version of s4pe. I extracted the file yesterday after I updated to yesterday's basement patch. At first it didn't work it right away said the export was finished but with nothing there, I had the path set to SimulationDeltaBuild0.package, so I figured I'd try it the other way. I updated a maid and an aging mod that I created for myself and everything has been working as it's supposed to. I checked the mods I downloaded from the community by doing a XML compare on them, a few were ok but most needed updated.

I can attach my files if anyone wants them.
Mad Poster
#71 Old 27th Mar 2015 at 4:18 PM
I took it to mean that ScarletQueenKat thought I was confused on how to extract the resource file from the Delta build, which I have been doing just fine up until this patch. But if ScarletQueenKat was successful with this file in the latest patch, then we need screenshots to help clarify.

(Ninja'd...But I would prefer screenshots instead of files. )

Lab Assistant
#72 Old 27th Mar 2015 at 4:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ~MadameButterfly~
I took it to mean that ScarletQueenKat thought I was confused on how to extract the resource file from the Delta build, which I have been doing just fine up until this patch. But if ScarletQueenKat was successful with this file in the latest patch, then we need screenshots to help clarify.

(Ninja'd...But I would prefer screenshots instead of files. )

No, I didn't think that at all. I thought maybe you were running into the same problem as I was at first so I figured I'd try to help instead of just staying quiet about it. I'll be happy to give you screenshots, just tell me what you want screenshots of.
Mad Poster
#73 Old 27th Mar 2015 at 4:40 PM
Just the steps you took so I can follow along. It's not registering in my head. Thanks!

Deceased
#74 Old 27th Mar 2015 at 4:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Fogity
I do not have much time to try things out myself, but I have learnt that the combined tuning now is a simdata file (but a newer version). Have anyone tried opening it with the DataTool?
I opened it up with the 010 Editor using the simdata binary template in the Custom Content Guide. It was able to see a lot of the structure of the file and it contains some new schemas, but you wouldn't be able to use it for anything other than researching how to write a program for extraction. It appears they are packing the XML now in a simplistic (not meaning it will be simple to extract necessarily) way. There's a bunch of tables in there, the last one contains what appears to be one copy of all the XML strings (null terminated), so just as a guess the other tables probably contain just offsets to that table of strings. It should be possible for some dedicated and organized soul to painstakingly wade through it all and probably get the stuff out. I think the schema info in the file should hold the keys to pull it all together... maybe...

Not much help, I know... sorry.
Lab Assistant
#75 Old 27th Mar 2015 at 4:52 PM
I can confirm that Scarletqueenkat's method of extracting the new patch's XMLs does seem to work. You can test it yourself by opening SimulationDeltaBuild01.package in S4pe, searching for 0x62E94D38-0x00000000-0xF1352E740C4710BA, extracting it as a file and pointing XML Extractor to it.

This yields a folder full of XMLs. I haven't yet attempted to use them to update my mods, but they do appear to belong to the new patch. I decided to attach what I extracted in the hope that people more knowledgeable than me can verify them.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  XMLs.rar (14.08 MB, 51 downloads) - View custom content
Page 3 of 9