Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
#1076 Old 22nd Mar 2016 at 4:02 PM
You don't have to convert it into a working hotel -- I can't! I don't have BV. The community lot telephone isn't in the residential catalogue in base game (where I'm building my hotel), but it may be in my normal game. If not, I presume you could change the lot zoning to Community, add the telephone and, if you want it, the community lot waste bin, and then change the zoning to Hotel.

As for uploading, I am minded to upload all of mine, exactly as entered in this contest, to my LJ (using Sim File Share to actually share the files). I might also submit them to the upload queue here, but, although they're all built in base game, some will only really have a chance of functioning properly with EPs. I could try out my row of shops with OFB, but my flats would need Apartment Life to work as flats, and this hotel really needs Bon Voyage. And I haven't got either EP to test them. I have already uploaded my flats to Sim File Share, but haven't shared the link anywhere yet. I was wondering if I ought to wait till the contest was over. But, if anyone with Apartment Life would like to try them out, please PM me and I'll send you the link. I'd like to know if they really work as AL apartments, and, if so, how much the rents are.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#1077 Old 22nd Mar 2016 at 10:23 PM
I'll test it Andrew, send me a link. I will have to check it over and at the very least swap out the doors. So the price will change slightly.

For me it's pointless to build this as anything other than a working hotel, since then I would have to do even more work after the contest.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
#1078 Old 22nd Mar 2016 at 10:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Karen Lorraine
PS If you've enjoyed competing or would like to compete I will be hosting a contest (subject to approval) soon after this one ends. Mine will be a purely building and decorating contest and the only maths involved will be adding up the scores. It's gonna be a holiday/vacation destination themed contest similar to Campus Constructors and suitable for all three games - so watch this space!

OOOOO!!! Can I use judging this competition as my preliminary application to be a judge for that competition? (I still have other references, of course)

Unfortunately, I still cannot compete given my current computer situation, and it's going to be a while before I get another so I'm stuck for right now, but I'm making the most of it. Also, I still want to participate any way I can!

Call me Seth!
Top Secret Researcher
#1079 Old 22nd Mar 2016 at 11:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
*snip*
But, if anyone with Apartment Life would like to try them out, please PM me and I'll send you the link. I'd like to know if they really work as AL apartments, and, if so, how much the rents are.

Happy to lend my test hood if you need more people.
Mad Poster
#1080 Old 23rd Mar 2016 at 12:03 AM Last edited by Justpetro : 23rd Mar 2016 at 12:12 AM. Reason: Question added
I found that for now I can actually buy and place the phone and the dustbin at a reasonable looking place. So both are buyable anyway - phone is under electronics. Personally I have found that, with many community lots, they work fine if the Sim walks - but if he takes a taxi, he cannot phone to go back - so I will do it the proper way as well, since one cannot walk to a hotel (except to one in your main hood).

Andrew - I will test as well if you want me too - as long as you are not in too much of a hurry - I am trying to get this hotel done I can do it next week if you need another tester

Slowly making progress on the inn, built myself into a corner a bit - but I will have to build myself out of the corner one way or another, I guess. Reasonably happy with my hotel now - unfortunately, my chosen wall is not among D's exterior, but I did find two others that I like to use. Hopefully the hotel is not too boring I am going to try to complete it tomorrow and upload it before the weekend (having a RL birthday party to attend )

Edit: Question: the screenshots - should we change the lot back to a residential lot in order to take a pic in neighbourhood view and then change it back to a community lot? I had to change the zoning since the game does not allow me to place the hotel desk in residential zone. I take it nothing will happen to the desk if I change the zoning, but I would just like clarity. And - number of screenshots, please @D?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#1081 Old 23rd Mar 2016 at 12:24 AM
You can't place a chef stove in res either. There is nothing in the rules about changing zoning, I always change it at will to grab whatever I need. last round I changed it to res to grab a telescope for my platform.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
Original Poster
#1082 Old 23rd Mar 2016 at 12:29 AM
You can change the lot zoning if you can to use the objects found in the community or lodging properties.

Number of screenshots will be 16 max + 1 price image.
Mad Poster
#1083 Old 23rd Mar 2016 at 1:25 AM
Thank you, D and Jo - all my questions answered now
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#1084 Old 23rd Mar 2016 at 2:01 PM
Anyone else having problems with the small size of this lot? My head has all these ideas of what I want but whichever way I cut it, either the inside or back feels cramped for a 5 star hotel.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#1085 Old 23rd Mar 2016 at 2:33 PM
Yes to the size - but it does force me to work on a smaller scale. However, Jo, you will work it out - you always seem to be able to fit a world into one tile and it still works. I am taking screenshots, can hardly believe it! No restaurant in the sky or deep blue pool, I'm afraid - but I think it looks cosy and warm and hopefully inviting to tired travellers. And I think it should work as a hotel in the game - I will test later. Kept Gazania's box hotel in mind
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#1086 Old 23rd Mar 2016 at 2:46 PM
Screenshots?! Mine is still mostly an empty shell with just some things dotted around. Lol, a world into one tile. I think I would rather have 10 more out the back.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#1087 Old 23rd Mar 2016 at 4:06 PM
My daughter used to be a bar tender and ran the bars of three hotels at various times in town - I simply went around and have a look at all of them again the other day - the lot is too small for the outside of anyone, but inside is sort of a copy of the real thing - although I did skip the conference room and the staff quarters (which could have been an interesting touch but useless to the game, having seen a very sleazy room my daughter slept in - and that at one of the most expensive hotels here!) - and made things smaller and more suitable to play. We had a public holiday yesterday, it has been raining for days - so I built
Mad Poster
#1088 Old 23rd Mar 2016 at 8:56 PM
Hay ya'll...
Between Holy Week, my daughter's 12 BDay (the 26th) and 18th century Scotland (been reading Diana Gabaldon's series all the way through - I read the first one when it came out a LONG time ago, but never read the others... I just can't put them down! I'm "Chain-reading" LOL!)
...anywho - I haven't even started this build yet. :0

However, I know what I'm going to build.
The Disney Freak inside me insists on trying to build the Boardwalk - or at least some semblance to that effect. OK - a very small semblance of it *sigh* I hope I can come up with something satisfactory (anyway) within the time left.

...However, Jamie & Claire are calling - again - I gotta go read some more... :lovestruc

Please ~ support my TS2 habit! Shop at my Etsy shops:
CatherinesJewelry ~ Artisan Jewelry
Catherine's MOUSE ~ Up/Recycled Jewelry
and Vintage Stuffeths
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#1089 Old 23rd Mar 2016 at 10:38 PM
Good luck on that small lot Cat! have you seen the size of it? I pushed the front of mine in, cut off part of the back and cut down on the middle. So the front kind of looks like I want (the front is what gets people to stay at a hotel, am I right??!) better be. The back has a skinny pool and inside has skinny bedrooms. I think I shall have to name it "The Skinny Mediterranean"

I'm sure what you come up with will look great Cat. Happy birthday to your daughter.

Yesterday was kind of a wash up for me as my dad ended up in hospital, another black out with his blood presure, but he's okay. When DH rang and said "he's giving the nurses cheek" I knew he was okay.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#1090 Old 23rd Mar 2016 at 11:45 PM
Happy birthday to your daughter, Cat! Enjoy the reading And the building.Under the boardwalk....
Jo, glad to hear your dad is okay - it throws one, every time it happens.
Meanwhile, I will probably only upload later as well - hours without electricity tonight, and it is after midnight now - and I have a busy few days ahead (also going to celebrate my daughter's birthday this weekend )
I was surprised - the hotel was much cheaper to build than I thought it would be.
Thanks again for the help - I have successfully changed the lot zoning a dozen times or more and have the dustbin and phone in place!
Alchemist
#1091 Old 24th Mar 2016 at 1:13 AM
Jamie and Claire are calling in about a weeks time too cat, season two of outlander begins, ohhhhh I so can't wait!!!!

Rome wasn't built in a day

Need help finding building items, check out my building blog https://bestbuilditems4sims2.wordpress.com/
Mad Poster
#1092 Old 24th Mar 2016 at 12:53 PM Last edited by Justpetro : 24th Mar 2016 at 1:24 PM. Reason: 1 screenshots 2 spelling
Default Entry : Hotel Botse
Welcome to Hotel Botse!

Botse is a Tswana word - it is used in greetings. Salang Gabotse (or just botse) - Stay well, stay safely, stay beautifully. Sepila gabotse/botse : Go well, go safely, go beautifully. The director feels rather sad to say good-bye to the other building companies and hereby invite all of them to come and stay well, safely and beautifully at our hotel while busy with construction - and after the contest, Sepila gabotse to everyone Feel right at home here - this is your home away from home.

Edit - screenshots organising
Scholar
#1093 Old 24th Mar 2016 at 1:33 PM
Beautiful *o*
Please book me in for my next holidays :D
Mad Poster
#1094 Old 24th Mar 2016 at 9:35 PM
Thank you, Amura
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#1095 Old 24th Mar 2016 at 10:43 PM
Very nice, I like how you did the front with all the steps. You packed a lot into the space.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#1096 Old 24th Mar 2016 at 10:48 PM
NICE!!! Great job, Petro - ...and Happy Birthday to your daughter too!

@Tiff - I haven't watched them yet. I will though, as soon as I'm done readin'. Aye! I canna wait!

Please ~ support my TS2 habit! Shop at my Etsy shops:
CatherinesJewelry ~ Artisan Jewelry
Catherine's MOUSE ~ Up/Recycled Jewelry
and Vintage Stuffeths
Mad Poster
#1097 Old 24th Mar 2016 at 11:16 PM
Thank you - funny thing, when I made peace with the size of the lot, it started to be a lot easier and at a point I felt that the build was flowing - which was a rather nice experience
Learning from people who fit worlds into one tile, Jo
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#1098 Old 24th Mar 2016 at 11:41 PM Last edited by joandsarah77 : 25th Mar 2016 at 1:08 AM.
Lol, I don't know but that makes me laugh. World in one tile. It is true I like small lots but a whole world? Hmm more like a backyard. I'm glad I'm not the only one with long skinny bedrooms. I think mine is also starting to come together, or at least the ground floor is, that is nearly done, I'm rather pleased with my massage room. Upstairs though *shiver* That is going to be hard. Doesn't help that I have all this open space overlooking the balcony but it just seemed to be asking for that, when I filled it in it looked wrong, so long skinny bedrooms it is. My building is also a U but less deep in the U part and wider at the back and more towards the front of the lot, otherwise similar shape.

Does the hotel have to have public toilets? Or a toilets inside the gym enough?

~Call me Jo~
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#1099 Old 25th Mar 2016 at 1:22 AM
I am building chalets :D

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#1100 Old 25th Mar 2016 at 2:23 AM
Up a hillside? I can't imagine you would get more then two. Sounds interesting anyway.

I solved the plumbing problem so there is still room for a lift and public toilets, so disregard that question. Now on and up to those bedroom suits, eep.

~Call me Jo~

Page 44 of 50