Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th May 2014 at 12:25 PM Last edited by murfee : 18th May 2014 at 2:18 AM.
Default Exploding Fat Morphs [RESOLVED!]
I don't know how this happened--maybe the robe is too long so the joints are interfering?
Screenshots
Advertisement
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#2 Old 8th May 2014 at 12:42 PM
It's unlikely to be a bone problem. Is this happening with all shoes or just these? Is hair also affected? (You'd have to try with long hair that has morphs.) Did you load the same high poly mesh in all 3 lods?

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 8th May 2014 at 2:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CmarNYC
Is this happening with all shoes or just these? Is hair also affected? (You'd have to try with long hair that has morphs.)

I'll have to test the mesh in-game and see if hair and shoes start acting wonky. And it's just one foot, too--I don't know HOW that happened.

Quote:
Did you load the same high poly mesh in all 3 lods?

Uhh.... noooooo.... >_> *cough* yes <_< ..... :D
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#4 Old 8th May 2014 at 7:09 PM
Okay, vertex numbering may be the problem. Your complete mesh is about 11000 vertices, which means around 10000 vertex ID numbers at a guess. If TSRW numbers the lods consecutively like EA does, the three lods would come to around 30000 vertex ID numbers. Body meshes are numbered from 5000 to 19999, hair is 20000 to 29999, and shoes/feet start at 30000. A body should use no more than 15000 vertex IDs but yours is probably overlapping with both hair and feet. Depending on the degree of overlap you could easily get only a few verts distorting, and could be different parts in different shoes. On the other hand, your lod1 is within range so you should really only have a problem in lod2 and lod3. I think. I don't know how TSRW handles this internally so you really need to test in-game too.

One easy test is to make a new clone and load only lod1/high detail.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 8th May 2014 at 8:15 PM
I'm home now, and loading my game as I type this, to see what's going on in game. *bated breath*
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#6 Old 16th May 2014 at 12:55 PM
Okay, I've been fiddling around with different meshes all week. Some morphed perfectly, but others are still giving me exploding morphs, and I now think it might have something to do with my reference meshes not being perfect matches -- only the bizarre meshes I'm creating are giving me morph problems, and I'm having trouble finding any good matches in EA meshes or CC ones.

(In the pictures below I used EA's Genie Outfit from Showtime as a reference mesh, even though this is technically a skirt, and has no pants/legs.)

So what do I do, please?

I was a good girl and added Lod1/Lod2/Lod3 aka High/Medium/Low Level Detail meshes, instead of just using High Level Detail on all 3 states, but I still get bad morphs, and at this point I REALLY feel it might be because I couldn't get a matching reference mesh. The joints work fabulously for the most part, and in Milkshape I can fix those bad assignments. But how do I fix bad morphs, please?

What does the Morph Tools tab in the Toolkit do? Could that help me get better morphs, instead of the WSO Auto-Create Morphs tab?
Screenshots
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#7 Old 16th May 2014 at 2:54 PM
It's easy enough to tell whether or not the problem is your references meshes - if it is, then the morphs will look bad when you load them in Milkshape (and you can also fix them in Milkshape). For every other cause of explodey morphs I can think of, the morphs will look fine in Milkshape but not in-game.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#8 Old 16th May 2014 at 3:21 PM
These are pics of my morphs -- the first is the one that came out exploded in-game after using the Showtime Genie outfit reference mesh, and the second is one I just created using the Ambitions Caveman outfit reference mesh.

I don't see any difference....so I am now dreading loading the new version into my game.

Even though the morphs look great this time in TSRW using the AMB outfit.
IDK.
Screenshots
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#9 Old 16th May 2014 at 4:31 PM
Could you upload one of the explodey meshes?

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#10 Old 16th May 2014 at 9:20 PM Last edited by murfee : 18th May 2014 at 2:22 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by murfee
These are pics of my morphs -- the first is the one that came out exploded in-game after using the Showtime Genie outfit reference mesh, and the second is one I just created using the Ambitions Caveman outfit reference mesh.

I don't see any difference....so I am now dreading loading the new version into my game.

Even though the morphs look great this time in TSRW using the AMB outfit.
IDK.

Yup, I was right; there's no difference. The morphs still went ka-boom on the thin/fat sides, even using the AMB outfit.

And as for the female one I tried, that one was even WORSE. I used a dress from Supernatural for the female reference and that poor thing was just one exploded mess, even with the weight slider dead in the middle.

WAAAAA~!

Quote: Originally posted by CmarNYC
Could you upload one of the explodey meshes?

*gasp!*
I'll do one even better and upload the male and female .wrk files! Please save me from my own ineptitude~!
Screenshots
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#11 Old 16th May 2014 at 11:17 PM Last edited by CmarNYC : 16th May 2014 at 11:50 PM.
Got them. Definitely a morph freakout, and I very much doubt it has anything to do with the reference mesh. It's still got too many vertex ID numbers and is slopping over into the hair, but I don't understand why the distortion is so extensive. Also I remember running into a limit on the total number of vertices that can be included in a morph, but don't remember what the number is. May have to dig into old code to see. As I vaguely recall this did weird things to morphs.

Will continue to poke at it and let you know what I come up with!

Edit:
Yeah, I'm 95% sure it's too many vertices. What I did was import the High 0 mesh into Milkshape, deleted the morphs, and ran the Model Cleaner on it. (Tools / Model Cleaner - click No to the first popup, then Okay.) What Model Cleaner does is remove unnecessary, duplicate vertices, and split seams if necessary. It reduced the number of verts from almost 12000 to 6321. I auto-generated the morphs and imported that mesh into TSRW, and the morph explosion is gone although it's still overlapping into (I think) hair vertex IDs. (In the original female outfit you can see that even in TSRW the hair is also exploding.)

My suggestion is that you use the Model Cleaner on your High and Medium outer layer meshes, and maybe on the Low also, redo the morphs, maybe redo the bones, etc. And I suggest you use the Medium and Low versions of the nude body mesh underneath instead of the High for all three. Reducing the number of verts and faces when possible is always a good idea.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#12 Old 17th May 2014 at 12:05 AM
THANK YOU!!
Where can I find the Medium/Low level body meshes, please? All I was able to find are the high detail meshes for all the ages/genders.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#13 Old 17th May 2014 at 1:40 AM
In TSRW you can clone a full body underwear or swimsuit mesh for the body, and just export the high, medium, and low lods.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#14 Old 17th May 2014 at 3:02 PM
Ah! Thanks again! (God I'm so stupid)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#15 Old 18th May 2014 at 2:21 AM
IIIIIIIIIIT WORRRRRRRRRKED! ^0^ Oh thank you thank you!

Yup. as soon as I lowered the vertices and used that miraculous Model Cleaner and fixed the Lod2/3 meshes everything loaded PERFECTLY in-game!

Let me kiss you! :lovestruc
Forum Resident
#16 Old 4th Jun 2021 at 2:08 PM
Yes, this thread is VERY old, but I am fairly new to meshing. One of the things I have learned is that nothing I do, or problems I face are new. Today is 4 June 2021, and this thread has solved my current issue. TOTAL vertices in all LODs!!! I have so much appreciation for people like Cmar, Bloom and all those who figured this stuff out or made the tools that I use.