Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th May 2021 at 11:23 AM Last edited by Ladysimplayer8 : 12th May 2021 at 11:42 PM.
Default Subset Recoloring Only Latest Texture Recolor Showing In-Game
I am fairly new to creating subsets for objects but I have "Adding a New Subset" Tutorial on my Favourites.

I basically go through it step by step and I think I am doing it correctly, as when I go to recolor the new subset is included and can be edited.
However...I did 4 recolors and only the original mesh color and the last Texture 4 are showing in-game?

Is there something I have to do with Material Override or Material Definition when recoloring?

Thank you in advance for any help or advice you can offer.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 8th May 2021 at 2:33 PM
Are you adding recolors into the object package or just making separate recolor packages? Offhand, I'm guessing you are not updating the instance of each new MMAT. Make the package available to look over, and someone will probably find it fairly quickly. Or, if you want to troubleshoot it yourself, make sure all the naming in each recolor matches in the different parts (gmdc, gmnd, shpe, mmat, txmt) and double-check that you are not re-using the same instance over and over (I feel THAT is why only the last one is showing).

We have been stuck too long with "New Mesh" as the apex of creation.
_ WesHowe
Inventor
Original Poster
#3 Old 8th May 2021 at 8:19 PM Last edited by Ladysimplayer8 : 8th May 2021 at 8:23 PM. Reason: To add zip.file
Quote: Originally posted by d4RE
Are you adding recolors into the object package or just making separate recolor packages? Offhand, I'm guessing you are not updating the instance of each new MMAT. Make the package available to look over, and someone will probably find it fairly quickly. Or, if you want to troubleshoot it yourself, make sure all the naming in each recolor matches in the different parts (gmdc, gmnd, shpe, mmat, txmt) and double-check that you are not re-using the same instance over and over (I feel THAT is why only the last one is showing).

Hello @d4RE
Thank you for your reply.
My head is a bit frazzled so not sure I can answer your first question.
This is Sims3 chair I was converting to Sims2 and wanted to separate it into frame and cushion for easy ( ) recoloring so I regrouped it.
The back of the chair has a metal design (with spaces) and when I tried cloning from some dining chairs that do have two groups, e.g. zecutine social chair and simple sit chair, there was no option to change the stdMatAlphaBlendMode: to None, nor change the stdMatAlphaTestEnabled to 1.
Consequently the metal design (which should show the fabric of the cushion) was solid, so I opted to clone from for a wooden chair, added the subset and when I checked in game, no issue with the back of the chair.
I appreciate that if the frame is recolored, the back will be solid with the new recolor; but I was hoping to mix and match frames and cushions.
I did double-check that the cushion_fabric were filled in all the usual places. I probably could be using the same instance over and over - do I change this when I recolor or when creating the mesh?

Update: I have added the zip.file.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  LSP8ChairDiningPatioOLMeshv.5.package.zip (202.0 KB, 9 downloads)
Mad Poster
#4 Old 8th May 2021 at 9:20 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 8th May 2021 at 9:36 PM.
stdMatAlphaBlendMode and stdMatAlphaTestEnabled are in the TXMTs.

Can't see any obvious things that pop out, and the mesh looks like it's set up properly. It is possible the problem is in the recolors, for instance if you've changed anything in the mesh after making the recolors, or changed the GUID in them, or something like that.

You should only have to change the texture and name of the file when recoloring via the Object Workshop (You can change TXMT parameters too, but that's usually optional). All the files that need to be randomized will be taken care of for you.

When you make recolors of items with two subsets, make sure you select both subsets if you want to recolor both of them. You should get five or six resources (depending on the setup).

In your case you can actually save some space in the file by reusing one of the textures in the TXMT (since you use the same for both subsets). One TXTR and two TXMTs/MMATs still give you two separately recolorable subsets. Old recolors may or may not work, depending on how you've made them. I put the info in spoiler tags below if you're interested.

Instructor
#5 Old 9th May 2021 at 3:31 AM
OK, looks like you've added recolors into the package, unless there's another recolor package out there.
I'm confused: You said you made 4 RCs, but I'm only seeing one each for wood and cushion in the package. So I'm assuming that since there's only one set of recolors in the package, that is the reason only one set of recolors is showing in the game.

EDIT: To answer your questions in first post - yes, there should be a TXMT and a MMAT for each recolor.

_ WesHowe
Mad Poster
#6 Old 9th May 2021 at 4:30 AM
There's just one color but two subsets in the included file. Only the black chair is there as far as I can see.

If you want two subsets (one for the fabric and one for the chair) there should be two MMATs, two TXMTs and one or two TXTRs, (depending on whether you can use the same texture for both subsets, see the spoiler tag above) for each recolor.

You can add more recolors to the mesh file, but the easiest is to recolor the file with Object Workshop.
Inventor
Original Poster
#7 Old 9th May 2021 at 7:20 AM Last edited by Ladysimplayer8 : 9th May 2021 at 9:26 AM.
Hello @simmer22 and @d4RE
Thank you for your replies and trying to help.

I think I should clarify more of what I have done: -
Whilst creating the mesh I added a subset (cushion_fabric) as the Contempto chair only has one texture -wood, (This wood material definition has the options to update the stdMatAlphaBlendMode: to None and to change the stdMatAlphaTestEnabled to 1. The clone I made for the fabric would have it too.) As I intended to recolor, I included the extra steps needed - the Geometric Node and Material Override and Fix Integrity.

Can anyone see a problem with the mesh I created?

I added the mesh to my Downloads folder and checked in-game to see if the chair was displaying correctly - it was, so I could move on to recolor. (I confirm I made no further changes to the mesh.)

In SimPE, I started over in the Object Workshop, opened the object but this time selected recolor, named the Texture 2 and selected both subsets to recolor when prompted. I imported the textures, updated sizes, committed and saved.
I did this for Texture 3 and Texture 4 too . (Textures 2 and Texture 3 are the Sims3 default materials - Texture 4 my own).
I placed the three new DBPF recolor files in my downloads folder and checked in-game but only the mesh color and Texture 4 are showing per pic in initial post.

Do you do something different from the usual recoloring steps when you have added a subset?

Update: I decided to try cloning another chair (Oaktowne Dining Chair with two materials) to see if that works and success!

However, I would like to know what I am doing wrong when making subsets.
Screenshots
Instructor
#8 Old 9th May 2021 at 12:03 PM Last edited by d4RE : 9th May 2021 at 12:20 PM. Reason: i'm a scatterbrain
The only thing I see that is out of the ordinary is in the GMDC - it appears you replaced the groundshadow subset with the new cushion subset, instead of just adding the new cushion subset. That should be OK as long as you imported it as a solid and not a shadow.

Some things I do in GMND as a matter of housekeeping, that may or may not help:

1. In the 0x4 wood blocklist, delete all but one of the arrays, and rename that remaining one to match the MMAT/TXMT in your package. As is, they are pointing to an external game package, which is meaningless, since you do not have the package set up for repository.

2. Create a "cushion" blocklist, add to it one array that points to your cushion MMAT/TXMT. **Remember to "activate" this new blocklist in the cObjectGraphNode tab of the 0x0 blocklist (0x0: lsp8chairdiningpatiool-[ladysimplayer8-8.5.2021-a1c31]_chairdining_rot_gmnd)! **

3. In the 0x2 tsNoShadow blocklist, add an arrray for cushion, with a value of 0.

4. Fix Integrity and resave.

EDIT:
Quote:
Whilst creating the mesh I added a subset (cushion_fabric) as the Contempto chair only has one texture -wood

Luckily, you correctly added a subset "cushion". Remember to never ever ever create a subset with the dreaded underscore as part of its name.

Quote:
I did this for Texture 3 and Texture 4 too . (Textures 2 and Texture 3 are the Sims3 default materials - Texture 4 my own)

I can't help notice that textures 2 and 3 are the ones NOT showing up. Is it possible you transferred some Sims 3 weirdness that doesn't jibe with Sims 2?

_ WesHowe
Mad Poster
#9 Old 9th May 2021 at 8:50 PM
Can you upload the texture 2, 3 and 4 files so we can help you troubleshoot them?

Can't find any issues in the GMDC, except for there not being a shadow mesh included. The "cushion" and "wood" meshes seem to be correct.
Inventor
Original Poster
#10 Old 10th May 2021 at 8:36 AM
The only thing I see that is out of the ordinary is in the GMDC - it appears you replaced the groundshadow subset with the new cushion subset, instead of just adding the new cushion subset. That should be OK as long as you imported it as a solid and not a shadow.
Some things I do in GMND as a matter of housekeeping, that may or may not help:
1. In the 0x4 wood blocklist, delete all but one of the arrays, and rename that remaining one to match the MMAT/TXMT in your package. As is, they are pointing to an external game package, which is meaningless, since you do not have the package set up for repository.
2. Create a "cushion" blocklist, add to it one array that points to your cushion MMAT/TXMT. **Remember to "activate" this new blocklist in the cObjectGraphNode tab of the 0x0 blocklist (0x0: lsp8chairdiningpatiool-[ladysimplayer8-8.5.2021-a1c31]_chairdining_rot_gmnd)! **

3. In the 0x2 tsNoShadow blocklist, add an arrray for cushion, with a value of 0.

4. Fix Integrity and resave.
EDIT:
Luckily, you correctly added a subset "cushion". Remember to never ever ever create a subset with the dreaded underscore as part of its name.
I can't help notice that textures 2 and 3 are the ones NOT showing up. Is it possible you transferred some Sims 3 weirdness that doesn't jibe with Sims 2?

Hello @d4RE
I added the subset cushion and then deleted the ground shadow (you have to do this with Sims 3 conversions as the original cloned item ground shadow would remain). As far as I know, there is nothing weird with the Sims3 textures,

This is the link to the Tutorial for adding a subset I am using: https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=103379
I appreciate it was written some time ago but I believe it to be still valid - wish I could copy and paste the GUID on the Material Override stage.

I received a PM from Michelle with a note on adding a subset that does differ from my tutorial at the Geometric Node stage where you must add the extension (i.e. cushion) too. I also added the cushion value of 0 to the tsnoshadow blocklist at your suggestion, however I am still ending up with just two textures so the issue must be elsewhere...
Inventor
Original Poster
#11 Old 10th May 2021 at 8:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Can you upload the texture 2, 3 and 4 files so we can help you troubleshoot them?

Can't find any issues in the GMDC, except for there not being a shadow mesh included. The "cushion" and "wood" meshes seem to be correct.

Hello simmer22,
At the moment I no longer have the texture files for the version uploaded. I have updated the chair mesh file with some changes to the Geometric node. I wonder if the package is corrupted now and that is why the recolors won't work?
It might be best for me to create a completely new mesh, adding in some of the new info I have received and try to recolor again.
I will let you know how I get on.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 10th May 2021 at 2:31 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 10th May 2021 at 5:31 PM.
Quote:
I appreciate it was written some time ago but I believe it to be still valid - wish I could copy and paste the GUID on the Material Override stage.

When you give an object a new GUID, tick the "update MMAT" box and then click "update". This updates the objectGUID in the MMATs, and will make sure the recolors have the proper MMATs so you don't have to fix it for recolors.

(If objects have more than one OBJD/GUID, make sure to only tick the MMAT box for the main OBJD - it's not a problem for this chair where there's just one OBJD/GUID, but will be for things like beds or large tables).

When you clone an existing MMAT from the original object you also copy the GUID information, so you shouldn't have to worry about this step. You need to change the Hash/family value (the one you tick and copy down), the subset name, and then fix integrity when you've set up everything. I don't think there's anything else you need to do with the MMAT (but follow the tutorial - my memory is kinda lousy when I don't have SimPE open ).

The mesh looks fine, so the problem most likely was somewhere in the recolor files.
Instructor
#13 Old 10th May 2021 at 2:48 PM
I think we all agree there is absolutely nothing wrong with your mesh. You did a textbook job of following IB's tutorial. Only things I can think of is there was an error when creating RCs 2 and 3, or a possible GUID conflict in your downloads folder (like an earlier version that wasn't removed).

_ WesHowe
Inventor
Original Poster
#14 Old 10th May 2021 at 6:27 PM
I think we all agree there is absolutely nothing wrong with your mesh. You did a textbook job of following IB's tutorial. Only things I can think of is there was an error when creating RCs 2 and 3, or a possible GUID conflict in your downloads folder (like an earlier version that wasn't removed).

Hello @d4RE
When testing I go into my downloads and remove any previous versions of the object and recolors to the desktop (or delete them!) and paste the new version into the game.
Have you tried the recoloring the mesh (with any available textures ) to see if more than two options will show up in your game?

I created another new object that needed a subset too (glass) and again only the mesh color and the last texture recolor show in game i.e. two texture options. I also went on-line and found @Ladyangel tutorial on adding a subset made in 2015 and it is along the same path as @IgnorantBliss.
Is it possible this is to do with me not having any allocated GUIDs and using the Hash Generator for a random GUID?
Mad Poster
#15 Old 10th May 2021 at 8:17 PM
You're only giving a new GUID to the mesh, right? After updating the GUID/OBJD (and ticking the "update MMAT" box/update) you're not supposed to do anything to the MMAT "objectGUID" line - not unless you for whatever reason have to change the GUID of an object after making several recolors, and have to fix the MMATs of the recolors to match.

It would be useful information if you could upload a mesh and a recolor that works along with one that doesn't work. It would give a better picture of what's going on.

Or (if you don't have any files currently) maybe you can explain the process of what you do when you recolor and how you edit the recolor files?
Instructor
#16 Old 10th May 2021 at 9:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Ladysimplayer8
Have you tried the recoloring the mesh (with any available textures ) to see if more than two options will show up in your game?

yeah, that's probably a good idea.

Is it possible this is to do with me not having any allocated GUIDs and using the Hash Generator for a random GUID?

Agreeing with simmer22 on this one. You only need to change the GUID in OBJD. Clicking the update MMAT is what makes them all match. If that is not the case, the mystery deepens....

_ WesHowe
Inventor
Original Poster
#17 Old 11th May 2021 at 6:53 AM
You're only giving a new GUID to the mesh, right? After updating the GUID/OBJD (and ticking the "update MMAT" box/update) you're not supposed to do anything to the MMAT "objectGUID" line - not unless you for whatever reason have to change the GUID of an object after making several recolors, and have to fix the MMATs of the recolors to match.

It would be useful information if you could upload a mesh and a recolor that works along with one that doesn't work. It would give a better picture of what's going on.

Or (if you don't have any files currently) maybe you can explain the process of what you do when you recolor and how you edit the recolor files?

Hello @simmer22 and @d4RE
Thank you for your replies.
What reason or instance would I have to change the GUID during recoloring? It is not something I have ever done.

This is the processes I follow:-
I start creating an object with Object Data (updating price, room scores etc), go into Hash Generator for a new random GUID (copy and paste), tick box, update all MMATs, commit, fix integrity and save. If an object has more than one object data, I use Hash Generator for a random GUID (adding a number to the end e.g.1), copy and paste, commit and save. Then move on to the GMDC, Textures, Material Definitions, CTSS etc.

When creating a subset, at the last stage for Material Override, I do not change the GUID (10 digit number e.g.0x????????) about three-quarters down the page, but at the family (dtstring line), go into the Hash Generator, check it is showing the same GUID as allocated at Object Data, select GUID (and although cannot copy and paste this number), I enter this new number and delete whatever was there and commit. I proof read this about 3 times.

When I recolor, I open the object and select recolor, name the object (usually just adding to name of object Texture2 etc), I usually select both subsets (if there is that option), import the texture, update all sizes, commit and save and repeat for second subset. In this case I have also tried only selecting one subset i.e. frame or cushion at a time to see if that makes a difference but only two chairs show in game.
I do not believe there is an issue with these textures I am using to recolor - if I only added one texture (regardless of which one) - the mesh and that texture would show in game. It is only when I add more than one in recoloring, the last texture I added is the one that shows. The pic I posted of the 4 chairs show all textures must work.

As stated in my last post, I have now created another item (sculpture) and it is the same story for that too. That item was given a random GUID from the Hash Generator just yesterday and had 3 items in object data.
The only other option could be CEP that I could try disabling in my preferences?
I was hoping someone could post an object where they had created a subset too that definitely recolors, then I could have look at it to see if I could spot something I am not doing.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 11th May 2021 at 3:37 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 11th May 2021 at 4:12 PM.
I did notice one thing with your mesh - you've added an extra punctuation mark in the filename. If you do this with the recolors, that could be why they're not showing up. I've seen some people having issues with some files not showing if they have extra punctuation marks (could depend on Windows/Mac version, or 32bit/64bit system) because in some cases the game sees this extra punctuation mark as "oh wait, this is NOT a "package" file but a ".5.package" file (like the mesh file you uploaded above) and doesn't read it properly - which is why you'll want to avoid using extra punctuation marks in filenames as a general rule (sometimes the files work fine, and other times they do this. Sometimes the mesh works fine despite an extra punctuation mark, but not the recolors. I don't know why, but I do know a few other people have had the same issue a while back, though it's not certain it's a problem on newer systems. Their files looked fine except for the extra punctuation mark, and removing it was the solution that made the files show ingame.).

If your recolors happen to have extra punctuation marks, spaces or other special characters (plain letters/numbers and _ and - are the least likely to cause issues) it doesn't hurt to rename the files and see if they work better.

---

If the above doesn't work or doesn't seem to be the problem, can you upload the files?

Quote:
What reason or instance would I have to change the GUID during recoloring? It is not something I have ever done.

If you've forgotten to give the object a GUID, started to recolor, and then realized the mistake. It's an easy fix though. Update the MMAT to fix the mesh file, then copy the GUID number and paste it into the "objectGUID" line in the recolor MMATs.

Other than that, rarely. Mostly it would be fixing GUID conflicts and/or giving GUIDs to items that never got GUIDs where the items already have recolors. It's not too common, though.
Instructor
#19 Old 11th May 2021 at 4:35 PM

When creating a subset, at the last stage for Material Override, I do not change the GUID (10 digit number e.g.0x????????) about three-quarters down the page, but at the family (dtstring line), go into the Hash Generator, check it is showing the same GUID as allocated at Object Data, select GUID (and although cannot copy and paste this number), I enter this new number and delete whatever was there and commit. I proof read this about 3 times.

You should be able to copy and paste here using Cntrl-C and Cntrl-V

I was hoping someone could post an object where they had created a subset too that definitely recolors, then I could have look at it to see if I could spot something I am not doing.

You can try looking at this: https://modthesims.info/download.php?t=598569
I added a glass subset here, so the recolors are in the TXMT itself, not in textures.

Somethng else just occurred to me. In the MMATs, the line defaultMaterial(dtBoolean) should only be "True" in the first color for each subset. You are changing the others to "False", aren't you?

_ WesHowe
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#20 Old 12th May 2021 at 1:10 AM
The only other option could be CEP that I could try disabling in my preferences?
CEP does not affect cc objects unless it is repositoried to the Maxis item. Disabling this will only result in extra subsets being removed when cloning.  The issue seems to be with recolors, so post the recolor packages along with the mesh.
Inventor
Original Poster
#21 Old 12th May 2021 at 7:23 PM Last edited by Ladysimplayer8 : 12th May 2021 at 9:09 PM.
You should be able to copy and paste here using Cntrl-C and Cntrl-V
You can try looking at this: https://modthesims.info/download.php?t=598569
I added a glass subset here, so the recolors are in the TXMT itself, not in textures.

Somethng else just occurred to me. In the MMATs, the line defaultMaterial(dtBoolean) should only be "True" in the first color for each subset. You are changing the others to "False", aren't you?

Hello d4RE
Thank you for your reply and suggestions.
Honestly I cannot copy and paste the GUID on the Material Override only on the object data - reason unknown as I copy and paste tons of other items (another mystery to solve later!).
Update: I tried Cntrl+C then Cntrl+V and it does work - so thank you for this tip. I generally right click on an object and select copy and paste where desired.

I am going to check the download and look at the subsets that you did - and will update later.
Update: I have looked at your hexytables with the six color options. My first observation was that all your recolors of table and glass are on this. I assume this object is not "Stand Alone" - most objects I clone I do select "Stand Alone" - so I will try deselecting this option from cloning. I will add the other color textures too rather than separately recoloring.

Re the defaultMaterial (dtBoolean) being "True" for the first color of each subset - in this case there ares two subsets - 1. wood (already created) and 2. cushion (subset I created).
Should wood - first subset- be true and the cushion - second subset - be false?
As I will be going into SimPE, I can check this out too.
Update: I tried changing my new subset (glass) with the new sculpture to false (for the defaultMaterial). I still only got two colors showing and the glass texture was blue (I know is not right).

I will start from scratch for the new sculpture and with all textures options and let you know how I got on.
Mad Poster
#22 Old 12th May 2021 at 7:40 PM
You can't copy to the left, but if you click on the GUID line (or any line) you'll see to the right where it says "value" and a big space at the bottom where the number is. That's where you can copy the numbers (or change them) in the MMAT.

You have to do Ctrl+C / Ctrl+V to copy and paste, though.

It's the same for the hash value - you need to do copy/paste there, too. If it's not working, it could be your Ctrl key isn't working properly. Check if the other (there's often two on a keyboard) works.

You should only fix the hash value once, which is when you're adding a MMAT. Don't do it for the recolors.
Inventor
Original Poster
#23 Old 12th May 2021 at 7:44 PM
I did notice one thing with your mesh - you've added an extra punctuation mark in the filename. If you do this with the recolors, that could be why they're not showing up. I've seen some people having issues with some files not showing if they have extra punctuation marks (could depend on Windows/Mac version, or 32bit/64bit system) because in some cases the game sees this extra punctuation mark as "oh wait, this is NOT a "package" file but a ".5.package" file (like the mesh file you uploaded above) and doesn't read it properly - which is why you'll want to avoid using extra punctuation marks in filenames as a general rule (sometimes the files work fine, and other times they do this. Sometimes the mesh works fine despite an extra punctuation mark, but not the recolors. I don't know why, but I do know a few other people have had the same issue a while back, though it's not certain it's a problem on newer systems. Their files looked fine except for the extra punctuation mark, and removing it was the solution that made the files show ingame.).

If your recolors happen to have extra punctuation marks, spaces or other special characters (plain letters/numbers and _ and - are the least likely to cause issues) it doesn't hurt to rename the files and see if they work better.-

If the above doesn't work or doesn't seem to be the problem, can you upload the files?

If you've forgotten to give the object a GUID, started to recolor, and then realized the mistake. It's an easy fix though. Update the MMAT to fix the mesh file, then copy the GUID number and paste it into the "objectGUID" line in the recolor MMATs.

Other than that, rarely. Mostly it would be fixing GUID conflicts and/or giving GUIDs to items that never got GUIDs where the items already have recolors. It's not too common, though.

Hello simmer22
Thank you for your reply and clarifying about when I might need to update a GUID.
My first step in creating is Object Data and allocating GUID (s).
When naming the objects, I start with my abbreviated name, TSR Project Name and end with Mesh - with no spaces between the words. I know in this case I have now made about six versions (trying different chairs) and I could be looking at the wrong one but I didn't think I had a punctuation mark but I could have made a typing error. I will check this in SimPE, update filenames and come back to you.
Mad Poster
#24 Old 12th May 2021 at 7:51 PM
The file you uploaded above was called "SP8ChairDiningPatioOLMeshv.5.package" which is why I said the thing about extra punctuation (the v.5 bit). Without other files to compare to, it wasn't easy to tell whether that's something you usually do or whether it was a typo, so I thought I'd mention it just in case.

Added a few things on the copy/paste issue above, by the way (you posted just now, so not sure if you saw it).
Instructor
#25 Old 12th May 2021 at 8:18 PM
Re the defaultMaterial (dtBoolean) being "True" for the first color of each subset - in this case there ares two subsets - 1. wood (already created) and 2. cushion (subset I created).
Should wood - first subset- be true and the cushion - second subset - be false?
As I will be going into SimPE, I can check this out too.

No. First wood color = true AND first cushion color= true
2nd, 3rd, 4th colors for both subsets=false

Whichever color(s) you designate as true will be the texture that shows in game when you first place the object (unless you choose a different recolor before placing). If more than one color per subset is true, things get screwy.

_ WesHowe
Page 1 of 2