Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Theorist
#26 Old 14th May 2013 at 4:08 PM
If they are cartoonier than TS3, that would be a step backwards as far as my personal preference. Characters are far more realistic looking in many of the modern RPG games that I play, yet I'm never bothered by "uncanny valley". I'm not too worried about it though, I'm pretty sure if the game is easy enough to mod, there will be plenty of more realistic CC hair and skin. They're just 3D meshes and textures anyway. Let's just hope TS4 doesn't end up being unusually difficult to mod.

I do like that they look more expressive. TS2 sims were so much more energetic and expressive than in TS3. TS3 sims are rather emotionally dry. I mean, you just caught your spouse cheating red-handed, and all you do is shake your shoulders and continue on with your day?

Resident wet blanket.
Advertisement
Alchemist
#27 Old 14th May 2013 at 6:34 PM
I'm hoping it's a totally new game
Test Subject
#28 Old 14th May 2013 at 7:51 PM
I like them - they've got character. Sims 3 was too 'realistic' in my opinion, with the shading and clothes and graphics in general; though lovely, it took away the oddball-ness that the Sims had built up.
Yeah, they look like CGI characters, but within months (weeks?) of the game being released I'm sure there will be all sorts of CC available online that will enable players to get the exact balance of realism and cartoon that individuals desire.
I think stepping back towards TS2 is a better move than trying to push forward from TS3 - could it be argued that 2 was more successful/popular than 3? I haven't played TS3 so I can't really say, though I still love TS2 despite its ragged edges and age.
And even if they do look like they've been pulled straight out of Pixar, the graphics will likely be even better, more sophisticated, so in a sense look more 'real' and three-dimensional without being overdone. But again, these are just preview images. Screenshots of in-game play will give us a better idea.
Tldr; if they strike this balance right this could be the best game yet - if they take care in all fields. But this is EA we're talking about.
Lab Assistant
#29 Old 15th May 2013 at 1:23 AM
It's official that TS2 sold better than TS3... if you look on the Wikipedia page, at least.

Also, hate to sound like I don't know much, but... what's wrong with Pixar-esque stuff? I mean, is it personal preference, or is it that Pixarishness is annoying, or what?

I'm glad that the sims here seem to have quirkiness, though. I really missed that. I played TS3 for a bit to check out both the storytelling features and the gameplay, and I was rather disappointed with both, but both ties into the quirks and the facial expressions. I went back to TS2 and felt that even though some of the expressions were really exaggerated (the crying face, the shocked face), they had character to them. And I liked that. Still do.

As long as EA doesn't fudge anything up, and as long as the sims are really as good/expressive as they're hinting they are, this might be the best game yet in regards to the sims themselves (I'll count the gameplay/worldbuilding/storytelling as an entirely different entity).

But let's not get our hopes up *too* high until we see that trailer in June.

TS2 Challenge Addict.
Mad Poster
#30 Old 15th May 2013 at 1:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by VanillaBean14
It's official that TS2 sold better than TS3... if you look on the Wikipedia page, at least.

yeah but you have to consider that ts2 has been around longer and they're still selling copies.
Lab Assistant
#31 Old 15th May 2013 at 2:10 AM
Very true. I guess I can't compare them until TS8 or so is out. *IF* TS8 comes out. Which won't be until 2034 or so, if EA keeps going my the 5 years between games pattern.

TS2 Challenge Addict.
Mad Poster
#32 Old 15th May 2013 at 5:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by VanillaBean14
Very true. I guess I can't compare them until TS8 or so is out. *IF* TS8 comes out. Which won't be until 2034 or so, if EA keeps going my the 5 years between games pattern.

No, actually we need to wait until somebody releases the digital download numbers as the wiki page states that it doesn't take those into account.
Instructor
#33 Old 15th May 2013 at 7:05 AM
Also, TS2 is no longer selling in stores, so I do not think that, according to Wikipedia, TS2 could be considered "still on the market."

My true to life tumblr: http://smargent.tumblr.com/
Field Researcher
#34 Old 15th May 2013 at 7:49 AM
I think the OP hit the gerbbits on the head with the word 'vibrant.' I find Sims 3 to be ghostly and unsubstantial, whereas sims 2 are nice and solid.
Either way I'm dreading the system specs. I can't afford a super-computer.
Alchemist
#35 Old 15th May 2013 at 1:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MsScribble
I think the OP hit the gerbbits on the head with the word 'vibrant.' I find Sims 3 to be ghostly and unsubstantial, whereas sims 2 are nice and solid.
Either way I'm dreading the system specs. I can't afford a super-computer.

No need to dread. As I said in another thread, EA doesn't make money unless casual gamers with somewhat casual computers can run it. My file server is a single core Sempron(the processor that put the "budget" in budget processor) and it runs TS3 fairly smoothly on Medium. Although it does have an upgraded video card. I don't think the system specs will be a problem for anyone
Field Researcher
#36 Old 15th May 2013 at 8:44 PM
The hair...no. That looks pretty blocky. Hopefully they'll smooth everything out and texture it nicely.
Instructor
#37 Old 15th May 2013 at 10:13 PM
I'm going to wait for more screenshots before I will base an opinion on TS4. There's nothing really to go by now.
Page 2 of 2