Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Feb 2022 at 11:24 AM Last edited by olomaya : 16th Aug 2022 at 8:01 PM.
Default **UPDATED 16-8-2022 ** Testers Wanted: Religion Skill/Career
16 August 2022: It's been a while but I think this is the last (hopefully) round of fixes for this version. And I just realized I wrote the same thing below a couple of months ago!
- After playing through and testing the entire Peteran Career, I made a bunch of changes/tweaks to it, including salary, working days, removed the Give Lecture metric and fixed the strings to all the opportunities.
- I also made some small fixes to the Peteran religion:
- fixed blank strings
- fixed an issue where unemployed Sims couldn't interact with the pulpit
- fixed the issue where the stage progress wasn't showing on the Give Fiery Sermon interaction
- simplified the Peteran book room classification so it's easier to find in Buy mode. Should be in MiscDecor or Study

Please download the updated "olomaya_Peteran_Packages" zip to overwrite your old files (the career is included in there as well). All other files remain the same. If downloading for the first time, please download both.

Thanks again for testing, it's been such a useful process.

26 June 2022: I'm back with another set (hopefully the last) of fixes!

Please downloaded the updated (V3) file package below with the following fixes:
- Banisteria herb no longer blocks all other herb effects or resets Sims when eating other herbs
- Church RH features automatically added when a new mausoleum is placed in world; features no longer duplicate upon reloading world without restarting game
- notifications added upon leveling up to Omiscan 3 and 4 (the text is identical because there are no changes at that level)
- Both religion skills are now unhidden from the skill journal so you can see your progress. There are no skill stats and I don't have any plans at the moment to add any but will consider for a future feature update.

Please read below for previous fixes, known conflicts and important instructions.

11 June 2022: Thanks to everyone who has tested and provided feedback so far. I've updated the download file in this post with updated files with some fixes:
- Missing text for levelling up to Peteran Level 3 is added
- Missing string for "Give Tithe" feature is added
- Sims with no Peteran skill level will now have a tithe amount
- Toddlers should be able to attend service if carried by another Sim
- Peteran skill decay rate greatly reduced (it was VERY aggressive)
- Tweaks made to banisteria effects to reduce the likelihood of a bad trip

------

I'm looking for testers/feedback for my religion mod. You will need Battery's Script Utility in order for this to work (not CTD) and CCLoader for the custom harvestable to show up.

Background:
There are two religions: Peteran (loosely based on TSM) and Omiscan (very loosely based on Jungle Adventures). Each one has its own skill, both are hidden but you will see the progress bar and get notifications upon leveling up or down. The skills should decay over time. Sims can pray and make offerings to the deities (omisca) based on their respective skill levels. The Peteran religion skill has a Priest career which you join at the mausoleum and can unlock interactions/features based on skill levels. Sims can also attend church service at the mausoleum RH or make tithe offerings there to gain their skills, as well as read sacred texts which you can buy at the bookstore.

Files & Objects:
You need to install the following package files: olomaya_religion_Peteran (needed for both religions), olomaya_religion_Omiscan, olomaya_banisteria_herb (if you're playing the Omiscan religion)
I've included Mspoodle's lovely TSM converted Peteran Pulpit (Hobbies) and Prayer stone (Sculptures) which I've added my scripts to as well as a Peteran Text (Misc Decor) object which serves as a lesson/FAQ to get more information about it. For the omiscan skill, I've added the script to ATS Sandy's JA totems but you can copy and paste the scripts to any objects you want to use depending on how you want to express the religions.

Tester Feedback:
It would be helpful to get feedback on the following: 1) skill gain and decay rates (too fast? too slow?); 2) any issues playing the Priest career with Ultimate Careers; 3) any bug feedback, particularly if you get null interactions (your Sim cannot interact with any other Sims). If you have ErrorTrap and get a null interaction, select on the Sim in your relationship panel and it should create an error report that will show the interaction causing the issue that you can send to me so I can fix.

Thanks in advance for anyone willing to help!
Attached files:
File Type: zip  olomaya_Peteran_Packages.zip (1,015.9 KB, 196 downloads)
File Type: zip  MTS_olomaya_16082022_olomaya_religion.zip (2.24 MB, 181 downloads)
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 28th Feb 2022 at 12:10 PM
wow this sounds incredible, i’ve been hoping someone would make a mod like this!!! i’ll do some testing when i have some free time and report back! sounds like you’ve put a lot of effort into this, so thank you, i can’t wait to try it!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#3 Old 28th Feb 2022 at 9:59 PM
Thanks! Looking forward to getting your feedback
Test Subject
#4 Old 3rd Mar 2022 at 12:18 PM Last edited by omedapixel : 3rd Mar 2022 at 12:26 PM. Reason: emojis don’t show up
hi! i’ve played a bit with the mod in game and have a couple of errors that have come up - not sure if they’re an issue with the mod itself or a conflict with another mod i have installed?

i think it also might conflict with gamefreak’s job overhaul, as i didn’t get the “attend service” option at the mausoleum unless i uninstalled that mod (

- when i click on the peteran pulpit i get no interactions and a script error. i’m not sure if it’s because my sim didn’t have high enough religion skill?

- there seems to be a missing string when i click on the mausoleum. i think it’s the “donate” interaction but i’m not sure

- when going from peteran skill level 2 to 3 by reading the skill book, the pop up message was blank and my sim would act like he leveled up, but then didn’t? when i had my sim pray to level up, it seemed to work normally.

- i don’t have the option to join the priest career at all and it’s not a career option even in the Nraas menu

i will sort through my mods and see if there’s a conflict and let you know!

i also want to say i love the parts that are working!! the text for all the books and notifications are fantastic and well written! and i love that you can offer anything in the sims inventory to the omisca- my sim offered her digital camera and it was well received lol

(i posted this from my phone so let me know if the pics don’t work)
Screenshots
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#5 Old 4th Mar 2022 at 2:02 PM Last edited by olomaya : 16th Aug 2022 at 7:59 PM.
@omedapixel
Quote: Originally posted by omedapixel
hi! i’ve played a bit with the mod in game and have a couple of errors that have come up - not sure if they’re an issue with the mod itself or a conflict with another mod i have installed?

i think it also might conflict with gamefreak’s job overhaul, as i didn’t get the “attend service” option at the mausoleum unless i uninstalled that mod (

Thanks so much for all this feedback! I will look at the job overhaul mod (I don't have it installed in my game) to see where the potential conflict could be.

- when i click on the peteran pulpit i get no interactions and a script error. i’m not sure if it’s because my sim didn’t have high enough religion skill?

- i don’t have the option to join the priest career at all and it’s not a career option even in the Nraas menu

So please allow me to put a giant DUNCE cap on my head and go stand in a corner. I forgot to include the Peteran Career file in the download folder.
So I'm guessing that might be the reason why it's not showing up,.  I've attached it here, sorry again, and yes, using the pulpit is skill locked to priests only at Level 5 to give sermons and then you can give "fiery" sermons at Peteran Level 6/Charisma Level 5.

- there seems to be a missing string when i click on the mausoleum. i think it’s the “donate” interaction but i’m not sure  

Argh, thought I had fixed this already but guess not!

- when going from peteran skill level 2 to 3 by reading the skill book, the pop up message was blank and my sim would act like he leveled up, but then didn’t? when i had my sim pray to level up, it seemed to work normally.

Hmm, I haven't seen this before. I'll try to recreate in my game to see if I can figure out the issue.

i also want to say i love the parts that are working!!   the text for all the books and notifications are fantastic and well written! and i love that you can offer anything in the sims inventory to the omisca- my sim offered her digital camera and it was well received lol

Yay, I'm glad you're enjoying the parts that aren't borked so far, lol! Will do some research to make the above fixes.
Inventor
#6 Old 6th May 2022 at 6:15 PM
Wow, this looks fabulous, and wonderful for my current medieval game.

One thing I was thinking, and I haven't loaded the mod up yet, is that I really want to simulate religion being a social center for my medieval neighborhood. I currently use the Fake Religion mod, which just changes the Art Gallery and related strings to Church, and I've been holding parties at the "Church" every Sunday morning. Mostly the part I like about using the art gallery is that it attracts a fair amount of visitors, so my sims can go to church to pray and run into inactives there.

If the church is a graveyard instead of an art gallery, does it get many inactive visitors?

Going to load this up to play around as soon as I can!

Echo Weaver's Simblr: http://echoweaver.tumblr.com/
A portrait in stubbornness - Playing the same legacy since 2009
Sample a Brave Legacy: http://sims3sample.illation.net
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 12th May 2022 at 7:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by echoweaver
If the church is a graveyard instead of an art gallery, does it get many inactive visitors?

I’d like to know about this too. Additionally, in some EA worlds the graveyard is on the outskirts of town and can have a somewhat spooky theme. Would it be possible to have these interactions available at another rabbithole in addition to the Mausoleum? Like maybe the Vault of Antiquity for those who have Supernatural installed. That might mesh better with other community lot types that draw in more visitors.

Overall, I’m excited to try this mod out since I didn’t get a chance to play Medieval. There are quite a few mechanics from that game that caught my attention and it’s cool to see this project take shape with one of them. You’re off to a great start already
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 27th May 2022 at 1:09 AM
OK, I may have found a bug. I've had an issue with sims resetting when consuming herbs or trying to do something else that would give them herb moodlets, basically they get reset right before they would be to get the herb-induced moodlet.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#9 Old 6th Jun 2022 at 7:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SonyaYU
OK, I may have found a bug. I've had an issue with sims resetting when consuming herbs or trying to do something else that would give them herb moodlets, basically they get reset right before they would be to get the herb-induced moodlet.

Sorry all, I've been MIA but thanks for the feedback and continued testing. Feel free to @ me so I get a notification next time.

I think I have the reset bug for the banisteria fixed, it had to do with the herb nausea timer. I'll run a test and then upload an updated version.

Quote: Originally posted by echoweaver

That's a good question. I had tested this out in Starlight Shores where there's a little chapel in the graveyard and it got a decent amount of people when my active Sims were on the lot, it was key to keep distractions down to a minimum.

Quote: Originally posted by Alunn
Would it be possible to have these interactions available at another rabbithole in addition to the Mausoleum? Like maybe the Vault of Antiquity for those who have Supernatural installed. That might mesh better with other community lot types that draw in more visitors.

That's a good suggestion. I will look into another type of RH to add service options to as I assume placing a mausoleum on any lot automatically makes that lot a graveyard?
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#10 Old 11th Jun 2022 at 1:16 PM
Just updated with some fixed files in the first post. Thanks to everyone for testing!
Forum Resident
#11 Old 11th Jun 2022 at 3:38 PM
Thanks for the update! Downloading the new version, will report back.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 15th Jun 2022 at 11:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by olomaya
That's a good suggestion. I will look into another type of RH to add service options to as I assume placing a mausoleum on any lot automatically makes that lot a graveyard?

Nice! I just tested this in game and the mausoleum RH only changes the lot to graveyard if the lot had no set lot type.

Also, I'm not getting the "Attend Service" or "Attend Service With" interactions on the mausoleum with the new version of the mod. The tithe interaction isn't showing up either, regardless of my sim's skill level. I have Battery's Utility and I don't have the Job Overhaul mod installed right now. Any suggestions?
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#13 Old 17th Jun 2022 at 6:58 PM Last edited by olomaya : 17th Jun 2022 at 8:45 PM.
Nice! I just tested this in game and the mausoleum RH only changes the lot to graveyard if the lot had no set lot type.

Also, I'm not getting the "Attend Service" or "Attend Service With" interactions on the mausoleum with the new version of the mod. The tithe interaction isn't showing up either, regardless of my sim's skill level. I have Battery's Utility and I don't have the Job Overhaul mod installed right now. Any suggestions?

Hmm, that's odd. I didn't make any changes to the code for those interactions, except for the string fix with the Give Tithe option, and they should all be available even if your Sim doesn't have any Peteran ability. Did you install any other mods between now and the last version you played? There may be a conflict with another mod I don't have in the game. I'll run it on a vanilla game and see if I can replicate.

UPDATE: I did a quick test and it looks like it's an instantiation issue. The features are added when the game is loaded initially but if you add a new mausoleum or delete and replace your existing one, the game won't add the interactions until you save and reload. Can you try saving your game with the featureless mausoleum, reloading the save and see if it the interactions show up? That will confirm my theory and then I can fix it in the next version.
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 18th Jun 2022 at 8:52 PM Last edited by Alunn : 19th Jun 2022 at 3:02 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by olomaya
Hmm, that's odd. I didn't make any changes to the code for those interactions, except for the string fix with the Give Tithe option, and they should all be available even if your Sim doesn't have any Peteran ability. Did you install any other mods between now and the last version you played? There may be a conflict with another mod I don't have in the game. I'll run it on a vanilla game and see if I can replicate.

UPDATE: I did a quick test and it looks like it's an instantiation issue. The features are added when the game is loaded initially but if you add a new mausoleum or delete and replace your existing one, the game won't add the interactions until you save and reload. Can you try saving your game with the featureless mausoleum, reloading the save and see if it the interactions show up? That will confirm my theory and then I can fix it in the next version.

Yep, reloading fixed the issue! All of the interactions now show up properly

EDIT: After saving and reloading again, there are now duplicates of the interactions showing up on the mausoleum, but the game hasn't thrown any errors so it's mostly benign right now.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#15 Old 19th Jun 2022 at 5:14 PM
Yep, reloading fixed the issue! All of the interactions now show up properly

EDIT: After saving and reloading again, there are now duplicates of the interactions showing up on the mausoleum, but the game hasn't thrown any errors so it's mostly benign right now.

Thanks! I saw this happen (the duplication of interactions) in one my save games too when I didn't close the game completely but went to the main menu and then loaded another neighborhood. It's likely related to the instantiation code snippet I'm using so the fix to address both.
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 22nd Jun 2022 at 12:04 AM
Sadly I still seem to have a problem with herbs causing sims to reset. Am I doing something wrong maybe?
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#17 Old 22nd Jun 2022 at 6:13 PM
Sadly I still seem to have a problem with herbs causing sims to reset. Am I doing something wrong maybe?

Hmm, I haven't been able to replicate this. Can you share your error report with me? Does the Sim reset when eating it or when it's added to their inventory?
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 22nd Jun 2022 at 9:06 PM
ok will send you the file on disc!
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 29th Jun 2022 at 11:06 AM
Hey I have the mausoleum options with the job overhaul mod installed!

Something I've seen though is that 'Give Sermon' is an empty string on the pulpit, but it shows up as 'Give Sermon' in the queue.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#20 Old 30th Jun 2022 at 6:20 PM
Hey I have the mausoleum options with the job overhaul mod installed!

Something I've seen though is that 'Give Sermon' is an empty string on the pulpit, but it shows up as 'Give Sermon' in the queue.

Why are strings the new bane of my existence?? Words!! *shakes fist in air*
But that's great to hear about the overhaul mod. I'll try it for myself and try to think about what updates I could have made to remove the conflict.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#21 Old 16th Aug 2022 at 8:02 PM
Just uploaded the latest/last round of fixes. I think barring any other issues, it should be ready for general release after this round.

This is just v1 of the mod. I would like to add more things for Priests to do (more types of sermons, officiate weddings, help other Sims gain religion skill) and then build out the Omiscan skill so you build the skill based on behaviors and actions, as well as add more features for the banisteria (making it into tea, smoking it as an herbal cigarette).