Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#1251 Old 26th Dec 2005 at 9:04 PM
Flye - I bet you didn't have the XYZ selected correctly on your mesh when you did the export.

As your mesh is laying down, follow these steps:
In simpe, export your mesh again with the settings of xzy or whatever the mixed up settings are (I'm not going to look it up)
In Meshtool, import the obj file you just exported from SimPE Put that new gdmc into simpe. You should see your mesh standing upright in simpe.

Try bodyshop again.

And Lakritze83 - that is not true, in another thread people have made several suggestions to you trying to guess where your work went wrong.
I am going to now suggest you *start over* from the original Maxis mesh. Make one small set of changes, name your edited obj file 'dress1.obj' and import it into SimPE and then check it in bodyshop and in the game.
If it works, then make another small set of changes, and name it dress2.obj, test it fully, and so on. That way you never will lose too much work if something goes wrong, and you can go back to the last working edit.
Yes, it's extra steps to make only some of the changes and then go through the whole build and import and run bodyshop and occasionally also test in the game, but it will save you from having a mesh that no one can fix for you.

This procedure, btw - making only a small amount of changes and then loading your new mesh into the game, and numbering each of your changes so you don't overwrite your old work - is a good technique for everyone to use. It's the one I use, and I have had to sometimes go back to the previous version and do parts again.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#1252 Old 28th Dec 2005 at 4:27 AM
hi
i am having trouble downloading Milkshape, i am new to all this stuff so i am probably doing something really stupid wrong. when i try to open Milkshape it says 'double click on custom content package file to install the content' it also does this when i try to install hair and clothes. please help
Lab Assistant
#1253 Old 28th Dec 2005 at 10:51 PM
Default A little help, please?
Hi, I have been trying for about three months to get a mesh I worked on into the game. I don't know what I am doing wrong. I have read the post and have come to a dead end. A few answer would set me straight and give me hope to try again.
First, I am using blender. I follow the steps. Everything seems to be going good and then I check it out in the game and it is either invisible or unchanged. I don't understand because, when I click on prview it shows the altered mesh. I did not add or remove any vertices. I only moved them.
I know many people do not like blender but, it is what I started with and I found working in blender to be the easiest part of it all.
I would like to know if Blender can be used for clothes?
If it can't why did the preview window in SimPE show the altered mesh?
Is there any other 3D program besides Milkshape that is free and will work with this tutorial?
I have tried Neptune Suzy tutorial but Wes H's plugins don't work with Blender.
I know I ask alot but, any input would be extremely helpful.
I apologize if this has been covered somewhere in this massive thread.
Test Subject
#1254 Old 29th Dec 2005 at 3:55 PM
Default Help
I've read Brianna's tutorial over and over again, downloaded Sim PE, Milkshape, Wes H's plugin, etc. Followed the steps carefully, but when trying to open it in Milkshape it wouldn't open, so I thought I'd uninstall it and reinstall it again, now the obj file is going in, but when trying to edit it in anyway it pops up an error message and closes on me. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Joanne
Lab Assistant
#1255 Old 30th Dec 2005 at 12:29 AM
I'm just checking to see if meshers are successfully using SimPE .52 to create meshes. I've been using .15 for a very long time, as I don't work on objects at all.. however, I need to install it on another computer.. and version .15 is no longer available.

Are there any known issues with this version?

.:: Sim Chic ::.
New & Improved with tasty TS3 goodness!
Instructor
#1256 Old 30th Dec 2005 at 7:35 PM
crechebaby- i've decided to experiment today and I've made a new body mesh. I have the most updated everything and since it worked I assume that means it would work for you too..lol i'm thinking about uploading it today..maybe later
Instructor
#1257 Old 30th Dec 2005 at 9:14 PM
nevermind..
Lab Assistant
#1258 Old 31st Dec 2005 at 3:28 AM
Default just not getting it
okay, perhaps i am just thick in my head. i have spent two days trying to make a clothign mesh appear in the game. i followed three tutorials now to the best i can, but i use wings 3d, and so when it says extract the gmdc, the rules are different because i dont have milkshape or fancy plugins. can i just export to obj, edit, and import it again? is there a tutorial somewhere that explains what to do in this case? at any rate i have tried several different things and either i get no change ( i repeated the steps to link the temp file many many times, so i am not convinced that is the problem) , or i get a floating head, or, the temp file stops showing up in bodyshop as well. please, someone, point me to an up to date tutorial that will help me do this with wings, my milkshape trial expired and i have no idea how to get it again ( i cannot afford to purchase it right now), and i am ready to rip my hair out, because i did successfully make something that looked like a mesh in the 3d program, and i can't even see if it is worth the time it took because i cannot make it show up.

Thanks

-Maggie
Check out my web site, we are always free!
Romance Sims -Maggie
Test Subject
#1259 Old 31st Dec 2005 at 7:33 PM
I'm having problems with SimPE because there is not a plugin menu (I can find) in v.52. Could someone possibly provide a link for version .32? It would be much appreciated :D.

[COLOR=Red]"Life is dirty... and it feels very, very good"[/COLOR]

[COLOR=Red]~Wang Mu, Children of the Mind[/COLOR]
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#1260 Old 31st Dec 2005 at 7:42 PM
You will have an easier time following this tutorial if you look in your SimPE folder and find 'simpe classic' which has an interface laid out much like the older SimPE versions. If you can't find your SimPE folder, just search your hard drive for the file.
Test Subject
#1261 Old 31st Dec 2005 at 10:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tiggerypum
You will have an easier time following this tutorial if you look in your SimPE folder and find 'simpe classic' which has an interface laid out much like the older SimPE versions. If you can't find your SimPE folder, just search your hard drive for the file.

^_^ Thanks, that helps a lot!

[COLOR=Red]"Life is dirty... and it feels very, very good"[/COLOR]

[COLOR=Red]~Wang Mu, Children of the Mind[/COLOR]
Lab Assistant
#1262 Old 1st Jan 2006 at 2:37 AM Last edited by romancereads81 : 1st Jan 2006 at 4:30 AM.
okay, has anyone successfully used blender or softimage xsi (as reccomended in a very previous post) to make new clothing meshes? it would be nice if i could useone of those since wings is useless to me.

-Maggie
Romance Sims -Maggie
Lab Assistant
#1263 Old 1st Jan 2006 at 5:31 AM
I have a problem my Sims 2 Body Shop won't open or work at all!!HELP!!!

[COLOR=Yellow]I love the Lord, Jesus Christ, and yellow!!!!! Psalms 139:23-24 look it up if you have a Bible, because I don't want to type it all.
Test Subject
#1264 Old 1st Jan 2006 at 6:35 AM
First of all, thanks to this great tutorial. I've been able to follow it up all the way until I get stuck on the "xyz" selector. (The tutorial screenshots on the first page did not include a screen of this so perhaps this is where I got confused and lost.)

I've attached a picture of my simpe. It's version 0.32 (Same as the one used in this tutorial I believe) but I couldn't find the part where I can alter the selector to the "XYZ" position. Can someone take a look at my screenshot and help? Thanks in advance.
Screenshots
Instructor
#1265 Old 2nd Jan 2006 at 6:48 AM
I don't really remember but I don't think SimPE .32 had the option to change the rotation that is only in the newer versions I think.

romancereads81 you can use XSI to make meshes useing the . smd format there is a mini tutorial for that on the thread for the newest version of meshtool.
Lab Assistant
#1266 Old 3rd Jan 2006 at 6:22 AM
I can't find the Selector! When I opened my mesh in milkshape, she was lying down! How do I change the XYZ thing?

Thanks,
Nicole
Instructor
#1267 Old 3rd Jan 2006 at 6:33 AM
If the mesh is laying on its back in milkshape then the rotation is right for the meshtool.It can be difficult to work with but that is how the meshtool expects to see the mesh.
Test Subject
#1268 Old 3rd Jan 2006 at 12:09 PM
Okay does anyone has the problem of opening the .OBJ file in milkshape and the milkshape doesn't open the mesh model?

I'm having this problem. My milkshape program remained blank even when I follow all the steps in the tutorial up to the point where I'm supposed to open the .OBJ file in milkshape. I'm positive I didn't miss any steps as I've gone through it a couple of times to make sure.

My milkshape version is the latest one (I think?) Version 1.7.6 and SimPE is version 0.32.
Instructor
#1269 Old 3rd Jan 2006 at 2:11 PM
I am not sure but if you are trying to export a nightlife mesh then .32 won't do that.It could be something else but that is one possibility.
Test Subject
#1270 Old 6th Jan 2006 at 7:14 PM
Default Help me,please
Can I create clothes mesh with wings3D? :wave:
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#1271 Old 7th Jan 2006 at 3:47 AM Last edited by tiggerypum : 7th Jan 2006 at 3:52 AM.
romancereads81, I have used Modtool to make new meshes, like these:
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=104078
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=95973

(I also did the one for the MidSimmer Night's Eve set)

Hopefully I'll have my modtool documentation up shortly. I'm also working on some overviews and other useful info for body meshing. But it's hard to get the complex pile of info from my head all onto paper!

Moni_ka - I'm not sure if you can use the basic editing with modtool and obj files with Wings3d. For some reason the internal structure of obj files is not identical. I have a vague memory of someone editing their work in one editor and then running it through milkshape before importing with Meshtool, but I can't promise that works. Maybe someone will verify if it works or does not!
Lab Assistant
#1272 Old 7th Jan 2006 at 7:02 AM
Tiggerypum....first, those meshes are AWESOME, great work! when it came down to it, i got milkshape. it was so worth it! my first mesh came out on the first try, and i have already moved on to more complicated tutorials to try to learn cool stuff. (using this one as a basis, of course). i really want to thank everyone for their support...and i just want to say...this tutorial is as easy (mayeb easier, even) as it looks...when using milkshape. if you are using something else...be prepared to rip your hair out a little first.

Maggie

-Maggie
Romance Sims -Maggie
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#1273 Old 7th Jan 2006 at 10:28 AM
romancereads81 I also did the other Midsimmer meshes I made using Milkshape and *this tutorial*. I used a few extra tricks, like I fixed the uv mapping some, which I'm also working on writing about. So anyway, keep watching this forum also, we should have some more info up soon, some for the more advanced mesher
Test Subject
#1274 Old 7th Jan 2006 at 11:32 AM
I can't creat with Milkshape.Milkshape is tricky me :sadpanda: I don't find descriptions how to work with Milkshape.
Test Subject
#1275 Old 8th Jan 2006 at 6:16 PM
Hi!

Well I followed the tutorial until step 25. Then I right clicked the geometric data container and exported the mesh. Edited in milkshape etc... I've left the "auto smooth" thing unchecked. But when it goes back to body shop I get those sharp edges you've mentioned... There's a link to some screenshots below. What am I doing wrong? Tks!

http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/1815/deformed1lx.jpg
Locked thread | Locked by: tiggerypum Reason: Outdated, replacement tutorial posted
Page 51 of 54