Replies: 9 (Who?), Viewed: 313 times.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Mar 2021 at 10:35 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default Too Many Worlds Slow Game Down?
I've googled this question, but my question turns into a question about CC instead of answering my initial question. Will too many worlds, or saves slow my game down?

I'm cool with uninstalling worlds I just want to know would it help since i keep taking CC out of the game and my game is still slow.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 12th Mar 2021 at 11:52 PM
nah, when you load a world, other worlds not really in play.

Sanity is overrated.

Nitromon is a type of Pokemon encountered in the Pokemon Nitrome Version series.

There. Mystery solved.
Alchemist
#3 Old 13th Mar 2021 at 11:25 AM
Saves don't slow down your game, either, at least never has for me. But, if you have too many (and/or too bloated) saves in the save game folder, then the risk of getting error 12 rises dramatically while saving the game. I never keep more than 2-3 saves in that folder at the same time. I also use the SaveCleaner to the latest game save every time before launching the game to keep the game saves at reasonable size.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 13th Mar 2021 at 12:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorceress Supreme
I never keep more than 2-3 saves in that folder at the same time.

Nah, you don't have to worry about that. You can have as many saves in the "saves" folder and it wouldn't matter. The saves folder is a storage folder and has no effect on the game itself after the save you want is loaded and copied to "current game" folder.

In fact, in each save, say "Bridgeport" you can have as many NHD and export files as well from vacation worlds, it won't really affect your game and how it performs other than taking up HDD space. When you load Bridgeport, all it really loads is the Bridgeport NHD and the travelDB, I don't think it even loads the Bridgeport export file. And when you save, it only saves in the NHD file, rare even in the travelDB or the export file unless there were some major changes in the foreign visitors from the SP. But again, I have rarely ever seen those files updated other than when you travel.

Error 12 is strictly related to the NHD file and though cleaning it with Kuree's is helpful, but it is still mostly dependent on how many sims, how many objects, how furnished are your buildings, and how big is your family trees (of all the sims). When you use NRAAS MC, you can go to "sims --> advanced --> total annihilation --> Homeworld" and see the number of sims in your hometown. This will include, dead sims, minisims, service, resident, animals, etc... If it exceeds 500 in any world, you should clean the family tree, delete the minisims, etc... else it will bloat your game and cause error 12. (Just choose homeworld + (and))

Typically I go through total annihilation and delete "minisims" that are not related to my residents. I also delete all dead animal ones. Likewise, if you only play a few households, you can delete all the other dead minisims. Sometimes they're not in the minisims but in the dead pool, and you can clean that too. Largest I got in my total pop was over 1000 and that is just error 12 hell. Because I play the whole town, so every now and then, I use "sims --> basic --> family tree" to examine the minisims and delete any dead sims that is more than 4 generations, because they do not really affect the family and their descendants are no longer noticeably related in the game.

Sanity is overrated.

Nitromon is a type of Pokemon encountered in the Pokemon Nitrome Version series.

There. Mystery solved.
Alchemist
#5 Old 13th Mar 2021 at 4:47 PM Last edited by Sorceress Supreme : 13th Mar 2021 at 6:41 PM.
Well, if I have say 4, 5 or more saved games in the save folder and I try to save, I either get error 12 or the game crashes without warning (max memory used). Then the only way was to remove all the saves and save again. After that - and it happened many, many times - I learned to limit my game saves. That pretty much solved my problem.

I can understand the 'max memory used' error but have no clue why the game served me the error 12, as well (I don't play in huge worlds). Maybe it's just some odd coincidense but, like I said, I get neither with limited saves. In some cases - rarely - I have had to delete the travelDB in order to get the game to save. And too many screenshots in the Screenshot folder... 'Max memory used' error is on the way.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 13th Mar 2021 at 9:49 PM
Quote:
Well, if I have say 4, 5 or more saved games in the save folder and I try to save, I either get error 12 or the game crashes without warning (max memory used). Then the only way was to remove all the saves and save again. After that - and it happened many, many times - I learned to limit my game saves. That pretty much solved my problem.

I can understand the 'max memory used' error but have no clue why the game served me the error 12, as well (I don't play in huge worlds). Maybe it's just some odd coincidense but, like I said, I get neither with limited saves. In some cases - rarely - I have had to delete the travelDB in order to get the game to save. And too many screenshots in the Screenshot folder... 'Max memory used' error is on the way.

I'm pretty sure it is a coincidence or some other issue. To examine error 12, we have to look at the actual RAM usage whether it exceeds the 3.5GB threshhold. Usually when you are in edit town and the RAM usage is above 3.3GB, your chance of saving is extremely slim. I'm not sure what the "max memory used" error is, I assume it is from one of the error log? But I also assume that it is referring to RAM not HDD space, as it is rare to call HDD space as memory. (However, you should check your HDD/SDD availability in where your saves folder and your currentgame folder is located)

Where is your TS3 user folder located? And how much free space is available on that drive? Mine is located actually on a RAMdisk, which is why the size of the save matters. If you are on a HDD/SSD, with a lot of free space, it really doesn't matter how many saves or how big your save is. But if you are experiencing saving errors and it is relevant to your HDD space, it is more likely issues with your "currentgame" folder in the TS3 user folder.

So this is how the game loads and saves: (You can observe this by opening the currentgame folder)
1) The game loads but nothing is in the currentgame folder, it is loading other parts of the game
2) Somewhere about 1/2 way in loading, you'll see it "copies" the save into the current game folder.

Then you play

3) When you save, you will notice the NHD file in your currentgame folder start over from 0 and it will climb up to about 1/2 what the original size is. This is after it has saved the world, the buildings, etc... etc... This is typically right away. For the rest of the save, the long part, it is saving your sims, your family tree, your actual progress. This is where the "errors" often occur.

For example: Your homeworld.NHD is 150MB in size. When it initially saves it starts over and climbs to 70MB, this means your world information, the buildings, lots, etc... is 70MB. After several minutes when the save is complete, the size will be bigger than 150MB, maybe 153MB, because of progress and additional SNAPS.

Error 12 occurs during this 2nd part of the saving, when it reaches a certain data that is corrupt or it hit the max RAM usage, it dumps whatever it has already compiled into the NHD and gives you "error 12," so you ended up with 123MB or 140MB, losing whatever data after that.

4) "After" it has saved in the currentgame folder, then depending on your saving method, it then interacts with your saves folder.

a) If you use "save as" then it will copy all the content in the currentgame to your saves folder under a new name you designated.
b) If you use "save" or "save and quit" it will rename your original save to ".backup" and then copy the currentgame to your saves under the same name
c) If you have error 12 it will copy the content to your saves under ".bad"

So the whole saving process does not actually interact with your saves folder until it is complete, hence why it is not related to how many saves you have or how big is each save.

Not enough HDD/SDD space:
1) If your "currentgame" folder diskdrive doesn't have enough space, this is extremely bad. This rarely happens unless you are like me using RAMdisk or some sort of restrictive drive. When this happens, the saving will stop and dump the save at the max space available, but it doesn't give you any warning. It will treat it as a successful save, but you end up with a corrupt save. This happened to me many times b/c I was careless. If you use "save and quit" you essentially just lost that save. Example, your homeworld.NHD is 150MB, but you have 0MB left. The final save is 155MB, so it saved only 150MB and you lost 5MB. However, this save will never load, it will just return to main screen each time.

2) If your "currentgame" folder drive has enough space, but your save folder doesn't. This one I don't know because I never experienced it. My saves folder is on my HDD and it has like 25GB free.

So error 12 is "mostly" because your RAM usage exceeds a certain threshold amount that it cannot get enough RAM to save, when you save the RAM goes up. But it is more strictly defined as corrupt RAM, so if your game has some sort of corruption like a bad CC etc, it could randomly corrupt the data in the RAM and it won't save. This happened to me a couple of times, I don't get it, but it was rare. My RAM usage was 3.0GB but it won't save and gives me error 12.

Sanity is overrated.

There. Mystery solved.
Alchemist
#7 Old 13th Mar 2021 at 11:47 PM Last edited by Sorceress Supreme : 15th Mar 2021 at 11:55 AM.
My whole Sims 3 folder in on my main SSD drive, with plenty of space (over half of it still unused. I have a pretty good gaming rig and I'm getting ever better one in a few months but I know that it won't make any difference because the game's own limitations aren't going to go away. The 'Max memory used' error is given by the crash log analyzer and for me it first occured shortly after ITF was launched. Igazor actually just explained it very well in one of the threads at the WCIF section.

https://modthesims.info/showthread....ight=max+memory

I think I have kind a derailed this thread a bit. My apologies to the OP.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 14th Mar 2021 at 1:58 AM
Quote:

Nah, all this are good stuff to help with the OP's initial topic to understand how TS3 works and what can help improve performance.

Anyways, yeah it is unlikely to be HDD. Keep an eye on your RAM usage when error 12 happens.

Sanity is overrated.

There. Mystery solved.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 14th Mar 2021 at 3:44 PM
Quote:

Not at all! i'm learning a lot from you two discussing, don't stop on my account lol!
Instructor
#10 Old 16th Mar 2021 at 7:36 PM
I have 22, if I counted correctly, worlds installed including EP, TS3 Store worlds and 4 third-party worlds. Currently, I have eight saves in the saves folder and usually play without removing them despite it takes awhile when rotating worlds/saves for each round. My largest save is around 186+ weeks and does take some time to load initially, but I've been playing with most of those Sims for many real life years though I'm sure there are other reasons as to why it takes 10 minutes more or less. I'm still in the process of cleaning up and actually something that it is a must continuously anyway for the longevity of any save.

I do use mods and some mods may make loading times longer especially for that particular save. I do get Error Code 12's every now and then but is usually a cause from mods that is putting more stress on the game engine, high poly content, poorly made mods/cc, etc. Once I figure the issue out, my game goes back to minimal to no lag or crashing or EC12. I'm sure I'll eventually get EC12 again but so far I haven't gotten it in awhile and I've been in and out of CAS, switching households, moving the camera several times all the way across the neighborhood, playing for hours, etc.

My other saves are much less than 186+ weeks and are either 20 weeks 7 days or 15 weeks 7 days currently. Still rather new when I started implementing a new playstyle to rotate between worlds besides households. This way I get playtime with, at the time, unused worlds while moving Sims around to new locations for whatever reason. There are at least 7 more worlds I would eventually like to add in addition with more 3rd party worlds.

Because I'm Fragile...but I'm not "that" fragile.