Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Nov 2020 at 10:32 PM Last edited by featherkeys : 28th Nov 2020 at 2:29 AM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default [solved] splitting overstuffed household into separate world
My legacy household is overstuffed. What I'd like to do is split the spares into their own household in a separate neighborhood/world, in a way that preserves the family tree and also holds the spares in a kind of stasis where they are exempt from storyprogression. My understanding is that vacation worlds do not (should not) use storyprogression, so I thought I could simply split the household, move the spares, then vacation to the main world and switch back to the legacy household. This was technically possible but the process seems to have corrupted several sims from the legacy household. The sims show up in the relationship panel but not the family tree. I use awesomemod as well and the "whereis" command says the sims simply do not exist. I'm not sure if I could find them and fix the relationship using mastercontroller, but I'm also wary of using this method as the generations progress and more sims might be affected.

As I see it, either I create a "do not interact" caste and keep the spares in town, or I move the spares out and use a third-party program to keep track of the family tree. Is there another option?

Also, I wasn't quite sure how to phrase this question for an effective search query. Apologies if I've missed an obvious answer elsewhere.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 27th Nov 2020 at 10:54 PM
If you have or can add NRaas Traveler, then you can move the portion of the household that you wish to any world that you have installed and both worlds will stay in play with whichever one is at the moment not being played in held in suspended animation. Relationships, family trees, and history should stay intact and if you want you can have the sims visit each other on subsequent vacations. You can't push the sims out to the foreign world though, you do have to actually play them while taking them on a bogus "vacation," run the Switch Homeworld procedure on them, then after they get all settled in switch gameplay back to the original homeworld by traveling back with no one on board.

http://www.nraas.net/community/Trav...lds-permanently

There is nothing inherently wrong with running story progression in vacation worlds (meaning NRaas SP or Awesome's version) if you prefer that experience, but nothing like that can affect a foreign connected world while it's not being simulated. Whether sims in the foreign world age or not is up to the player, by way of a Traveler option in the world being played.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 27th Nov 2020 at 11:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
There is a lot of "theoretical" about this topic, but from experience, if you care a lot about family tree, keep them in the same world.

It may indeed be safer that way, but to some of us not as much fun. Your style of play and the sheer number of generations you have been managing doesn't match that of everyone else. Neither does mine or anyone else's in particular, to be fair, but I for one have only had my 16 connected world structure begin to melt down when I was using early testing versions of some of our own mods. That doesn't really match the general player experience either and it was all fixable in the end.

I also would never use MC for cross-world commands other than inviting a sim over for a visit (Invite Over) or pulling them in permanently (Add Sim), the former of which of course we know is going to generate a mini-sim just for purposes of the visit, because other types of commands would really only keep the results of their usage pending in the TravelDB file. That structure can be delicate enough as it is.

Moving a small number of sims out to one foreign world is not very likely to break this player's game unless the world they are moving them to is not Traveler mod compatible. And we are there at NRaas if they need assistance with the process or managing its results. It doesn't sound to me like this player expects or wants the sims they are moving out to progress in any way for now, although I could have been misinterpreting that.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 28th Nov 2020 at 12:39 AM Last edited by featherkeys : 28th Nov 2020 at 2:29 AM.
I do have nraas traveler installed, though I used the "move to new town" option on the phone rather than the method described in the FAQ. I have to wonder if that method was created specifically to avoid the problems I had, as it's much more convoluted than the plan I cooked up. I'll have to give it a proper go.

Slightly off-topic but I never thought that a world might be incompatible with traveler. I moved the sims from Sunset Valley to Starlight Shores, for reference.

Edit: The method described in the FAQ worked fine, though the family tree portrait shows the spare as a toddler instead of YA.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 28th Nov 2020 at 2:59 AM Last edited by igazor : 28th Nov 2020 at 3:15 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by featherkeys
I do have nraas traveler installed, though I used the "move to new town" option on the phone rather than the method described in the FAQ. I have to wonder if that method was created specifically to avoid the problems I had, as it's much more convoluted than the plan I cooked up. I'll have to give it a proper go.

Slightly off-topic but I never thought that a world might be incompatible with traveler. I moved the sims from Sunset Valley to Starlight Shores, for reference.

Edit: The method described in the FAQ worked fine, though the family tree portrait shows the spare as a toddler instead of YA.

Traveler is supposed to cover the Move to New World function as well. It's newer and didn't come about until IP was released. But as the FAQ explains, that coverage never was reliable and we always recommend the original and longer vacation fake-out method instead. I should have explained what I meant by incompatible with Traveler -- some player made custom worlds were not ID'ed uniquely during their CAW creation phase. It's those that act up. Many custom worlds are fine and EA worlds always are. You would know if you have an incompatible one because upon returning back home, you would probably land in a fresh instance of that world instead of the one you were actually playing.

The sim who is really a YA appearing to be a toddler is really just cosmetic, that does happen sometimes although it's unusual for it to do so right away like that. It means the TravelDB file is holding onto some outdated or incorrect info about that sim. If you were to visit the foreign world again or invite the YA over for a visit then send them back home, that ought to fix itself; hopefully a toddler doesn't show up for a visit because unless they're a little advanced for their age they're going to have some difficulty getting around town on their own to make it to your sim's house. (of course do an extra save as first, in case something goes wrong there)

Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
I even found some random kids being added and their parents are pets.

Now that's a sign of data corruption in the TravelDB, meaning that the ID numbers of the foreign sims being tracked have become scrambled somehow. We know it can happen if the player replaces a foreign world with another already played instance of the same world mid-stream (during the same ongoing game) by flipping existing nhd files around or if they delete the TravelDB entirely but keep the worlds in play. There may be and probably are other causes.

I know you are tempting me to say that your mother was a llama. Nope, not gonna do it.