Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Nov 2020 at 6:46 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default University UI black box issue
This may be a shot in the dark because I don't think anyone will know a solution to this but somehow these small bugs really irritate me. It seems that some EP has broken the University UI animation that signals when your sim gains a skill point. Below I've attached how it is supposed to work in a game with only University installed, and how it looks now in a game with M&G Stuff installed. It seems there is something missing hence the black box.

Does anyone have an idea what might be the issue here? Thanks in advance for any help or ideas!
Attached Images

Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 23rd Nov 2020 at 8:22 PM
Do you have any downloads or mods installed, and if so, have you seen if this problem still happens if you move your downloads out of your game folder?

It could be a problem related to an outdated mod or a mod conflict, and trying without downloads is the first thing you should try if you have an issue with your game, because it answers a lot of questions.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 24th Nov 2020 at 4:53 PM
The screenshot was taken in a vanilla game, so mods cannot be the issue sadly :/
Forum Resident
#4 Old 24th Nov 2020 at 5:47 PM
What's the latest EP you've installed? Is it just Mansion & Garden Stuff, or have you added other EPs/SPs recently? Are you on discs or Ultimate Collection (I think that answer may be obvious)? What order did you install your EPs?

A lot of questions, I know, but I'm kind of brainstorming here.

When a game is predictable, it's boring.
That goes for any medium that isn't life.
That's why The Sims 2 is my favourite sims game.
It has elements of unpredictability and everything feels more involved.
The Sims 4 is another story altogether...
Mad Poster
#5 Old 24th Nov 2020 at 6:51 PM
Guessing you're using CDs since you've added another EP (the UC is all or nothing) - but do you have all as singles, or some as collections (such as Best of Business or Fun with Pets, or any of the other collections)?

Have you patched your game?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 25th Nov 2020 at 9:38 AM Last edited by colazocker13 : 25th Nov 2020 at 11:05 AM.
I have the game as all singles, no collections, and fully patched. I installed them all a long time ago, and "in order". I used AnyGameStarter to get a University only game and a game with just University and M&G, where the bug happened. It happens in my main install with all EPs as well.

Does the same thing happen in your game or is it just me? Because if it's only in my game, it could probably fixed more easily.

EDIT: I've gotten closer to the root of the issue (I think). Using AGS, I loaded up a game with up to NL and the UI still worked properly. As soon as I added OFB, the black box appeared again, which does make sense since the UI for skills was changed to add the talent badges with OFB. So it's either an oversight on EA's part or it's my install (which I kinda doubt). Not sure where to go from here
Mad Poster
#7 Old 25th Nov 2020 at 2:33 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 25th Nov 2020 at 5:19 PM.
Does the bug happen both with and without AGS (playing your main install without AGS in the picture)?

Does seem like an UI bug, but since it seems to pop up with every other EP it could be a bug that's fixed, then reappears, and keeps going like that. Maybe via a patch.

I had single CDs installed until recently, but haven't played Uni in ages, so if there was a bug with the newer EPs/SPs, I never noticed (I did play Uni quite a lot with just NL/UNI installed, and I think I would've remembered this bug if it was from the very early games. No idea if I got as far as to installing OFB or more on that playthrough, though).
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 25th Nov 2020 at 3:05 PM
Yup, happens with AGS and the main install.

I tried patching my game again (which surprisingly, I did miss some of the patches), but it still happens. Guess I'll just have to live with it, it's only a minor annoyance anyway.
Thanks for your help and ideas though!
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#9 Old 25th Nov 2020 at 5:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by colazocker13
Does the same thing happen in your game or is it just me? Because if it's only in my game, it could probably fixed more easily.
Doesn't happen in my game that I have seen, I have all disc install (no collections). If you've pinpointed the EP, why not try uninstalling and reinstalling OFB? There's a specific patch for OFB too, not sure entirely if it's needed but it can't hurt.
Game Help:TS2 Patcheswiki
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 26th Nov 2020 at 4:17 PM
Doing a reinstall might be worth a shot, though that could take a while with backups and all, so I'm not sure it really bothers me that much lol. I'm also not sure whether it is just OFB causing it or simply any EP after OFB. The screenshot I posted was made in an AGS with UNI and M&G only, so no OFB...

I'll update if I decide to do it and if it fixes it.