Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#1801 Old 12th Jun 2021 at 3:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Victor_tor
Your houses blend perfect with my house, Cat. Try to find out where are yours

You only used 1 of mine...
It's 1 against 4!

But, they do look nice together .
I see you did use the end pieces. I thought they were different enough to warrant including them. You can't just bulldoze the "wing" walls, because the roof overhang looks wrong. And, to fix the roof, you need to Lot-Adjust it bigger. PITA. So, I included them.

Please ~ support my TS2 habit! Shop at my Etsy shops:
CatherinesJewelry ~ Artisan Jewelry
Catherine's MOUSE ~ Up/Recycled Jewelry
and Vintage Stuffeths
Advertisement
Instructor
#1802 Old 12th Jun 2021 at 4:41 PM
Oh wow, Johnny's "presents" look great! I'm particularly impressed by Victor's practical solution to the roof of the storage area. (I probably would have done some stupidly complex CFE.) Good jobs all around!

So going along with my slow on-going project of making community lots to use with rabbit hole rugs, combined with the personal challenge of trying out different architectural styles. Here's a government building (city hall, police, and military rabbit holes combined) in Brutalism. It is roughly inspired by the Minton-Capehart Federal Building in Indianapolis. Though my initial plan was for a giant atrium with a skylight that went all the way through the core of the building, with some suspended walkways and ringed balconies, etc., etc. But that didn't really plan out. That takes up a lot of space. While that could work with just small offices and narrow conference rooms, a legit courtroom just needed more space, and I really wanted to keep it to a 30x30 lot. The inspiration building has colorful mural on the base (a very me thing, indeed) and a slight inverted pyramid form, where the floors get larger as they go up (a nod to the stepped pyramid roof of the nearly war memorial) that give it character, I wanted instead very textural walls. Like the inspiration, the overall form of the building is very simple (I broke that up slightly by having an elevator shaft disrupt one side); heavily textured walls give it that kind of jumbly chaos you see in things like Habitat 67 in Montreal and other more asymmetrical Brutalist buildings. I went with offset zigzag walls paired with unusually shaped windows, and I think it turned out fairly nice.

I'm always afraid that my flat roofs are going to be too boring. That is very much a Sims 3 issue, since you are frequently bouncing around the neighborhood seeing the full exteriors of all the lots. So it's one of the places I mimic the shape of the windows.

Personally, I don't love Brutalism. I've learned to not hate it, but it often feels oppressive and dystopian. I would say that is an ironic look for a government building, because the inverse that it is unironically, literally the most appropriate style is just a scary thought (straight up Orwellian terror). I played this up by having no landscaping outside. The only plants are essentially imprisoned within the atrium--oppressing nature! :P

I couldn't quite bring myself to do a full-on Brutalist interior. Expected grey concrete everywhere is oppressive, yes, but "corporate beige" everywhere is oppressive and bland! The extra soul-crushing comes from the mediocrity.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#1803 Old 12th Jun 2021 at 5:29 PM
Those windows are perfect for that! I wish TS2 had cool windows like that.
And I love your attention to the roof - the detail up there is great
(Not really a Brutal fan, myself)

and Vintage Stuffeths
Theorist
#1804 Old 12th Jun 2021 at 5:59 PM
That's not looking too brutalistic, cutsocks. This house is much better then brutal. Mostly because of those windows shape. It could fit very modern art tendences. Brutal architecture means you will enjoy with solid glass wall, or you will enjoy with plain concrete wall. Those windows look too much gaily. I guess that you should not stick on it. And furnish it like says your mind. ^_^

Here you can see more of my creations and conversions for sims 3. ;) I`ll glad to see your comments in.
Instructor
#1805 Old 12th Jun 2021 at 10:19 PM
That's not looking too brutalistic, cutsocks. ... Mostly because of those windows shape. ... Brutal architecture means you will enjoy with solid glass wall, or you will enjoy with plain concrete wall.

I completely agree with you. My inspiration building is less extreme than most Brutalist buildings for starters. When I was initially playing around that window, I went and looked at again at all sorts of Brutalist buildings--99.9% have square or rectangular windows. But then 99.9999999999999999999999999% of all types of buildings everywhere do not have that shape of windows. What do you even call that shape? They're dodecagonal, but that doesn't really describe the actual shape. Angular reverse hourglass? I did experiment with having a "wall of glass" and some sort of concrete "screen" in front to give me that textured look, but I couldn't come up with anything satisfying.

Next time, definitely, when I try my hand at Brutalist civic architecture, I'll work from the inside to the outside. I think that will have more truer results than coming up with the outside first.
Mad Poster
#1806 Old 12th Jun 2021 at 11:23 PM
Well - I like those windows! They give the building an artsy vibe - making it an almost 'welcoming' - yet still plenty imposing - building.
Maybe it's "Futuristic Brutalism" - with an artsy twist ...make mine a double!

You know, I'm almost certain I've seen RL buildings that look a lot like that, and that have been described as Brutalist. I'm gonna go search the net...
Searched for "brutalism in America" - and this was in the top 10 image results...

I'd say you nailed it!

and Vintage Stuffeths
Forum Resident
#1807 Old 12th Jun 2021 at 11:55 PM
WOW! thats a lot of work and patients @cutsocks and yes i do say you nailed it

C.T.HOLKO88
Instructor
#1808 Old 13th Jun 2021 at 4:12 AM
@CatherineTCJD LOL, had I only added "in America" to my searches, I'd have been much more confident! I must have run across that building before and just lost it in the recesses of memory, cause that is also so spot on to the kind of concrete "screen" I had in mind--something to soften the light and give a modicum of privacy to the glass walls behind.
Theorist
#1809 Old 13th Jun 2021 at 12:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CatherineTCJD
You know, I'm almost certain I've seen RL buildings that look a lot like that, and that have been described as Brutalist. I'm gonna go search the net...
Searched for "brutalism in America" - and this was in the top 10 image results...
I'd say you nailed it!

Oh woow. Well it is waaaay different from brutalist in my country. There are some buidings that still exist in countries of past USSR: Ukraine, Belarus, Armenia etc. I won't provide with links but believe me, brutalism in USSR was much heavier and much monumental.

Here you can see more of my creations and conversions for sims 3. ;) I`ll glad to see your comments in.
Forum Resident
#1810 Old 13th Jun 2021 at 2:20 PM
My grand Colonial manor is ready to upload! Anything I should change up a bit or perfect as is???
I just love how perfectly symmetrical it turned out!!!
Just need a name any suggestions?
might start a new collection with this one that the next era after The Gilded Age here in America

C.T.HOLKO88
Mad Poster
#1811 Old 13th Jun 2021 at 3:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TudorMan23
My grand Colonial manor is ready to upload!

Wow! That is huge - very "Grand"! How 'bout calling it: Grand Colonial Manor (...it certainly fits the bill!)
The symmetry is very well done

and Vintage Stuffeths
Forum Resident
#1812 Old 13th Jun 2021 at 3:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CatherineTCJD
Wow! That is huge - very "Grand"! How 'bout calling it: Grand Colonial Manor (...it certainly fits the bill!)
The symmetry is very well done

Thanks! I am really proud of how it turned out! And This needs a proper name built by a prominent family

C.T.HOLKO88
Instructor
#1813 Old 13th Jun 2021 at 4:20 PM
@TudorMan23 The symmetry with the porte cochere is excellent. I love the the shape of that pool as well. Somethings weird about the third story balcony. Looks like it might need a ceiling, 'cause it seems the cornice/roof is a bit floating above the columns.
Forum Resident
#1814 Old 13th Jun 2021 at 6:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by cutsocks
@TudorMan23 The symmetry with the porte cochere is excellent. I love the the shape of that pool as well. Somethings weird about the third story balcony. Looks like it might need a ceiling, 'cause it seems the cornice/roof is a bit floating above the columns.

oh yeah i see it now! Thanks !

C.T.HOLKO88
Theorist
#1815 Old 14th Jun 2021 at 10:08 AM Last edited by Victor_tor : 14th Jun 2021 at 10:50 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by TudorMan23
My grand Colonial manor is ready to upload! Anything I should change up a bit or perfect as is???
I just love how perfectly symmetrical it turned out!!!
Just need a name any suggestions?
might start a new collection with this one that the next era after The Gilded Age here in America

Maybe: The Gilded Age Regal Nest?
As for pictures: I don't see the most things on pictures. The pictures are small and I don't see many. Flooring is nice.

Just a few words 'bout European meaning of brutalism in council houses. The Barbican is good example. As you could see, no wavy patterns or something. All house was rised from the ground to make it look like citadel. Lack of decoration in total. Flower beds hanging. That's all.

Mad Poster
#1816 Old 15th Jun 2021 at 12:44 AM
I started a new "English Project" today... I googled a random town/street/house in England, and built what I found .
So far I have 2 sets of semi-detached houses (so 4 houses total) They are CC free.

What'd'ya think?
Screenshots

and Vintage Stuffeths
Theorist
#1817 Old 15th Jun 2021 at 9:35 AM
You are making houses as fast as cakes. Here is that what I think:
Brick vehicle paving would be better for both houses
Two white houses should have different main floor windows.
Different roof colors for white pair aren't that bad. Guess that was made on purpouse. But you see, that houses has one roof color, don't you?
Watermelonsandal made great buildset with black beams and lintels that would look exactly like second house. Not to mention that she's from Great Britain

Mad Poster
#1818 Old 15th Jun 2021 at 2:53 PM
Here is that what I think: Brick vehicle paving would be better for both houses
Two white houses should have different main floor windows...
Watermelonsandal ... she's from Great Britain

Pretty sure Watermelonsandal is a dude AND, I'm sticking to CC Free (I hope) - if I were to use CC walls, I'd make my own (or use my Wallpaper Overlays)
As for the white pair - yes, I plan on changing the roof... They are different tiles in RL, and almost the same color. I thought more contrast might be better, but after seeing them side-by-side, I'm going to change it. I wish the in-game terracotta tiles weren't so ORANGE
Also, the RL houses have the same upstairs windows. I hate the stupid blue mullions with this set - but, CC-Free. *sigh* I think I am going to make the left house have all the same windows - and keep the right house as is. That might be enough of a downstairs difference? I wanted to use the 'Jock' windows - but they don't come in white. *GRRRRR*
Thanks for thinkin' with me Vic

and Vintage Stuffeths
Theorist
#1819 Old 15th Jun 2021 at 5:05 PM
Actually the use of greenhouse walls could be an interesting twist for the first floor. I know it is not weather proof and full height. But those could be a veranda with a place to chill. Or even barbecue! Such walls will border a room that literally outdoors so babecue will not caught there by fire and work fine in those zone with no any mods.
I never asked if Watermalonsandal is a guy. There was no any reason for me to interrupt him with such q weird question. He is very sweet.

Theorist
#1820 Old 16th Jun 2021 at 2:46 AM
Actually the use of greenhouse walls could be an interesting twist for the first floor. I know it is not weather proof and full height.

Maxis TS2 greenhouse walls are not weatherproof or full height? Are you sure? I've never noticed or tested this.

cutsocks, that government building a few posts uptopic looks stunning.
Theorist
#1821 Old 16th Jun 2021 at 8:27 AM Last edited by Victor_tor : 16th Jun 2021 at 10:01 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by ScaryRob
Maxis TS2 greenhouse walls are not weatherproof or full height? Are you sure? I've never noticed or tested this.

I meant that sims are wearing outwear in boxes sorrunded by greenhouse wall. Once I replaced those walls with regular they start to dress in casual. I don't know actual cause of this in my Sims 2 if there's not the weather.
Quote: Originally posted by ScaryRob
cutsocks, that government building a few posts uptopic looks stunning.

I found it would be great for Into the Future city after the words you said.

Forum Resident
#1822 Old 20th Jun 2021 at 3:32 AM
I started this one a while ago! Sometime last year during Halloween! I wanted this to look like an old haunted Gothic Revival Victorian! I think I accomplished that! May need some tweaking though but loving it so far!

C.T.HOLKO88
Theorist
#1823 Old 20th Jun 2021 at 4:08 PM
Great shell, TudorMan
Regards Vic

Mad Poster
#1824 Old 22nd Jun 2021 at 2:42 PM
I built this...
But now I'm not sure what to do with it? Is it a tourist/museum type place? A hotel/living museum/dude ranch type place? Or a single family estate?

It is CC Free; and the cemetery has no graves ...yet. *shrug*
Any ideas?
Screenshots

and Vintage Stuffeths
Theorist
#1825 Old 22nd Jun 2021 at 3:27 PM
Cat, I think you could share it as different types. However. For my opinion. Hotel needs a place to eat. Same for dorms. Residential would rather has less outdoor space. I don't see any reason to inhabit it with sims. I prefer this as community. Community type gives you a great variety of use in Sims 2. That's not Sims 3 or 4 where you need to choose from great list of lot types. At least that could work as cemetery. But also could be a museum, a big park, a fishing spot, a wedding venue, an archer's field, maybe place for log trials or "military ground".
I reall y suggest you to rise the ground and place manor on the hill top. That would look really nice there. I see it is far enough from lot borderline and you has enough space for ground slope.

Page 73 of 98