Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Feb 2015 at 4:20 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Showtime
Default ContentPatch.package questions
Usually I don't really care about this one, since ContentPatch.package is relatively small, only several MBs in size.

However, I now wonder...

1. Should I backup this file, or just let Launcher re-download it everytime I do a "hard reset"?
  2. The contents of the .package file seems to include contents I don't have installed. Is this correct? Or does it actually 'tracks' the store items I have installed?
  3. If the answer to the above question is "correct": Since we likely won't have new contents for TS3 from the Store, if I backup the very latest ContentPatch.package and restore it during the next "hard reset" into ContentPatch\Download it won't redownload it again, am I right?
  4. I was curious, so I opened it using s3pe. I see many ITUN resources within. If it conflicts with a user-created ITUN package, which ITUN will win?
    (Not necessarily ITUN, actually. This question also applies to any resource conflict between ContentPatch and mods)

Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody. And I'm trying to make something wonderful for The Sims 3.
Advertisement
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#3 Old 6th Feb 2015 at 2:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by pepoluan
(...)
[*]Should I backup this file, or just let Launcher re-download it everytime I do a "hard reset"?
I usually just move it from an old user folder to a new one. No problems seen so far.

Quote:
[*]The contents of the .package file seems to include contents I don't have installed. Is this correct? Or does it actually 'tracks' the store items I have installed?
Correct. It contains changes to all Store stuff up to a certain date, and I think to even have seen files that refer to Store stuff that was released after the last Store patch.

Quote:
[*]If the answer to the above question is "correct": Since we likely won't have new contents for TS3 from the Store, if I backup the very latest ContentPatch.package and restore it during the next "hard reset" into ContentPatch\Download it won't redownload it again, am I right?
Yes, I won't be prompted to download the patches when I manually add the ContentPatch folder.

Quote:
[*]I was curious, so I opened it using s3pe. I see many ITUN resources within. If it conflicts with a user-created ITUN package, which ITUN will win?
(Not necessarily ITUN, actually. This question also applies to any resource conflict between ContentPatch and mods)
My guess is that the file in Mods/Packages will win. What is more interesting for me, however, is the question which file outside the Mods folder wins. Several ITUN and other files are present in both ContentPatch, ccmerged AND the core files (most of the Store items, especially premium content have their xmls and ITUN files in the core).
But in any case, from my experience of converting most Store stuff to .package files I can definitely say that once the Store items are in Mods/Packages any changes that were made via ContentPatch will not apply to these .packages anymore. So that's why I assume that anything in Mods/Packages will override the ContentPatch folder contents.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 6th Feb 2015 at 4:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Don_Babilon
I usually just move it from an old user folder to a new one. No problems seen so far.

Correct. It contains changes to all Store stuff up to a certain date, and I think to even have seen files that refer to Store stuff that was released after the last Store patch.

Yes, I won't be prompted to download the patches when I manually add the ContentPatch folder.

My guess is that the file in Mods/Packages will win. What is more interesting for me, however, is the question which file outside the Mods folder wins. Several ITUN and other files are present in both ContentPatch, ccmerged AND the core files (most of the Store items, especially premium content have their xmls and ITUN files in the core).
But in any case, from my experience of converting most Store stuff to .package files I can definitely say that once the Store items are in Mods/Packages any changes that were made via ContentPatch will not apply to these .packages anymore. So that's why I assume that anything in Mods/Packages will override the ContentPatch folder contents.

Thanks for the clarification!

As to which file wins outside of Mods... I think the priority order would be ContentPatch > ccmerged > core. ContentPatch after all is a patch, so it has to have the highest priority to properly patch objects. ccmerged seems to be "overlaid" on top of core items.

Again just a guess... although I'm *severely* tempted to experiment by injecting an easily-visible ITUN resource (with different values) into all of them and see which one wins

Finally, if anything in Mods/Packages override ContentPatch, since ContentPatch is a .package file anyhoo, moving that file into Mods/Overrides will override the overriding package in Mods/Packages, right?

Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody. And I'm trying to make something wonderful for The Sims 3.