Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Correlated Skins *5 Year Creator Anniversary*

by Phaenoh Posted 19th Jul 2012 at 4:58 PM - Updated 12th Dec 2017 at 5:31 PM by Phaenoh

259 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 182 Feedback Posts, 76 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 3 of 11
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#51 Old 20th Jul 2012 at 2:07 PM
Phaenoh, the amount of hard work and creativity you must have put into this mind-boggling. I would not have even thought this possible yesterday. Congrats on all your accomplishments. You just keep continuing to amaze me. Thank you so much!
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#52 Old 20th Jul 2012 at 4:07 PM
Okay, quick question.....

How do you link 16 different baby outfits to 16 different skintones? Do you have to put them each in an individual folder with the mesh and 1 recolor?? I've been using one of yellow baby jumpers in my game for some time, but am very interested in assigning different color of clothes to different skintones.
Doing all the things, and *mostly* not failing.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#53 Old 20th Jul 2012 at 4:10 PM Last edited by Phaenoh : 6th Mar 2013 at 1:57 AM.
Oh wow, so many comments and questions and problems to wake up to! Thanks for you comments everyone!

Quote: Originally posted by silverleaf79
For some reason this isn't working properly for me though. I downloaded all 5 files, plus the infants skins. Can anyone maybe suggest what I'm doing wrong?

That right there is your answer. You can't use the TextRef file and the BodyHair files. They overlap and will cause bad things to happen. The infant skins and the BodyHair skins do not overlap and are fine to use together.

Quote: Originally posted by TheSilverLining
In your little table of how you want your own skins you have some combos being freckled and one with vitiligio, but I can't see anything like that in the pictures. So I assume the skins in this package are just plain? Or are my eyes deceiving me?

I think I might try making some of Genensims' skins into a correlated set, for my furry hood. It would be really awesome for that I think, 'cos then you can sort of make hair color match fur color so that. I'm a little confused about how inheriting hair works though. If two Sims with, let's say, S3 skins but different haircolors have a kid, will the kid then have the skintone of whichever parent it inherits haircolor from? What if the parents have different skintones and different haircolor? Could a kid inherit the skintone/set from one parent, and then have the hair as inherited from the other parent determine which version of that skin they'd get? 'Cos then one could, for instance, have a red/orange tabby with red hair and a brunette with brown fur produce a brunette brown tabby offspring by making the orange and brown tabby furs subsets of the same skintone. That'd be fun!

Yes, my table and how I want things for my game are not in the upload, its just a suggestion for how things could turn out when more skins become correlated. The files I've provided are plain old maxis skins with some hair on them. As for the furry skins, he will show what he genetically inherits. If you have an S1tabby with red hair and an S2brown cat with brown hair, then you could have a S1tabby with brown hair, you will just need to make all the skins for all the combinations (16).

Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Just something I noticed while testing the skins. What i noticed, is that the S1 blonde skin seems to take its body skintone from the S1 brown skin (seems so, anyway - the outfit I painted on was pink, the one to the left, not the sheep outfit).

Would be great to be able to use these together
Or maybe even have different hairstyles and skins for girl/boy, or for the different hair colors? I know CH made separate skins for boys and girls, too. They were custom skins, however.
Quote:
I figured out the hairs has to load AFTER the skins to work properly, so if anyone wants to try, just ad "ZZ" to the front of the baby hair file. Should work then The S1 skin texture is still the wrong one, though...

I looked at the file you gave me and it looks like they are doing it the same way I am, but their Instance lines and mine won't match up for any except the main default one. I really don't see why you'd want to use both that one and mine at the same time, they do the exact same thing. The benefit to mine is that you can create entire skins sets like this, not just the infant hairs, with my template.

Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
I tested this also with the curly genetic baby hair. I pulled out every black hair baby skin file assuming the baby would get maxis Sk 4 like both his parents. I used the simbin couple Ramaswami to make sure it was maxis skin. The baby was born with sk 2 skin on his body while his scalp was sk 4 with the black curly genetic hair.

Still can't really speak about the other genetic baby hairs, but that looks like it doesn't use a mesh replacement. You could just get the curly hair texture and paint new ones over my infant files, and I promise everything will work correctly. You could even upload it when you are done! Please make sure you keep a full set of 16 in your game at all times, half sets cause weird things to happen. (It's the brown files that are key!)

Quote: Originally posted by Ariadna
I wonder why there are no elder files? Do elders just use adult skins?
I am super exited about CorrelatedSkins! Still need to do another 14 skins to test them

There are elders! Elders share hairtones between the skins and I just didn't remember to picture them. They all have white hair and they are included in the Brown packages (brown is the color that was the original default skins). If you've only done two, then I'm guessing you've done a black and a blonde. You'll see the elders in the next one. Congrats on being one of the first people to give this a go! Let us know how it works for you.

Quote: Originally posted by neonhorn22
Okay, quick question..... How do you link 16 different baby outfits to 16 different skintones? Do you have to put them each in an individual folder with the mesh and 1 recolor?? I've been using one of yellow baby jumpers in my game for some time, but am very interested in assigning different color of clothes to different skintones.

If you are using a mesh replacement of the diaper, then you are out of luck for right now. I don't have that 'correlated diaper' I mentioned earlier working yet. I'd recommend looking into getting the boy/girl version of that. It works well. If you are painting clothes right onto the baby's body skin, then you just need to do that on each different skin/hair combo.
Test Subject
#54 Old 20th Jul 2012 at 4:26 PM
Oh, wow Phaenoh, this is simply amazing! I mean Wow! I can't wait to try these.

...Now I have a question of a different sort.

This isn't a big deal or anything, but earlier this week I extracted the XML files of all the basegame skins and eyes.

I detownified all the human skins and eyes, and townified the alien skin and eyes, so my one hood would only have alien NPC's. I tried submitting it, and am waiting to see if it will be approved or not...

This probably isn't compatible is it?
retired moderator
Original Poster
#55 Old 20th Jul 2012 at 5:01 PM
Nope, sorry Rava, the brown color for each skintone will be fine, but you'll need to extract the XML files from the other 12 files to make it work. Sorry about that!
Mad Poster
#56 Old 20th Jul 2012 at 5:21 PM
Another question about inheritance: I've been using TheSilverLining's hair inheritance mods to set all hair colors to be equally recessive. Is that compatible with this set or not?

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Instructor
THANKS POST
#57 Old 20th Jul 2012 at 5:25 PM
WOW! Phaenoh, this is amazing *kisses your feet*
I've got one question though (it's a little noobish) - I have another set of defaults in my game. Must I delete them before downloading the infant hair skins? (sorry if this has been asked before)
Test Subject
#58 Old 20th Jul 2012 at 5:31 PM Last edited by Rava : 20th Jul 2012 at 5:49 PM.
@Phaenoh

EDIT:

Thanks for your quick reply. I took a look at your XML files. Your flags are already set to 8, which (by my knowledge) means that they wont appear on townies.

I think that your skins are far more complex, than my meager understanding...

Probably the easiest solution would be to generate the aliens, then take my files out, and put yours in?

If I understand what you wrote correctly, once I put your skins in, they would have correct body hair anyways?
retired moderator
Original Poster
#59 Old 20th Jul 2012 at 6:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sunbee
Another question about inheritance: I've been using TheSilverLining's hair inheritance mods to set all hair colors to be equally recessive. Is that compatible with this set or not?

Yes, I didn't touch the hair genetics.

Quote: Originally posted by ella_in_wonderland
WOW! Phaenoh, this is amazing *kisses your feet*
I've got one question though (it's a little noobish) - I have another set of defaults in my game. Must I delete them before downloading the infant hair skins? (sorry if this has been asked before)

Nope, you can keep using your other defaults. If they have an infant body texture that is different than the maxis ones you might get interesting results, in that case, delete the infant body from your main default set. The hair will work no matter what, but the body and the face might do interesting things if they don't match.

Quote: Originally posted by Rava
I took a look at your XML files. Your flags are already set to 8, which (by my knowledge) means that they wont appear on townies. If I understand what you wrote correctly, once I put your skins in, they would have correct body hair anyways?

Frack, I forgot to test on newly generated townies, but it works on old townies and newly generated babies, so I think it will still work on new townies. I'm not entirely sure that my XML files are actually doing anything. Yes, old townies will update to have my new skins.
Mad Poster
#60 Old 20th Jul 2012 at 7:41 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 20th Jul 2012 at 8:16 PM.
I changed the baby skins to match my default set (which I might update to 16 once I've found some other skins I can use). Currently I think to use them for painted-on baby outfits (or I can use them as onesies or diapers under the regular outifit once I've sorted out a mesh thing...), and for the genetic hair potential when I don't feel like using the separate genetic hairs.

Quote: Originally posted by Phaenoh
I looked at the file you gave me and it looks like they are doing it the same way I am, but their Instance lines and mine won't match up for any except the main default one. I really don't see why you'd want to use both that one and mine at the same time, they do the exact same thing. The benefit to mine is that you can create entire skins sets like this, not just the infant hairs, with my template.

Still can't really speak about the other genetic baby hairs, but that looks like it doesn't use a mesh replacement. You could just get the curly hair texture and paint new ones over my infant files, and I promise everything will work correctly. You could even upload it when you are done! Please make sure you keep a full set of 16 in your game at all times, half sets cause weird things to happen. (It's the brown files that are key!)

I see the likeness, but I also see a few differences. First of all, the hairs work with any default skins (including these, as long as it is loaded last), so you wouldn't have to change the skin files every time yu want to change the baby hair. Second, the hairs for the genetic hairs are meshed, so there are some more options in hair styles (there's a thick curly hair and a straight hair - both converted from toddler hairs by Bloom at Insim. I did a close crop curl recolor of the curly hair, and made a flat mesh for the whispy hair and for 'newly grown' hair that is 'scalp-tight', and a pointy style from uni which has a few bugs yet).

It uses a mesh replacement, with a scalp part and a hair part in the GMDC resource, plus it includes bows in the hair for girls, which I think is really cute. It's actual meshed hair and not painted (Those hairs won't look good painted on the skins - believe me, I've tried that!). He linked them strangely however, so there's no way to properly use a different hair style for each hair color or different styles for the genders (such as curly for girls and pointy for boys), which bugs me a little...

I like to have both the meshed baby hair and the opportunity to have different skintones, which might even be practical for baby clothing together with a mesh and invisible texture. I'm glad they work together. Also, I do see some other opportunities in this... I need to familiarize myself a little better with SimPE first, though...

By the way, Chris Hatch found a way to put baby outfits directly into the character files, so they can use different outfits (one per baby, but still...). Perhaps there are ideas to borrow from that?
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#61 Old 20th Jul 2012 at 9:56 PM
This is really neat.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#62 Old 20th Jul 2012 at 11:01 PM
Quote:

It does use a mesh as Simmer22 said. I didn't realize I had to keep all 16 files in and thought I could just pull out what I didn't want such as the back haired baby files. That is probably why the baby was born looking like that then.

Thank you for all your hard work on this.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
#63 Old 21st Jul 2012 at 1:41 AM
That right there is your answer. You can't use the TextRef file and the BodyHair files. They overlap and will cause bad things to happen. The infant skins and the BodyHair skins do not overlap and are fine to use together.

Thanks Phae, but now I'm confused. I originally downloaded the bodyhair files and infant skins and didn't see any changes at all, so I figured I'd try getting the textref files as well. As I said before, this caused weirdness.

So I went in and deleted everything, redownloaded the bodyhair files, and I'm still having problems.

Female skins: I'm seeing no change from the "normal" skins, so for example, S3 looks exactly the same whatever hair the sim has.

Male skins: Any with brown hair look like "normal". Black, blonde and red have lighter body and "normal" head and look identical to each other, so blonde S4 and black S4 have exactly the same skin.

Some kind of conflict somewhere I guess... *shrug*
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#64 Old 21st Jul 2012 at 2:33 AM
Congratulations!!!! Yay! Babies have hair! I can't wait to play with this. I have so many lovely default skins I like to use. Congratulations on your 5th anniversary!
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#65 Old 21st Jul 2012 at 3:22 AM
@Silverleaf, The way I understand it is sims will look identical to the Maxis ones until another creator makes another set that differs from the Maxis skins. The only immediate difference is that men should have body hair that is the same color as their hair and babies should have hair which is also the correct color they'll grow up.
Test Subject
#66 Old 21st Jul 2012 at 3:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by neonhorn22
@Silverleaf, The way I understand it is sims will look identical to the Maxis ones until another creator makes another set that differs from the Maxis skins. The only immediate difference is that men should have body hair that is the same color as their hair and babies should have hair which is also the correct color they'll grow up.

Ah, that makes sense now, thanks! I was expecting to see 16 different skins straight away - that's what happens when I'm excited and sleep-deprived, I completely fail to "get it". Oops. And now I feel like an idiot. Oh well, I guess making mistakes is a good way to learn, right?

I'm assuming that the weird different-coloured head thing is because I'm using some HP default skins, and the hairy skins here don't match them since they're all Maxis-y. Thank goodness, I thought I'd messed something up.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#67 Old 21st Jul 2012 at 4:49 AM
wait, so this isnt a default replacement set?
Lab Assistant
#68 Old 21st Jul 2012 at 6:53 AM
I'm going to sound silly here, but these don't seem to work as I understand them to. I downloaded the 4 hair colour sets and placed in my downloads folder. I did not take the TextRef file or the infant stuff. I took out my other default skins. The skins with body hair do show up, but S4 looks the same whether on a blond, redhead, brunette, or black haired character. The same is true for S1, S2, and S3. Is what you have for download in the 4 files not the same as the chart (ie. Blond gives Nordic, caucasian, caucasian, and aborginal)?

Secondly, if I put my Leh default skintones back in and download the TextRef files, the overview says it will pull from those. Won't that just be identical for each hair colour since I only have 4 defaults?

My ultimate goal is to avoid S4 blondes and redheads looking so silly. I'd like to have S4 present lighter on lighter haired sims.
Lab Assistant
#69 Old 21st Jul 2012 at 7:01 AM
The supernaturals that use overlays instead of actual skins and different skin meshes are a bit trickier and I haven't gotten them worked out yet. For now your vampires, servos, genies, and witches won't be included. After I get all the other ones done I'll come back and look at them again. Vamps and witches are my favorites!

Only aliens and mannequins function as genetic skintones. Zombies, vampires, werewolves, plantsims, and witches are overlays, servos are a hair and an outfit on an otherwise invisible Sim, and Bigfoot and Genies are not only an outfit and a hair, but a makeup as well.
Instructor
THANKS POST
#70 Old 21st Jul 2012 at 7:43 AM
This sounds really amazing and I'll sure sink in it because I'm probably the only one that will never be "upgrading" from TS2, just because I can't.
I'm truly hoping that this will solve the problem of parents with straight hair having kids that look like one of them is very absent-minded. EA created a system that makes my bald sims change to winter long hair or maternity absurd unlikely hair. I identify my sims by their hair and clothes and I'm a null in fashion. So it will be really awesome if things come from birth. Thanks.
Instructor
THANKS POST
#71 Old 21st Jul 2012 at 8:25 AM
Just woke up and I'm still blinking at my screen, but this sounds like something I'd really want. Gonna read it all after I've had some coffee.
Instructor
#72 Old 21st Jul 2012 at 10:54 AM
Although I think this is a neat mod, it still troubles me that you call it "Eugenic" since it has so much negative implications. There's been so many people hurt in one way or another within its use so I don't understand why you would choose a word like that. You say you want to reclaim it but the way as I see it, it's really no way to do that since the science behind it is creepy as well. The line "improving the genetic composition of a population" scares the hell out of me and I fail to see anything positive with that even if you ignore everything that happened after WW2.
And on another note, being Nordic, I hate being used in a stereotypical view on how we look! My dad is very pale but my mom is very, very dark and I'm a mixture of them both and guess what, they're both Nordic.
Test Subject
#73 Old 21st Jul 2012 at 2:50 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonhorn22

Ah, that makes sense now, thanks! I was expecting to see 16 different skins straight away - that's what happens when I'm excited and sleep-deprived, I completely fail to "get it". Oops. And now I feel like an idiot. Oh well, I guess making mistakes is a good way to learn, right?

Don't feel like an idiot....I wasn't "getting it" right away either. I needed to read all the comments before I completely understood. And now that I do, I'm off to download. Thanks Phaenoh!
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#74 Old 21st Jul 2012 at 3:32 PM
@silverleaf--Yes, don't feel like an idiot! It does require a lot of re-reading to get a good understanding and I was confused at first, too, and had questions! I'm just glad I could help shed some light on things!!

@hweldon--Her chart that you reference is just an idea. It's not what the current DL will give you, it's a guildeline you can adhere to once more creators make skins and she makes her own skins. This is just my understanding, though. Once more creators start making sets that follow her guildelines, you can basically "mix and match" so that eventually all of your s4's will have either some shade of black or brown if you want (just as long as you have 16 files in the folder). For right now, it's just taken the 4 Maxis skintones and linked them to the 4 different colors of hair, giving us 16 genetic makeups....but all Maxis. So, until another creator comes along and gives another defaults, your s4 will still have blonde hair. These are just Maxis templates, to the best of my knowledge.

Her chart is an example of what you can aspire to once more sets are made. An idea; a reference point; an example of what is possible when more skins become available.

I think you can make those Leh skins compatible?? But, I think you have to DL that textref file and do it on your own??? Goodness, I could be completely wrong on that, though. I can only speak for the ones she has for DL.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#75 Old 21st Jul 2012 at 4:12 PM Last edited by Phaenoh : 6th Mar 2013 at 1:57 AM.
Always waking up to a thousand comments. Let's see if I can answer them all before breakfast...

zapotec and Alma70, I hear you and I was aware that this would bother some people. I struggled for a long time to come up with a name for it. I can't call them defaults, or geneticized, because we are already using those words. For the longest time they were just called HairColorBased, but that ended up making the name of the package so long that WinRAR had trouble with it. I needed a short word that meant that the skins and the hair color were linked. Feel free to download it or not. If you do, feel free to rename them to something else in your game. I am sorry for the discomfort.

Simmer22, let's take this discussion over to my tutorial thread and we can talk about all the opportunities that excite you, I think I can help with some of them.

Silverleaf, the only difference you will see is that men have bodyhair that should match their hair color. I did nothing to the females or kids. Yes, the weird hair thing would be due to your other defaults. HP's colors don't match maxis. You can either take out her defaults, or work on making a set of her skins with the hair overlays and my template. Please share if you do!

HylianWolf, this is like a default set times 4. It's more of a game mod than an actual skintone set. Other creators will use my template to create new skins that will be awesome-tastic.

hweldon81, is the bodyhair the same color on all of them? If it is, that's a problem. If it matches the hair color, that's all the change you are looking for right now. Right now you don't get the skins on my chart. That's just a suggestion for how to build sets once we have more of these skins available. Right now, it's all just maxis. Look at the picture, MTS is very much 'what you see is what you get'. If you put your defaults in and you use the TextRef files, yes, they will be identical. That file becomes useful when we start getting new skins trickling in. Creators don't need to make entire sets of 16. Someone might just make a lighter S4blonde (maybe you?) and upload that. You could use 15 TextRefs and that one new S4blonde file and you'd be good to go (or use my 15 bodyhair ones, whatever).

Almighty Hat, thank you! Damns. That would explain why I'm having no luck getting the zombies to work. Well, I still might stand a shot at getting the Servos to work, along with a 'correlated diaper'. I think I can make clothing work this way. I'll keep trying with the overlays, but its nice to know why it's failing all the time.

xptl297, this has nothing to do with hairstyles, though I'm thinking it might be possible to limit some hairstyles to a single skintone. This might be helpful for hairs like Nouk's. She generally creates a light family and a dark family, and we could make the light hairs show up for S1 and S2, and the darks for S3 and S4. Still a theory though.

Alma again, I'm sorry about using Nordic as a stereotype. I was recently in Denmark and saw the Chanel exhibit on Nordic women, and you are right, there are a lot of really pretty, dark haired ladies up there. I'm not saying that S1blonde is the only place for Nordic people, but more from the other way around, only Nordic people are that fair and have that blonde of hair. My table is merely a suggestion, so far no one is following it (even me!)

neohorn22, to make a skin, please use the Template file. The TextRef file contains no images and it will be very confusing to put back together. That's exactly what I made the template for!

Thanks for your comments everyone! I'm glad there is interest in this project. XD
Page 3 of 11