Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Correlated Skins *5 Year Creator Anniversary*

by Phaenoh Posted 19th Jul 2012 at 4:58 PM - Updated 12th Dec 2017 at 5:31 PM by Phaenoh

259 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 182 Feedback Posts, 76 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 4 of 11
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#76 Old 21st Jul 2012 at 4:24 PM
Oh, I didn't want to make a skin. Someone else did. I was trying to help them figure out why their Leh defaults weren't working. ;-)
Mad Poster
#77 Old 21st Jul 2012 at 4:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by silverleaf79
I'm assuming that the weird different-coloured head thing is because I'm using some HP default skins, and the hairy skins here don't match them since they're all Maxis-y. Thank goodness, I thought I'd messed something up.

Silverleaf, thanks to HP's generous terms of use, I'm working on making the Idolatry of Flesh Redux set into these for my own game. I can't promise they'll suit anyone else, but I'll try to upload them here when I'm done. Maybe save you some time. I've finished the four for black hair using Illusion, Innuendo, Intuition, and Adoration. It'll probably take me another week to finish clicking things and testing them for the other three hair colors (it's not that slow a process, but it's 4-H busy season), but taking pictures and making something that looks good enough to upload out of it? Who knows?

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Test Subject
#78 Old 21st Jul 2012 at 5:09 PM
Forgot to mention...

HAPPY 5th ANNIVERSARY PHAENOH!!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#79 Old 21st Jul 2012 at 6:24 PM
This is a truly remarkable creation; the very idea generally baffles me! I think I'll be leaving the many skintones alone for a bit... but thank you for the baby hair download! I hate having to zoom in the see the colour of their eyebrows... many thanks!
Mad Poster
#80 Old 21st Jul 2012 at 6:47 PM
Did you see my comment about the S1 blonde skintone? It seems to take the skintone from the S1 brown skintone. I just wondered if you might check it.

http://i49.tinypic.com/5z04z4.jpg
The green arrow is S1 blonde, and the orange arrow to the right is the brown S1 skin. The outfit I put on the S1 skin was really the pink texture to the left (I checked the file twice).
Doing all the things, and *mostly* not failing.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#81 Old 21st Jul 2012 at 6:59 PM
I thought I did look at it, but I'll look again.

Turns out, I fixed that mistake in the Template files but not in the buHair file. It should be fixed now.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#82 Old 21st Jul 2012 at 7:25 PM
Do we need to re-download the baby hair files then?
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#83 Old 22nd Jul 2012 at 2:57 AM
okay i get it now, they belong in the downloads folder. i was thinking these would be in the defaults folder. the confusion is now over. these are a great set. ive been testing these in body shop and they're great!! very good job, this is indeed why i love TS2 over TS3, because awesome people like you make really cool stuff every day! now if only the Kingdom Hearts section would get some love...still waiting on promised items from Wicked_Sims...
retired moderator
Original Poster
#84 Old 22nd Jul 2012 at 5:54 AM
neohorn, you can fix your files yourself. You need to open up the S1blonde file and change the texture name from bodynaked to bubodynaked. Hit Fix TGI, commit, and save. Or, redownload it.
Instructor
THANKS POST
#85 Old 22nd Jul 2012 at 9:57 AM
Hi, I took a look on your files in SimPE because I understand things better if I can see them technically. Yes, it has nothing to do with hair style but I was caught by the same word Eugenics and though that it dealt on a mod to improve the way the game makes genetic decisions. Sorry.
Yes it is maybe possible but it is a lot of work and maybe also some extra modifications in the xml files that I don't know if it works. The hair files don't have information enough to link to an specific skin. In fact it would be more useful if they had an item to exclude a skin instead of include. So we could decide which skin should NOT use a hair color. My problem is only with S4 skins and no matter how you change the texture it doesn't fit most red or blond textures.
People that use a lot of extra custom skins will have very much use for your work. But maybe there are also people like me that use only the 4 originally supplied skins with own replacement. It is said that we should use the Full Set to make it work but I have only problems with one of them. Because the game always create S4 sims with blond or red hair and blue eyes (at least in my game) I ended up stopping completely the function and now my game Cannot create any sim that doesn't have 2 parents available, this means I'm the only one that can create new sims, all the others Must be born in game. But it is my game and no one is forced to create things for me, so I must do it self.
Another implementation that could help with hairstyles is if it was possible to include a new family classification that would determine if it is a straight hair or curly with the same type of dominance as nude skin or eyes.
It is not even a case of eugenia but ethnics, there are some hair and eye color that are specific to a group and would not occur unless by some sort of genetic defect. So I still think that a xml item to exclude an occurrence would be very useful. The problem is only How to achieve it.
To link hair colors would require templates to everyone's free use because no one knows which hair styles every single player has. So, a lot of work.
I tried before to simply activate the link in the general skin and hairs, the game ignore it. So it has probably to be linked on each hair style.
Gone Fishin'
retired moderator
#86 Old 22nd Jul 2012 at 11:31 AM
Re the natural version, is it already up at SexySims (you're talking about MTS' sister site, right?), or is it still in the queue? Because I can't find it over there for the life of me; I've checked both the TS2 and the TS3 sections just in case the sorting isn't working properly (and I'm viewing all downloads, not just skintones), but no luck. And I'd really like to have that version, since I'm well over 18. Any idea where I should look?
Space Pony
#87 Old 22nd Jul 2012 at 3:24 PM
Well, this looks amazing, but I'm not the brightest bulb in the box, so if you could just bear with me a moment...^^; Does this add twelve more skins to the game, or do I have to insert those by fiddling with SimPE? Is the TextRef file what I download if I don't want body hair? If I download the infant hairs, do I put them into the file in SimPE, or do they go in automatically because they're part of the same mod...thing? What happens when other creators make eugenic skins, and how would they go about doing that (would it be partially a mod of some sort)? I'm sorry, I swear I read the download description, I'm just so easily confused by anything more complicated than "unzip and put in downloads folder". >.<;
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#88 Old 22nd Jul 2012 at 3:41 PM
All hail Phaenoh! Thanks for this, so glad my baby Sims will no longer be bald! *bows down to Phaenoh and her awesomeness*
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#89 Old 22nd Jul 2012 at 4:15 PM
This is very impressive! Well done Phaenoh! And happy 5th Anniversary!

I'm on a new puter, and don't have the DDS utilities, and their website has taken them down. So until they put them back I'm kinda out of luck on making my skintones work with your fabulous mod!

I do have a question though...once someone has changed their skintone to be compliant with your mod, will this mean that the original skintone will be affected? Will I then have two of the same skintones in my game?
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#90 Old 22nd Jul 2012 at 4:32 PM
Wow I totally can't wait to try this in game! Thanks Phaenoh! :D
Test Subject
#91 Old 22nd Jul 2012 at 4:49 PM
So I finished my first set and tested it in game. Then I aged a s4black Sim and he picked skin from s4brown-package??? Another test sim lost all of her freckles by aging. So I guess all elder sims pick skins from brown hair package, right? Is there a way to fix this?
In other news: they seem to change the skin on their heads if I change the colour (bin) of eyebrows. Tested on 3 sims.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#92 Old 22nd Jul 2012 at 5:07 PM Last edited by Phaenoh : 6th Mar 2013 at 1:59 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by NixNivis
Re the natural version, is it already up at SexySims (you're talking about MTS' sister site, right?), or is it still in the queue? Because I can't find it over there for the life of me; I've checked both the TS2 and the TS3 sections just in case the sorting isn't working properly (and I'm viewing all downloads, not just skintones), but no luck. And I'd really like to have that version, since I'm well over 18. Any idea where I should look?

You caught me, I haven't finished getting the pictures taken, so it's not even in the queue yet. It will be up and I'll let everyone know when that happens. Sorry about it!

Quote: Originally posted by Kestin
Does this add twelve more skins to the game, or do I have to insert those by fiddling with SimPE? Is the TextRef file what I download if I don't want body hair? If I download the infant hairs, do I put them into the file in SimPE, or do they go in automatically because they're part of the same mod...thing? What happens when other creators make correlated skins, and how would they go about doing that (would it be partially a mod of some sort)?

Just unzip and put the TextRef files in your downloads folder and wait for creators to create new skins. You won't really notice much change until they do if you don't want body hair. Put the infant hairs into your downloads folder. To create a correlated skin, just download my template and read my tutorial, its super easy.

Quote: Originally posted by puppetfish
I do have a question though...once someone has changed their skintone to be compliant with your mod, will this mean that the original skintone will be affected? Will I then have two of the same skintones in my game?

They won't 'change' it, they will have to move their texture files into my template. Their original skintone will remain unchanged. You will have 2 of them in your game unless you take their original one out.

Quote: Originally posted by Ariadna
So I finished my first set and tested it in game. Then I aged a s4black Sim and he picked skin from s4brown-package??? Another test sim lost all of her freckles by aging. So I guess all elder sims pick skins from brown hair package, right? Is there a way to fix this? In other news: they seem to change the skin on their heads if I change the colour (bin) of eyebrows. Tested on 3 sims.

I mentioned in the main post and the templates post that there is still only 1 skin for elders, they all share off the brown texture because elders can only have one hair color. I figured brown was the most neutral of all of them. This can't be changed. I'll have to take a look at the eyebrow thing, that's new. o.O

Thanks for you comments everyone!
Gone Fishin'
retired moderator THANKS POST
#93 Old 22nd Jul 2012 at 8:18 PM
Phew, for a while there, I thought I had gone completely crazy (instead of just a little around the edges). I'll just happily play with these ones in the meantime, then. Thanks!
Test Subject
#94 Old 23rd Jul 2012 at 6:13 PM
Sorry if this has already been addressed, but does this allow for biracial kids? Like for instance, I am playing Lilith Pleasant and Dirk Dreamer, if they have kids will it combine both their skin tones or just pick one or the other? In my game, Lilith did have twins and one had Lilith's skin tone and the other had Dirk's.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#95 Old 23rd Jul 2012 at 6:20 PM
gemmy, this doesn't change how the game decides which skintone to use, you just had a fluke. The game will uses both the parents skintones and any skintones in-between and then just picks one at random to decide one what skintone the baby will have. In my game (before I did this project), Lillith and Dirk had triplets, one with Dirk's skintone and the other two had the in-between shade.
Interstellar Traveler
THANKS POST
#96 Old 24th Jul 2012 at 1:12 AM
Awesome Phaenoh! Great work! And happy 5 year!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#97 Old 24th Jul 2012 at 5:36 PM
More silly questions for you, Phae.
1) If I want BOTH haircolor-connected skins, body hair and hair for babies, then can I just download all of them? Can I have TextRef and body hair in my Downloads folder at the same time? Sorry if you already answered.
2) What about sims getting tanned? Do all sims with S1 skins (for example) look exactly the same when tanned or can we see any difference?
Also, thanks for this upload and HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#98 Old 24th Jul 2012 at 7:51 PM
1) You can have both the body hair and the baby hair, but not either with the TextRef hair. You can't have overlapping ages, and the TextRef one contains all the ages.

2) No idea, my sims don't get tanned, they burn, just like me. Try it out and report back to us, will you?

Thanks to everyone who remembered this is a creator anniversary for me when they posted. It's helping even out the stress of providing support for something so big and so new.
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#99 Old 24th Jul 2012 at 9:17 PM
*Stands up & claps* Great job Pheanoh!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#100 Old 24th Jul 2012 at 9:42 PM
Happy 5th Anniversary! I'll be back to look at this when I'm not still recovering from a wedding and lots of travel stress.
Page 4 of 11