Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Excavation Site Hotfix

by Buzzler Posted 14th Jul 2010 at 11:42 PM - Updated 15th Mar 2014 at 11:00 AM by Buzzler

185 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 149 Feedback Posts, 35 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 2 of 8
1978 gallons of pancake batter
Original Poster
#26 Old 18th Jul 2010 at 12:28 PM
@Solisim: The tutorial BlueSoup linked to addresses the CC topic in great detail. I don't believe I can do it any better.

@BlueSoup: I'm pretty sure this mod cannot cause any inventory issues, because it simply doesn't come in touch with any inventory code.

@DarkAmaranth: Actually, this mod doesn't have any persistent data. Everytime it gets initialized, it's the same as the first time it got initialized. What you report gives me a vague idea of what might be happening, but unfortunately no starting point to investigate the matter. You might want to add twallan's ScriptError to your game and look out for any script errors related to this mod. If script errors occur, please upload the related XML files that get stored in Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3.

If gotcha is all you’ve got, then you’ve got nothing. - Paul Krugman
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#27 Old 18th Jul 2010 at 5:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BlueSoup
I had originally written that the Gold Figurines don't show in my inventory after digging them from the various excavation sites around Egypt, but then I went to the relic shop and they show in the list. I just had her analyze everything in her inventory, and sure enough, these are not analyzed. Very weird. I hope they show up when she gets home. :\

That's a glitch that's been around since I don't know when. From time to time it can happen that you dig out a new category of relic and yet it does not spawn in your inventory. It is usually recorded in your adventure diary but the object itself is missing. The only way I have found to avoid this is to have one sample of each relic category already in your inventory before you start digging because as soon as there is an instance of them present, newly dug up items will be added to the stack without any problem. It is quite annoying because it means that either you have to buy them in the shop or find them in a chest or on a pedestal before you can even think about excavating in the wilds. I've reported this on several occasions on other sites but this glitch seems too rare for others to confirm that it is indeed an issue.
Original Poster
#28 Old 18th Jul 2010 at 9:01 PM
@babele44: I did a little digging in the code to find something that might cause what you described. Unfortunately, the stuff that might be related (there's no smoking gun or anything) is deep down in the core in the basic inventory code. Things like that can only be altered by a core mod, but even then I'd consider it a bad idea to mess with something so basic. Beside the fact that I don't do core modding.

#29 Old 19th Jul 2010 at 8:26 AM
No problem. As I said, it's a nuisance that one can avoid by not digging unless one has a sample of every possible relic a site may yield already in one's inventory. And this glitch is not consistent either, sometimes it rears its head and sometimes it doesn't. There are worse things in this game to get upset about, like not being able to dig at all, but thanks to you that is fixed for now (at least I hope so, as I haven't sent Sims on vacation since then).
Original Poster
#30 Old 20th Jul 2010 at 5:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by babele44
And this glitch is not consistent either, sometimes it rears its head and sometimes it doesn't. There are worse things in this game to get upset about{...}
Well, from a coder's viewpoint it doesn't get much worse than inconsistent. Such things tend to be really hard to track down. There's a modder for TS2, tunaisafish, who made a lot of hacks to fix bugs most players never even noticed. Just because they annoyed him. Same goes for me. I'd at least like to understand why things go wrong; even if I don't have the means to fix them.

#31 Old 20th Jul 2010 at 9:11 AM
Funny, after I had finished what I wrote above I got the feeling that it was an essentially illogical statement I made and now I see that you're absolutely right, and not only from a coder's viewpoint.
Nevertheless there ARE worse things in this game and some of them aren't even considered to be bugs. But maybe I am just too old to be able to join in the general consensus that these so-called quips and quirks just add to the hilariousness of the game. With some of these "features" I cannot even get rid of the impression that they were ex-post implementations to camouflage some deeply hidden and severe problem in the very core.
Test Subject
#32 Old 20th Jul 2010 at 8:10 PM
Thanks so lot for fixing this bug from Germany.
Only think that worries a little is, that the option is no longer in German. Its englisch. But i won't complain about it. It works and that means you are better then EA
Original Poster
#33 Old 20th Jul 2010 at 8:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Tobelli
Only think that worries a little is, that the option is no longer in German. Its englisch.
And until now nobody felt the need to tell me stuff like that? If my pants were on fire, would you guys care to tell me at least that?

The interaction name is supposed to be localized; I stated that in the upload post. Try the latest version. I hope it's fixed now. Mind you, I'm flying blind here since my game is English.

#34 Old 21st Jul 2010 at 10:31 AM Last edited by babele44 : 21st Jul 2010 at 1:41 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Buzzler
And until now nobody felt the need to tell me stuff like that? If my pants were on fire, would you guys care to tell me at least that?

The interaction name is supposed to be localized; I stated that in the upload post. Try the latest version. I hope it's fixed now. Mind you, I'm flying blind here since my game is English.

Actually, I found this quite practical because those sites that still showed the localized menu were the ones that did not work even after the fix. I've discovered two so far in Egypt this way. I might stick to the old version, therefore, unless the newer one has more changes than just localization.

And no, I for one wouldn't tell you if your pants were on fire. You'd probably extinguish it and spoil the fun.

I have something else to report though. I had one instance where after having dug up one relic my Sim was immediately teleported back to the base camp, like in a resetsim but without resetting the whole Sim. I've never experienced this before, so I thought I should report this here.

BTW, I have a tiny request for something else, where could I post that? Here?
Field Researcher
#35 Old 22nd Jul 2010 at 4:56 AM
Thank you so much for this. I could not believe that EA put out a patch and did not even acknowledge that this was a problem.

Have a bright platinum diamond day!
Deb
Original Poster
#36 Old 22nd Jul 2010 at 5:28 AM
Actually, I found this quite practical because those sites that still showed the localized menu were the ones that did not work even after the fix. I've discovered two so far in Egypt this way.
Thanks, for sending me on a fruitless bug-hunt with that comment. I tested it and examined all sites in egypt and all had the changed interaction. The one that doesn't work even with the fix didn't spawn this time - it's near one of the entrances of the "mastaba ruins" (IIRC) which are just a long tunnel without anything interesting in them. I might make a screenshot later.

These two sites were almost definitely younger than one hour, so the mod didn't replace the interaction yet. You can enable the testing cheats, click on the ground and select 2BTech-> Fix All Excavation Sites - that should help.
Quote:
And no, I for one wouldn't tell you if your pants were on fire. You'd probably extinguish it and spoil the fun.
Of course not! I would never deliberately spoil your fun!

Quote:
I have something else to report though. I had one instance where after having dug up one relic my Sim was immediately teleported back to the base camp, like in a resetsim but without resetting the whole Sim. I've never experienced this before, so I thought I should report this here.
There's nothing I could do about it without a savegame to provoke it or at least a script error. BTW: From the moment the sim begins routing to the site it's pure EAxian code.

Quote:
BTW, I have a tiny request for something else, where could I post that? Here?
If it's unrelated to existing mods, you can PM me about it. Keep in mind that I don't take requests, though. I'm willing to hear ideas and I might end up coding something if I find it interesting.

#37 Old 22nd Jul 2010 at 10:14 AM
Thanks, for sending me on a fruitless bug-hunt with that comment. I tested it and examined all sites in egypt and all had the changed interaction. The one that doesn't work even with the fix didn't spawn this time - it's near one of the entrances of the "mastaba ruins" (IIRC) which are just a long tunnel without anything interesting in them. I might make a screenshot later.

Ah, that one! This dig site has never worked for me, even before AMB. And I think I can remember that a Sim under Awesomemod's SupremeCommander will get stuck in an action/cancel/action loop when trying to access that site.
BTW, bug hunting is never fruitless, albeit the fruit you gather might not be what you were hunting for. Old Chinese wisdom.
These two sites were almost definitely younger than one hour, so the mod didn't replace the interaction yet. You can enable the testing cheats, click on the ground and select 2BTech-> Fix All Excavation Sites - that should help.

Ok, will try it.
Of course not! I would never deliberately spoil your fun!

Thanks. I appreciate your effort in keeping me happy.
If it's unrelated to existing mods, you can PM me about it. Keep in mind that I don't take requests, though. I'm willing to hear ideas and I might end up coding something if I find it interesting.

Will do that. Promise!
Original Poster
#38 Old 22nd Jul 2010 at 4:19 PM
Ah, that one! This dig site has never worked for me, even before AMB.
Well, that explains a lot. Wait, no, it doesn't! But at least I can strike that off my list.

Quote:
BTW, bug hunting is never fruitless, albeit the fruit you gather might not be what you were hunting for. Old Chinese wisdom.
I'm not so sure if you'd like it if I sticked to that wisdom. I might come to the conclusion that the gathered fruit means bug reports are to be ignored.

#39 Old 22nd Jul 2010 at 11:14 PM
I'm not so sure if you'd like it if I sticked to that wisdom. I might come to the conclusion that the gathered fruit means bug reports are to be ignored.

Er, I understand the meaning of this wisdom rather as an encouragement to continue hunting, because even if you do not find the bug you want you might find others, which in turn lead you to more and even stranger ones etc. etc. Of course you might not find the time anymore to then actually squish those bugs, but your life will be filled with what one may call The Bug, showing you eventually the road to enlightenment.
That's the main problem with those Chinese wisdoms, unfortunately, in the end they will always confront you with infinity, leaving you alone and naked - unless you managed to extinguish those burning pants.
Test Subject
#40 Old 23rd Jul 2010 at 4:53 PM
im having trouble with the mod but ill get back to you.
is going to be a cat when she grows up.
retired moderator
#41 Old 28th Jul 2010 at 3:18 AM
A minor (or major) problem I'm having: I love the mod, but it suppresses the "invite to join conversation" friendly interaction. Since my Sims are social invalids they need all the help they can get. Any workaround for this?
Original Poster
#42 Old 28th Jul 2010 at 4:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by spladoum
A minor (or major) problem I'm having: I love the mod, but it suppresses the "invite to join conversation" friendly interaction.
It does what the what now? My code doesn't even remotely affect the social interactions. And it doesn't do anything that could possibly affect the related checks. The only thing it does to sims is add the "Show Footprints" interaction to them (because the interaction gets added to all GameObjects and sims are GameObjects). Which is rather pointless as sims don't have a footprint...

Can anyone confirm this?

retired moderator
#43 Old 28th Jul 2010 at 5:15 PM
If it helps anyone figure out what I'm doing wrong, I currently have Twallan's Super Computer, and no-route fail/no-foot tap as my other mods. If I remove this mod, "invite to join conversation" shows up on the pie charts immediately.
Original Poster
#44 Old 28th Jul 2010 at 6:30 PM
I just tried it and the "invite to join" interaction showed up just fine. BTW: Does this happen in your home world, too? This mod only gets active in vacation worlds.

retired moderator
#45 Old 28th Jul 2010 at 7:08 PM
I noticed it happening in my home world first.

I removed it until it was time for vacation and re-added it once they got overseas. Since it seems to be me and not you, I'll try removing some other mods to try to pin my gremlin. Thank you for checking.
Original Poster
#46 Old 28th Jul 2010 at 7:16 PM
Please report back if you find anything. This will keep bugging me otherwise.

retired moderator
#47 Old 28th Jul 2010 at 11:09 PM
Curiouser and curiouser ... I tried removing the supercomputer when I came home and the interaction returned. So I can have one mod or the other, but not both.

Oh well, it's not a terribly big deal to copy-paste as my sims travel.
Original Poster
#48 Old 29th Jul 2010 at 4:33 PM
Sorry for sounding like a broken record, but I've tested it with twallan's Master Controller (as the SuperComputer is now outdated) and the invite interaction showed up just fine.

retired moderator
#49 Old 30th Jul 2010 at 2:08 AM
No, I appreciate you letting me know that I had an obselete mod, I wouldn't have guessed there was an update so soon. Thank you for helping me out with this. I appreciate your time.
Test Subject
#50 Old 2nd Aug 2010 at 5:34 AM
This is fantastic; you are fantastic. This bug was driving me crazy!
Page 2 of 8