Top Secret Researcher
#51 Old 27th Apr 2014 at 8:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Fenton
... but I do remember she has No Sense of Humor and ...

...and thank you for the warning, she and I are now done.

...and have multiplied the vertex count 6x on the high LOD with good results. The difference is really noticeable in the Hollows and Felglen with all the rough ground in those areas. No performance hit either.
Woot! This is really getting to be a beautiful place.
Advertisement
Scholar
Original Poster
#52 Old 28th Apr 2014 at 4:06 PM
OK, so it turns out I was foolish to assume altering the vertice count wouldn't affect my lots - because it does, just like the sculpting tool. It also did over the world sculpting, mostly for the better but leaving behind a lot of new spikes and craters that had to be cleaned up. Then of course, since the terrain had shifted, everything else was now off and had to be pulled back to ground, or in some cases, dug out of it. THEN all the routing edges had to be redone.

I see now that the sculpting and vertex count tools are cut from the same cloth - the cloth Satan's g-string is made of. :P

Some pictures coming later.

Heaven's Peak, my CAW WIP
Scholar
Original Poster
#53 Old 30th Apr 2014 at 5:06 AM Last edited by Fentonparkninja : 1st May 2014 at 2:35 PM.
Alright, here we go with the work I've done in the last few days:

Snowhorn Lodge

This is located on the way up to a lookout point on the mountain. While testing the routing, it struck me how long it took for a sim to run overland from the closest road to the path up the mountain without any Athletic skill to increase their speed. Couple that with the way Seasons inflicts temperature debuffs on you during summer and winter for being outside too long, and it seemed like a good idea to create a stopover point partway up.

Stockhome

My attempt at one of those 'modern'-looking homes. I only kind of know what I'm doing here. :P

Billy's Blues Bar - ground floor

This is what the main area looks like inside the blues bar I showed on the previous page. As for the musicians, they're the ones who live there:

Bleus Brothers family L-R: Jaccques, Pierre and Francois

These guys are a play on the Blues Brothers, crossed with some lounge lizard vibes for good measure. They're French thieves on the run from both the law and Jaccques' angry ex. In case it's hard to tell from the picture, Francois is just a teenager (hence the lack of a 5 o'clock shadow), while the other two are YAs.

I've also done a couple more role sims:

Dean Panchos

Runs the General Goods register at the market, gets called 'Pinky' by the Relics merchant across the way because of his salmon-colored clothing accents.

Red Williams

Ex-adventurer, runs the Relics register at the market. Red was once an accomplished explorer, but retired after her best friend and fellow explorer Minerva disappeared.

Lastly, if anyone reading this knows of a free image host that doesn't reduce the quality of your images down to 1024x768, I'd love to know about it. I'm tired of Photobucket's resizer spoiling my pictures all the time. Thanks!

EDIT: This was one more I forgot to add:

Heaven's Peak

This is how everything looks overall right now. Not too different to the early pictures, apart from some houses being moved and the new residential where I used to have the university. Hannakand is on the other side of the island, but it's the only real thing of interest there right now.

just a girl
#54 Old 30th Apr 2014 at 10:24 AM
I use google plus for my pictures. You can make albums and manually resize a picture by changing numbers in a link (comes in handy when posting on forums, especially making previews).
Scholar
Original Poster
#55 Old 30th Apr 2014 at 6:34 PM Last edited by Fentonparkninja : 1st May 2014 at 1:44 PM. Reason: G+
Thanks Lamare, I'll check that out.

EDIT: Alas, Google+ doesn't play nice with my slow connection. It just stays on 'Loading' forever when I click Photos.

Scholar
Original Poster
#56 Old 7th May 2014 at 12:33 PM
Back at work now, so updates may come a little slower than they did when I was on holiday.

So recently my time has been split between building a library, building the next tomb and studying how to use the 'processor' tomb object, which is kind of complicated but something I will get my head around eventually.

The number of residentials I still need to build is starting to get to me a bit. The smaller sizes I enjoy, but anything beyond 40x30s always seems to have too much space. Not sure what to do about it yet ...

Once I finish the library, I'll put up a few more pictures, plus another family.

Scholar
Original Poster
#57 Old 8th May 2014 at 2:07 PM
Alright, the library is more or less done, apart from maybe a little extra decor here and there, so here it is, plus the floorplan:

Mandlefor Library

Ground Floor

First Floor

While building this, I had to find out which bookshelves stocked normal books and which stocked skill manuals. So far, the only one I saw to stock skill manuals was the Book Corral - I feel like that can't be right, there must be other skill bookshelves in the EPs, surely?

On the sim side of things, here is another family - married couple with one daughter:

Carter family L-R: Jennifer, DC and Caroline

DC Carter's sole aim in life is to be the best cop the force has ever seen. However, his dreamy wife and flirty daughter frequently cause situations that fray his already short temper to breaking point.

Top Secret Researcher
#58 Old 8th May 2014 at 8:36 PM
DC Carter's sole aim in life is to be the best cop the force has ever seen.

What an excellent photo! In that pose, he reminds me of a Wodehouse character:
Quote: Originally posted by PG Wodehouse in 'Laughing Gas'
Externally, I take after the pater, and you had ever seen the pater you would realize what that means. He was a gallant solider and played a hot game of polo, but he had a face like a gorilla—much more so, indeed, than most gorillas have—and was, so I am informed, affectionately known to his little circle of cronies as Consul, the Almost Human. And I am his living image.

These things weigh with girls. They shrink from linking their lot with a fellow whose appearance gives the impression that at any moment he may shin up trees and start throwing coco-nuts.
Scholar
Original Poster
#59 Old 8th May 2014 at 9:31 PM
You can blame the simian qualities on the way his animation was playing when I took the photo. It's one of the animations that plays whenever something breaks, where they yell into the sky and then hunch over (what he's doing there).

Jennifer kept looking sideways at him and spoiling the picture, so I was feeling like that myself by the end of it.

Scholar
Original Poster
#60 Old 14th May 2014 at 11:02 AM Last edited by Fentonparkninja : 14th May 2014 at 11:19 AM.
Whew, okay - update time again. I had intended to post a little earlier, but playtesting my latest tomb consumed a lot more time than I allowed for. Which, incidentally, is the main subject of this update, so that will be hidden inside a spoiler tag:

Out of spoiler territory, things I learned while working on this tomb:
  • Trees and plants above a first-floor basement seem to take pieces out of the ceiling tiles at times.
  • The bookcase door from Supernatural seems really sensitive to objects right next to its footprint - sims can inspect it easily enough but they route fail trying to open it afterwards. Having at least 1x1 tiles clear around its whole footprint seems to avoid this problem.
  • Ladders are really spotty when you use them in tombs. I had one placed that kept vanishing and leaving a hole in the floor that couldn't be deleted with the hammer, so I had to use NRaas MC to flush it. Also, if you are using them to go down to a fogged out room, the part visible on the floor you are on can disappear as well, leaving you nothing to click on to let you go down. Spiral staircases have this problem too; in both cases, you have to set a trigger to unfog the room they lead down to.
  • The secret revolving door's footprint seems more strictly enforced than others, in that if sims are trying to use an object that would need them to step into a revolving door's footprint, they often route fail. One example is the torch lever, sims have to step back slightly to pull it and they route fail if the revolving door is too close.
  • The revolving door can also get blocked from moving if something activates it and a sim is standing or walking through its footprint at the time. I had to redesign my doors puzzle quite a bit because of this, as sims would move to get out of the way of one door, just to stand in the way of another.

Yes, quite a bit of blather today, but that's it, bar one last thing - I've switched over to using tinypic now, so my pictures should be somewhat better in quality than they were on photobucket, as tinypic's image size limit is higher.

Scholar
Original Poster
#61 Old 17th May 2014 at 10:11 AM Last edited by Fentonparkninja : 17th May 2014 at 11:14 AM.
Another quick update - some non-tomb stuff I've also worked on over the last week:

"Pumpernickle Hill" (named for lot address right now, can't think of a name for the lot itself)

This is another Hollows house, with its large back yard garden being the most distinctive feature - or at least, it will be after I put some auto-soils there.

Also, I have another two families done:
Old Joe's Daughters family L-R: Melody May, Old Joe Pumpernickle and Galana Nettleberry

Old Joe's known around town as both a botanist and for his two 'daughters', Galana (who I showed a page back) and Melody. While not their biological father, Old Joe's looked after the both of them from a very early age - Melody as a baby left on his doorstep, and Galana from a forbidden fruit seed he cultivated in his garden.

Night Clan family L-R: Daryn Oculus, Juno Darkmoon, Minos Darkmoon and Scarlet Thane

This is a vampire clan that lives in the Reliquary - Minos is the patriarch, although he has lived for so long that he doesn't engage much with his family anymore, leaving his much younger wife Juno as the de facto head of the household. Juno is responsible for turning both Daryn and Scarlet, although she regrets the former immensely, as Daryn uses his powers to make himself a supernaturally giant douche to everyone around him. Scarlet meanwhile, does her best to distance herself from the other vampires' bickering, as her interests lie more in reading and writing than whatever fight is kicking off between Juno and Daryn.

Scholar
Original Poster
#62 Old 28th May 2014 at 1:24 PM
Apologies, I kind of fell off the grid for a while!

I've started building one of the diving lots, for which I'll post some pictures of soon.

Scholar
Original Poster
#63 Old 29th May 2014 at 11:58 AM
OK, diving lots are sort of hard to get good pictures of because of the fog, but here's some of what I'm doing on the first one:

Wreck of the Francis Fay

The Francis Fay sunk trying to navigate around the Sandfingers (those pointy bits sticking out into the sea on the side of the Hollows) to Bluewind Bay (where the beach is) during a storm. These days, it's a popular diving spot, as divers often come across the odd bit of salvage, but the sharks that live in the wreck are less welcome discoveries for unlucky divers ...

I plan to add some of the underwater VFX once I've looked at the Isla Paradiso dive lots to see what the names are.

And here's another family:

Martelli family L-R: Tony, Sarah, Vinnie, Lugo and Annabelle, with Sicily (Siamese cat)

The Martellis are a crime family who act as rivals (as far as 'ownership' of the town goes) to the Landgraabs. Patriarch Lugo has been making sure his favoured son Vinnie is ready to take over from him, while his other son Tony lives in the shadow of his brother. Annabelle meanwhile, doesn't want to be part of a crime family's legacy and would rather become something else entirely when she gets out of school, which is a sore point for all the other family members (they are all Family-Oriented bar Annabelle).

just a girl
#64 Old 29th May 2014 at 3:01 PM
If it's still relevant, the Penningway Bookshelf from basegame is also for skill books in library.
Top Secret Researcher
#65 Old 30th May 2014 at 3:03 AM
The dive-wreck and the Sims look beautiful, and I love how you name them.
Scholar
Original Poster
#66 Old 31st May 2014 at 2:29 AM
Thanks Lamare, I thought I checked that one but I'll double-check.

And thanks Noubie, naming isn't always easy for me! <3

Scholar
Original Poster
#67 Old 3rd Jun 2014 at 9:01 AM
Some more pictures of the wreck, with decoration and effects in place:

... and a little spot for the mersims to get kelp (no clue how many bits you get off a single plant, hopefully four plants are enough):

The sealife spawners seemed a little stingy in-game, though I did see a shark (the catchable kind) swimming around.

Scholar
Original Poster
#68 Old 15th Jun 2014 at 9:38 AM
Just a note to say work is still going on here, just nothing of interest to show right now. I'm trying to get these empty suburban areas filled up, then I'll probably get back to working on the more interesting things, like the Maw (high-level diving area in the Hollows) and Hannakand.

Instructor
#69 Old 15th Jun 2014 at 10:08 AM
How the bloomin' did you get a boat down there? *scratches head*

I haven't really been paying attention to this thread, but oh my, you've put in a loooot of work. Color me impressed
Scholar
Original Poster
#70 Old 15th Jun 2014 at 2:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Tigerdyhr
How the bloomin' did you get a boat down there? *scratches head*

I haven't really been paying attention to this thread, but oh my, you've put in a loooot of work. Color me impressed
It's not a real houseboat, it's one of the houseboat objects that came with Into The Future. There's three of them in among the debug objects.

Thanks for the comments!

Instructor
#71 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 5:46 AM
Thanks for the info! Degbug - shyyyyt, I completely forgot to check out the stuff that came with ITF (only bought it last week). Strange, I usually always check the debug for nifty things, must've had a brain fart.

No seriously, I'm super impressed with the world, I think it's very playable. If I ever used custom maps from others, I'd definitely be getting this. Sims is all my computer can handle though, so I've made me own map - a flat island with absolutely nothing but roads and lots. Boring to look at in bird's view, but very easy on performance, haha
Scholar
Original Poster
#72 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 9:02 AM
On matters of performance, Heaven's Peak runs pretty well during all my in-game testing, even after increasing the vertice count (only the loading time seems to have increased as a result of that). Some areas like the Hollows, which are heavy on VFX (ground fog in this case), will drop the framerate a bit if you go in close, but not to an unplayable degree.

How much this will change when all the sims are added to the world remains to be seen.

Scholar
Original Poster
#73 Old 19th Jul 2014 at 1:35 PM
Alright, first off, here's the sole community lot I've worked on this month:

Greenwood Park (small park)

... and here's some of the homes:
Adore-Abode
This is one of the 'small' lots from the console TS3 game that I recreated manually (i.e. going to build mode, measuring out everything and transferring it over)

The Shanties
These wooden huts are located down on the beach and are the work of beachcombers scavenging objects and amenities from around town, hence nothing matches anything else. The town council would love to just knock them all down and has done so a few times, but they always get rebuilt ...

Exclamation Point
Bright yellow modern-style house easily picked out from above, due to its resemblance to a exclamation mark.

Super Bungalow
Heavily modified version of a Greenwood home.

Modern Zen
EA home from the console. I plan to redesign its wall coverings at some later time.

Lodgy
Another redesigned EA home from the console game, although it's been transferred onto a 30x20 lot (the original is a 36x30 lot).

Landgraab Estate - work in progress
Mansion-type home up on Heaven's Breadth. I don't enjoy building on big lots, so this one will probably take some time to finish.

Top Secret Researcher
#74 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 12:11 AM
Lovely again, Fenton.

Quote:
Greenwood Park (small park)

It is a pleasant-looking place. I like the shade trees, and the bridges with their fishing apertures, and how everything works together to make a good little space.

Quote:
The Shanties

What an excellent thing! Whatever the town council might imagine, the beach would not look nicer if the Beach People were replaced by snotty celebrities, wearing sunglasses that cost more than a shanty and walking their matched pairs of Lhasa Apsos (or whatever's the "in" dog this year). If you live in a perfect climate, it should be OK not to need elaborate, expensive shelter. This is my favorite of all the new things you've added.

Quote:
Landgraab Estate - work in progress
Mansion-type home up on Heaven's Breadth. I don't enjoy building on big lots, so this one will probably take some time to finish.

The grounds might not need to be entirely intricate. I'll bet the Landgraabs mainly want a fabulous view unobstructed by anything Martelli. (But I guess there's always a chance they'll eventually goad each other until someone builds a replica of the Parthenon that can be seen clear from Tonga.)
Top Secret Researcher
#75 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 1:11 AM
Ah Fenton! Everything looks great so far! I love the names you finally settled on, Heaven's Breadth is actually pretty clever! I also agree with Noubie, for the Landgraab's, you might not need to make it all fancy. They could have inherited their great great grandpapie's home or something along those lines, if it's less complex to build something like that. It's your world, you can recreate them anyway you see fit.
Page 3 of 4