Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#201 Old 2nd Aug 2006 at 4:43 PM Last edited by tiggerypum : 24th Aug 2006 at 4:07 PM.
Default Question
Tiggerypum:
I made it to step 29without any problems ( which for me says a lot!)
now where I am running into problems is where you say click on the geometric data container (GMDC) and click export. when I click on the GMDC I do not have an option for exporting here is a picture of what I have. SIm pe is the newest version.
I closed Sim pe and reopened and things are working well sorry for the mispost

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005...461/generic.jpg
Advertisement
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
Original Poster
#202 Old 2nd Aug 2006 at 5:05 PM
Janina, ha, you caught me with something I didn't know the answer to. I started with Brianna's tutorial myself, but only last fall. I just fired up my SimPE - and the default setting when it wants to add an 'extracted file' points to the xml file -- so that is what you're supposed to use. I assume it's changes in SimPE over the years. The old SimPE didn't even show us the names of the package parts in the window.

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Game Help | Create | Content List | Where Can I Find?
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
Original Poster
#203 Old 2nd Aug 2006 at 5:23 PM
komasutra, someone else reported that some time back, and we solved that problem.

Ah yes, answer same actually as the other problem that was just posted in another mesh editing thread - go to the SimPE site and download the stuff from the 'Required' section and install it - it's on the SimPE download page, right near the beginning.

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Test Subject
#204 Old 2nd Aug 2006 at 7:57 PM
that was hard thnx tho
Test Subject
#205 Old 2nd Aug 2006 at 10:41 PM
Hmm, that means, using the .xml ended files also in an earlier step (I mean after havin extracted the cres, shape etc and then add them in the new template?). Then I have I done a lot wrong this time *arg* Strange, I'm so into the old tutorial and SimPE (I trhink it was version 0.33 *g*).
Well always use the .xml files???
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
Original Poster
#206 Old 3rd Aug 2006 at 12:24 AM
Janina, I hope you are using the newest simpe? I hope, it's got changes/fixes for meshes. Anyway, just use whatever default the program offers, as long as you can find your file on the list, use the file extension that it suggests. I honestly have not looked at the specific extensions but always trusted SimPE was asking for the things that it wanted.

Test Subject
#207 Old 3rd Aug 2006 at 11:45 AM
Sure, I'm using the newest SimPE (0.58). So, it's kinda confusing *g* with the endings of the files :/
Field Researcher
#208 Old 15th Aug 2006 at 10:49 AM
I need help with step number 29.
In SimPE this is happening!

Ps. I can`t speak English!

ingeborgsk
Field Researcher
#209 Old 15th Aug 2006 at 7:18 PM
I found it out!

ingeborgsk
Scholar
#210 Old 16th Aug 2006 at 9:48 AM
Tiggerplum, Milkshape 3D expired on me, so I now downloaded Wings 3D, and wondering can Wings 3D do just as much as Milkshape 3D, or does it have limitations?

Shame because Milkshape was so easy to use, yet finding Wings 3D so complicated.
Scholar
#211 Old 16th Aug 2006 at 9:58 AM
Ok now Wings 3D is easy to use, different, but its ok, wondering now I suppose it no good for your Unimesh tutorial as if you can't add parts with Wings.
Test Subject
#212 Old 16th Aug 2006 at 4:39 PM Last edited by tiggerypum : 16th Aug 2006 at 7:13 PM. Reason: waaaayyy too much quoting
I couldn't find it.
Quote: Originally posted by tiggerypum
(this is the second part of the body mesh editing tutorial by Tiggerypum)

Part V – Editing Your Mesh (finally!)

29) Open your mesh file with SimPE.

30) Click on the Geometric Data Container (GMDC), make sure the settings are set to XYZ, and click the Export button.

31) Choose the Maya Object Exporter (.obj) and name your file something like Body1

I don't have the sims PE so I lost you at that step. Can you teach me how to do it?And I have no idea how to get the string off the back so can you teach me that too? Thanx.
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
Original Poster
#213 Old 16th Aug 2006 at 7:16 PM
CitySim,
Go look in the infocenter, there are special instructions for how to use Wings with MeshTool (and there is a beginning Meshtool tutorial on site). It is far more limited in what you can do - you can only move vertices (and not past major joints, like knees or elbows)

Smartchick,
If you did the first part of the tutorial, you must have installed SimPE. Try looking in the programs menu for it, or on your desktop for an icon. Info about where to find and install SimPE is in the first part of the tutorial.

Scholar
#214 Old 19th Aug 2006 at 4:35 AM
I'm getting used to Wings 3D now, and I can see why you don't recommend it, things I could do in 5-10 minutes with Milkshape takes me well over an hour with Wings.

I haven't even got to your more advanced tutorial yet with Unimesh, I had fun just modifiying existing ones, i'm now more than ready to move on, but I'm think I better considering purchasing Milkshape otherwise I won't get far...
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
Original Poster
#215 Old 19th Aug 2006 at 5:24 AM
My reason for not recommending Wings is solely that it doesn't support enough to do real body mesh modifications with it. While making simple mods is fun in and of itself, eventually people usually want to get far more creative, and that requires more than OBJ format for boned meshes.

Test Subject
#216 Old 24th Aug 2006 at 5:43 AM
Default Xzy?
First off, thank you so much for the tutorial. Suddenly, meshing makes a bit of sense to me.

But I do have a question about exporting in either XYZ or XZY. I had the problem with the skin lying down in Body Shop and, thanks to your additional FAQ on that, was able to have everything functional by exporting the gmdc file in XZY. That said, will I have to export every future gmdc file in XZY to keep that problem from occuring or was what happened to my skin merely a fluke?
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
Original Poster
#217 Old 24th Aug 2006 at 6:16 AM
When you first did your export I think you missed a setting (or when you imported). In the future just make sure you always use the settings however it's written in the tutorial and it should work fine.

Test Subject
#218 Old 3rd Sep 2006 at 2:42 AM
This was my first try at meshing and i used Blender. I read the steps very carefully but on my first try when i tried to open the edited file in bodyshop, the mannequin got all deformed, the hands flew back and stretched out, the dress turned backwards and fell down into the floor, and the head remained in the same spot. I tried the tutorial again but the same problem occured. Could you please help me, sorry i couldn't provide a picture.
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
Original Poster
#219 Old 3rd Sep 2006 at 3:35 AM
dress on the floor means that you didn't have the correct xyz settings when you exported the obj file. I am assuming that you DID use the special code for blender when you did it, as outlined in the infocenter, because it sounds like your mesh went in sorta okay.

Test Subject
#220 Old 4th Sep 2006 at 12:57 AM
The dress was not on the floor, i visited that thread and that was not what happend the bottom half of the skirt was IN the floor, it kinda sank into it.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"
-Albert Einstein
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
Original Poster
#221 Old 4th Sep 2006 at 5:24 AM
Well, I don't know blender. If the blender instructions as outlined in the bodyshop meshing thread in the InfoCenter aren't enough, I'm not sure what to suggest. You could try a simple test of repeating the obj export, doing a simple and obvious edit in blender (like grab one vertice and pull it way out) and then reimport (remember) and see if you can get it to work. At one time one of the members of the site did have it working, but as meshtool edits are very limited, there was not a lot of use of it.

Field Researcher
#222 Old 6th Sep 2006 at 1:35 PM
I'm still confused about this:
When we first make our new MESH file we run fix integrity and the name of the GMDC changes to include "tigaf...". Then when we replace the GMDC with the new .simpe file it has the original name again, and that works. In object making you have to change it back to the "tig..." name.
Is there an explaination for this or should I just not worry about it?
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#223 Old 6th Sep 2006 at 4:11 PM
Mage, you can copy the mesh name from the plugin view of the GMDC before replacing, replace the mesh, and then paste the name back in and commit. Or you can just let it replace with whatever name it wants and not worry about it. Body Shop meshes are not referenced by name, so the name in there doesn't matter. I tend to copy, replace, paste myself, just so everything looks nice and neat and perfect, but it's not essential.

Object meshing and Body Shop meshing, while similar in some ways, are a whole different bucket of worms.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
#224 Old 7th Sep 2006 at 7:43 PM
I am a bit scared you can say to do this! I there not another way?

Bleachfreak @_@

If you smile you are happy if you dont smile you are sad! Dont be sad because you must be happy! @_@
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
Original Poster
#225 Old 7th Sep 2006 at 9:51 PM
Bleachfreak this area is for making your own new meshes (shapes) for the game. If you do not have permission to install new software on the computer you're using which is not yours (referring to your other post, you posted this twice) then maybe meshing is not for you. It requires special software. It is also very time consuming.

Page 9 of 21