Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
#26 Old 8th Sep 2008 at 2:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Canoodle
The cheats should work ( one or the other or both)

boolprop aptsublotspecifictoolsdisabled false/true
boolprop aptbaselotspecifictoolsdisabled false/true

These should open up build/buy mode.

These codes works the same way but for different situations:

boolprop aptsublotspecifictoolsdisabled false/true works only on apartment lots where you already have moved in a sim family, the family you're playing while entering the code will pay for all changes!

boolprop aptbaselotspecifictoolsdisabled false/true works only on apartment lots where no sims are moved in!

In both cases the codes unlocks all build tools + you're able to place/delete objects in the common area aswell as apartments

Life's a game, so let's play!
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#27 Old 8th Sep 2008 at 11:02 PM
Thank you so much guys!!

† mom, July 8, 2006 †
Test Subject
#28 Old 9th Sep 2008 at 5:01 AM
I figured that it would be nice to build a greek house for my collage sims; the fun stuff in the common area and rentable bedrooms on the 2nd floor. But... there is a problem, they can’t use the kitchen . Could it be that I’ve done something wrong, or it’s not possible to have the kitchen at the common area?
Test Subject
#29 Old 9th Sep 2008 at 1:28 PM
That sounds almost logical, for who'd pay for the groceries in a common fridge? The landlord? You have to equip every apartment with its own kitchen, but if you don't place diningtables inside the apartments, food will be served on the table in the common area. Beware of dirty dishes though, neighbours tend to complain about that :-)

Maybe it's enough to only put the fridge inside the apartment. In Belladonna (the new neighourhood in my dutch version) there's an apartment with a bbq in the common area and if I let a sim make some hamburgers, he gets them out of his own fridge, so a stove in the common area should work.
Forum Resident
#30 Old 9th Sep 2008 at 7:36 PM Last edited by megativity13 : 9th Sep 2008 at 7:46 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by evile420
i am converting a duplex into an apartment... and although i have seen this question asked, i either missed the answer or one hasnt been posted...
i have 3 units, one apartment door as an entrence for each, a back patio door that leads down to a completely fenced in yard for each one (each fence has NO gate and four sides for each unit, if you count the patio deck as a wall)
when i use the cheat to change the lot into an apratment, i get that invalid apartment error... what am i missing?
on my last conversion, i had to take the basement and stage (landings) out of the apartments to get it to work, but it worked.... now on this one, after reading the so called tutorials, i fenced it all in to make sure it worked, and it still doesnt work... i would post an image, but i cant seem to make it work.

any ideas?

Here's an idea- if you make the 3 yards into one common yard by removing
the fencing/walls/separators between them
(leaving the perimeter completely fenced in) and make the yard accessible
through one common area-a room or hallway that all
tenants have access to (with a normal non-apartment door) you can have
steps leading down into the yard/garden.

Quote: Originally posted by elitza
I figured that it would be nice to build a greek house for my collage sims; the fun stuff in the common area and rentable bedrooms on the 2nd floor. But... there is a problem, they can’t use the kitchen . Could it be that I’ve done something wrong, or it’s not possible to have the kitchen at the common area?

from what I understand apartments do not work in university sub-hoods
(which really sucks)- Also, the university stove does not function correctly
in apartments (it summons the cafeteria worker who cannot enter the bldg.)
Common kitchens do seem to work, though- but only for your controllable sim.
They can take food from the fridge, prepare it and serve it- but it seems
to be for that sim or their family. Other occupants do not touch the food-
nor can they take the leftovers from the fridge- though your controllable
sim/family can.
I've not tested a building with more than one controllable family- so I can't say how that scenario would work.

"I have learned silence from the talkative, tolerance from the intolerant and kindness from the unkind, yet, I'm ungrateful to those teachers. "- Kahlil Gibran
Field Researcher
#31 Old 10th Sep 2008 at 12:19 AM
I am haveing an old issue that was never really resovled and a new issue. The old issue is this. When i make my apartments they NEVER get the apartment mailbox. They get units, sims can move in, the land lord shows up but I never get the mailbox.

My other odd problem which may be related to the mailbox. when I get a roommate. they get an icon but they vanish, unless i use Sim PE to summon them. in addition, if I want them to move out, the game tells me that the room mate I am moving out is the only playable sim on the lot even though The sim they moved in with (my sim) is actually there.

And to who ever asked. YES i think this expack came out waaaaaay to early. This is reminicent of Microsoft bugginess.
Stupid people are stupid
#32 Old 10th Sep 2008 at 10:25 AM Last edited by HystericalParoxysm : 10th Sep 2008 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Fixing link - hi angel!
Quote: Originally posted by DarkLolita
I am haveing an old issue that was never really resovled and a new issue. The old issue is this. When i make my apartments they NEVER get the apartment mailbox. They get units, sims can move in, the land lord shows up but I never get the mailbox.

My other odd problem which may be related to the mailbox. when I get a roommate. they get an icon but they vanish, unless i use Sim PE to summon them. in addition, if I want them to move out, the game tells me that the room mate I am moving out is the only playable sim on the lot even though The sim they moved in with (my sim) is actually there.

And to who ever asked. YES i think this expack came out waaaaaay to early. This is reminicent of Microsoft bugginess.

Your problem are probably related to incompatible custom content. Please go through the following FAQ:
http://www.modthesims2.com/wiki.php...lp:Game_Problem

If this doesn't solve your problem, please post in the game help forum and post exactly what happens with every step in this FAQ.
Field Researcher
#33 Old 10th Sep 2008 at 10:07 PM Last edited by lilsweetiecori : 10th Sep 2008 at 11:51 PM.
New problem for me... Yesterday I furnished my family's apartment, I lowered the pictures on the wall they turned a bit shadowy but it didn't look too bad... Today I start playing and they are completely black! Anyone think of a reason why and is this anything anyone else might be experiencing?

screenshot of the problem

† mom, July 8, 2006 †
Stupid people are stupid
#34 Old 11th Sep 2008 at 12:42 PM
Lilsweetiecori, i have the same problem, although not that bad.
Are you sure you don't have any lighting mods? http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=300307
Field Researcher
#35 Old 11th Sep 2008 at 7:54 PM Last edited by lilsweetiecori : 11th Sep 2008 at 8:20 PM.
yeah its pretty bad isnt it ... But nope no mods, no hacks, no custum stuff, nothing =/ Thing is I left this apartment to go to another apartment in the same building and their wall hangings that are lowered look fine, a little darker than normal but still look fine. It just seems to be in this one apartment.

Here is a shot of one of the other apartments wall hangings lowered:

I just dont understand why the other family's things turned balck the day after

† mom, July 8, 2006 †
Test Subject
#36 Old 11th Sep 2008 at 11:52 PM
I think it's a bug in the game. I hear a lot of people about that one, and it bothers me on some - not all - walls. I just use that wall for larger paintings and do the fancy collages on other walls.
Field Researcher
#37 Old 12th Sep 2008 at 9:09 AM
I am starting to build my first apartment. I have two questions:

1. Can I have a separate garden for each apartment/unit I build? For example I am building a lot that has around 4-6 units on it, can they have their own separate garden?

2. Also If I want the units/apartments to have different coloured roofs, is it possible? Thanks!

You can upload my creations with your sim or lot or neighbourhood but only to free sites, not the exchange and no paysites. You can credit too if you wish. If a creation I have created has custom content from another artist please ask them for permission first to upload with your neighbourhood.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
Original Poster
#38 Old 12th Sep 2008 at 9:31 AM
scampy1 -

1) Yes, but you need to build straight on the ground, not on a foundation, and the gardens must be completely fenced in without any gates.

2) Not unless you use flat roofs made of floor tiles.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Field Researcher
#39 Old 12th Sep 2008 at 10:26 AM
Thanks HystericalParoxsym! Just wanted to know because I am currently looking at the Prima guide book for Apartments and on page 108 there is a commercial building that has two different coloured roofs. I was hoping in someway I could get that and use for my apartment lot.

You can upload my creations with your sim or lot or neighbourhood but only to free sites, not the exchange and no paysites. You can credit too if you wish. If a creation I have created has custom content from another artist please ask them for permission first to upload with your neighbourhood.
Forum Resident
#40 Old 12th Sep 2008 at 3:17 PM
you can use the roof deco items that came with Apartment Life
(find in Buy Mode> Deco section) to have 2 different colored roofs on
the same lot.

"I have learned silence from the talkative, tolerance from the intolerant and kindness from the unkind, yet, I'm ungrateful to those teachers. "- Kahlil Gibran
Test Subject
#41 Old 12th Sep 2008 at 3:36 PM
I had a problem with the mailboxes. Thought it might be because of the buyable mailbox, but I couldn find the file in my downloads folder. So I deleted it in the game catalogue.
Now all my lots don't have any mailbox. It's gone, the normal one AND the apartment one.
I uninstalled apartment life and installed again, but it's still the same problem.
All I know is that it doesn't seem to be the "sim a little, dream a lot" mailbox.
Can anybody help me?
Forum Resident
#42 Old 12th Sep 2008 at 7:23 PM
found this gem whilst poking around at MATY
http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s....html#msg367457

basically, it's a cheaty (and easy) way to have steps leading down into a
garden/yard.

Test Subject
#43 Old 13th Sep 2008 at 6:40 PM
Default help with building ballustrade
Hi there, does anyone know how to build this?

http://www.simsforum.nl/forum/inline/id/5302/mid/292050

i'd like to build a ballustrade (hope the translation is good...)
but i don't get it like this....
anyone know how i have to build so i can see it like this too?
tnx!
Field Researcher
#44 Old 13th Sep 2008 at 8:48 PM
franciskaprosje, do you have a picture of what it looks like when you build it in your game? That will make it easier to determine what kind of issue you might be having.
Test Subject
#45 Old 14th Sep 2008 at 1:27 PM
Hope this helps with AL building!!

Thany you all so much! I have been reading the posts and went back to my apartment to see if i could fix it and I did!!!!!

I have 4 apartments and all have driveways. If you dont have a garage it is a common area so you cannot place a car on it. If you dont have a door from your garage to the apartment it becomes a common area too ergo no car again. If you place a door into the garage from the apartment it tells you that the apartments are invalid and when you go to the neighborhood there is no apartments and a value of 0 simoleons.

I went and looked at the apartment in the game and I noticed they had arches tried that and it didnt work but I did have the OpenAuto Garage Door on the garage and I swapped it for the Axle Garage Door by You Got Muscle and it worked.

Now I need to find a different garage door fix!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#46 Old 14th Sep 2008 at 1:39 PM
Thanks for the tips, guys. I've edited the main document and added the trick using invisible fences to add a yard when the main apartment is on a foundation.

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Test Subject
#47 Old 14th Sep 2008 at 2:55 PM
freelancergal:

this is what i get when i try

first floor view:

second floor view:

Is it that they tricked the picture and just took it from the second floor view? Or am i doing something wrong?
I'd like it to look like the picture i posted before...
tnx for helping!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#48 Old 14th Sep 2008 at 3:19 PM
franciskaprosje - That's built just fine. Yes, they took the picture from the second floor view. See here for basic controls in Cameraman (TAB) view: http://www.modthesims2.com/wiki.php...reenshot_Basics

You go up to the second floor, hit TAB, then drop the camera down to the first floor. I did the same thing in the top left picture here.

Test Subject
#49 Old 14th Sep 2008 at 5:40 PM
Will I have to download the mailbox or will it appear if I do it like EA did?
http://thesims2.ea.com/getcoolstuff...ng_tutorial.pdf
retired moderator
Original Poster
#50 Old 14th Sep 2008 at 5:59 PM
cntoonz - You don't have to download anything. The residential mailbox switches to the apartment mailbox after you've rezoned the apartment and re-entered it.

Page 2 of 11