Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Forum Resident
#5751 Old 2nd Oct 2020 at 1:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Phantomknight
Oh, it be nice if Mortimer could have an observatory, I thought. Anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong? I'm thinking I should give up and either make everything living space or create a second floor deck.

I'm no expert builder or anything, but maybe you could remove the roof, make room for some stairs on the top floor, build the room where you want it, and then make some roofs. Or was that what you were doing anyway, and it's just not going well?

Another idea I just thought of, maybe the observatory can be on a flat plane without a roof; I want to call it a terrace, but I don't know if that is the word I'm looking for. Hopefully, you get what I'm trying to say. Or do you have an image in your head that you're determined to replicate? Because I get like that a lot of the time.

When a game is predictable, it's boring.
That goes for any medium that isn't life.
That's why The Sims 2 is my favourite sims game.
It has elements of unpredictability and everything feels more involved.
The Sims 4 is another story altogether...
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#5752 Old 2nd Oct 2020 at 3:06 PM
@Phantomknight -That's why I never just use the roofing tool to make the roof except if I've done the building for the time being and I always remove those peaked rooftops before doing any changes as I would have floor tiles unerneath the roof.I'd floor tile under the roof before removing it and that would've stopped that from happening.I often use floor tiles as a flat roofing as I can also make that into a rooftop deck with fencing around the edge and stairs leading up to the roof outside where there's a gap in the fence or spriral stairs coming up from a covered patio with fencing around the opening at the top if I didn't leave a gap in the fencing.
I also use career rewards unlocked because not everybody is living on a homestead and homesteaders can't rely on gardening all year as gardens go dormant in the winter.
Mad Poster
#5753 Old 2nd Oct 2020 at 4:40 PM
When you make an outfit that finally turns out right and then realise that the creator of the mesh you used has a policy of no sharing.
Alchemist
#5754 Old 2nd Oct 2020 at 6:04 PM
I was trying to make the roof go around the observatory, but nothing I tried worked. (I'm building something vaguely Victorian so I was going to do a 3 story tower.) I could extend the second floor all the way, but I didn't really need the extra space, as the second floor has 5 bedrooms already (4x5 ones, too).

"Thinking of you, wherever you are. We pray for our sorrows to end, and hope that our hearts will blend." - Kingdom Hearts

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
aka Kelyns | she/her
Mad Poster
#5755 Old 3rd Oct 2020 at 6:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Phantomknight
I was trying to make the roof go around the observatory, but nothing I tried worked. (I'm building something vaguely Victorian so I was going to do a 3 story tower.) I could extend the second floor all the way, but I didn't really need the extra space, as the second floor has 5 bedrooms already (4x5 ones, too).

Was thinking that dormers are making holes in the roof when deleted. Maybe use that hole.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#5756 Old 3rd Oct 2020 at 2:20 PM
@Phantomknight Put a roof on it; the roof below will then vanish. Trouble is that you have to make the roof the same shape as the room, or else you will have holes in the roof below where the rooof overlaps.
Mad Poster
#5757 Old 3rd Oct 2020 at 7:02 PM
@Simsample -You forgot that putting floor tiles in before adding any of the rooftops would stop weather from getting in even if there were holes in the roof below the tower because it's roof was the wrong size or shape for that structure.It's also useful if you ever decided to change the house design later and had to remove all of the rooftops other than floor tiles roofs.I've used foors as a roof without weather getting into any of my homes and it always works unless you left a part of a room uncovered by mistake.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#5758 Old 3rd Oct 2020 at 7:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TadOlson
You forgot that putting floor tiles in before adding any of the rooftops would stop weather from getting in
Oh, I wasn't meaning the weather- the roof will stop that, anyway. But rather, the gaps look unsightly and not very realistic:

And it's pretty impossible to get the hexagon roofs to work on an asymmetrical hexagonal room, unless you fiddle around with multiple roofs which doesn't look too good.

For those reasons, I'd either make the room a symmetrical hex, or else avoid the angled walls altogether.
Mad Poster
#5759 Old 3rd Oct 2020 at 7:30 PM
@Simsample -I had that gapping once in an EA build just shortly after installing the game on my older laptop almost 13 years ago and the weather kept getting inside that home whenever it started raining or snowing and I ended up having to put floor tiles all over under the roof to stop that from happening.It also happened once not long after when I used one of my older builds and forgot that it had just a roof with no floor tiles at all under the roof and I wanted to change things up a little and had to remove the roof only to wonder why it was raining in their house and they were all getting cold and wet inside the home.I quickly leaned to start chcking that when adding my older builds to a town and I always use that free tile found in build mode as a builder's grade roof tile or flooring in my apartment builds if they're meant to be cheap affordable housing.
Mad Poster
#5760 Old 4th Oct 2020 at 5:25 PM
You know, it seems like there ought to be a custom decorative fake roof piece for that sort of stuff. Maybe drop it in the mods you'd like to see thread and see if any of the object builders gets inspired?

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Mad Poster
#5761 Old 7th Oct 2020 at 4:53 PM
One thing annyoing me is that my sims got careless about leaving the outdoor things out too long and time is running out to get ready for the coming winter and things are worse for the Hobbs family who needs new clothing in the worst way possible before winter arrives.
Lab Assistant
#5762 Old 14th Oct 2020 at 3:59 PM
- sim gets a want to buy an object
*buys object for sim*
- sim proceeds to act disgusted

ohhh you little shit!
Field Researcher
#5763 Old 14th Oct 2020 at 4:54 PM
Sims stopping to cry in the middle of doing things after somebody died. I get it, you're sad, but can you please take care of your own needs too.
Forum Resident
#5764 Old 14th Oct 2020 at 5:44 PM
I've been getting annoyed by the abundance of hobby wants hogging slots. I have Fewer Hobby Wants and WantHacks, but the wants can still mostly be: play marco polo, play video games, play chess, go hiking, jump rope, etc.

Forum Resident
#5765 Old 14th Oct 2020 at 10:30 PM
It still kinda bothers me how adults can't have unmodded committed relationships without getting engaged. I know there are mods to go steady, but since the vanilla game only allows teens to go steady, I feel like it's a special thing just for them and don't want to rid them of it...
Lab Assistant
#5766 Old 15th Oct 2020 at 5:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Vixxen
Sims stopping to cry in the middle of doing things after somebody died. I get it, you're sad, but can you please take care of your own needs too.

It's a bit worse when they won't stop crying because they didn't go to university.

Quote: Originally posted by CrystalFlame360
I've been getting annoyed by the abundance of hobby wants hogging slots. I have Fewer Hobby Wants and WantHacks, but the wants can still mostly be: play marco polo, play video games, play chess, go hiking, jump rope, etc.

OMG so much this I'm going through this and it's driving me nuts!!! I regret having my sims learn the slap dance while at vacation! After they came home, they kept having slap dance wishes all the damn time and also wishes to dance non-stop. I decided to sell their radio and even a lot of days later THEY STILL WANT TO DO THE CURSED THING! It won't stop! I'm told here that if you ignore these wants they will stop rolling less, but I sold their radio and they haven't slap danced for like more than 10 days, they're nearly becoming elders and the damned wish won't go away! I also have the same hacks you mentioned, and these play video games and chess are also hella bothersome, not to mention the watch movie aswell. It's more bothering because it clogs up the wants tree and also takes away better and more major wants for you sim like falling in love, having a child etc. My sim only wants to play games, slap dance and tell jokes all the time!

I'd also be happier if they made a mod which would make your sim not to want becoming friends/best friends/BFF yadda yadda with every single sim they get to meet. I don't mind these one time or another but it becomes an annoyance when if you met someone or make a friendship they want to keep hogging the sim to death until they get to BFF, even if it's not a popularity sim.
Scholar
#5767 Old 15th Oct 2020 at 11:20 PM
I have a mod called NoAutonomousSlapDance. I don't remember where I got it, but it prevents the slap dance on anywhere but vacation lots. There's also NoAutonomousGestures and NoAutonomousHulaDance. I'm sure I got them from the same place--maybe a google search will turn them up.

I wish my game would respect the sexual orientation of my Sims. If a girl has a 500+ attraction to other girls and a -200 attraction to boys, then she should reject flirts from boys. I'd like to have the option of having a clueless boy flirt with one of my lesbian teens and get shot down, rather than her responding positively and getting a crush on him.
Lab Assistant
#5768 Old 15th Oct 2020 at 11:25 PM Last edited by crazyangrysim974 : 16th Oct 2020 at 3:58 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by sturlington
I have a mod called NoAutonomousSlapDance. I don't remember where I got it, but it prevents the slap dance on anywhere but vacation lots. There's also NoAutonomousGestures and NoAutonomousHulaDance. I'm sure I got them from the same place--maybe a google search will turn them up.

Yeah but the thing is not them autonomously slap dancing, if it was I really wouldn't mind but it's that I'm plagued with the "slap dance" want all the time and it won't go away. I sold their radio and they never slap danced again and it's been days since but this want will not go away no matter what, it became a nuisance.
Scholar
#5769 Old 15th Oct 2020 at 11:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by crazyangrysim974
Yeah but the thing is not them autonomously slap dancing, if it was I really wouldn't mind but it's that I'm plagued with the "slap dance" want all the time and it won't go away. I sold their radio and they never slap danced again and it's been days since but this want will not go away no matter what, it became a nuisance.

Oh, sorry, I see your problem now. I haven't had the want appear since I installed the mod either, but I don't know if that's because of the mod or because I just don't take my Sims on vacation all that often, so it's possible they haven't even learned any of the dances.
Scholar
#5770 Old 16th Oct 2020 at 1:53 AM Last edited by Clashfan : 16th Oct 2020 at 2:32 AM.
My personal experience is they will roll those dance wants even if they don't know how to do the dance. I've not come across a mod to get rid of the dance wants either individually or all together. I've got a few other mods that are supposed to stop certain kinds of "want" spam and I have to be honest they don't all work. As for the dancing ones I tend to just look at them as an easy way to get a quick boost if my sims aspirations are low.
Forum Resident
#5771 Old 16th Oct 2020 at 3:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sturlington
I wish my game would respect the sexual orientation of my Sims. If a girl has a 500+ attraction to other girls and a -200 attraction to boys, then she should reject flirts from boys. I'd like to have the option of having a clueless boy flirt with one of my lesbian teens and get shot down, rather than her responding positively and getting a crush on him.

I thought romancemod did this, or am I mistaken? If not, then that's a shame since I'd like that depth.

This brings me to another one: The Gypsy Matchmaker giving a straight sim a gay blind date and vice versa; giving a gay sim a straight blind date. In short, it's annoying how she doesn't consider gender preference when choosing a date, even if you pay full price.

Theorist
#5772 Old 16th Oct 2020 at 3:52 PM
I thought romancemod did this, or am I mistaken? If not, then that's a shame since I'd like that depth.

As far as I know the romance mod does not do that. It just adjusts whether married Sims will cheat or not and makes it so that Romance Sims aren't jealous.
Then again I don't think I've ever had a Sim who +500 or -200 on that "gender preference" scale.

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Lab Assistant
#5773 Old 16th Oct 2020 at 4:02 PM

Atleast not in my game it doesn't. I have the mod and I decided to test if all sims really were "bi" by default and set up a relationship with a female sim which was considered married and straight setting up max score, adding friends and BFFs aswell, then sent my female sim to try to flirt and kiss her and she rejected all of them.
Scholar
#5774 Old 16th Oct 2020 at 4:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Orphalesion
As far as I know the romance mod does not do that. It just adjusts whether married Sims will cheat or not and makes it so that Romance Sims aren't jealous.
Then again I don't think I've ever had a Sim who +500 or -200 on that "gender preference" scale.

I use ACR and randomize gender preference with high settings because I want my Sims who are gay to actually be gay and not sorta gay. It will randomize some to bisexual, so I do check the scores to make sure.
Mad Poster
#5775 Old 16th Oct 2020 at 4:54 PM
Pescado's romancemod is indeed supposed to do that. If it isn't working properly, try running the Hack Conflict Detector to see if something's interfering with it.

Quote: Originally posted by Pescado
(Taken from the romancemod's readme file)

2. Sexual orientation of a sim now actually matters! A very straight sim will decline homosexual interactions and vice-versa.
Page 231 of 275