Replies: 67 (Who?), Viewed: 5809 times.
Page 3 of 3
Scholar
#51 Old 24th Mar 2021 at 6:50 PM
The cheap batteries that I found at Lidl! Things are different in this country so like it seems that cheap random brands of batteries aren't as much of a thing. Which rude, cos like off brand things are good too. My alarm clock can now do its thing. So mission accomplished- it only took me 3 months
Mad Poster
#52 Old 29th Mar 2021 at 8:35 PM
My original dental appointment was tomorrow.

It was rescheduled.

For those wondering, I am scared and uncomfortable around dentists, especially since my two front teeth are breaking in crumbles since I last saw the dental assistants who work in his stead.

I should be the only one to shine,
I am the Golden Queen of Shadow Galactica
(Translation of a line from image song Golden Queen Galaxia)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#53 Old 30th Mar 2021 at 5:34 PM
Groceries were delivered almost 2 hours early.

I got the ornamental grasses cleaned up. A whole bunch of new growth was hidden under the dead stuff. Since I had the clippers out, I also cleaned up the Weeping Cherry tree. It had a bunch of sucker branches on it that not only looked bad, but they also prevent air flow once the tree is leafed out.

Made a appointment to have one of the oak trees taken down. The top center of it is dead; it needs to dealt with before it causes problems. 

At some point today I need to tackle the forsythia near the street.  I can't propagate any of it to fill in where I want it as it is too soon, but it needs a serious hair cut. It was left unattended last year and it looks like it.  The part that needs trimming acts like a living screen between us and the neighbors anyway so it won't matter if the cut parts don't flower.
Mad Poster
#54 Old 31st Mar 2021 at 7:35 PM
For those of you worried about the fate of gaming industry icon Mario...just remember, tomorrow is April Fools Day.

I should also mention I am no big fan of April Fools Day. Why the fuck do we need a special day to create hoaxes, satire and parody? People already do it everyday like on shows like The Simpsons, Family Guy, South Park and even news sites based in satire like The Onion, which unfortunately Mainland China is so much locked out from the rest of the world, this actually happened where China cited The Onion in an article.

My idea of April Fools is along the lines of SpongeBob SquarePants pulling "Micropranks" where it's mostly about nuances. Say you want a couple of ice cubes, but he only gives you one.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#55 Old 3rd Apr 2021 at 3:58 PM Last edited by Gargoyle Cat : 3rd Apr 2021 at 5:26 PM.
My otherwise crappy week has turned around.  The plants I've been stressing about are in and I have mini gargoyle coming which is always fun.  He'll be sitting among the plants in the livingroom.  Now I need to come up with a name as Mini Gunther isn't working for me.

EDIT:  The mystery plant that I've been trying to root via stem cuttings is a Japanese Andromeda. I've found one video on how to propagate them and it isn't the way I'm attempting to do it.  The plant spits out runners which eventually root and make new plants.  To propagate, the runner is cut, then the root ball of the small or baby plant is dug up, then grown in a container for about a year.  This is a propagating project I can do now; all I need is a bigger pot.
Mad Poster
#56 Old 17th Apr 2021 at 3:07 PM
I'm getting the onion rings out the oven and Ivy goes "Wow! Doughnuts! Thank you Mummy" and hugs me. My heart is melting she's so cute.

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Mad Poster
#57 Old 18th Apr 2021 at 8:34 PM Last edited by PANDAQUEEN : 18th Apr 2021 at 8:38 PM. Reason: Oops
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle Cat
Now that is isn't subzero at night; plants happen.

I ordered a Button Fern and a Rhaphidophora tetrasperma AKA Mini Monstera.  The Monstera Deliciosa I ordered back in December or January has doubled in size.  I think it's funny that spell check wants to call my plant a monster.  It is appropriate as they are prolific growers and get really big if allowed to do so.

One of these days I'll be brave and order a Hoya.  There is nothing intimidating about them, but some reason my brain sez they are hard to care for; they're not. They just grow really, really slow.

I had a Monstera deliciosa when I was teenager. By the time it reached 2 stories tall in the atrium, we sent it to live at a university's botanical garden. As far as anyone is concerned, no, it didn't eat any undergrads as a snack.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#58 Old 19th Apr 2021 at 11:15 AM
There are a couple variegated versions of the Monstera deliciosa which are lovely, but people that sell them want anywhere from $800-$1200.00 plus for a rooted stem.  Then there are all the assholes on EBay selling things like "Variegated Monstera dirt" as if dirt has anything to with the genetics of a plant.  To go along with the variegated dirt people are those trying sell variegated Monstera seeds which don't exist. It is like the plant being sold as a "Pink Congo".   There is no such thing as a Pink Congo; it's a plant that is injected with chemicals. Once the chemicals wear off, the plant reverts back to green.

I enjoy my Monstera deliciosa and its friends that come from the same genus, but I won't be spending a mortgage payment and then some on a stem, make believe dirt, seeds or a Pink Congo.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#59 Old 21st Apr 2021 at 8:06 PM
Problematic tree is no longer problematic. Had it taken just in time before gross weather moves in.  Somebody is going to be happy with lots of free firewood.

I've been in contact with the seller of the Cast Iron plant I got last week. The plant is doing fine, but the person has some explaining to do.

Overall, things are chill...for the moment.
Mad Poster
#60 Old 24th Apr 2021 at 3:00 AM Last edited by PANDAQUEEN : 24th Apr 2021 at 3:36 AM.
Yesterday, I was able to put my hair up in dango buns and twintails (think similar to Sailor Moon's iconic hairstyle) and it was a first since my hair grew back.

Currently, my hair's texture is frizzed out to the point of steel wool. I had to use traditional hair ties because my special ones were in my room.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#61 Old 28th Apr 2021 at 1:27 AM
Mad Poster
#62 Old 29th Apr 2021 at 9:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy-noodles
Believing love after can exist after 40...

Is it the cider, or is "...I will never stop loving you Maggie...until the stars fall from the sky...until the world ends...until planets collide...and suns wither...until the moon is extinguished...and all the seas and rivers dry up...until I become senile...and my memory is eroded...until my tongue is no longer capable of uttering your name...until my heart beats for the last time...only then I might stop... I might stop loving you" not just the most beautiful thing ever?

...maybe just finding a TV programme that really moves you is rare...or I'm pissed, who knows :p

Actually, that block of text is about as romantic as it gets.

Scholar
#63 Old 29th Apr 2021 at 5:50 PM
It rained! Like proper stuff so it finally cooled down and the stupid muggy air went away and it didn't feel like wou were being crushed by stuff
Scholar
#64 Old 1st May 2021 at 1:17 AM
I was moaning to my friends about my terrible day at work, and that I was trying to do something on the system and got completely stuck, error messages and allsorts, and my friend just goes "Computer says No!"

It was really funny and got us all laughing, it's nice to be sociable again (even just a little bit)
Mad Poster
#65 Old 4th May 2021 at 2:05 AM
Black bean quesadilla with chipotle adobo flavored black beans

Earned $17 doing small favors around the house. Deposited the money into the bank.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#66 Old 4th May 2021 at 4:14 PM
Grocery order showed up early which is always appreciated; all the crap is put away.  If anybody orders online and finds you can't get some things that you want, try ordering earlier in the week. I used to have have groceries delivered on Wednesday, but there was a good chance that things would be missing due to being out of stock. Since changing the delivery day to Tuesday, I get all of what I order 99% of the time.

I spent a hour or so playing with plants as many of them were thirsty.  I've changed their fertilizer schedule from weekly to bi-weekly, they've responded well.  I like having a week of just giving them water as that is when all the excess salt and minerals is flushed out from the soil. I've done the same thing with the outdoor plants; they too are happy. Too much salt sticks to the roots which causes a plant to dehydrate... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyoUaJ2kICU

Speaking of plants, I found a peduncle ( this is where flowers develop and bloom from on Hoya) on the Hoya Wayetii.  I was surprised considering how beat up the plant is.  I didn't beat it up, it was another one of those the Etsy seller issues. I digress.  Since living with us and being cared for, it is shooting out new leaves and at least one peduncle  Some people say Hoya flowers smell like vanilla, others say they smell nasty. I have no idea, but I'm sure I'll mention it when mine decides to bloom.
Mad Poster
#67 Old 5th May 2021 at 4:14 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 5th May 2021 at 5:21 PM.
Already knew about his videos (they're amazing!), but found his Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCD...IGy64GIg/videos
If you need some quick cheering up, that's definitely the place to go!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#68 Old Yesterday at 6:57 PM
I found a couple more salvageable hosta.  They look much like the ones I transplanted last week ( like they got into a fight with a weed whacker) but I'm fairly confident they'll come back. The ones I moved last week are already starting to sprout new, healthy growth, including the two stems I put into a pot.

Once I get rid of all the Lily of the Valley in the yard, if I ever see it again, it will be too soon.

I was also given a earful by a momma robin.  She has a nest in a weird spot, so when I went to check on her nest ( I don't get too close, just enough to make sure the nest is there) she let me know that my peeking was not okay. LOL  I didn't know she was sitting on her nest. If I did, I wouldn't have gone to peek.  Once I removed myself from that part of the yard, she stopped cussing me out in robin speak and went back to her business.

Somebody has made a nest in the Japanese Maple. We've had a pair of cardinals hanging around, so that nest might belong to them. 
Page 3 of 3