Replies: 28 (Who?), Viewed: 395 times.
Page 2 of 2
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#26 Old 30th Apr 2021 at 10:43 PM

The cebu blue has arrived.  This plant gets its name from the blue sheen that is on the leaves as seen on the leaf on the right.  That leaf also has a hole in it for some reason, but other than that, it is really healthy. It has a solid root system and there new growth that should pop in a few days.

Cebu Blue also seems to be a mouthful for people in my house.  It isn't hard to say, they just insist on saying it fast; see-boo blue.  I suspect the name will be reduced to "boo" or "blue" in a few days.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#27 Old 2nd May 2021 at 3:42 PM

Awww...a little arrowhead.  Using auto correct for levels in Photoshop removes the obnoxious pink overtones from the grow lights.

The propagation box is giving me grief as I've never used this method before, so my stems are sitting on the counter being water propagated.  This has lead to ordering better propagation vessels as the ones I bought are terrible. If a stem is beefy in size, I can only fit one stem per vessel.  I'm not doing that, so I put in a order with Way Fair.  I ordered some stemless wine glasses and some tall, thin shot glasses.  The stemless wine glasses will be for the beefy stems like those from my Silver Satin and the shot glasses will be for vines or thin stems like those that are currently on the Silvery Anne.

I also came across the following video which is long, but provides some helpful tips and advice.  There are tons of videos about how to propagate plants, but none of them really offer problem solving.  They always come across as "Do this and the result will be this.." kind of thing.

The tip I've drawn from said video is wait until water roots appear via water propagation, then put the stems in the box.  She also goes on to talk about how to feed the stems while in the box, ect...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX8...plantparenthood
Screenshots
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#28 Old 3rd May 2021 at 6:31 PM Last edited by Gargoyle Cat : 3rd May 2021 at 8:59 PM.
My obnoxious English Ivy and equally obnoxious Lily of the Valley is mocking me.  The ivy alone has been sprayed 3 times and there is still way too much of it.  Because of this, I decided that instead of worrying about killing the hosta with spray ( clearly I need to be more heavy-handed than I have been) I would move them to one of the gardens in the front yard.

Last spring I had 7-8 hosta in a 3/4 moon shape around the tree stump in the backyard.  Today I was only able to find a hosta and barely a half of one. Both of them look like somebody was dancing all over them. They should be fine in a few weeks with lots of TLC and not being walked on.  If they decline or just up and fail, I'll buy new ones as I'm going to be buying hosta this year anyway.

The question is...what happened to the other ones.  There is zero evidence of them even being there and they were planted in that spot for over 5 years.  I don't know if it was the Lily Valley that completely choked them out, some critter destroyed them from under the soil; a combo of both?  I have no frickin' idea as I've never seen hosta disappear like that.

Since I'm in a digging / planting mood, I'm going to gather up all the lilies and get those in a garden so they won't be turned into mulch with the lawnmower. 

The only good thing from all of this other than possibly rescuing a couple of beat up plants is I'm almost finished with the stinky fish fertilizer and I used up the crappy cactus soil that doesn't drain and causes root rot. I could amend it so that it is less crappy for plants in the house, but I'm done looking at it.  It almost killed my Thanksgiving cactus with all of its sogginess, so it can be used up outside.

EDIT: What you are about to see is not cute, but it is what it is.

This is two stems of hosta that were left behind after I was done digging and planting this afternoon.  I was going to toss them out, but couldn't bring myself to do it.  One has a few roots, the other does not; I didn't make a mental note of which is which.   The leaf shred is what all the leaves look like on the hostas I moved today, blech.

I have this pot tucked in between the hostas I put into the ground today, we'll see if these make it or not.  There is no reason to think the one with the roots won't make it, however the one without roots may or may not end up rotting.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#29 Old Yesterday at 2:47 PM
I have been handed the task of converting somebodies work space into a jungle. They might regret that decision later, but for now, I'm growing things out to make it happen. I'm not using the prop box, I don't feel like dealing with it.  Instead I'm using orchid pots so I can see when these cuttings are ready to be bumped up a pot size and sent to their new home.

In the tray is: Cebu Blue ( this is not leaving until it is big and when I have a few plants from it), Pubicalyx Hoya ( not leaving the house), Philodendron Brasil, Golden Pothos and some Silvery Anne. What is not pictured because I ran out of space is a pot of Silver Satin cuttings.  They too are in a orchid pot and will be sent on their way when they are ready to go.
Screenshots
Page 2 of 2