Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Dec 2014 at 9:20 PM
Default roommates
I had a problem for some time with roommates not having an option available to propose marriage or move in. Actually "move in" doesn't make sense anyway; he ALREADY lives there. So how is that SUPPOSED to work?
NOW as soon as you agree to a roommate he shows up on the panel, but in not on the lot anywhere. With "control pets" on, nothing happens if I tell him to do anything. So I tried blender to "move in"; didn't seem to work. Moved them off lot; when put in new lot he WAS there - but still had the roommate panel. I read that is because he has a token, and someone else had no luck getting rid of it. Jeeze, I'm just trying to find a nice man to marry.
AND the mail box always stays regular (not apt). I read that apartments can conflict with CC - which I already have lots of conflict problems.
Help? Pity?

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 6th Dec 2014 at 9:35 PM
Sorry, but what? I'm confused as to what you did, in what order, and what happened. There's punctuation, but somehow that paragraph is very run-on-sentence to me. Maybe you could explain it again, but a bit more detailed and less... panic-y?

I've never tried to move in a roomie, so I have no idea if you are supposed to be able to or not. But I imagine the thread you are referring to was the one by Rosebine. Keep in mind that her situation was different, and involved community lots, dating and travel.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 6th Dec 2014 at 9:39 PM
Well first I'd try and figure out that mailbox problem, since playing in an apartment like that sounds problematic. Try with no CC and keep testing until you find the culprit. Is this even with downloaded or premade apartments?

The roommate problem, again, test in a no-CC game. But as I said on your last thread, roommates are bugged to hell anyway. I never use them any more.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Scholar
#4 Old 6th Dec 2014 at 9:53 PM
the roommate option basically brings a NPC townie into your game to help out with rent as long as you keep your apartment in good condition. propose move-in actually adds the roommate to the family.if you want to marry him you will have to add him to the family and then propose. this could be one of those goofy EA glitches, but that's how it has always worked in my game. unfortunately I don't know what is going on with the mailboxes never had the problem with my apartment lots.

Check out my simblr https://www.tumblr.com/blog/tbssimblr

Click the link, you know you want to. ;)
Instructor
#5 Old 6th Dec 2014 at 9:53 PM
With the mailbox problem - do you have the mailbox from dream a little dream i think its called? Cause i accidently installed it with a lot i downloaded and my apartment mailboxes were all the wrong ones as well. The only way i could fix it was to download their apartment mailbox and then they became the right one. I cant delete it cause i cant find it anywhere in my downloads cause its just numbers.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#6 Old 7th Dec 2014 at 11:32 PM
gummilutt: Haha..sorry. I had her call for a roommate. She got a return call and agreed to the roommate. His picture showed up in the family thing, but he never showed up anywhere. I did "boolprop controlpets on" - which lets you control roommates, but telling him to "go here" (thinking he was hiding somewhere) didn't produce him. Days passed - he was getting in the red. So I used a hack object ..(can't remember what it's called - looks like a plant in a pot- does things like age up, change relationships, move in) to move him in. Still no roommate. So I moved them out (they both are on the lot picture) and he was actually THERE - but still a roommate, so I can't figure out if he really "moved in", as in a real member of the family, or was somehow a "roommate" on a regular residential lot.

fearless; I don't know if it's just the lots I build - have to check that out. I did have some "replacement" mailboxes, including one intended to college lots - but I took them out thinking they were a problem.

Mad Poster
#7 Old 8th Dec 2014 at 12:49 AM
Yeah..former roommate, moved into a lot , but still is a roommate according to his thumbnail in the UI...me got that, and me ended up putting a backup of that hood, considering that my hood started showing signs of corruption..
I hope you can get it fixed.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#8 Old 8th Dec 2014 at 10:20 AM
Yea, even the pre-made apt lots show a residential mail box when I move someone in. I tried a roommate in a couple; same problem - roommate never shows up. Just as well, his needs became totally red! And another thing (OMG): tried a male controllable in 2 lots - ALL of the other apt tenants that were generated were male, and all the prospective roommates. Jeez...and the whole reason I was trying to get a roommate was to see if they would kill themselves if I told them to swim or study something (by continuing until they starved),
Rosebine: a roommate that still has the "roommate" on their control panel just has a TOKEN. In the past (it is not happening now) if a person had a roommate and I extracted the family, the roommate came to. But I can't remember if they STAYED a roommate.

Née whiterider
retired moderator
#9 Old 8th Dec 2014 at 10:26 AM
Butterfly, since it was installed with a lot the mailbox should be in the root of your Downloads folder (not in any of your subfolders), so it should be fairly quick and easy to find it using Clean Installer or Delphy's Download Organiser.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 8th Dec 2014 at 1:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by grammapat
Rosebine: a roommate that still has the "roommate" on their control panel just has a TOKEN. In the past (it is not happening now) if a person had a roommate and I extracted the family, the roommate came to. But I can't remember if they STAYED a roommate.

Yes. I deleted the token in SimPE, but nothing worked. as we speak, he is still a roommate, living on his own, in my "corrupted" game.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#11 Old 9th Dec 2014 at 1:09 AM
Um, WTF. Can't find an explanation of what is NORMAL apartment roommate action. And lots of the "normal" stuff doesn't make sense anyway, like: when serving a meal, they put food on the table outside. If on a date with another resident, the resident will wander off - even going into their apartment where your sim can't go! You can't call them on the phone, and they often won't answer their door, so it's hard to make friends with them.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#12 Old 9th Dec 2014 at 1:46 AM
I've only done the roommate thing twice. All that I can tell is normal is that they are on a separate branch to the left panel and are uncontrollable. If you see them on a community one and make them selectable they come up the same way as a separate branch and still uncontrollable. I've never tried to move one in.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#13 Old 9th Dec 2014 at 9:14 AM
Yeah; roomates are just coded badly to begin with.

Have you tried testing in a mod free environment yet? That would tell you what normal roommate behaviour is. Just create a whole new TS2 folder by renaming your current one.

Mad Poster
#14 Old 9th Dec 2014 at 3:05 PM
Gramma, the thing with apartment neighbors (and dormies) is that they're coded to go into their own spaces when their needs sink below a certain point. If you want to have a decent date or visit you need to take them to a community lot.

Normal roommate behavior is very similar to normal uncontrolled behavior. They respond to their needs and to the advertising values of items on the lot and follow routing protocols that made sense at the code level but aren't flexible enough to deal with a lot of layouts in the most efficient way. They also have a satisfaction meter which represents how happy they are with their living arrangements, and are coded both to go to work and to randomly leave the lot to "run errands." I don't think I've ever seen one bring somebody home from work or have any tangible results (like groceries) from those errands, but then I've only had two roommates.

When a roommate, a dormie, or an apartment neighbor agrees to "move in," the NPC should become a PC and join the household, just like any other townie. I've done this twice, no muss no fuss. You definitely need to troubleshoot that. The most probable culprit is a malfunctioning mod, one that wasn't updated for AL, or the clash of two mods that don't work and play well together. If there's game, neighborhood, or character corruption, all bets are off; but give it a chance to be simple and test your mods first.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Instructor
#15 Old 10th Dec 2014 at 12:34 AM Last edited by Fearless Butterfly : 10th Dec 2014 at 1:25 AM.
I downloaded delphy's download organiser and deleted all the recolour of mailboxes and any reference to mailboxes that i could find but they are still there when i load the game. Then i tried Clean Installer and managed to find them in there. Thanks Nysha!!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#16 Old 10th Dec 2014 at 1:31 PM
Thanks Peni: I just went through the whole 50/50 process (for OTHER problems) and found a few conflicting mods (both of which are common behavioral mods & have no idea what WAS conflicting). Since THIS problem involves more in-depth trials, I'm not sure how to go about it. So just a quick question; if it's a behave mod that is wonky, is the conflict going to be with another behave mod? or could it be, say, a piece of furniture?
And to rule out other corruption (like the whole hood omg), I could use that "create a hood" mod - but I don't have it anymore. Something like "any hood maker"; if anyone knows what I'm talking about, do you know what it's actually called? I'll look for it anyway.

Mad Poster
#17 Old 10th Dec 2014 at 2:19 PM
Anygamestarter. But you don't need to do that, just start a new neighbourhood in the neighbourhood load screen. Or if you want to test without worrying about your current hood, just rename your The Sims 2 folder in Documents/EA Games. I have four which I use to swap out different mod combinations, and one is a "vanilla" testing area.

Go through the game help FAQ, it's really comprehensive. But the way I do this step (which isn't the first step) is by using a test hood, I recreate the situation I'm having trouble with. So in this case plop down an apartment lot, have a throwaway CAS sim move in and find a roommate in the newspaper, phone or computer. When the roommate has moved in, cheat or play until their relationship is high enough to "move in" for real, but don't ask to move in yet. Now save and quit. Now you can pull out half of your CC, all of your CC or put in the two mods you want to test or whatever. Now load the game and try to have your sim ask the roomie to move in. Note the results. Quit WITHOUT saving this time. Put in a different combo of CC, test again, note results, quit without saving. Repeat until you find either the problem mod or a solution which it works properly in.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#18 Old 10th Dec 2014 at 2:30 PM
simsgreq: and since my problem ALSO includes the apt mailbox reverting to residential (even on pre-made apartments), I will START with removing "likely" mods, plopping down an apartment. Repeat until I get THAT part fixed. THEN will try the roommate stuff.

I DID find the anygamestarter; I want to try an apartment there with NO CC, to see what roommates (ETC!) are really supposed to do.

Mad Poster
#19 Old 10th Dec 2014 at 5:14 PM
But you can just do that by renaming your Sims 2 folder :S you don't need to use AGS for that.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#20 Old 10th Dec 2014 at 5:20 PM
Could not get anygame to install; research shows huge amounts problems/fixes, so won't be using that. OK, so rename Sims2 folder - doesn't this just force the game to create NEW hoods (ALL of them)? Is this just so the hood I test with is not corrupted? Wouldn't just creating a new hood work? And after trying THAT, I'm sure I would still be back to removing the whole Downloads folder and going through that long process of elimination