Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Jun 2015 at 2:23 AM
Default Can you make sims into social class townies?
I found a mod to make them behave like they belong to a social class, but is there a way to get a sim to be a real social class townie?
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 19th Jun 2015 at 2:28 AM
Give one of these to a townie, maybe? http://www.modthesims.info/d/310786

esmeiolanthe's Live Journal and Tumblr
Most recent story update: Fuchs That! on 2/21/15
Field Researcher
#4 Old 19th Jun 2015 at 3:15 AM
It works well. You just have to make sure you don't put two different tokens in a sim's inventory at the same time, or else it they won't work anymore for that sim.

Edit: Also, if you look at the last page of comments for the download, BoilingOil has made a mod that improves the autonomy of sims using the gestures that works in tandem with Marhis' mod.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 19th Jun 2015 at 5:43 PM
Yeah I've found both of them, but they don't actually make them social class townies, do they?
I'd like to add my own sims to those so they will also appear as random neighbours in apartment buildings. I looked for a SimPE tutorial but couldn't find anything, so I wonder if it's even possible.
Field Researcher
#6 Old 19th Jun 2015 at 6:09 PM
You should make them townies with Inge's teleporter and use Townie Apartment Residents. http://cyjon.net/node/220 In my opinion regular townies are better than social group townies because the social group townies will only walk by lots of a certain "class" which basically amounts to size and number of objects. Because I favor small lots if I were to have social groups there would be a lot of sims that I would almost never see. And regular townies can also give you the networking/reputation perks just like AL townies.
Forum Resident
#7 Old 19th Jun 2015 at 7:30 PM
Maybe you can either:

1. If you have Seasons, make friends with the townie and use Give Gift to gift the respective item into their inventory.

2. Make them selectable with testingcheats, Sim Blender, Inge's Teleporter, or any like mod. Then put the item into their inventory.

I haven't tried either (I just now downloaded the mod.) But these are my ideas.

And I second lella27: I have a Townie Apt. Residents mod and clean templates, so I doubt any social group townies get made in my game. But the regular townies give me networking/reputation perks just like social group townies do.

~Someday my prince will come... And he better not bring all his hood's character files with him.~
@)->----- Place this ASCII flower in your sig as a thank you to all of our amazing moderators at MTS!
TS3 vs. Your CPU: The Solution
Shameless plug for my fledgeling Simblr here
Mad Poster
#8 Old 19th Jun 2015 at 9:29 PM
There's definitely a way, but if it's accessible to us or not I don't know. Most people don't like social group townies, so I imagine the information about it may be scarce.

I would dig around in SimPE on Sims you know are a certain group. Perhaps there is a token somewhere in memories?

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 19th Jun 2015 at 9:57 PM
How can you not like a bunch of weirdos that have their own secret greeting gestures? xD

I don't think I have enough of a clue about SimPE to know when I find something.
There's 2 tokens they all seem to have, but it also appears on other sims...?
Forum Resident
#10 Old 19th Jun 2015 at 10:23 PM
Some NPCs (like Diva, slob, professor, etc.) have NPC types somewhere in SimPE. (Can't remember what it's called.) Those determine their actions. Even when they are moved in, they will continue those actions. Maybe the social group townies have those NPC types. If they do, would it be possible to manually edit a sim's NPC type to make them a social group townie?

~Someday my prince will come... And he better not bring all his hood's character files with him.~
@)->----- Place this ASCII flower in your sig as a thank you to all of our amazing moderators at MTS!
Instructor
#11 Old 19th Jun 2015 at 10:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gummilutt
There's definitely a way, but if it's accessible to us or not I don't know. Most people don't like social group townies, so I imagine the information about it may be scarce.

I would dig around in SimPE on Sims you know are a certain group. Perhaps there is a token somewhere in memories?

You do not need to add a token. SimPE can add and remove sims from groups. If you add a sim to the correct family they will automagically pick up the relevant greeting.
Gearheads = (0x7FE3)
Bohemians = (0x7FE2)
Jocks = (0x7FE1)
Techies = (0x7FE0)
Socialites = (0x7FDF)
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#12 Old 20th Jun 2015 at 7:06 PM
OK I found 2 things that look right to me... do I have to use the add button on the right household under "Family Information", or do I change the "family instance" in the sim's Sim Description, or doesn't it make a difference, or...?

And, random question: Can I safely rename the households? For example I'd like to name the social class households after their class to make things clearer for me, or the townie and downtownie households. Every time I use the teleporter or I wanna make changes in SimPE, I need to look up what's what again... ._.
Instructor
#13 Old 20th Jun 2015 at 9:52 PM
What I did was to select Family Information, then select the name of the sim I wanted to add to that family, from the drop down list to the right, then click the "Add" button.

Then save.
Then I also selected the sim's previous family. Then I removed him/her from that family. Then I saved again.
Not sure if the second step is necessary but I wanted to be on the safe side.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#14 Old 21st Jun 2015 at 1:40 AM
Okay thanks. Just confused me that he still was listed in the old household and was a little afraid I broke something ._.
Instructor
#15 Old 21st Jun 2015 at 11:07 AM Last edited by fruitsymphony : 23rd Jun 2015 at 6:55 AM.
It's always best to backup the neighborhood before changing anything with SimPE. I should have mentioned that.

Quote: Originally posted by Skae2.0
Can I safely rename the households? For example I'd like to name the social class households after their class to make things clearer for me, or the townie and downtownie households. Every time I use the teleporter or I wanna make changes in SimPE, I need to look up what's what again... ._.

In my neighborhood, I edited the name so the Gearheads family are now called "Gearheads" etc, actually I'm not sure whether it is safe or not.
But I'm almost 100 % sure that it's ok to add and remove family members, also for townie families.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 21st Jun 2015 at 11:28 AM
If you just want them as apartment neighbours, Cyjon's mod seems the best thing to do. The lot class thing is all screwed up anyway, so it's hard to make them work correctly. What I do is just wait and see who shows up as neighbours, and then make them over so that they fit the "class" of that apartment area anyway.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#17 Old 21st Jun 2015 at 2:06 PM
I don't really care if the class fits... I want the social class townies to be my neighbours and I'd still like to add some.
I'm just gonna try it now. (And don't worry about my backups fruitsymphony, I had my bad experiences and double check for that xD)
Scholar
#18 Old 21st Jun 2015 at 9:19 PM
Maybe it's because I bought Apartment Life for no other reason to complete my TS2 collection and I don't think I ever played it at all because I bought TS3 at the same time. Once I got TS3, I didn't even look at TS2 at all until TS4 came out. So I never played the social classes or the reputation thing when it was new to my game. But I need to ask...

What is the point of the social class and reputation system? I have access to all the social class greetings, but I almost never use them. Townies don't seem to care whether or not I use the 'correct' one with them. And maybe it's because my sims usually own businesses and interact a lot with all the townies, but my sims are all at the top of the celebrity status reputation before they become adults without even trying.

I don't get it at all. Am I missing out on something cool here? What are we supposed to be doing with the social class sims?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#19 Old 21st Jun 2015 at 9:27 PM
Nothing, they're pretty useless. I only find them funny. As far as I know, they're there to be your random neighbours and apart from that, they're normal townies which are collected in little themed groups who have funny greetings...

Actually, I never even noticed them. I thought it was funny how some sims were behaving quite silly and I only know it's "social class" townies because I read it somewhere. The only reason I want to know this stuff is so I can choose a group of sims who moves into the apartments.
Scholar
#20 Old 21st Jun 2015 at 10:16 PM
I think Pescado has a mod that lets townies move in apartments instead of social groupies
Theorist
#21 Old 21st Jun 2015 at 11:30 PM
Mod is by Cyjon: http://cyjon.net/node/220
Forum Resident
#22 Old 22nd Jun 2015 at 12:21 AM
If you still want social class townies, I found an easier way than anything I've seen. It doesn't even need a mod!

http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/NPC_and_Townie_Maker

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#23 Old 22nd Jun 2015 at 11:28 PM
Ooooh, I forgot about the townie maker! Good to know.
Mad Poster
#24 Old 23rd Jun 2015 at 9:11 AM
Kewpie - they are totally pointless and stupid. I thought it would be that your sim could assimilate into a social group, which might have been fun, perhaps with secret locations and everything, but either they didn't think of that or they ran out of time.

Instead you get a bunch of default-face-template sims running around with the same three hairs and two outfits for each type <exaggerated, but it feels like it>, shoehorned into every hood. Annoying.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...