Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#26 Old 8th Mar 2021 at 1:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
After searching, right-click the line where it says "name", "Date modified", "Type", etc. and tick "Folder". Drag this out so you can see the whole folder path of the missing file.

Also, search for just the name of one of the missing files, so you get any and all instances of that file, and not a heap of all the files that look a bit like it. It could clue you in to where the missing files have gone, if they still are on your computer.

--

But sincerely - I have like at least 10 different copies of my downloads folder(s). From before I started sorting, a few from after I started sorting, and some from while I've been sorting and recategorizing and poking at it. Backups... Never know when you'll need them, because sometimes things go wrong (I guess at least ten crashes from the recategorizing, but hoping not )

I only have two hairs from random uncertainty. Peggy 310 nymphy and xm 34 nymphy. I have 3 recolors that are fine, but 27 files show up in the search including the colors that work fine.
The folder path is C:\Users\my name\Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Downloads\hair
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#27 Old 8th Mar 2021 at 2:54 AM
If this is a case of deleted files still showing up when searched for, this can sometimes happen if you have a HDD. It could be due to the temporary files still showing up. I often had the issue on my older computers that had regular harddrives - after moving or deleting the files they would still show in searches for a while, but on my new laptop with a SSD I don't think I've seen it happen in similar situations. HDDs save files somewhat different than SSDs do.

A Disc Cleanup can potentially help a bit. It gets rid of temporary files and such (click Windows icon, write "Disc cleanup").

If you often let your computer run for days, a reboot can help.

If you have a HDD, defragmentation could potentially also help (this should NOT be done on a SSD and probably not on a hybrid SHDD either, but research if you have the latter one). HDDs save files fragmented wherever there's room, and defragmentation puzzles things back together, so to speak. If the HDD is getting a bit old and you haven't done this in a while, it could be a good idea to do this anyway.

Unless the files are still somehow on your computer, there's probably no way to restore them. If you're lucky, maybe someone has them - maybe try the WCIF area?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#28 Old 8th Mar 2021 at 4:08 AM
If this is a case of deleted files still showing up when searched for, this can sometimes happen if you have a HDD. It could be due to the temporary files still showing up. I often had the issue on my older computers that had regular harddrives - after moving or deleting the files they would still show in searches for a while, but on my new laptop with a SSD I don't think I've seen it happen in similar situations. HDDs save files somewhat different than SSDs do.

A Disc Cleanup can potentially help a bit. It gets rid of temporary files and such (click Windows icon, write "Disc cleanup").

If you often let your computer run for days, a reboot can help.

If you have a HDD, defragmentation could potentially also help (this should NOT be done on a SSD and probably not on a hybrid SHDD either, but research if you have the latter one). HDDs save files fragmented wherever there's room, and defragmentation puzzles things back together, so to speak. If the HDD is getting a bit old and you haven't done this in a while, it could be a good idea to do this anyway.

Unless the files are still somehow on your computer, there's probably no way to restore them. If you're lucky, maybe someone has them - maybe try the WCIF area?

I think the files have been deleted too,but I've never deleted or move them. They probably got deleted, when I had to hold the power button to get my computer to shut down a few times due to my sims 2 crashing during the loading screen of exiting CAS.
I have made a post to GOS and the packrat for the missing files.
Thank you for trying to help.
Mad Poster
#29 Old 8th Mar 2021 at 1:30 PM
It's a bit more likely that files in the process of being saved or files storing information to be saved get corrupted or deleted (files in the Neighborhood folders), than random downloads, though. It sounds a bit strange.

Have you checked if your antivirus program has quarantined any of the files?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#30 Old 8th Mar 2021 at 2:22 PM
It looks to me like there's an error in your indexing, Windows thinks something is there when it isn't. To fix this you'd need to rebuild your indexing (you'll have to google for that as I don't have a Win 8.1 setup to take screenshots). If you turn off indexing for your Documents folder and search again, you should see that the files aren't in the search result. Where they actually are though I can't tell you; most obvious places to look would be your Recycle bin, and also other folders within your Downloads folder as it's easy to drag things. I can't imagine that the antivirus would have quarantined a few package files though, but anything's possible so worth a look.
Mad Poster
#31 Old 8th Mar 2021 at 5:36 PM
@simsample -That virus software quarentining files is something I've heard of and I had it happen once with TS3 when I first started playing it and my anti-virus program got into where it shouldn't have and flagged some files as harmful and deleted them.It was TS3 Mods and the framework being deleted by virus software.I've heard of that happening with AVG just before I quit using that and switched programs.
I do often shot my computer down at least once every other day of not daily and hibernate it other times when I'm away from it for any length of time.I also back my TS2 folder up often in case something like this ever happens.
Mad Poster
#32 Old 8th Mar 2021 at 6:03 PM
The indexing problem is actually quite likely. I think that's what happened to my files (but my files weren't deleted, just moved - they just kept showing up in the searches). Haven't had it happen on my new laptop, so it's possible the indexing is turned off by default in Win10 (not sure, but it's not been a problem). The folder system setup seems to have changed a bit with Windows 10 (not much for the better, though).

As for where the files went, that's the mystery.

If you don't want this to happen in the future, make sure you have backups of your files (away from your computer, because computers can break). Few things are more annoying when simming than losing files into the void and not getting them back.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#33 Old 8th Mar 2021 at 8:38 PM
The indexing problem is actually quite likely.
Yes, it's the only likely way I can think of for files that aren't there to show up in a search.
Quote: Originally posted by TadOlson
That virus software quarentining files is something I've heard of and I had it happen once with TS3

Yes, it happens very often for me (not for Sims files though- I do a lot of file transferring) but I don't see why some package files would be quarantined and not all (there wouldn't be much difference between the files, so a false positive would logically apply to the whole folder full). So I think it far more likely that the files were inadvertently dragged somewhere or, most probable, deleted in-game (as this would not have updated the Windows Index).
Alchemist
#34 Old 8th Mar 2021 at 10:55 PM
To see if the files got moved elsewhere, I would recommend using a file finder program to search your computer. If Windows isn't indexing your folders properly, you'll have trouble using explorer to find files.

I currently use FileLocator Pro. It's not amazing or anything, but it gets the job done. I don't even use Windows Explorer to search my downloads anymore. Perhaps by using such a program, you can figure out where the files went, if they're truly gone, etc.

"Thinking of you, wherever you are. We pray for our sorrows to end, and hope that our hearts will blend." - Kingdom Hearts

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
aka Kelyns | she/her
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#35 Old 8th Mar 2021 at 11:50 PM Last edited by blooddiamondrose2 : 9th Mar 2021 at 12:05 AM.
I checked defender for quarantine files and nothing was in it. I got a portable wizfile and the only files it found were the 3 existing recolors I have. None of missing files show up.
Alchemist
#36 Old 9th Mar 2021 at 5:58 AM
It's so weird that your files just disappeared. Do you have a restore point for your computer? You could try a system restore to try and recover your files. I'd backup first if you've made any significant changes to your computer recently.

"Thinking of you, wherever you are. We pray for our sorrows to end, and hope that our hearts will blend." - Kingdom Hearts

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
aka Kelyns | she/her
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#37 Old 9th Mar 2021 at 7:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Phantomknight
It's so weird that your files just disappeared. Do you have a restore point for your computer? You could try a system restore to try and recover your files. I'd backup first if you've made any significant changes to your computer recently.

I'm not sure if a system restore will work, since I have no idea when they went missing. I haven't really look into my hair folder in a while, except to add new hairs to it.
Alchemist
#38 Old 9th Mar 2021 at 12:48 PM
Ok. I suggested it because it could help restore your files, but if you don't know when things went wrong, it might not be worth it.

aka Kelyns | she/her
Page 2 of 2