Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Feb 2021 at 10:40 PM
Default For Some Reason, A Short Skirt Won't Download...
I don't know where to go with this, but I'm trying to download a short skirt mesh from here, as it's required for a downloaded sim's skirt to appear correctly. For some reason, nothing happens when I click download.

Apparently, I'm not the only one with this issue, as there were two comments bringing up the same thing. In addition, every other CC/Mod I've downloaded works still, it's just this. Is there a way I can get around this, or do I have to just not have the downloaded sim look accurate to their in-game counterpart?

When a game is predictable, it's boring.
That goes for any medium that isn't life.
That's why The Sims 2 is my favourite sims game.
It has elements of unpredictability and everything feels more involved.
The Sims 4 is another story altogether...
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 22nd Feb 2021 at 10:49 PM
Mad Poster
#3 Old 22nd Feb 2021 at 11:34 PM
Not sure but is this the same mesh with changed value?
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#4 Old 22nd Feb 2021 at 11:47 PM
I just downloaded the one linked by Annaminna and it has a mesh included. Hopefully, it's the same mesh. I'll check now.

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#5 Old 23rd Feb 2021 at 12:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CrystalFlame360
I just downloaded the one linked by Annaminna and it has a mesh included. Hopefully, it's the same mesh. I'll check now.

Sorry for the double post, it won't let me edit my previous post for some reason

So the mesh from the link I downloaded doesn't work, the skirt that came with the sim just displays as broken. I was thinking, could the reason be due to the fact that the texture is pointing to a mesh that doesn't exist, like it's named specifically. Would it be possible to somehow change what mesh the texture points to in SimPE, or am I being ridiculous?

Forum Resident
#6 Old 23rd Feb 2021 at 12:29 AM Last edited by HobbesED : 23rd Feb 2021 at 7:13 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by CrystalFlame360
Sorry for the double post, it won't let me edit my previous post for some reason

So the mesh from the link I downloaded doesn't work, the skirt that came with the sim just displays as broken. I was thinking, could the reason be due to the fact that the texture is pointing to a mesh that doesn't exist, like it's named specifically. Would it be possible to somehow change what mesh the texture points to in SimPE, or am I being ridiculous?

I did something similar long, long ago when I had a mesh that had no clothing associated with it and I wanted to make some to use that mesh. I documented what I did in case I had to do it again. This should still work.

EDIT: IGNORE STEP ONE...I just realized that since it's "broken" to begin with, you can't make a copy of it in BodyShop. Simply make a copy of the original file elsewhere. You can't have both texture files in your game at the same time. Loading order would then determine which was actually used. My original problem had a mesh with no texture so I needed to make a new texture file associated with that mesh without impacting the original texture file.
1. If you don't want to save the original mesh/texture combo (the one that isn't working) then skip to step 2 although I'd probably still save a copy of the original file just in case. If you want to preserve the original (in case you later find the exact mesh) then Open BodyShop, Create new clothing, find the texture you want to put on the new mesh, name it and import it to the game. (Right now it will just be a duplicate of the existing package but you will change that to use the new mesh.) It will be stored in the Saved Sims folder. Close BodyShop.

2. Open the mesh that you want to attach the texture to in SimPE. The rest of the instructions are found in the Beginning Clothing Mesh Tutorial by TiggeryPum at MTS2 -- http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=142305 starting at step 19 in Part III - Building Your New Mesh Package. Extract the cres (Resource Node) and shpe (Shape) files.

3. Then continue with steps 20-28 in Part IV - Attaching Your New Mesh to the Temp Skin. In step 20 you open with SimPE the package that you put in Saved Sims (or the original one if you decided to work directly on it).

The tutorial is very good with pictures and explanations of what to do. In essence, you take the Resource Node and Shape files from the existing mesh, and replace the ones in the texture with those.

All of my Conversions, Creations and Stories may be found here:
HobbesED's Conversions and Creations

My most recently shared items (with pictures) may also be found here:
HobbesED's Dreamwidth

Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#7 Old 24th Feb 2021 at 10:00 AM
@simsample Thanks for the mention.  I checked into it, and the original creator was somehow deleted, but the files and threads still existed.  I've restored a basic user profile for that creator, and thus, the file is now downloadable.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#8 Old 24th Feb 2021 at 10:43 AM
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#9 Old 24th Feb 2021 at 11:59 AM
I was in the process of trying to wrap my head around the tutorial, then I see that this thread has been updated. Thank you!

Forum Resident
#10 Old 24th Feb 2021 at 2:09 PM
Great! Glad Tashiketh was able to restore the file for downloading. It's a whole lot easier using the original mesh for the texture than copying a different mesh's SHPE and CRES resources into the texture.

All of my Conversions, Creations and Stories may be found here:
HobbesED's Conversions and Creations

My most recently shared items (with pictures) may also be found here:
HobbesED's Dreamwidth