Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Mar 2020 at 7:44 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2
Default Create-A-Family & Neighborhood Households Won't Load
So I have just the base game for The Sims 2 right now(it's the physical, 4 disc-cd version). The game loads up fine and the neighborhoods load up fine. Here's where I'm having issues:

If I try to go to Create-A-Family, it will just stay on the loading screen forever until I force close the game. It doesn't necessarily crash or freeze, and I don't even get a 'Not Responding' message. It basically just stays on the normal loading screen with the normal loading bar, but without ever actually loading. I have the same exact issue if I try to play a already created family in the neighborhood. I click on the household, select to play them, and then I'm on a never ending loading screen.

I've tried running the game as an administrator, I've tried running the game in compatibility mode, I've updated my drivers, I've installed the graphics rules fix, and I've patched the game. So far absolutely nothing is working to fix this problem.

I'm homing that maybe someone here has had this same issue and found a way to resolve it
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 15th Mar 2020 at 12:34 PM
Do you have any CC? Either in your Download folder or in the Saved Sims folder? If you do, make a back up then remove the cc to your desktop and try running the game without it. Most times it is CC that you have to find and remove.

If you have none try renaming the Sims 2 folder and running the game. It will make you a new one.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 15th Mar 2020 at 9:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Do you have any CC? Either in your Download folder or in the Saved Sims folder? If you do, make a back up then remove the cc to your desktop and try running the game without it. Most times it is CC that you have to find and remove.

If you have none try renaming the Sims 2 folder and running the game. It will make you a new one.

Thank you for the suggestion, but I just tried that and it unfortunately didn't work and I also don't have any custom content

At this point, I think I'm just gonna try uninstalling and reinstalling the game.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 16th Mar 2020 at 6:40 AM
So I uninstalled and then reinstalled the game, patched it and then tried to play. Now the game itself won't even start. I get the little white screen pop up with 'The Sims 2' logo for a few seconds, then it goes away and the game never starts up.

I ended up following the guide here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/...=h.908tav8n70jh , which includes pretty much everything I've already tried + a few more steps. That didn't fix it because the game still wouldn't start up.

Just now I tried setting it up to be in windowed mode, compatibility mode and run as administrator mode. None of those things have fixed the issue.

At this point I'm really at a loss for how to get this game to work.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 17th Mar 2020 at 5:12 AM
Does anyone have any other suggestions? I have no idea what else to try.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 17th Mar 2020 at 7:30 AM
Were you sure no files remained when you uninstalled? We only recommend uninstalling as a last resort as any leftover file can royally mess up a new installation.

If you are trying DXVK you will want the thread on that, here in the sticky threads.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 18th Mar 2020 at 8:06 AM
Were you sure no files remained when you uninstalled? We only recommend uninstalling as a last resort as any leftover file can royally mess up a new installation.

If you are trying DXVK you will want the thread on that, here in the sticky threads.

I thought I was pretty thorough, but it's always possible I missed something. I'll keep trying. Thank you so much!!!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 18th Mar 2020 at 8:31 AM
https://modthesims.info/wiki.php?ti..._Help:Uninstall

I followed this entire guide step-by-step (plus a few extra precautions I found). It's really late, so I'll try a fresh install tomorrow. I'll edit in an update on what happens.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 19th Mar 2020 at 4:47 PM

Thank youuu!! I uninstalled and completely wiped anything sim related from my computer and so far things are working fine. The game is loading up & my original problem with households and Create-A-Family is fixed.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 23rd Mar 2020 at 6:31 AM
UPDATE:

Okay, this is extremely frustrating.

I got the base game patch from this page: https://modthesims.info/wiki.php?ti...elp:TS2_Patches ,downloaded it and installed it. Now my game is giving me the same exact issues I had in the first place (Create-A-Family and Households not loading). Did the patch essentially break my game?
Instructor
#11 Old 23rd Mar 2020 at 7:16 PM
You are meant to patch as you are installing each disc. So install base game then patch it, install uni then patch it, install nightlife then patch it etc
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 23rd Mar 2020 at 9:19 PM
I don't have any expansion packs though. I only have the 4 disc base game.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 24th Mar 2020 at 1:18 PM
Make sure you're getting the right patch. There is one patch for the CD version of the base game and a different patch for the DVD version. If you have 4 disks, you have the CD version of the game. (I have the DVD version of the base game and it only uses one disk.)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#14 Old 24th Mar 2020 at 11:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by RoxEllen1965
Make sure you're getting the right patch. There is one patch for the CD version of the base game and a different patch for the DVD version. If you have 4 disks, you have the CD version of the game. (I have the DVD version of the base game and it only uses one disk.)

This ^ Make sure you are using the CD patch.

Shame you didn't get the UC when it was on offer. You can still get disks cheaply off eBay.

~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 25th Mar 2020 at 6:16 AM
I've tested it out a few times now, and basically what keeps happening is this:

When I have the 4 disc basegame installed without the patch(I did use the CD patch), I didn't have the issue of Create-A-Family and Households not loading.

When I have the 4 disc basegame installed WITH the patch, I can't get Households or Create-A-Family to work.

I'm guessing this is a Windows 10 issue? Since people seem to have trouble getting this game to run on Windows 10 in general.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#16 Old 25th Mar 2020 at 7:14 AM
Perhaps, that sounds very odd. I don't think I have seen anyone trying to install just the CD version of the base game. If you can I would grab up all the others on eBay.

~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
#17 Old 23rd Oct 2020 at 12:37 PM
Default I have the same problem
I've the same problems as you describe. Did you find a solution?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#18 Old 23rd Oct 2020 at 1:55 PM
Just to check, are you using this patch for the 4-disk CD basegame?
I have the four disk install on my computer (Win 10), I have all EPs and SPs installed too but am able to play the basegame only through the Anygame mod. Not the same, but I don't think it's an issue specifically with that patch or the basegame CAS.
Field Researcher
#19 Old 23rd Oct 2020 at 11:05 PM
I only experience the infinite loading screen issue if my patches crash. Check your objects.package files in TSData\Res\Objects\ (they are likely to corrupt during a patch). If you have a file in there with an extension other than .package, or two files, one of which is small in size (or empty), you will need to re-apply your patches. Download GrumpyLoader and patches for the packs that you have, and install the patches with GrumpyLoader. Launch GrumpyLoader, click Open in the top left corner, find the appropriate patches and run them. If you get an error, tell it to IGNORE the error and continue.