Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Dec 2021 at 8:11 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Can't download Chris Hatch's skiing mod from Smorbie's thread
I'm sending my snotty rich sim kids to University in Switzerland, of all lah-de-dah things, so I really want to download Chris Hatch's skiing mod (from Smorbie's thread) to round out the neighborhood. But when I hit "Download" in SFS it shows me the pop-up "How do you want to open this file?" The options to do that are 'Notepad', or 'Look for an app in the Microsoft Store.' It won't just let me 'extract' it as usual, so I'm stumped.

I'm able to read the .odt file, and I was really happy to see that it was the ReadMe page for this mod.

I know I had this mod years ago, on my old computer (and I was even less tech-savvy then than I am now, if you can believe it!) but I don't remember having any trouble getting it into my game. Am I doing something wrong? Or perhaps there's a trick or an extra step to get it to work? Any help you can give me will be appreciated!

I PM'd Smorbie about this early yesterday but got no reply, so I checked and it said his "Last Activity" was in May 2021, so I guess he's gone for a while. That's when I decided to start a thread of my own. I hope it's in the right category.
Advertisement
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#2 Old 7th Dec 2021 at 8:34 PM

That's what I get when I download. (Since I have SimPE installed it looks like that.) The only thing I'd need to do is click to save the file. (And since all my download save in a downloads folder, I'd need to move it to the Sims 2 Downloads, of course.)

I'm sure all you need to do is the same thing.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 8th Dec 2021 at 2:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mustluvcatz

That's what I get when I download. (Since I have SimPE installed it looks like that.) The only thing I'd need to do is click to save the file. (And since all my download save in a downloads folder, I'd need to move it to the Sims 2 Downloads, of course.)

I'm sure all you need to do is the same thing.

I didn't get anything that looked like that, so I downloaded Firefox and tried it from there. Voila! It told me it had saved it to ThisPC>Downloads. So I went there and found several copies of CJH_skiing in that downloads folder! From all my aggravated attempts yesterday, I suppose (using Bing and Google Chrome). I know I've run into that problem before, and usually I just give up and move on. Now I'll know where to look. Thanks, @mustluvcatz! You've saved the day.
Alchemist
#4 Old 9th Dec 2021 at 4:30 AM
Just fyi @Laurcleve, check the file extension of what you were downloading. From MLC's picture, I'd say that you were downloading a package file, and not a rar or zip, etc., and so there was no need to extract it--you just needed to move it to your Downloads folder. That would be why your computer was asking you what to open it with. If you had set .package files to open with simPE, then it would have been opened up in SimPE directly.

"Thinking of you, wherever you are. We pray for our sorrows to end, and hope that our hearts will blend." - Kingdom Hearts

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
aka Kelyns | she/her
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 21st Dec 2021 at 6:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Phantomknight
Just fyi @Laurcleve, check the file extension of what you were downloading. From MLC's picture, I'd say that you were downloading a package file, and not a rar or zip, etc., and so there was no need to extract it--you just needed to move it to your Downloads folder. That would be why your computer was asking you what to open it with. If you had set .package files to open with simPE, then it would have been opened up in SimPE directly.

I just read your post now, @Phantomknight, but thanks for the info. So, for future reference when dealing with .package files, when you say 'move it to the Downloads folder', how would I do that? Just drag and drop? Does that work?
Alchemist
#6 Old 22nd Dec 2021 at 1:12 AM
@Laurcleve exactly. Once it finishes downloading, you can just cut and paste or drag it to where you need it to be.

Honestly, though, I personally put everything into a folder because I try to label and document everything. So when, occasionally, a mod I download isn't inside a rar/zip, like in this case, I make a folder with the name of the mod and name of the creator, then I put the package file in that, with a screenshot of the faq/description. Then I make a rar of that folder and put that in my download archives/backups--which is what I usually do with the rars and zips, instead of deleting them--and then I put the folder with the package file in my Downloads.

Hope that helps/is clear!

"Thinking of you, wherever you are. We pray for our sorrows to end, and hope that our hearts will blend." - Kingdom Hearts

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
aka Kelyns | she/her