Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Apr 2022 at 1:44 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Recoloring maxis painting - not found in the game
Hey guys

So today I tried for the first time to recolor some paintings and I figured with maxis paintings would be easier. I successfully recolored two of the paintings, I had to instal the CEP.

For some reason the CEP caused my game to crash when I clicked on any painting in the game and I uninstalled it but kept the recolored files in my downloads folder. Unfortunately when I open the game and try to recolor the paintings I recolored in Simpe, it doesen't work

Any ideas on what might caused this? Should I copy the original maxis mesh of the paintings and paste it in the downloads folder as well? If so, where and how can I find that original file?

Thanks in advance
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 23rd Apr 2022 at 2:07 AM
1: After installing the CEP, did you delete the cache files? They can sometimes cause crashes and other issues with CC, especially when something has been changed but is using the same file or resources (like the case with the CEP). Could be worth a try.

2: Are you sure you installed the CEP properly and followed all the instructions? Did you also make sure to set up SimPE properly after installing the CEP?

To see if the CEP is set up properly, the easiest check ingame is to see if the basegame potty is recolorable - there's a picture on the CEP page that shows how it's supposed to look like.

Normally, the CEP shouldn't cause the game to crash, so it's likely that either the setup for your game and/or SimPE isn't properly done, and if so the recolors could be causing the crashing. If not, something else is cashing your game - either the cache files, a mod or piece of CC linked to pictures/wallhangings.

No to your last question(s) - You just need to install the CEP properly. It's not the mesh you need, it's the recoloring resources, which the CEP provides.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 23rd Apr 2022 at 9:37 AM Last edited by Matt_Y : 23rd Apr 2022 at 9:55 AM.
Hey there! Thanks for your advices!

So I installed the CEP again, this time manually and I did everything correctly step by step. I thought the recolored paintings were causing the crash because the game crashed when I clicked on any painting.

I deleted the recolored paintings from the Dowonloads folder, opened the game, but it crashed again!

I definitely installed the CEP step by step, I even double checked. Any ideas on what to do?
Mad Poster
#4 Old 23rd Apr 2022 at 4:04 PM
Just to rule out any other things - have you tried your game with just the CEP, and with/without the recolors?

Could be some other CC that's causing issues when the CEP is installed, so it can be an idea to check if the CEP isn't causing any issues in your game when it's on its own, and that everything is installed properly. If clicking on CEP-enabled items causes crashes, then I'm thinking it's more likely there's one or more CC items causing trouble - maybe some older recolors or some edited CEP files or some such.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 23rd Apr 2022 at 8:41 PM
Yep I have tried the game with the recolors and without, I'm thinking though maybe I haven't installed the CEP properly?

I have the Mansion&Garden collection so maybe the CEP instructions are different for the location of the manually downloaded CEP files?

What I find weird now is that I had some downloaded recolors of maxis paintings before installing CEP, now that I've uninstalled it they are gone too :/
Mad Poster
#6 Old 23rd Apr 2022 at 10:12 PM
Which basegame version do you have? Single disc, Double Deluxe, Ultimate Collection, or some other version? You're supposed to use the basegame path for the CEP installation.

If you take out all your other CC and mods, only leaving in the "_EnableColorOptionsGMND" file in Downloads (after installing the CEP manually), does your game still crash if you try to click on paintings? Do you get the recolorable thumbnails for previously not recolorable items (potty, paintings, etc.)