Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Apr 2022 at 10:55 PM Last edited by noprobllama : 27th Apr 2022 at 11:20 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default cleaning lots?
For the longest time I had no idea it could be a problem for lots to not be "clean". Is there a way to check before I install them? Is there anything I should do when downloading and installing lots? There's so much nice stuff here on MTS and I'd love to get some of the lots into my game as safely as possible. Thanks!

EDIT: I found this thread (https://modthesims.info/t/609188), but I'm confused about it. After opening the sims2 pack file, do I just save it as another file of the same type and install it as I usually would?

EDIT2: it seems I can't save the lot as a sims2pack file using SimPE, it's just a regular .package file. Do I just use that in my downloads folder? What happens to CC in the lot?
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 28th Apr 2022 at 4:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by noprobllama
For the longest time I had no idea it could be a problem for lots to not be "clean". Is there a way to check before I install them?

Yes. You should use the Clean Installer to install lots because sometimes things get packaged with a lot that 1. aren't intended to be included/shared and/or 2. you don't need. For example sometimes mod files get packaged (phone hack likes to do this to me) or on the other hand, you have a bunch of extra recolors you don't want. Like whenever I use the deck stairs and package the lot, all the recolors I have for it get packaged, too, even though I didn't use them.

So yeah, it's good to preview what you're installing and, when possible, download cc separately and file it away "properly" in your Downloads folder. Properly is in quotes because good organization depends on what's best for you. Me personally, I try to install cc that I know I'll want to use again elsewhere, so that means I file away cc in their related folders--Build, Stairs, Walls, Kitchen, Lighting, etc., etc. But other simmers like to keep all the cc required for a lot together, in a folder with the lot's name on it. That works, too. Again, do what works best for you. I just always recommend downloading cc separately not only because that way you ensure you get an entire set, including any diagonals or master files, but also this way you can file cc and organize it in a way that's meaningful to you. Otherwise you might not not even realize what you installed since installing a sims2pack will put files directly in your Downloads folder.

Finally, when installing cc through a lot, if there's an item that doesn't have a proper internal file name, then that file's name might look like gibberish in your Download folder, making it hard for you to tell what it is later. More info on that under a spoiler, in case you don't know what I'm talking about.

Quote:
Is there anything I should do when downloading and installing lots?

To sum up: I highly recommend that you use the TS2 Clean Installer (link to that is here, in case the link doesn't auto generate). With the Clean Installer you can see what files are packaged with a lot and know exactly what you're installing. You can even choose to install the lot without any packaged cc or remove cc from the package entirely. (Note: if you do edit a lot file this way, and remove items from it, always save the file with a new name, instead of overriding the old one.) And then you can also set up your computer so that the default program to open sims2pack files is the clean installer, making using it easier for you to use.

Next, if you're still worried after using the Clean Installer and checking the download, I would test the lot in a clean and empty test hood first, and then run Chris Hatch's Lot Cleaner. Open the lot in build/buy mode and click on the cleaner to run it (it's a big globe in misc/misc). I also recommend Chris Hatch's Super Duper Hug Test. That mod will run in background of your game and looks for the super duper hug bug. So if a lot has it, it'll find it and remove it. After running those mods, save the cleaned lot and make a new copy (package it again) for your regular game.

At that point, most would probably consider the lot clean and safe to use, especially if it's just for your own personal use. But if you're worried about sim references, follow Method 2 of Jo's How To Clean A Lot of Sim References Tutorial and use Chris Hatch's Lot Compressor Add On to clean the lot of sim references. I usually don't remove sim references; using the Lot Cleaner and Super Duper Hug Test is enough for me, but I'm mentioning it in case you come across it and want to know what to do about it.

"Thinking of you, wherever you are. We pray for our sorrows to end, and hope that our hearts will blend." - Kingdom Hearts

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
aka Kelyns | she/her
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 28th Apr 2022 at 5:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Phantomknight

At that point, most would probably consider the lot clean and safe to use, especially if it's just for your own personal use. But if you're worried about sim references, follow Method 2 of Jo's How To Clean A Lot of Sim References Tutorial and use Chris Hatch's Lot Compressor Add On to clean the lot of sim references. I usually don't remove sim references; using the Lot Cleaner and Super Duper Hug Test is enough for me, but I'm mentioning it in case you come across it and want to know what to do about it.

Thank you for explaining, I was using the Clean Installer but didn't know how to use the lot cleaner.

What I was mainly asking about (sorry if that was unclear) was removing sim references. I tried to follow that tutorial with the lots I wanted to add but I've been having issues with it. I can't export the clean version into a sims2pack file, just a regular .package file. I also tried to use the installer to add the lot to my game as normal and then use method two in the tutorial to clear sim references. That worked, I think, but now the file isn't using the required cc. Did I do it wrong by extracting the cc into a subfolder in my Downloads and then installing only the lot?
Alchemist
#4 Old 28th Apr 2022 at 12:58 PM
Hmm, from the tutorial, it looks like you should be saving as a regular package file, but I'm not 100% sure.

@joandsarah77 can you assist noprobllama with the removing sim references tutorial?

Extracting cc into a subfolder shouldn't make a difference; what makes you think that the lot isn't using cc? Are things flashing blue or missing entirely? Perhaps you're missing something, like a master mesh file?

"Thinking of you, wherever you are. We pray for our sorrows to end, and hope that our hearts will blend." - Kingdom Hearts

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
aka Kelyns | she/her
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 28th Apr 2022 at 5:30 PM
Extracting cc into a subfolder shouldn't make a difference; what makes you think that the lot isn't using cc? Are things flashing blue or missing entirely? Perhaps you're missing something, like a master mesh file?

The lot uses custom floors and windows as well as a couple of deco items, but after I place it, it just uses maxis objects where the cc should be, like when you delete cc.

I'm going to check if any of it is also missing from build/buy. I recently found out I'm having trouble with some cc showing up at all I don't think I'm missing meshes from those, either.

Before anyone asks, the subfolders I use aren't that complex. Just (for example) a subfolder for build mode and inside folders with each thing's .package files.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 28th Apr 2022 at 9:59 PM
@noprobllama is there something you don't understand about the tutorial?

https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=609188

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 28th Apr 2022 at 10:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
@noprobllama is there something you don't understand about the tutorial?

https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=609188

Yeah:
- I can't save the sims2pack files as sims2pack again, just .package files when using the SimPE method. I tried that anyway and placing the .packing file in my teleport and lots folders, but nothing showed up.
- I tried to run mootilda's installer to install the CC to my download folder, then run it again to install the lot itself, and use method 2 on the installed lot's .package. The lot showed up but -- no CC.

I hope what I'm describing makes sense.

I feel like I must be doing something wrong if it's working for everyone else but I can't figure out what
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#8 Old 28th Apr 2022 at 10:40 PM
I recommend method 2, using the lot compressor that Chris Hatch updated. When Chris gave me the file I had just finished writing up method one so I wasn't going to delete it, but honestly method 2 is far easier. It does the same exact job only its like switching out a shovel for a truck when moving a pile of rubble.

With saving items it could even be a different type of file, sometimes computers want to 'keep going' and you need to stop on the folder or type you want and highlight it and then it will save. If that makes any sense. A picture here might help us understand what is going on if it isn't that.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 28th Apr 2022 at 11:38 PM
I recommend method 2, using the lot compressor that Chris Hatch updated. When Chris gave me the file I had just finished writing up method one so I wasn't going to delete it, but honestly method 2 is far easier. It does the same exact job only its like switching out a shovel for a truck when moving a pile of rubble.

With saving items it could even be a different type of file, sometimes computers want to 'keep going' and you need to stop on the folder or type you want and highlight it and then it will save. If that makes any sense. A picture here might help us understand what is going on if it isn't that.

I tried method 2 but for some reason the CC isn't showing up. Should I install the CC and lot together? I just installed the CC into a folder in Downloads, then ran the installer again to install the lot. I booted up my game so the lot would be in the Lots Catalog and then ran the program to clean it.
Alchemist
#10 Old 29th Apr 2022 at 12:10 AM
From the little you describe, the missing cc could be an unrelated issue, but just happens to occur at the same time. Is it only cc you are installing from the clean installer? Double check your file path, that the installer is actually putting things in the right location, if you don't manually move it. Also make sure that you have Show Custom Content Items in the catalog checked, and then finally, see what else is showing up in your folder. If nothing is showing up, or if more than the lot cc is missing, than you have a different, bigger issue.

What are your computer specs and what is the size of your Downloads folder? It's possible that you have too much cc for your game and so you've reached a limit.

aka Kelyns | she/her
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#11 Old 29th Apr 2022 at 6:27 AM
From the little you describe, the missing cc could be an unrelated issue, but just happens to occur at the same time. Is it only cc you are installing from the clean installer? Double check your file path, that the installer is actually putting things in the right location, if you don't manually move it. Also make sure that you have Show Custom Content Items in the catalog checked, and then finally, see what else is showing up in your folder. If nothing is showing up, or if more than the lot cc is missing, than you have a different, bigger issue.

What are your computer specs and what is the size of your Downloads folder? It's possible that you have too much cc for your game and so you've reached a limit.

Other CC works fine, so CC is definitely enabled. I don't have a whole lot of CC yet. It's really just the CC included in house files that don't show up in the game. And yeah, I was using the clean installer. I was using a folder in my Downloads folder as the path for the CC.

I really don't know what else to describe because the problem is just that. :/
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#12 Old 29th Apr 2022 at 8:21 AM Last edited by joandsarah77 : 29th Apr 2022 at 8:34 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by noprobllama
I tried method 2 but for some reason the CC isn't showing up. Should I install the CC and lot together? I just installed the CC into a folder in Downloads, then ran the installer again to install the lot. I booted up my game so the lot would be in the Lots Catalog and then ran the program to clean it.

I am a bit lost, what do you mean CC isn't showing up? The lot compressor simply cleans the lot of sim references it doesn't touch the CC.

So when you want to install a lot that comes with CC -if it is just one set or a few items the best way is to go to the upload page for the CC and download it. Then you ensure you have all the set, see any special notes the creator has, can thank the creator and organize it.

If you just want to grab the CC in the lot file, check that Clean Installer is set to the teleport folder (should be by default) and click install and let it do its thing.

Then open your download folder and grab the CC it just tossed in there and place it into a folder and label it 'Name of lot CC'
Open the game and place it down on a throw away hood. Go in and check out the lot. I also suggest checking out the cc to see if you really like what it comes with.

Then I would wave Chris Hatch lot cleaner globe around the lot, this cleans up bugs and removes the Super Duper Hug (if the lot by chance has it) Save, exit, reload move an item and save again.

Exit the game and clean the lot with method 2 of sim references if it needs to be. This is only really needed if the creator of the lot moved in sims. Sometimes with community lots they can go live as they are being saved and spawn an NPC. Some tells would be a running paused fountain, chef stove is lit. Dorm doors with dormies on them, a newspaper, unmade bed. If the lot came from a less than reputable site or an old site its also a good idea to debug and clean.

Creators here tend to upload safe clean lots but you still have to watch the older ones. I use the globe on all my lots before uploading.

~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#13 Old 29th Apr 2022 at 7:35 PM
I am a bit lost, what do you mean CC isn't showing up? The lot compressor simply cleans the lot of sim references it doesn't touch the CC.

So when you want to install a lot that comes with CC -if it is just one set or a few items the best way is to go to the upload page for the CC and download it. Then you ensure you have all the set, see any special notes the creator has, can thank the creator and organize it.

If you just want to grab the CC in the lot file, check that Clean Installer is set to the teleport folder (should be by default) and click install and let it do its thing.

Then open your download folder and grab the CC it just tossed in there and place it into a folder and label it 'Name of lot CC'
Open the game and place it down on a throw away hood. Go in and check out the lot. I also suggest checking out the cc to see if you really like what it comes with.

Then I would wave Chris Hatch lot cleaner globe around the lot, this cleans up bugs and removes the Super Duper Hug (if the lot by chance has it) Save, exit, reload move an item and save again.

Exit the game and clean the lot with method 2 of sim references if it needs to be. This is only really needed if the creator of the lot moved in sims. Sometimes with community lots they can go live as they are being saved and spawn an NPC. Some tells would be a running paused fountain, chef stove is lit. Dorm doors with dormies on them, a newspaper, unmade bed. If the lot came from a less than reputable site or an old site its also a good idea to debug and clean.

Creators here tend to upload safe clean lots but you still have to watch the older ones. I use the globe on all my lots before uploading.

It's not a lot of CC, just some windows and wallpapers, stuff like that. It's not showing up in the sense that they were replaced by default items from the game. I'm going to try again.