Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Gunmod's Radiance Light System 2.2 BETA RC1

by Chocolate Pi Posted 22nd Feb 2006 at 3:46 AM - Updated 16th May 2009 at 10:24 AM by Numenor : Updated info and links

392 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 391 Feedback Posts
Page 8 of 16
Object(ive) Investigator
retired moderator
#176 Old 4th Jul 2006 at 6:00 AM
Try setting it's compatibility mode to WinXp (if it even has that option).

Please don't PM me with questions. Post them in the appropriate thread.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#177 Old 4th Jul 2006 at 6:17 AM
That was the first thing I did, nothing. In XP now... *works fine...*
Lab Assistant
#178 Old 6th Jul 2006 at 3:22 AM
i would help somemore but,my new GPU wont run the sims,and im waiting for a new PSU for my second comp, old one blew up. *sigh* I wonder how my poor simmies are doing without me
Test Subject
Original Poster
#179 Old 6th Jul 2006 at 4:04 AM
Well, I'm booting into XP now...

Um... What exactly is it that I'm supposed to be doing here again?
Object(ive) Investigator
retired moderator
#180 Old 6th Jul 2006 at 4:52 AM
Got me.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#181 Old 6th Jul 2006 at 5:06 AM
I'll play with it tomorrow. Ill change that one directional thing and tweak values from there to... I guess make the lights took good?
Instructor
#182 Old 8th Jul 2006 at 12:02 AM Last edited by CormorantEnt : 8th Jul 2006 at 2:29 AM.
Default A few questions
It's nice to see someone else working on this.

I do have a small number of questions though.

1. Regarding lighting, I'm trying to make the 6:00 PM time slot a little brighter.

Also, I would like to be able to make it gray-green ambient rather than have everything be red. (So I can use the 6:00 PM time in accordance with sky filters and create stormy weather scenes.)

I would settle for a subtle orange ambience for the afternoon if I knew how to set that. But somehow, having everything be rich red just doesn't look right.

2. I know GunMod himself showed no interest in doing this, but if it's not asking too much, I was curious if there were ways to make the shadow distribution compatible with Riva cards.

I don't mind the Maxis way of doing it with walls that are non-textured. I can always fix those with Photoshop. But everything else can be a bother.

3. Is there a way to make sunlight a little less yellow...even neutral white? I like to go in to screenshots sometimes with my own lighting effects in Photoshop, and sims with glaring yellow spots on their foreheads are rather challenging to work with.

If you have any advice, I'd be more than happy. I've tried tweaking the 2.1 version. The sky isn't as red, but the objects are still too red.

UPDATE

WARNING:
_________

NVidia Riva TNT2/Pro users:

--Do NOT overwrite the userstartup.cheat file.

--Also, do NOT put the RLSShaders.package file in the Downloads folder.

Leaving these out will make the hack work mostly like 2.1.

Adding them will mess up your animations, confuse your lights completely, and cause everything to glow alternating shades of red.
Object(ive) Investigator
retired moderator
#183 Old 10th Jul 2006 at 4:32 AM
The only thing in the startup file that does anything is "boolprop UseShaders false". As long as you have it, any changes will work fine.

Instructor
#184 Old 10th Jul 2006 at 2:28 PM
Run that by me again? Are you saying that setting "useShaders false" will prevent the red problem or cause it?

I'm not really sure how useful the startup.cheat file is. I saw some cheats in there already that worked, but when you enter the moveobjects cheat to it, that doesn't. I still end up manually typing moveobjects every time.

Perhaps that's a little off-topic, but does raise a point. How useful is the userstartup.cheat file?
Object(ive) Investigator
retired moderator
#185 Old 10th Jul 2006 at 8:02 PM
All I was saying is that that line in the only functional line in this mod's startup file.

Test Subject
#186 Old 15th Jul 2006 at 4:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by dami
oh dear it was my failure with the black pie menus and such !

while backing up the light folders, WinRAR had the option enabled to delete everything after compression. after compress i copied the 2.2 files in the lights folder and started the game without the LightRigs and objects folders which have the light-definitions for things like pie menu, inventory, simthumbnails etc inside.

now i did it right today and started the game and everything looks good now,
so just ignore my above please... i will only post again if i find any "real" problems with the mod now ;o)

Okay, I have the same problem here but I have the LightRigs and object folders in my Lights folder! I don't know what haaappened. Is there another reason why this may be happening or is my computer just... dumb?
Test Subject
#187 Old 16th Jul 2006 at 2:04 AM
Welcome back traveller. If you like, Chocolate Pi, I can point you to the version I compiled with the OFB and FFS lights and the debugged bumpmaps. Just let me know.
Lab Assistant
#188 Old 24th Aug 2006 at 12:31 PM
I have a few questions:
1.Can I just download gunmod's 2.1 back up file, or do I still have to back up the files you listed?
2.As for the EP, do I need to back up for all Eps I have?
3.Can you give the exact location (the file path) of file no 3, and 4?
4.Is the installation guide the same as gunmod's 2.1?
Lab Assistant
#189 Old 29th Aug 2006 at 3:32 AM
I installed gunmods 2.1 lighting mod when I had all the current expansion packs installed (including open for business and family fun stuff) and it worked great.

However, I just installed Glamour Life Stuff expansion pack and I am not sure whether I should use the 2.1 or this new 2.2 version. There is a lot of text to read and I am confused so can someone answer a few questions for me?

1) What bugs are there for the 2.2? Is 2.2 stable?
2) Does 2.1 or 2.2 work with this new expansion pack?
3) Should I use 2.1, 2.2 or none at all?
Lab Assistant
#190 Old 29th Aug 2006 at 3:55 AM
to gohan2091

1) Yes! 2.2 is stable, but bumpmaps don't seem to work on some computers,
2) My guess, Yes
3) 2.2! defenitly 2.2.
4)will this work for the new pets! EP. That cant be answered yet. My guess, Yes

Glamour Life Stuff expansion pack/ boster pack. adds new stuff but dosent change old stuff. so it will work fine,but new lights will most likley not work

Edit: sorry! misred thought 2 referd to the upcoming pets EP.
Lab Assistant
#191 Old 31st Aug 2006 at 12:40 AM Last edited by gohan2091 : 31st Aug 2006 at 9:10 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by woodchuck
to gohan2091

1) Yes! 2.2 is stable, but bumpmaps don't seem to work on some computers,
2) My guess, Yes
3) 2.2! defenitly 2.2.
4)will this work for the new pets! EP. That cant be answered yet. My guess, Yes

Glamour Life Stuff expansion pack/ boster pack. adds new stuff but dosent change old stuff. so it will work fine,but new lights will most likley not work

Edit: sorry! misred thought 2 referd to the upcoming pets EP.

Thanks, just put 2.2 into my game and it looks good, especially the water!
Inventor
#192 Old 6th Sep 2006 at 1:31 AM
the pool is purple????? i did the false and true i dont see the ripple thingy

:::OpenHouse For Sims:::
[ click here to go there ]
::check out my site for updates and freebies::
Inventor
#193 Old 7th Sep 2006 at 3:05 AM
it works great in Window XP but doesn't work at all in my Window ME. Why is that, I want it

:::OpenHouse For Sims:::
[ click here to go there ]
::check out my site for updates and freebies::
Test Subject
#194 Old 7th Sep 2006 at 3:24 AM
Quick question
I have NL,ofb, and GL. Which folder should I put the program files part of this in? I tryed Nl, but upon loading my meghiborhoods my game crashed. Then I tryed NL and GL it let me load everything, but the mod wasn't active. I have yet to try in all of them b/c I am done tonight. Any help is apreciated.
Lab Assistant
#195 Old 7th Sep 2006 at 4:28 PM
when my sims enter a totally dark room the lights dont go on. is this normal with the radiance light system or not ?

how can I fix that ? the rooms are sooo dark that it takes a while til I find a light n turn it on ...

a screenshot of my prob you can find here:
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthre...=1&page=2&pp=25
The ModFather
retired moderator
#196 Old 14th Sep 2006 at 12:56 AM
Since the Radiance is so popular, and GunMod is no longer available, I guess that no one will complain about this... :

14 SEPT 2006 - CEP v. 4.2 (Glamour + Radiance) released
Among the other features:
  • Built-in Radiance Lighting Mod (by GunMod) - In order to ensure the maximum compatibility between the custom light support provided by the CEP and the Radiance Lighting Mod, I've decided to merge the two mods in the same installer; obviously, this is the CEP installer, and therefore you can install the Radiance only in addition to the CEP.

The new CEP installer contains the Radiance in both version 2.1 and the 2.2 (of course, only one can be installed at a time...).
The installer also contains a special "uninstall" feature that restores the original Maxis files when removing the Radiance.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
The ModFather
retired moderator
#197 Old 14th Sep 2006 at 1:19 PM
Just to be sure that all the Radiance-lovers read this, I'm quoting here one of the CEP FAQs (sorry for the cross-posting ):

Quote: Originally posted by CEP FAQ page
I already have the Radiance installed: should I uninstall it before installing the CEP?
Every time you install a new Radiance version (or install the CEP+Radiance over an existing installation), is always a good rule to restore the original Maxis lights, first: you can do it by running the CEP installer and selecting "CEP only / Restore Maxis lights". Not restoring the Maxis lights can't cause any problem anyway, but we all like clean installations, right?
The "CEP only / Restore Maxis lights" option can safely be run several times in a raw: therefore, if you are unsure, run it before installing any Radiance version. If you feel that something related to the Radiance is wrong in your game, run the CEP installer to restore Maxis lights and then re-install your favourite Radiance version (you can safely do this restore/reinstall job as many times you like).

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

Lab Assistant
#198 Old 14th Sep 2006 at 6:48 PM
The water reflections look spectacular but please allow me to throw in some point that doesn't suit my taste. The light falloff distance is way too short. Take the screenshot with the ceiling lamp for instance: The room is almost dark with it. According to the picture with the statues I'd have to place a ceiling lamp at every third square to make a room comfortably bright. Also the pool lights seem to have almost no effect.
Test Subject
#199 Old 15th Sep 2006 at 2:28 AM
Default Ggrrr!
I had this hack forced upon me when i downloaded a lot. I had to delete 2 files from the sims 2 folder in My Documents and then reinstall the whole game plus EP's.
Despite putting a light on nearly every square outside it would never seem to light my sims up at night plus inside the hair would be brighter than the rest of the sim!!!!

Nvidia Geforce 6200 LE Driver version 91.47
The ModFather
retired moderator
#200 Old 15th Sep 2006 at 2:00 PM
Next time, the new CEP installer can help you restoring the original Maxis files: just run the installer and choose "CEP only / Restore Maxis lights". The only thing that the installe can't do, in a situation like yours, is restoring the userStartup.cheats located in MyDocuments\EA Games\The Sims 2\Config. Unless you have edited it personally, you can just delete it.

Anyway, I'm curious, because the Radiance mod is NOT supposed to be exported along with the lots (it's a bunch of text files; only the shaders are in a package in the Downloads folder).
Which files have you deleted from your Sims2 folder?

Page 8 of 16