Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
Original Poster
#426 Old 1st Sep 2007 at 11:55 PM
DCECILIE - milkshape is only free for a short trial. then you must purchase it for $25. Go to the website to find out how to register it.

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Game Help | Create | Content List | Where Can I Find?
Advertisement
Test Subject
#427 Old 2nd Sep 2007 at 8:28 AM
But I downloaded Milkshape yesterday?

--DCECILIE
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
Original Poster
#428 Old 2nd Sep 2007 at 9:45 PM
Dcecilie - is that the very first time you've installed it ever? You could go to the milkshape site and ask for support/help.

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Inventor
#429 Old 6th Sep 2007 at 1:39 AM
Okay I have a question that might relate to my previous question.... I've had issues with my simpe... Like when it installs peices missing and so on.... When I start and you're looking for in front of afbodydresslongloose_grayline property set.... And all those extra's in front... Mine does not say that.... Does that matter? Or am I just messing up attatching the skin to the mesh?
!@_o!

At my final resting place
!@_o!
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
Original Poster
#430 Old 6th Sep 2007 at 1:45 AM
If the 'names' display differently I think it's a SimPE setting that might need adjusting. I have not had time to install the most recent SimPE, or poke around with the settings. Maybe someone else happens to know.

Inventor
#431 Old 6th Sep 2007 at 3:35 AM
Okay but that shouldn't affect it then? That was my main worry an then.... Also where you're says type mine says resource tree... I don't know if you have any idea if that is the same? Thank you for answering. Main worry is the names and if I'm putting everything in the right spot and grabbing the correct iteams. ^_^ With the name change... I'm sorry to be asking you if you do not know though.
!@_o!

!@_o!
Inventor
#432 Old 6th Sep 2007 at 4:21 AM
Okay this is really sad but I'm excited... This time it worked.... I got a different outfit so I guess the mesh is there w/o a skin. That's one sept in the right direction right?Unless I'm wrong an still haveing trouble with titles in my simpe.... x_x
!@_o!

!@_o!
Lab Assistant
#433 Old 17th Sep 2007 at 8:28 AM
THANK YOU! This tutorial looked daunting, but as I went through and followed it, it was so easy to understand. I had a fine time until I imported my obj file into Wings 3d b/c then I had to learn how to work it and edit the mesh. I only did a tiny edit (like in your tutorial) just to see if I could actually do this. I had that problem of my mesh lying on the floor, but thanks again to you, I was able to fix that in seconds. So needless to say my mesh edit showed up in my game perfectly and I nearly exploded with joy.

I never figured I could graps the idea of meshing/editing meshes. Mainly everyone uses milkshape and I can't afford that right now, so I tried Blender, but it won't run for some reason, so I tried wings 3d (along with Hellborn's vertice mapper) and voila! I edited my first mesh. So again, thank you so much for this wonderful and detailed basic tutorial. I pretty much have the hang of what files I need and what to do with them. It was the importing (meshtool gave me errors at first until I used Hellborn's mapper for some reason) that gave me the most trouble, but in the end I did it! YAY!

You rock!

visit my website: subKitten
Test Subject
#434 Old 17th Sep 2007 at 6:46 PM
oooo my god!!!!!! tiggerypum please don`t tell me that i shouldn`t have closed the very first window (with the GMDC thing) cause now i really don`t know what to do on step 30....i totaly got stuck...really sorry to bother you ))
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
Original Poster
#435 Old 18th Sep 2007 at 4:20 AM
firehope - try closing SimPE and opening it up again. If that fails, look around (maybe in preferences) for an option to reset the display layout.

Inventor
#436 Old 19th Sep 2007 at 12:17 AM
I found out what was wrong my SimPE didn't install correctly(just like my first harddrive)... I had to redo it 5 times... An make sure I deleated the file folder befor it started working correctly in case anyone else has my problem... Thank you Tiggerypum this is great with a working SimPE ^_^
!@_o!

!@_o!
Test Subject
#437 Old 21st Sep 2007 at 4:56 PM
Default Oh HELP!
Tigger, can you please help me? The tutorials are excellent, and very clear; thanks. I've made 4 or 5 meshes now without any real glitches, but this one is driving me to drink!

I'm combining a bottom-half mesh from the base game with a full body mesh (which I already edited to make half of a body) from Glamour Life Stuff pack, and for some reason, the two halves won't connect. They appear to connect in Milkshape, but not in the game or in Body Shop (unless the model's arms are extended)

I've used the Extended Manual Edit to ensure the nodes match up, and I've "aligned normals", but nothing works. I've even tried connecting the 2 meshes at different points - twice.

Am I missing something, or can these two meshes just not be combined?
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#438 Old 21st Sep 2007 at 5:16 PM
Candyrain, that's a Unimesh question, so... not really related to this tutorial. Please post other questions in the main body shop meshing forum on a new thread.

Just a hint though: the seam isn't matching up because your bone assignments don't match. Make sure each set of vertices (each spot that is multiple vertices but only looks like one) has identical bone assignments along that seam and they'll connect properly.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
#439 Old 21st Sep 2007 at 7:04 PM
Sorry for posting on the wrong thread, but thank you SO much for the help, Hysterical! I really appreciate it. Ok, here goes, I'm gonna try your suggestion *crossing fingers and toes* :D
Test Subject
#440 Old 21st Sep 2007 at 8:59 PM
Well, I tried it, but it didn't work. The bone assignments were definitely off, though. Thanks anyway. What I did find were that the comments were different "bottom" instead of "body". I changed the bottom comments to body, and regrouped the 2. It seemed to work for now, but I'm not sure if that was really a fix, or just a temporary thing. Thanks again!!
Test Subject
#441 Old 6th Oct 2007 at 2:13 PM
I need help on #47-52. I understand it well and i believe i am doing all of the steps right but the mesh never changes from the same dress . Can you help me?
Test Subject
#442 Old 12th Oct 2007 at 6:12 PM Last edited by slayers_next : 12th Oct 2007 at 7:17 PM.
Hi.
i use this tutorial to modify Maxis hair replacing them to other hairs styles from other game (KH). I follow all steps except (MS3D because i use autodesk 3dsmax 9) and all go fine in Bodyshop:

But ingame, the hair is floating and no follow the movements of the head (It havent animation). If the simsturn the head, the hair is still on front...:

EDIT: I import the three parts of each hair (Male and female) directly with SIMPE, because I don't know how can I add the .SIMPE file to the mesh cretaed with MESHTOOL if I had three parts (three .OBJ files) in each hair.
Please, Anybody knows the error or that should I do?? Thanks
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
Original Poster
#443 Old 12th Oct 2007 at 10:57 PM
You cannot use obj format and replace the meshes like that. Obj format lacks bone assignments - which is why your hair is not moving with the heads.

These tutorials state clearly that you cannot add or delete vertices, that you can only MOVE them on existing meshes. You need to learn to work with smd format and bone assignments or move to unimesh - either way you need bone assignments.

Test Subject
#444 Old 19th Oct 2007 at 4:58 AM
I am so embarassed. I can't get past Step 3. I am using SimPE .62 and when you say "open the texture you just exported, it has... a set of number and the name you gave it" (paraphrasing wildly), I only get the option to open a straight named package (ie. bigdress.package).
Then I don't get the nice listings of the Property set greyed out -- I just get a whole bunch of Property Sets.
Then, when I get the name of the resource (ie. afbigdress), I go to simPE, do File...New (step 6) and type in the correct resource in the Finder tab and get...
NOTHING. NADA. BUMPKISS.
Obviously the metal plate in my head is receiving alien transmissions, cos everyone else here got stuck much later than me.
What am I goofing up?

ps. and thanks so much for this. I knew I'd have to bite the bullet and do a mesh sooner or later.
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
Original Poster
#445 Old 19th Oct 2007 at 7:12 PM
Hmm. Well, you still need to find that recolor file - even if I gave you slightly different steps after that point. Are you looking in your SAVED SIMS folder? Did you click 'import' on the step before??

Test Subject
#446 Old 20th Oct 2007 at 2:23 AM Last edited by stressmagnet : 20th Oct 2007 at 2:38 AM. Reason: added more info
Yes I did. In fact, I've now done Steps 1 and 2 twice. I WAS looking in the wrong place tho, so I've opened up my Saved Sims, got the numbered name.package, and still I see nothing but lists of Property sets. This is really getting to me, thanks for the help though!
I've also exported and reimported the package -- it shows up in Body Shop just fine.
(I've attached a screenshot so you can see what I am talking about)
Screenshots
Test Subject
#447 Old 26th Oct 2007 at 4:33 AM
*bump*
Sorry, I do realise you have other things to do and are busy as hell, but I am stuck, when you get a spare mo.
thanks so much.
Test Subject
#448 Old 10th Nov 2007 at 7:36 PM
This is simply to understand, the tutrial works good, a anwsome tutrial!
Test Subject
#449 Old 25th Nov 2007 at 3:29 PM
Erm, I have a problem. I'm new to meshing and all, but I have Blender, SimPE and Bodyshop on my computer. When I go to open the Imported file in SimPE, it tells me I can't do it, because the file is being used by another program, but I need to keep body shop up! Please help. Clare xx
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
Original Poster
#450 Old 27th Nov 2007 at 9:31 AM
Clarealexandrea - No you don't. You do what you need to in bodyshop, then you exit the program. You do what you need to in simpe, then you exit that. Then you open bodyshop again.

Page 18 of 21