Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#351 Old 20th May 2007 at 1:18 AM
Does anyone know where I can find a simpler meshing tutorial? And preferably one with the latest version of Wings 3D (mine is 0.98.36). Maybe I'm just stupid, but it seems like a lot of things in this tutorial require at least the tiniest bit of knowledge of the programs, since the screenshots don't correspond.

Also, at step 14, I don't know where I'm supposed to find the ".obj" file.
Advertisement
Part-time Hermit
#352 Old 20th May 2007 at 3:52 PM
There is also a Wings 3D version of JWoods' object tutorial, which is stickied to the top of this forum.
Test Subject
#353 Old 26th May 2007 at 12:02 AM
i get to step 27 and the object dosen't show.
It comes up, but it shows as having 0 vertices, 0 face,....
What is wrong???????????
Instructor
#354 Old 28th May 2007 at 12:11 PM
what do you mean it doesnt show up? and if something is with 0 Vertices and 0 Faces then it will not be a mesh!
Test Subject
#355 Old 7th Jun 2007 at 3:44 PM
I did not understand anything about SimPE and this tutorial savd me thanks very very much!!!love you
Test Subject
#356 Old 31st Jul 2007 at 1:49 AM
i have verison 0.62.1.100 where is the step where you select the end table for the first time?
Test Subject
#357 Old 3rd Aug 2007 at 11:29 AM Last edited by Jourei : 3rd Aug 2007 at 11:35 AM.
Ok, so iv'e sone everything right but at 27 you maby forgot something, i just get a blank screen, no ''materials'' object to choose. So what now?
Is it maby because i got Vista so the serve loaded the newest instead of tthat you have?
The ModFather
retired moderator
#358 Old 3rd Aug 2007 at 10:25 PM
In Step 27 you should see in the main screen (and in the Geometry Graph, too) two meshes:

- one is the OBJ file you have imported in step 23 ("EndTabbleMesh.obj")
- the other one is the OBJ file with the long name you have imported in step 26.

If at step 27 you can't see them, just go back to step 23 and start again from there.

If, on the other hand, you correctly import the two OBJ files and still you don't see anything in either the main window or the Geometry Graph, then you probably made a mistake when you saved them, earlier (you might have NOT checked "materials" in step 21, or you might have done something wrong in step 7).

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Test Subject
#359 Old 4th Aug 2007 at 2:00 PM Last edited by Jourei : 4th Aug 2007 at 2:46 PM.
I did everything right but SimPE wanted a direct x file, and now i got my item done, just haven't tryed it yet.
And i created a ''Download file'' but i couldn't load any lots or families anymore, it just halts at the end of loading. And I deleted the download folder but still can't play it anymore. So thanks about that.
The ModFather
retired moderator
#360 Old 16th Aug 2007 at 1:47 AM
Perhaps you have a problem with the layout of SimPE....

Maximize SimPE window and then go to Extra -> Preferences -> SimPE Settings, and click "reset layout.

Restart SimPE and you should see on the top-left part of the screen the Resource Tree, with the list of all the types of resources in the package. Click once (left-click) on the "Geometric Data Container" entry, and you will se on the right panel one or more GMDC's; click on them once (left-click) to display its content in the bottom part of the screen.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

Test Subject
#361 Old 16th Aug 2007 at 4:56 PM
I have done all tutorial, create my own object and when i go to game there is only my created object, but original is gone. What is wrong?
Test Subject
#362 Old 19th Aug 2007 at 9:26 AM
i got that : just need to rename object. Ty for nothing :D
Field Researcher
#363 Old 23rd Aug 2007 at 9:47 AM
I have a question, too:
I recolour my own mesh exactly the same way I was instructed in several tuts. But in game my object is invisible. What do I do wrong?
Field Researcher
#364 Old 23rd Aug 2007 at 11:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Dj Music
ok thanks but if i click on the end table there is no button that says export!!! there is no way for me to export this!!! if i click on resource actions all i get is: add,extract,replace,delete,clone,create resource. what am i to do??? someone plz help!!!!!!!

Look at the screens that are also in the FIRST POST:

Quote: Originally posted by Justux90
I have done all tutorial, create my own object and when i go to game there is only my created object, but original is gone. What is wrong?

Did you have registered a new GUID for your new object?
In the FIRST POST:
12. First off, we need a new GUID. Go into Object Data and check off 'Update all MMATs'. Click on Get GUID and register your GUID. Now, click on both 'Update MMATs and Commit' and 'Commit'.

Quote: Originally posted by SUMSE
I have a question, too:
I recolour my own mesh exactly the same way I was instructed in several tuts. But in game my object is invisible. What do I do wrong?

Make sure that your mesh has the faces on the right side and that they are uvmapping.

If you like my creations, you may consider to make a little donation to support my site and my modding activity.
MaryLou's Sims 2 World - MaryLou Sims 2 Forum (Italiano)
Field Researcher
#365 Old 23rd Aug 2007 at 7:32 PM Last edited by SUMSE : 23rd Aug 2007 at 7:39 PM.
Sorry about writing in two posts. I did it because I don´t know what cause the problem: the geometric data or the texture.

Thank you very much for answering my question!
In the UV Mapper I loadet my model, made a new map and save the model and the texture. Then I imported and save everything in SimPe. I can see my Mesh in the preview in SimPE but it shows up without texture.
After I played a bit around I figured out, that my texture is okay cause it works with onother geometrical data. So there must be something wrong with my 3D model.
What do you mean with "the faces on the right side "? How will I know if they are ok or not? And how can I change them, if they are on the wrong side?
Test Subject
#366 Old 24th Aug 2007 at 3:09 AM
i downloaded wing 3d for mac but when i open it, it immediatly closes. do i need to have sims open at the time or what? i really wanna start making stuff but it just closes
Inventor
Original Poster
#367 Old 24th Aug 2007 at 10:54 PM
Sindas, I don't have a Mac and can't help.

I'm just checking on the site and want to thank everyone who is helping the people. I'm really busy so I can't regularly come to MTS2 or S2C anymore.
Field Researcher
#368 Old 27th Aug 2007 at 8:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SUMSE
What do you mean with "the faces on the right side "? How will I know if they are ok or not? And how can I change them, if they are on the wrong side?

Maybe I shoul add that I´m working with wings 3 D and that this is my first mash.
I red something about reversing vertex in milkshape, but I can´t find a simmilar option in wings.

Field Researcher
#369 Old 27th Aug 2007 at 9:09 AM
Sumse I can't tell you where is the option in Wings because I don't have and don't use it.
Perhaps the option is in face tools, not in vertices.............try to triangulate the faces....

If you like my creations, you may consider to make a little donation to support my site and my modding activity.
MaryLou's Sims 2 World - MaryLou Sims 2 Forum (Italiano)
Field Researcher
#370 Old 27th Aug 2007 at 8:15 PM Last edited by SUMSE : 29th Aug 2007 at 10:19 AM.
Marylou, I did triangulate them. But I still have the problem. Now I tried following:
I exported the maxis geometrical data in simpe, importe into wings and changed nothing. Then I exportet it as wafefront (.obj), then opended the uv mapper and made a new map (box) out of it. Then I saved the model and the texture. Back in SimPE I imported the new UV mapped model and hit the preview button. And viola: My texture disappeared (but there should be the original from maxis)
So maybe the problem is caused not by the faces on the wrong side?
Maybe you ore someone else know, what I did wrong?

EDIT:

I found out what went wrong: It was the name of the Mesh! I change it in Wings to what it should be in SimPe, but in SimPE the Progggy added "_default" to it.
The Solution: Do not impot the Mesh via "replace" but via "rename" option and deleate the "_default"!

Anyway, thank you so much for trying to help me, MerayLou!

The ModFather
retired moderator
#371 Old 2nd Sep 2007 at 11:06 PM
Sumse - The "_default" suffix is added by Wings when exporting, because of a wrong setting.
Read this post in order to fix it forever

Field Researcher
#372 Old 4th Sep 2007 at 7:55 PM
Wow, didn´t know about that! Thank you for the link, Numenor!
Scholar
#373 Old 28th Sep 2007 at 1:24 PM Last edited by Rainncandy : 28th Sep 2007 at 1:34 PM.
I'm having a problem. I created a new object, and it has 2 groups, but the object that I'm cloning only has one group. Is there a way to combine the 2 groups of my new object into only one group so that it will work properly in SimPE and the game? I tried the Combine function in Wings 3D but I see that it doesn't ACTUALLY combine the groups.

EDIT: I think I figured it out. I combined the groups in UV Mapper Classic and that worked for me.
Lab Assistant
#374 Old 8th Oct 2007 at 2:45 PM Last edited by leushy : 8th Oct 2007 at 4:12 PM. Reason: update
hi! this tutorial has helped me *immensely*, so huge sloppy wet thankyous from me!
i'm having a problem with texturing the object i made with this tutorial, however.
i recoloured my saved UV template for the object, but clicking import does not change the image :-/
i tried using the 'build DXT' option (a different tutorial mentioned using this), and got a message asking if i wanted to crop the image. saying yes changed the image but naturally cropped it making it useless, and saying no didn't change the image at all.
i'm probbaly asking in the wrong place, but as it is a problem related to this tutorial i'm hoping someone here can help me out :-)
thanks again!

[update: i have just retraced my steps, and tried exporting the UV texture map at exactly the same size and the original. this worked! unfortunately the new object is more complex than the old one, and it's almost impossible to texture such a tiny map :-/]
Scholar
#375 Old 17th Oct 2007 at 8:22 AM Last edited by Rainncandy : 12th Nov 2007 at 8:32 AM.
[CENTER]I'm making a tv, but I'm having a problem with part of it in Simpe. This is how the TV is supposed to look:

But when I load it into Simpe, all of the pink buttons are grey on the front, but on the sides of them they are pink. They are supposed to be totally pink and not have any grey on them. Why are they grey on the front and pink on the sides in SimPE and in the game? What did I do wrong?
Page 15 of 18