Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Alchemist
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th May 2013 at 7:33 AM
Default Shopping for groceries
Oh no! The kids are hungry and the fridge is empty! What do you do?

Do you call the delivery man to get you some food, go to a store to grocery shop or use a mod? Tell us!
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 11th May 2013 at 7:55 AM
I buy a new fridge.

Simblr.
Asks are always open, even to anons. I will always reply to asks, and I do my best to be cordial/less snarky than usual.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 11th May 2013 at 8:10 AM
Most of my families pick up the phone and ask for a delivery. Poorer families, like teens who are trying to live alone without adults, are more likely to go to a community lot to buy groceries (to save the §50 delivery charge).

In a real emergency, if a Sim was in danger of dying of hunger, I'd go into Buy Mode, sell the fridge and buy a new one! I've never had to do this yet, but I reckon it should work as the new fridge arrives fully stocked.

Trying to work out just how much to spend to fill the fridge without wasting money can be tricky. I think it costs about §2 to buy one unit of groceries.

One reason for me generally preferring a delivery to a community lot visit is that I can't save the game until the Sims get back to their home lot, and sometimes I play in very short bursts. For a quick shop visit, I like the little Convenience Store from Moo's Mews, and of course you can buy other things (like clothes) while you're at the shop.

My Sims try to check food levels regularly so they don't run out of food, but sometimes of course they forget!
Scholar
#4 Old 11th May 2013 at 10:29 AM
Most of my Sims phone for a delivery because I don't like having to wait 5 minutes each way for the community lot to load. Sims that are in danger of starving order takeaways. Fridge deletion is a priviledge only permitted to a few specific Sims - for example, a challenge where the front door is locked (thus preventing either takeaways or groceries from being delivered).
Mad Poster
#5 Old 11th May 2013 at 10:31 AM Last edited by M.M.A.A. : 11th May 2013 at 7:27 PM.
Depends on my mood and time, if it is getting a bit late or if I want to do things fast, I prefer calling the delivery guy, but if I have a lot of time on my hand and if the household I'm playing is a bit boring, then I will send someone to the supermarket (at least they'll get to meet others there and socialize).
Mad Poster
#6 Old 11th May 2013 at 10:55 AM
I have a mod that allows aspiration points to be collected-and after they have enough of them, I can buy food.

Otherwise I send them to the grocery store-but they usually have enough food on hand anyway. The owner of the grocery store is one of the regular rotation houses.
Test Subject
#7 Old 11th May 2013 at 10:56 AM
I either use the 'kaching' cheat and purchase a new fridge or use the 'boolprop' cheat, click on the fridge and click 'Restock'.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#8 Old 11th May 2013 at 11:09 AM
I'm like MMAA - it depends but I'm happy enough to send them off shopping. I used to have that mod that allowed sims to stop off at the grocers on the way home from work and turn up with a basket of shopping which they put in the fridge but after a while it got annoying.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Theorist
#9 Old 11th May 2013 at 1:20 PM
Sims that are considered middle to upper class, either shop for groceries online and/or go to an upscale grocery store (that also has a coffee shop, offers prepared foods, flowers, and other small home goods). They are also allowed to buy the max amount of food.

Sims that are poorer, have to go to the local cheap foods grocery store (that doesn't have any additional offerings). They are only allowed to buy half the amount of food.

Poorer Sims are also only allowed to shop every other week (as in real life, money would be tight). So, once the groceries run out, they are down to the basics....or blow what little they have on a pizza or Chinese food.

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Alchemist
Original Poster
#10 Old 11th May 2013 at 2:06 PM
I always have leftovers in my fridge, and I mean a lot of leftovers, so if it is a crisis I just make 'em have leftovers and then I decide if they should take a trip to the store or call the delivery man.
Scholar
#11 Old 11th May 2013 at 2:09 PM
I downloaded a hack a while back that refills the fridge every night at midnight. It can be a pain in the butt with lower-fundage families, but it's saved my sims on more than one occasion.

Plus, would you want to be the sim that delivers groceries to Olive Specter's house (especially in my game where she's Olive Reaper)?

My CC creations, updated April 21, 2015.

My Simblr
Field Researcher
#12 Old 11th May 2013 at 2:12 PM
If they are tired i would call the delivery man but if they are in a good mood i like to go shopping.
Instructor
#13 Old 11th May 2013 at 2:34 PM
I never play any of my sims long enough to need to refill the fridge. :'D

my tumblr - sim pics and downloads
my dreamwidth - ts2 downloads
linkdecrypter - bypass adfly and other harmful pay per click download link hiders
Field Researcher
#14 Old 11th May 2013 at 2:38 PM
My Sims usually have plenty of leftovers, otherwise they call for delivery. Are they rich? I'll sometimes just replace the fridge.

In 99% of the cases I'll do just about anything to avoid having to go to a community lot to pick it up..

Hi, I'm Camilla, and I'm a Sims 2 addict!
Field Researcher
#15 Old 11th May 2013 at 2:40 PM
I have the never-emptying fridge hack. My Sims are all too busy starring in my own personal soap opera to deal with mundane things like grocery shopping.
Top Secret Researcher
#16 Old 11th May 2013 at 2:40 PM
I used to take them to community lots all the time so I could get them out and socializing...but lately I haven't had time to take my simmies out at all, and now there's a glitch in my game involving buying things....so they have to depend on my simlogical school to build relationships. So nowadays I just order my groceries over the phone. It's quick, less expensive, and it can happen while you are doing several other things with the family.

Trans Rights Are Human Rights

Be careful who you hate; it may be someone you love.
=^..^=
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 11th May 2013 at 2:50 PM
At this point I just grow and fish for food, so.

That was not helpful, funny, or love!
#18 Old 11th May 2013 at 2:57 PM
I always have a bunch of pages of leftovers. It's perfect so the kids don't always have to eat cookies or chips, they can have a real meal. Later the adults or teens will order food or buy it, poorer sims go to a community lot and richer ones can do either.
Test Subject
#19 Old 11th May 2013 at 3:13 PM
I'll usually either have a sim go to the grocery store while I have them downtown anyways or send a group of teens/kids to get the groceries and bond over the experience. It's a good way to raise friendship scores between siblings without having to worry about all the other sims in the household.
Scholar
#20 Old 11th May 2013 at 5:51 PM
I'm ashamed to say I buy a new fridge! Unless they're an easy family to play, then I order groceries. I've never been grocery shopping, I might have to try it!
Banned
#21 Old 11th May 2013 at 5:59 PM
I usually order unless I'm sending them to a community lot anyway for something. It's just too much of a hemorrhoid to go to a community lot just for groceries. I like to make "shopping cneters" or malls in my downtowns that have everything - grocery store, clothing store, computer game store, jewelry/perfume/cologn store, pet store etc so I can get it all done at once and not have to keep waiting for it to load up. It's not as bad as pre-NL when you had to load the neighborhood, then click on the community lot then wait for it to load and then if you wanted to go anywhere but home wait for the neighborhood to load up again, etc but it still is too much just to save 50 simoleons. My sims are usually rich anyway.
Top Secret Researcher
#22 Old 11th May 2013 at 7:25 PM
I just opened a grocery in my BACC, so though delivery calls are still not available, they can go down to the store if they're short on food rather than having to go madly fishing down at the park. (Prior to this, everyone had large gardens; at this point, the only sims with gardens are those whose OTH is nature, the two plantsims, and the families who run the town's grocery and bakery, who need them for business reasons.)
Field Researcher
#23 Old 11th May 2013 at 7:31 PM
I used to always call the delivery, but lately I've been sending sims to community lots mroe often to buy groceries. It gives them a chance to meet people they haven't met yet, and it can be fun to see other citizens socialize.
Forum Resident
#24 Old 11th May 2013 at 7:32 PM
I usually send them to Nookington's or some other owned community lot, unless I'm lazy and then I just call the delivery service.
Mad Poster
#25 Old 11th May 2013 at 7:35 PM
I have a CC computer that does so much I only allow it for "special" families; they can have groceries "teleport" to their hand, or any fish, veg, fruit go to their inventory. Also buying cell phones, pets, etc. There are so many different jobs, I never just use the paper, or regular computer. So I have a "job board" at the local mall. I never JUST send them to community lot for groceries, but make it a shopping spree plus friends/family/date outing.

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Page 1 of 4