Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
#8626 Old 21st Oct 2019 at 2:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Bulbizarre
I went a little overboard with my organizing.

That's a whole other level of organized

aka fir3princ3ss
My Youtube Channel
Currently playing:
-Medieval Charter Challenge on The Sims 2
-Ye Olde Royal Kingdom Challenge on The Sims 3
Advertisement
Scholar
#8627 Old 21st Oct 2019 at 4:57 AM
@Bulbizarre Correct me if I'm wrong but are we viewing that Oakbrook has 25+ Attached Subhoods?
I love large Neighborhoods (City at this point?) Rematra has never been so large though (it still wouldn't be even if I would stop recreating it again and again)
Mad Poster
#8628 Old 21st Oct 2019 at 6:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sims2Christain
@Bulbizarre Correct me if I'm wrong but are we viewing that Oakbrook has 25+ Attached Subhoods?
I love large Neighborhoods (City at this point?) Rematra has never been so large though (it still wouldn't be even if I would stop recreating it again and again)

Yup.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
#8629 Old 21st Oct 2019 at 5:24 PM
I'm not the only one who turned Emerald Heights into a subhood!

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Forum Resident
#8630 Old 23rd Oct 2019 at 8:50 PM
It always baffled me how sims needed 2 cooking points to make spaghetti yet 3 to make grilled cheese, which seemed a lot easier to me to make than spaghetti.
Yet I - someone who can make spaghetti - just realised today how to make grilled cheese without making it into a disgusting mess.
Guess I earned a cooking skill point and with it have learned a new recipe
Field Researcher
#8631 Old 24th Oct 2019 at 12:17 AM
The Sims games are the type of games where if I'm playing every day, I want to keep playing, but if I stop for several days, it's hard to get the motivation to play again.
Mad Poster
#8632 Old 24th Oct 2019 at 12:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Bulbizarre
Yup.

I've been messing about trying to convert my spreadsheet (which is beginning to get slightly unwieldy for my own purposes) with a database. Except it's been years since I really did anything with Access.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
#8633 Old 24th Oct 2019 at 2:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by sugoisama
It always baffled me how sims needed 2 cooking points to make spaghetti yet 3 to make grilled cheese, which seemed a lot easier to me to make than spaghetti.
Yet I - someone who can make spaghetti - just realised today how to make grilled cheese without making it into a disgusting mess.
Guess I earned a cooking skill point and with it have learned a new recipe

I feel like this is kind of based on the whole pre-packaged spaghetti and very very basic sauce (I would say just pre-made sauce, except you can see them cutting up peppers when they're prepping it), versus a grilled cheese which even a very basic version of will require more skill at knowing the right ingredients to use (some cheeses work much better than others) and how long to keep them on the griddle and when to turn them and whether to use mayo or butter or both and... and...... and.......... and..............

(I may or may not have a whole RL cookbook dedicated to various grilled cheeses...)

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Lab Assistant
#8634 Old 24th Oct 2019 at 3:21 AM
So I was wandering around at work and saw a man wearing a hat that said "PT" on it, like for some college/sports team. Trying to figure out what "PT" stood for, and the first thing that came to mind was "Pollination Tech-nical Institute"? I don't think that's it... But now I feel like my alien sims need this university in their lives.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#8635 Old 24th Oct 2019 at 8:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Justpetro
I believe Gloria just drank copious amounts of elixir of life before you met her

Yes, I'm sure that must be explanation!

Quote: Originally posted by Neverwinter_Knight77
The Sims games are the type of games where if I'm playing every day, I want to keep playing, but if I stop for several days, it's hard to get the motivation to play again.

I'm always motivated to play, but maybe not always to play the family that I ought to play in my rotation.

Quote: Originally posted by Zarathustra
I feel like this is kind of based on the whole pre-packaged spaghetti and very very basic sauce (I would say just pre-made sauce, except you can see them cutting up peppers when they're prepping it), versus a grilled cheese which even a very basic version of will require more skill at knowing the right ingredients to use (some cheeses work much better than others) and how long to keep them on the griddle and when to turn them and whether to use mayo or butter or both and... and...... and.......... and..............

(I may or may not have a whole RL cookbook dedicated to various grilled cheeses...)

I still don't know how Martin Moltke managed to set the McBains' kitchen on fire while trying to cook spaghetti for himself. I mean, when I cook spaghetti, I boil it in a big pan of water.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Theorist
#8636 Old 24th Oct 2019 at 1:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Zarathustra

Agreed spaghetti is something very basic and easy to cook (unless,f or some reason you are making your own noodles, then it's probably not that easy :-P ) and a basic sauce is also very easy to whip up. It's basically what I eat when I'm to tired to do "real" cooking.
Grilled cheese however? Oh I loathe making them. I like eating them, but I hate making them because it seems "such work" :-P

So yeah, I think the game got it right with the skill points.

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Mad Poster
#8637 Old 24th Oct 2019 at 3:21 PM
Grilled Cheese is really easy to make (and now I'm craving it).

Just put the oven on grill (and leave the door slightly ajar). Put your slices of bread in on an oven tray and watch them so you can turn them when they start getting brown. Then flip them and put slices of cheese on the other side and grill them until the cheese starts bubbling. I'm hungry.
Top Secret Researcher
#8638 Old 24th Oct 2019 at 4:12 PM
Wouldn't it be harder to get the slices to stick together then? I like the fact that the cheese glues the bread together in sticky goodness.

I've got one or two things on MTS, but most of my stuff is on my main site here:
http://simcessories.blogspot.com/
(Now recruiting budding creators.)
Forum Resident
#8639 Old 24th Oct 2019 at 10:10 PM
Now I'm really curious if I can apply my sims-knowledge to real life in terms of what I should be able to cook lol
If I'm going by what I know I can make, I'd probably have like 7 points bc I've made cheesecake before, which means I could totally grill ribs too
I wonder if I could ever try this out...
Also @Zarathustra I think I know what your aspiration is now lol
Mad Poster
#8640 Old 25th Oct 2019 at 1:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
Grilled Cheese is really easy to make (and now I'm craving it).

Just put the oven on grill (and leave the door slightly ajar). Put your slices of bread in on an oven tray and watch them so you can turn them when they start getting brown. Then flip them and put slices of cheese on the other side and grill them until the cheese starts bubbling. I'm hungry.

This is making my eye twitch angrily...

WHERE IS THE BUTTER? THE MAYO? And perhaps most important, WHAT CHEESES ARE YOU USING???

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Mad Poster
#8641 Old 25th Oct 2019 at 5:03 AM
I am not one to dis other people's taste, and Charity should eat whatever she wants, but is it properly grilled cheese if it's made in the oven? It seems to me that the essential qualities of grilled cheese are:

Buttered bread
made on top of the heat
When you flip it you press down on the top so the cheese goes squoosh

If you don't have those elements, I'm not sure it meets the definition, is all I'm saying.

Other than that, grilled cheese is infinite. My little sister only makes it with white bread and Velveeta, which is...um...a choice she is entitled to make. That's how we had it growing up so it's comfort food for her. My own grilled cheese is different every time I make it. Rye bread is good; so is wheat; so is 7-grain. Pumpernickel's a little weird. Got to have just the right cheese for that, and it definitely calls for mustard. Nearly any cheese that is cheese instead of cheese food will make a good sandwich with some bread or other. I don't do mayo but I sometimes do mustard - brown mustard, not yellow. Depends on the bread and the cheese I'm using and which kind of brown mustard is in the fridge. I like doing more than one kind of cheese in the same sandwich, too. And though I've seen it argued that adding anything but condiments to the basic cheese/bread/butter equation transforms the dish into a "melt," it's nice to throw on some sliced mushrooms, or onions, or baby spinach in between two layers of cheese sometimes. if you use spinach, a dash of pepper or nutmeg on the leaves before you enclose it in cheese is good.

And then you cut it into triangles and dunk it in bean soup.

Grilled cheese is a low-point meal because the only trick to the actual cooking is choosing the right moment to turn and the right moment to take it off the fire. A few seconds too long results in a charred mess. Once you get that down, you can create a good grilled cheese any time you have the essentials: Bread, butter, cheese, heat.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#8642 Old 25th Oct 2019 at 11:46 AM
We just use tasty cheddar cheese. No butter, no weird condiments lol. And we don't even put another slice of bread over the top. And it's definitely grilled cheese if you make it under the oven grill.
Field Researcher
#8643 Old 25th Oct 2019 at 1:49 PM
As Charity says, in the UK Grilled Cheese is normally an open sandwich. With two slices of bread it becomes a Toasted Cheese Sandwich, or a Cheese Toastie.

I do use butter though. And condiments. I splash the cheese with worcestershire sauce or malt vinegar before putting it under the grill. Or spread it with Marmite, which is my husband's favourite. I can see it would also be good with mustard. Not sure about Mayo, though.
Lab Assistant
#8644 Old 25th Oct 2019 at 2:44 PM
y'all are makin me want a cheese toastie despite the fact it's midnight

My simblrIcon credit
Top Secret Researcher
#8645 Old 25th Oct 2019 at 4:07 PM
I was talking to my mom the other day about an article I read that said that modern parenting practices--such as leaving babies unattended in their crib for a long time, letting them "cry it out" instead of tending them, and using only formula when you don't have to--have been scientifically proven to stunt brain development. She jokingly replied, "Well, that's what my sims do for their babies!" And I was like, "Yes, and they grow up to have parties in bathrooms, take the long way around the house to go into the next room, and become unable to step over a newspaper!"
And, honestly, that explains so much.

I've got one or two things on MTS, but most of my stuff is on my main site here:
http://simcessories.blogspot.com/
(Now recruiting budding creators.)
Forum Resident
#8646 Old 25th Oct 2019 at 7:37 PM
I'm laid up after a car accident (RIP my car) and grilled cheese was all I was craving, but I have no cheese. I come on here to pass the time, and you're talking about grilled cheese!

My perfect grilled cheese:
Bread
American cheese (yes, the horrible orange processed stuff, this is the only time I eat it)
Butter
Sprinkle of garlic powder on the outside
Cook until both sides are browned and the cheese is melted through
:lovestruc
Theorist
#8647 Old 25th Oct 2019 at 9:01 PM
I do it like this: I I put chedddar between two bread slices, then I butter the outside of the bread slices and use the butter to grill/fry/whatever the bread in the pan. It's really nice if you use that type of butter that has garlic and other herbs in it.

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Scholar
#8648 Old 25th Oct 2019 at 9:56 PM
I'm getting quite a few ideas to try here for grilled cheese - have never done the butter thing, the frying-in-a-pan thing, the mayo thing; being from the UK I've only done the face-up, cheese only, under the grill thing, lol.... my partner is a grilled cheese aspiration kinda guy, so he's gonna love these experiments, lol!!

...Titanium white...
Mad Poster
#8649 Old 26th Oct 2019 at 7:39 AM
I also butter the outside of the sandwich, and I like to add mustard or chutney
Mad Poster
#8650 Old 26th Oct 2019 at 9:45 AM
I'm glad I'm not the only one that does it face up under the grill. If it's a UK thing then Dad must have brought it over from Scotland with him. XD

I have also had cheese toasties. We make those in a sandwich maker and butter the sides of the bread that are on the outside.
Page 346 of 511