Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Sep 2020 at 5:04 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default CAS Sliders are Broken (No CC)
Hello,

I'm going to list my system information, installed games, basic information, the problem, and the solutions that I have tried (but failed).

System Information:
Operating System - Windows 10
Processor Type and Speed - AMD A8-6410 APU
RAM - 4.00 GB (3.44 GB usable)
Graphics Card - AMD Radeon R5 Graphics

Installed Games:
All expansion packs and stuff packs (except Bon Voyage) are installed. They were installed using original disks.

Sims 2 Base Game
University
Pets
Nightlife
Seasons
Apartment Life
Free Time
Best of Business
Family Fun Stuff
Happy Holiday Stuff
Celebration Stuff
Glamour Life Stuff
Teen Style Stuff
Ikea Home Stuff
Mansion and Garden Stuff

Basic Information:
I recently installed all of the above games on my laptop. There is no previously saved data or CC that I am trying to use with the game. I know that there are problems with CC/saved games/windows 10 when running TS2. So I wanted to tackle compatibility problems first. The game starts fine, I run it through a windows 7 compatibility mode. Everything plays smoothly except the CAS.

The Problem:
When I enter CAS there is always the same face and the face options in Step 2 CAS. When I try to edit or change the face using the base game sliders, nothing happens to the sim's face. I have tested this in different neighborhoods and in the University CAS. There is not an issue with pet sliders.

The Attempted Solutions:

I have installed every patch for my games
I have followed every step of MTS Game Help:Game Problem Guide (except for removing CC as I don't have any currently installed)
I have uninstalled and reinstalled every game twice.
I have prayed to Will Wright.

Thank you for reading all of this information. I really love these games and want to play them again. It's important to me to fix this. I understand that this is probably not a new thread. I've seen a similar (but unanswered) thread on Reddit. As well as plenty of threads including CC sliders. I've been combing through this site for a thread that has a solution. If I find it, I will edit this post. In the meantime, please help me. I love TS2 so much.
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 20th Sep 2020 at 4:42 PM
This sounds to me like an installation problem- as though the game has not installed cleanly.

To which location have you installed the game?

First thing I would check is to make sure that your antivirus program is not putting a lock on the files. Check under 'on access scanning' and add the location of your installed files, and your userdata files in the Documents folder, to the exceptions.

If you installed to the default location (Program Files(x86)) then you should clear the Virtual Store of any Sims 2 files, too. The path for that is C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore - anything under Sims 2 can be removed. If you installed to a custom location this will not be necessary.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#3 Old 20th Sep 2020 at 10:41 PM
The game will struggle with only 4 RAM because windows 10 itself uses up close to it. Not sure if this would cause this, but it might.
When you say patches, are you on disks? Do not try and patch the UC, it comes patched.
Please don't uninstall and reinstall a front line step to fixing game issues. Most times it is either a waste of time-as you found or it will cause issues as it can leave behind files in the registry and mess with the new install.

I would make sure before loading that all applications that can be turned off are turned off. So if you have Discord or Steam eating up resources, turn them off, music off, anything your pc does not need to run turn off.
Set all sims 2 settings to low. Smooth edges off, shadows off, reflections off, details low, distance low etc.
make sure your antivirus is also off and that it is set to not look at sims 2 files at all.
Run the game as Admin.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 30th Sep 2020 at 2:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
This sounds to me like an installation problem- as though the game has not installed cleanly.

To which location have you installed the game?

First thing I would check is to make sure that your antivirus program is not putting a lock on the files. Check under 'on access scanning' and add the location of your installed files, and your userdata files in the Documents folder, to the exceptions.

If you installed to the default location (Program Files(x86)) then you should clear the Virtual Store of any Sims 2 files, too. The path for that is C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore - anything under Sims 2 can be removed. If you installed to a custom location this will not be necessary.

I have the game installed to (Program Files(x86).
I marked the files as exemptions in the on access scanning.
I have no sims 2 data in the virtual store.

The problem still persists.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 30th Sep 2020 at 2:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
The game will struggle with only 4 RAM because windows 10 itself uses up close to it. Not sure if this would cause this, but it might.
When you say patches, are you on disks? Do not try and patch the UC, it comes patched.
Please don't uninstall and reinstall a front line step to fixing game issues. Most times it is either a waste of time-as you found or it will cause issues as it can leave behind files in the registry and mess with the new install.

I would make sure before loading that all applications that can be turned off are turned off. So if you have Discord or Steam eating up resources, turn them off, music off, anything your pc does not need to run turn off.
Set all sims 2 settings to low. Smooth edges off, shadows off, reflections off, details low, distance low etc.
make sure your antivirus is also off and that it is set to not look at sims 2 files at all.
Run the game as Admin.

I don't think that 4 RAM is the problem. The rest of the game runs smoothly and it loads faster then it ever did before.
I am on disks as I said in the original post.
Uninstalling the game was not the first step I took. I did the patching and problem solving steps recommended on this website first.
I have the antivirus set to not look at any Sims 2 files.
I run the game as Admin with a windows 7 compatibility.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#6 Old 30th Sep 2020 at 11:21 AM
What settings do you have your in-game graphics on? Could you take a screenshot like this for us to see?
Also a screenshot of CAS showing the sliders might tell us something.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 18th Oct 2020 at 4:27 AM Last edited by Jthompson121 : 18th Feb 2021 at 2:42 AM.
What settings do you have your in-game graphics on? Could you take a screenshot like this for us to see?
Also a screenshot of CAS showing the sliders might tell us something.

I included a screen shot of my graphics like you asked. I also included some CAS pictures. in the pictures, I showed that with both the lips and the nose, no matter how I adjusted the sliders, the sim wouldn't change. I also took a picture to show that I can't select presets on those pages at all (this is true for all the sliders though). I can change eye color.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 18th Oct 2020 at 4:49 AM
I once had a similar issue with the game graphics setting in options on an earlier attempt to install on this computer from my old disks and my current install is UC from Origin and this one works like it should.My CAS sliders work like they should and graphics settings are changable as they should be so it sounds like something isn't installing correctly in the game and RAM sounds a little low at 4GB so that might need an upgrade to a higher amount and I have at least a 1GB dedicated graphics card and run a booster program that forces it to use that card instead of the internal one when playing in windowed mode.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 24th Oct 2020 at 2:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by TadOlson
I once had a similar issue with the game graphics setting in options on an earlier attempt to install on this computer from my old disks and my current install is UC from Origin and this one works like it should.My CAS sliders work like they should and graphics settings are changable as they should be so it sounds like something isn't installing correctly in the game and RAM sounds a little low at 4GB so that might need an upgrade to a higher amount and I have at least a 1GB dedicated graphics card and run a booster program that forces it to use that card instead of the internal one when playing in windowed mode.

When I had the UC installed the CAS worked fine and the game itself ran without trouble. However, I want to eventually play my old game files which were connected to the sims2 store. Which means that there is bit of work involved in inserting the sims2 store edition files into the UC and then rewriting the registry. Seeing as how I have all the CDs, I rather not do all of those other steps.

(I played in a single neighborhood for the last 15 years. I have 4th generation sims in over 20 different families that I love (I play every child in the family tree, and so on). Around 40 different homes that I've built. Along with all of my community lots. I am only trying to do this on a new computer is because I moved overseas and couldn't take my PC with me.)
Mad Poster
#10 Old 24th Oct 2020 at 4:00 AM
I was able to put my old SIms 2 folder contents in after backing up the new Sims 2 folder created with launching UC and the still active copy got the files removed except the neighborhoods folder and I was able to load my old game files with my old conent though I had to start over in a new town.I was able to reinsert one of my older games to nab some lots I wanted in my library.It's just coping and pasting to patchwork files to get a working version of your old folder contents into a new SIms 2 folder is needed to get that old stuff back.I don't quite play like I did on my oldest computer because I started using tons of Mods and CC this time around because many old cheats don't work or could mess the game up unlike in the past.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#11 Old 24th Oct 2020 at 1:08 PM
For your Store edition problem, this might help:
https://modthesims.info/showthread....757#post5228757

For the slider problem, it's a tricky one. Your Sim detail id on high, what happens if you put your other graphics settings on high too? Do the sliders still not work?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 18th Feb 2021 at 3:37 AM
For your Store edition problem, this might help:
https://modthesims.info/showthread....757#post5228757

For the slider problem, it's a tricky one. Your Sim detail id on high, what happens if you put your other graphics settings on high too? Do the sliders still not work?

( Had to take some time off on trying to fix this. I was just feeling miserable that nothing was working.)

I tested the graphics setting. I put all the other graphics settings on high. - Didn't work.
I also tried putting the graphics settings all on low. - Didn't work.

I'm thinking about trying a bit of diagnostics. I plan on uninstalling just the stuff packs and the expansions. Then reinstalling and booting up the game between each install. This way I can try and pinpoint if there is a particular expansion pack causing the problems or not.

What do you think of the idea?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#13 Old 18th Feb 2021 at 9:37 AM
Sounds like a good idea, check that the basegame alone works though before you reinstall anything. If it doesn't work basegame only, then uninstall the lot, reboot your PC and then reinstall to a location outside of the Program Files folder- I would recommend something like C:/Games/ EA Games.