Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

OUTDATED: The "CEP" (Color Enable Packages) - V. 2.0 - 14-MAR-2005

by Numenor Posted 31st Dec 2004 at 2:52 AM - Updated 27th Nov 2013 at 9:30 PM by Nysha

Closed Thread Locked by: Reason:
637 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 636 Feedback Posts
Page 3 of 26
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#51 Old 31st Dec 2004 at 2:58 PM Last edited by numenor : 31st Dec 2004 at 3:00 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Carrigon
Thanks for all the hard work on this. I had so much fun making paintings. I did have one question. If we don't rename anything inside the package, I saw that it still gives a new hash, so we don't actually have to rename the files in the package, do we?

No, SimPE does everything by itself... :D
You just have to recolor the texture and save the package.

And, as you are into paintings, have you used the new "Photo Studio" plugin? It's awsome! Quaxi is great...
Test Subject
#52 Old 31st Dec 2004 at 3:05 PM
Once again a major lurker gives all of you hardworking guys and gals most major thanks!

Lab Assistant
#53 Old 31st Dec 2004 at 3:06 PM
How do i use the new package?
Instructor
#54 Old 31st Dec 2004 at 3:10 PM Last edited by Quaxi : 31st Dec 2004 at 3:40 PM.
Ok, the new SimPE will be out in some Minutes, maybe the to ofen will work with this Release.

It tries to find the CRES first with the full name, if that does not work it looks for the first CRES with the ModelName as prefix.

I think I did also fix the TXTR issuses (again ). And I added an experimental Option, wich will alows you to use the Nvidia DDS Tools to Build DXT Textures with SimPE now. You just have to specify the location of the DDS Tool in the Extra->Options Dialog. But use this with care as it is a very new Feature! (That means that the quality of the Textures isn't reduced anymore.)

You can stiil create DDS files with the Photoshop Plugin and import them to SimPE.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#55 Old 31st Dec 2004 at 3:27 PM
Great!
Ehmm... have you took a look at the other thread, Quaxi? :D
I had a problem that nobody else may have, here...!
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#56 Old 31st Dec 2004 at 3:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by supernova
How do i use the new package?

Look at the post #1: all the information is there!
Then, if you have specific question, just ask!
Lab Assistant
#57 Old 31st Dec 2004 at 4:00 PM Last edited by supernova : 31st Dec 2004 at 4:10 PM.
sorry got it working!!
Firestarter
#58 Old 31st Dec 2004 at 4:12 PM
I love the new photo studio, it's great I made the paintings so fast, it was amazing. One note on the paintings, I forgot about mirroring. If you do anything that has words on it, you have to flip it in your paint program. I didn't realize it till I did the paintings and then I saw my stuff was flipped. Like if you have a pic with someone looking to the right, you have to make it look to the left when you make the painting and the game will fix it.
Field Researcher
#59 Old 31st Dec 2004 at 4:31 PM
Wow, wow, wow, this is so absolutely awsome. Thankyou for all your hard work on this.

When I'm all alone and blue as can be, dream a little dream of me.
Lab Assistant
#60 Old 31st Dec 2004 at 4:39 PM
This is wonderful! Thx to everyone who worked so hard on this.

I have a couple of questions though...I read that objects recolored using Object Workshop should only be for personal use & not for distribution to the public because they may cause conflicts in people's games. Is that true? And if so, with these new color enabler packages, we are told to use the workshop to make new color options so are these recolors now safe to distribute? I just don't want to distribute something I shouldn't.

Also, I am using a clean, non-patched copy of the game to do my recolors. Will those with the patch have any problems using my files?

Thx for any help.

-B
Firestarter
#61 Old 31st Dec 2004 at 5:03 PM
This works on a hash system, so every time you make one, it gives your new recolor a new GUID. I'll let the others explain that better, but for now, it should be pretty safe to distribute these items.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#62 Old 31st Dec 2004 at 5:26 PM
HoneyB: Carrigon is right, but remember that the Color Enabler packages are still in beta testing (I've released them this morning...! ). Though in theory everything should be fine, in practice the recoloured object may have some issues themselves, or cause issues when installed into other users' game.
So, you definitely *can* share your creations with the Community, as long as you post them in the Beta Tester forum.

As for the official game patch, the only difference may be that with the patch installed you can't rename the recoloured object packages, while without the patch you should be able to rename them.
Do me a favour: as you don't have the patch installed, create some recoloured object, copy them into the download folder and then *rename* them. Tell us if the "renamed" objects show correctly in game or have a flashing blue texture.
Lab Assistant
#63 Old 31st Dec 2004 at 5:36 PM
Will do. I'll brb. Thx Carrigon & Numenor.

-B
Firestarter
#64 Old 31st Dec 2004 at 5:57 PM
One more thing we should take note of, we don't know yet how this will work with the first EP, so it might be a good idea to take it out before installing that and then seeing how it works. We just don't know what they will be changing with that Expansion yet. I'm hoping it will remain compatible with no problems.
Lab Assistant
#65 Old 31st Dec 2004 at 6:12 PM
Ok this is what I found out. I recolored the bullet-looking trashcan (Narcisco Rubbish Bin) using SimPE's v .014 OW, tested it & it worked fine. But when I renamed it, I got the blue flashing thing. Then I tried renaming an object I recolored previously with SimPE 12u's OW & the same thing happened.

I didn't know if the renaming problem was only associated with OW so I tried a recolored object I did the original long way & renamed it with no problem & it works fine.

-B
Field Researcher
#66 Old 31st Dec 2004 at 6:21 PM
As the CEP re-colours work in sub-folders of the Downloads folder, perhaps it might be a good idea for people to keep these CEP's in a seperate folder so when the EP is released, they'll all be in one place, should they need to be removed.

Also....question: some catalogue descriptions are now showing a split screen, like it would if there were colour options, except there no options! It's just a duplicate of the the default item. (pic attached)

I mean, it deosn't affect the game in any way, and I am delighted with the many, many re-colours already posted, but I just thought I'd ask about this.

"If..." a TS2 epic about friendship, romance, break-ups, make-ups, misunderstandings, fights, quite a bit of silliness and a little bit of rock and roll."
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#67 Old 31st Dec 2004 at 6:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HoneyB
I didn't know if the renaming problem was only associated with OW so I tried a recolored object I did the original long way & renamed it with no problem & it works fine.

Yes, there is a big difference between these new recoloured objects and the "old fahion" ones: the Enabler packages supply Material Overrides (MMAT) to the objects that previously didn't have one; all the new MMAT have Group number 0xFFFFFFFF (a "private" group number), while every existing MMAT for the "old fashion" objects had its own "official" number; as a consequence, the new recolour packages can't be renamed, and we have discovered, thanks to your tests, that the game patch is irrelevant.

Carrigon: Yes, we are aware of the risk of possible conflict with an EP that *has n't been released yet*. But MaxoidTom has been very kind with us and wotched over our work. He insisted very much on the necessity to use the groupID 0xFFFFFFFF, I think for this reason. So, we hope that our Enabler packages will be compatible with future EP.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#68 Old 31st Dec 2004 at 6:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ilikefishfood
As the CEP re-colours work in sub-folders of the Downloads folder, perhaps it might be a good idea for people to keep these CEP's in a seperate folder so when the EP is released, they'll all be in one place, should they need to be removed.

Also....question: some catalogue descriptions are now showing a split screen, like it would if there were colour options, except there no options! It's just a duplicate of the the default item. (pic attached)

I mean, it deosn't affect the game in any way, and I am delighted with the many, many re-colours already posted, but I just thought I'd ask about this.

The meaning of the pic you have attached is the following: the color option is enabled for two separate parts of the cheap oven(the exterior and the glass window). Thus, if you try to recolor the oven, you'll be asked to choose which of the parts you want to recolour. If you create a new window color and a new exterior color, you can combine them freely (e.g. the new window with the original exterior, or the new exterior with the original window).
Please note that some objects, among which the window of this oven, are more difficult to recolor, because they *do not have* a texture (RGiles' tutorial is suitable only for objects that have a texture).

As for the subfolder, it's a good idea. But when the EP will be released you should temporarly remove *the Enabler packages*, rather then the recoloured objects.
Lab Assistant
#69 Old 31st Dec 2004 at 7:11 PM
Quote:
Yes, there is a big difference between these new recoloured objects and the "old fahion" ones

Ahhhh ok. I was wondering if any of the fencing would eventually be included in OW for color options? I checked the listing in OW & the excluded objects list & I didn't see anything.

-B
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#70 Old 31st Dec 2004 at 7:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by marjan
J.M. it's probably a stupid question but what's "jail" permissions?

Jail is the permission set I run suspicious programs under which denies read and write access to most areas of the hard drive.

Quote: Originally posted by rentechd
It installs 2 .packages that can be removed like any .package by deleting, on in downloads and one in the sim3d directory that enable addirional color options to show up in the game. This is not overwriting anything in the game

Err, if it's only installing those two packages, why was it trying to write to my C:\WINDOWS directory?

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#71 Old 31st Dec 2004 at 7:27 PM Last edited by numenor : 31st Dec 2004 at 7:43 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by J. M. Pescado
Err, if it's only installing those two packages, why was it trying to write to my C:\WINDOWS directory?

What?! I didn't made the installer, but I'm pretty sure it shouldn't write anything into the Windows directory! Can you discover what files it tries to access and/or write? Quaxi is the right person to ask about this.

Anyway, the installer is the well-known Inno Installer, maybe its normal functions require to access some files in the Windows dir. I haven't examined the source code (and to tell the truth I'm not experienced enough to understand it), but it can be found in public domain at www.innosetup.com
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#72 Old 31st Dec 2004 at 7:31 PM
Ahhhh ok. I was wondering if any of the fencing would eventually be included in OW for color options? I checked the listing in OW & the excluded objects list & I didn't see anything.

-B

The fences are similar to walls, in the way the game handles them. They are not *objects* (while the gates, on the contrary, are actual objects), and so they can't ever be included in the Enabler packages. Sorry!
Lab Assistant
#73 Old 31st Dec 2004 at 7:41 PM
Nothing to be sorry for. With all tons of other goodies we can make now I think I can live with the default fences.

One more thing, any ideas why people may be having problems with items conflicting since unique hash numbers are generated? I am so anal when it comes to making sure I understand as much as I can about people downloading anything I make so sorry if I am asking anything silly or something that already been answered somewhere else.

-B
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#74 Old 31st Dec 2004 at 7:50 PM
Nothing to be sorry for. With all tons of other goodies we can make now I think I can live with the default fences.

One more thing, any ideas why people may be having problems with items conflicting since unique hash numbers are generated? I am so anal when it comes to making sure I understand as much as I can about people downloading anything I make so sorry if I am asking anything silly or something that already been answered somewhere else.

-B

I haven't heard of actual objects conflicts, recently. The Family GUID are 128-bit hash numbers, so it's unlikely to have two identical GUIDs.
But nothing is impossible!
Seriously, if anyone here finds a conflict between two correctly recoloured objects , please let us know!
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#75 Old 31st Dec 2004 at 8:05 PM
Here in Italy it's 9 o'clock.. it's time to have dinner and celebrate!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

:dunce:
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 26