Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Sep 2020 at 12:34 AM Last edited by Moonstar2024 : 16th Sep 2020 at 4:35 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection Can't Find DirectX 9.0c
Hello,

I've had The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection for 5 years now and it worked fine on my old PC. Last year I bought a new gaming laptop since the PC I used to have was my dad's PC and he decided to take it back because I was moving and couldn't fit it at my new place, so that's when I got my gaming laptop. I'm sorry for rambling, anyway, I wanted to play The Sims 2 again, so I installed it on my new laptop, when I try to launch the game my mouse cursor indicates that it's loading but after a few seconds it'll stop and the game doesn't launch at all! There's no error message or anything, it just shows it's loading for about 10 or 20 seconds and then nothing happens. If anyone could help me out here I'd really appreciate it! I'm on Windows 10 with the current update.

Edit: Okay now it's giving me an error saying "Failed to find any DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics adapters" even though I have DirectX 9.0c on my system.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 16th Sep 2020 at 12:48 AM
That's most likely that the game isn't recognizing your graphics card. Try using the Graphic Rules Maker
If still not working, try this:
https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=610641
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 16th Sep 2020 at 1:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Borja20
That's most likely that the game isn't recognizing your graphics card. Try using the Graphic Rules Maker
If still not working, try this:
https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=610641

I forgot to mention I already tried Graphic Rules Maker and the 4GB patch. The same thing still happens. It just shows it's loading for about 10 seconds and nothing happens.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 16th Sep 2020 at 1:18 AM
If it helps, my laptop's graphics card is Nvidia Geforce RTX 2060. My laptop also has an integrated graphics card which is Intel UHD Graphics 630.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 16th Sep 2020 at 4:33 PM
Okay now it's giving me an error saying "Failed to find any DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics adapters" even though I have DirectX 9.0c on my system.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 16th Sep 2020 at 7:35 PM
Make sure the changes have actually applied to the GraphicRules and VideoCards files. Windows have a tendency to write-protect files in ProgramFiles, so it looks like you ran the fixes but then Windows resets the files as if you never did anything to them.

Copy the files to Desktop, run GRM on these files, then move the files to the ProgramFiles location and let them overwrite. When you get the admin popup of "are you sure you want to overwrite these files?" that tells Windows it's not supposed to write-protect the files, so it goes through with the change. That usually does the trick.

DirectX also seems to have problems running the game with fullscreen, so you can try to see if windowed mode works better. That helped for me (I had a lot of screen issues with the 1070 card in the beginning. The screen couldn't figure out which resolution to use, and it flickered and jumped between several options until it just crashed or I had to force-quit the game. Windowed mode pretty much immediately fixed that issue. I can imagine the 2000 series is potentially a bit worse).