Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Jan 2022 at 3:42 PM
How to make Custom Neighborhoods using SimCity 4
This is a very basic and easy to understand tutorial for making and importing custom 'hoods from SimCity 4 into The Sims 2

You need:
*A copy of The Sims™ 2
*A copy of SimCity™ 4 (it doesn't matter if it is the normal or Deluxe edition)

1.0 Making the neighborhood
1.1 Create a city like you usually would but make sure you are in god mode.
1.2 Use the Terrain tools to create the "foundation" for the city.
1.3 Once you are satisfied with the terrain, you can switch to mayor mode.
1.4 In order to place lots in The Sims 2, they need to be connected to a street. Build as many streets in whichever way you want, just keep in mind to leave some space so you can place lots around them later.
1.5 If everything is done, save and exit the game.

2.0 Locating the file
The Sims 2's 'hoods all use .sc4 files, which are the same as in SimCity 4. Open your file explorer and go to
Quote:
CD: OS (C\Users\(Your name)\Documents\ SimCity 4\Regions\
macOS (OS X): Documents\SimCity 4\Regions\
Steam: (C\Users\(Your name)\Documents/steamapps/compatdata/24780/pfx/

You can also go to This PC and type .sc4 into the search bar and look for your city name instead.

3.0 Importing the file into The Sims 2
3.1 Select the .sc4 file you want to have in The Sims 2 and select "copy" (or press CTRL+C)
3.2 Go to
Quote:
Ultimate Collection/Origin: C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection\Double Deluxe\Base\TSData\Res\UserData\Neighborhoods
CD: C:\Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\SC4Terrains\

3.3 Press CTRL+V to paste your custom terrain into the folder.

That's it. The template is now selectable in The Sims 2 when creating a new Neighborhood. Though you can't choose different ground types for your custom 'hoods like the others, because you only imported one. It is a simple tutorial after all.

Now you know how to add custom terrains in The Sims 2.
Check out another tutorial if you want to know how to make different ground types for your 'hood because I don't know how to make them myself.
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 5th Jan 2022 at 5:43 PM
Forum Resident
#3 Old 21st Nov 2023 at 5:11 AM Last edited by Sims2Maven : 21st Nov 2023 at 11:13 PM.
Default Revision and I Feel Stupid
All of the problems I was having with SimCity 4 were due to my not realizing (because it doesn't explicitly say so anywhere in the manual) that it works a lot like the various Sims games - d'oh!

That is, the game installation files are stored in one place (which varies somewhat depending on where they were acquired from), and the actual user files are stored under Documents\SimCity 4. It's the Documents\SimCity 4 files that you are supposed to work with.

Found this tip in this thread here on Mod the Sims - you'd think the SC4 people would make prominent notes of it, but no-o-ooo!
Theorist
#4 Old 24th Nov 2023 at 8:52 AM
Note: the terrain you make in SC4 will be mirrored once you play it in TS2.

Quote: Originally posted by Cinner
Though you can't choose different ground types for your custom 'hoods like the others, because you only imported one. It is a simple tutorial after all.
What do you mean by this?
Test Subject
#5 Old 22nd Feb 2024 at 6:20 PM
I've made a small tutorial with some tips about it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8Ovtw_xKEE

Beg you pardon for my English xD
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#6 Old 22nd Feb 2024 at 6:36 PM
Thanks Max, very informative. Your English is very good I think!