Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#76 Old 24th Apr 2018 at 4:17 PM
It works with disks as well. I think this fix came out before it, in 2011.

It might have to come to that. I'd rather use disks because I find it easier to fix specific problems ... and I've had a few! I would be concerned that I would have problems playing the game offline. People claim you can do that with Sims 3. I've tried with Sims 3 and I can't seem to do it. My base Sims 3 game is later than 2012, and I do have the dreaded 1.69 Sims 3 patch as a result. It may have nothing to do with that, or maybe Sims 2 is another animal altogether. But I'm apprehensive. And after this HH mess, I think you can see why! Sometimes, fixing things can bring other issues.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#77 Old 24th Apr 2018 at 4:35 PM
The latest Origin update tries to force people online to play UC, but there is a fix for that. I just didn't update and have since taken the computer off line, but will need Gdayars help when I break down and buy another one.

I also have the dreaded 1.69 patch. My sims 3 game is unplayable as a result.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Mad Poster
#78 Old 24th Apr 2018 at 4:50 PM Last edited by gazania : 24th Apr 2018 at 6:03 PM.
I was looking at the Moonkist post again:

http://moonkistsims.tumblr.com/post...-happy-holidays

Apparently, with Origin, a single file caused the problem with UC back then, and moving the skin file from the old game fixed it. I tried that as well (as I wrote, short of reinstalling the entire game, there was pitifully little I didn't try), but maybe there is some odd file between the game on my test machine, which is unmpatched (after my adventures with HH on my regular game's machine, I didn't want to take the risk), and on the affected game. Wouldn't it be funny if one KB file messed everything up?

My H05 and H06 bundles dated from the original installation the first time around, so I don't think that's the problem, by the way. And replacing them with the files from my test game, which do have the original dates, did not work.

That fix, though, seemed to apply to all of the clothes. I'm missing only some of them. I really do think it's some of file discrepancy, but what? What?

EDIT ... went back to compatibility, just to see if I'm right. Will the stuff show up again?

If it does, it might make things simpler. I either have to have shorter play sessions or try to see if manually configuring the fix via Explorer works better, as opposed to the patch ... just like I found with changing the Graphics and Video card file and Graphic Rules Maker, the latter which I just can't seem to use. I have to change files manually. If the stuff doesn't come back, I get to reinstall HH. Again. :/

EDIT. AGAIN ... With compatibility, everything came back. That's good news and bad news.

The good news is that the patch doesn't get rid of the items ... just hides many of them. Why? Who the blank knows?

The bad news is that I have to choose between the patch and my HH stuff.

So it's something related to compatibility and the patch. REALLY good question as to what. I'll just have to play much-shorter game sessions until I figure out the next step. Probably better for my eyes anyway. Maybe I'll have to fix the 4gb issue the hard way. I mean, how hard can it be? (Gulps when I look at the instructions.) Oh, and delete any Thumbnail files when they get to 10,000 kb. That seems to cause pink issues.

And yes, I've already accepted that when I have to go to Win 10 in a year or two, I will probably have to capitulate and use UC. I have it all downloaded already. I read, though, that I can't keep my old hoods? Is that true?

Mad Poster
#79 Old 24th Apr 2018 at 6:01 PM
lol. Don't look at me. If it weren't Gdayars, I would still be trying to figure out how to install the stupid thing. Good luck with your search!

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Mad Poster
#80 Old 24th Apr 2018 at 6:07 PM Last edited by gazania : 24th Apr 2018 at 6:51 PM.
I could at least try the DEP. That might help. Looking at the instructions, I could list the Sims 2 and 3 exe files as exceptions, rather than do a global fix. Not sure just how to do that exactly, though. I need to do a crash course in exactly what file names to use.

I downloaded RAMMap. My techie is pretty good at scouting out and finding those memory hogs, and he came through this time. The most greedy one was my AV at 60. So it's not a memory hog causing problems, at least. I usually turn off the AV when I play. I'm going to try playing now and seeing if that changes any. (It doesn't.)

EDIT ... I went into CFF Explorer manually. Nuthin' to be afraid of. However, the checkbox I'm supposed to click (file can handle more than 2GB) is already clicked. It did not revert ... at least according to Explorer. (Because of compatibility, though, the config log says otherwise.) So it's back to either choosing between compatibility or HH.

I still feel I'm missing something easy, but important. But what?

Test Subject
#81 Old 24th Apr 2018 at 10:03 PM Last edited by raspberryteasims : 24th Apr 2018 at 10:28 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by TheJessaChannel
If you can run your game, the .exe exists. So try searching your Program Files for Sim*.exe - that will find it for you.

Ok, weirdly searching for it STILL wouldn't show it but I was able to click on the icon where I load the game and click "open file location" and it brought me there *facepalm*. Sorry for the inconvenience I'm borderline useless with computers. Thank you for your great tutorial.

Edit: Tried installing the 4gb patch and the game wouldn't load.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#82 Old 25th Apr 2018 at 12:47 AM
Does anyone know this person who had the same issue as I do?
http://mswn.tumblr.com/post/1567856...ay-be-something
They don't appear to be a member here but I am thinking they might be on GOS?

Setting affinity 1 core and setting it high priority with my new 750PSU has not changed anything.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#83 Old 25th Apr 2018 at 12:52 AM Last edited by gazania : 25th Apr 2018 at 1:04 AM.
Are you on Tumblr? I am ... I could ask for you if you like. Looks like the person is still active, and the person DID indicate that we could ask anything. It's not a horribly personal question!

EDIT ... It looks like the person never could properly fix it. Ditching the hood was definitely an option; then mswn simply went to a backup.

http://mswn.tumblr.com/post/1568424...got-to-thinking

I asked anyway. The worst mswn could do is to tell me to blank off.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#84 Old 25th Apr 2018 at 1:35 AM
My issue isn't one hood, it's brand new sims 2 folders with maxis hoods all of them, the whole game.

Gina has sent her a message. I just thought if anyone actually knew her or if she was on GOS I could message her.

ugg so maybe she never did find out and just reinstalled. I've never had store addition so it isn't that.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#85 Old 25th Apr 2018 at 1:40 AM
@raspberryteasims the patch automatically makes a backup of your exe, so all you have to do is rename it from backup back to exe at least if you don't have file types hidden, and it will run
Test Subject
#86 Old 25th Apr 2018 at 2:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by gdayars
@raspberryteasims the patch automatically makes a backup of your exe, so all you have to do is rename it from backup back to exe at least if you don't have file types hidden, and it will run

I tried this and it said "the code execution cannot proceed because Core/Activation.dll was not found"
Thank you so much for trying to help though.
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#87 Old 25th Apr 2018 at 3:21 AM
ok just so everybody is aware, always make your own copy of the exe somewhere, before you patch it, in case something goes wrong. because while I have never had a back up from the patch fail, I think that something was changed about the exe when Origin updated that last time, where Origin is now required to run your game.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#88 Old 26th Apr 2018 at 6:48 AM
Looking more like it's some form of corruption with my M&G installation files. Body shop loads but freezes then I went to uninstall M&G and it doesn't have the correct icon and won't uninstall. Looks like it's going to be the hard way because I am determined to fix this.

~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
#89 Old 27th Apr 2018 at 2:58 PM
In the midst of trying out the tips here, i noticed that in fact, my log file (COMPUTER-config-log) doesn't update. While all my other log files update, that one doesn't, it still shows the date being the day the file was last updated (when i installed the game on this computer). How can i change it so it updates?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#90 Old 27th Apr 2018 at 7:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by thewrittenletter
In the midst of trying out the tips here, i noticed that in fact, my log file (COMPUTER-config-log) doesn't update. While all my other log files update, that one doesn't, it still shows the date being the day the file was last updated (when i installed the game on this computer). How can i change it so it updates?

Delete it and the game will create a new one. But it is very strange that file does not update as it should every time you start the game.

~Livestreams and Livesimming served up with a soupçon of silly and a whole lot of story.~

http://www.youtube.com/TheJessaChannel

Test Subject
#91 Old 27th Apr 2018 at 9:15 PM
Hi guys, I have a question and the lovely Jessa sent me over here!
So. I applied the 4gb patch and then moved the .exe to the CSBin as shown in her video. However, while my memory reads 4096, the free memory only reads 2916mb.
Does anybody have any insight on what the heck this means/how I can get both to read 4096?
Scholar
#92 Old 28th Apr 2018 at 12:12 AM
Mackenzie, I had to apply the 4GB patch to my game too, but the memory on my config log never changed either (to this day it still reads 2048 MB). However, my game stopped with the random crashes, and I was actually able to play a lot that would crash within minutes prior to the fix.

I'd say that if everything is running more smoothly and you're no longer hitting those crash points, then everything updated as it should. I wouldn't worry unduly about what the log file says.

Case in point - the log says:
OS version: Windows NT 6.0
This is complete nonsense - I'm running Windows 10

No need to use my full name, "Selly" will do just fine.
Test Subject
#93 Old 28th Apr 2018 at 5:32 AM
Oh, interesting, thank you Selly! I will keep an eye on things and hope for the best!
Undead Molten Llama
#94 Old 28th Apr 2018 at 8:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Mackenzie♥
Hi guys, I have a question and the lovely Jessa sent me over here!
So. I applied the 4gb patch and then moved the .exe to the CSBin as shown in her video. However, while my memory reads 4096, the free memory only reads 2916mb.
Does anybody have any insight on what the heck this means/how I can get both to read 4096?

By any chance, are you running SimPE when you're loading the game? My log shows less free memory if I do that, which is often the case when I'm making stuff and just going into the game to check whatever I'm working on in-game. I'm guessing this is because the game and SimPE use some of the same files and resources.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Test Subject
#95 Old 29th Apr 2018 at 1:52 PM Last edited by sunniwawa : 29th Apr 2018 at 4:09 PM.
I have done this tutorial now and the game has crashed once. The second time i booted the game up it didn't crash. But I have two problems;

I have The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection and I was thinking of updating my game with the new update. When I entered origin client, I have the option to download TS2 UC, just like when it's new. What? I have it installed, I just playtested it yesterday? I don't usually use origin to open my game, but after I did this tutorial this happend. What should I do? I can't update the game or start my game from origin.

Also, I don't know if anyone have this problem: The Empty Standby program with the Task Scheduler is blinking like a black box from time to time. In like one second or something, It is kind of annoying and it happens when I just use the computer like normal. Does anyone know how to fix it? EDIT: Fixed The Empty Standby problem.
Instructor
#96 Old 29th Apr 2018 at 4:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sunniwawa
I have done this tutorial now and the game has crashed once. The second time i booted the game up it didn't crash. But I have two problems;

I have The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection and I was thinking of updating my game with the new update. When I entered origin client, I have the option to download TS2 UC, just like when it's new. What? I have it installed, I just playtested it yesterday? I don't usually use origin to open my game, but after I did this tutorial this happend. What should I do? I can't update the game or start my game from origin.

Also, I don't know if anyone have this problem: The Empty Standby program with the Task Scheduler is blinking like a black box from time to time. In like one second or something, It is kind of annoying and it happens when I just use the computer like normal. Does anyone know how to fix it?

Not sure what to answer on the Ultimate Collection, but the blinking can be stopped by going back to the task and make it hidden. Re-read the instructions and if you follow every step it will tell you how to do that. I made the hidden directions in bold. Hope it helps.

I have tested this thoroughly and it is 100% the cause of my stutters on the creators updates (especially noticeable in games like BF1).
Once the free memory is exhausted then performance takes a big hit, games with heavy caching like BF1 suffer horribly. The only way I could fix previously was restarting the computer (thus clearing the memory), which explains why it was only happening after a while and not on a fresh boot.
I have a permanent solution that keeps memory free at all times. I don't know what MS changed, but this didn't happen on 1607.
This totally fixes my system stutters on the creators.
Download EmptyStandbyList and put it somewhere where you won't move it https://wj32.org/wp/software/empty-standby-list/
Right click > Properties and select Run as Admin under compatibility.
Open Task Scheduler > Create Task on the far right
General Tab (give it a name). Under security options > Change user or group > Advanced > Find Now > go down and choose SYSTEM (important to make it run silently in the background). Tick 'Run with highest privileges' and 'Hidden' at the bottom. Pictures here https://stackoverflow.com/questions...-the-background
Triggers tab > New > On a schedule > One Time. Tick repeat task every 5 minutes (possibly excessive but it causes no issues). Also choose 'for the duration of: indefinitely'
Actions tab > Start A program > Point to the EmptyStandbyList.exe file.
Done! Standby memory is automatically cleared every 5mins.
I hope MS will come up with a fix, but if you have a similar issue/performance degradation over time - try this. Many on the nvidia forums have said it also fixes their issues.
Instructor
#97 Old 29th Apr 2018 at 4:30 PM Last edited by suzymarie64 : 29th Apr 2018 at 11:23 PM.
Just a helpful note on memory. If you are looking to upgrade memory and to see what your computer will handle, go to this site and run the scanner. It's totally safe and will tell you what you currently have and what or if your system is capable of handling more memory.

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/systemscanner
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#98 Old 29th Apr 2018 at 7:34 PM
Sunni, try moving the exe back to TSBin and then let origin update. It is annoying that there is a new update from Origin because it will confuse people who followed this tutorial. :-/

~Livestreams and Livesimming served up with a soupçon of silly and a whole lot of story.~

http://www.youtube.com/TheJessaChannel

Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#99 Old 1st May 2018 at 12:14 AM
Yes your best bet is to leave your original (or a copy of your original) exe in the tsbin folder and then use a copy in csbin, if you are still actively using origin, because it won't read the exe as being present otherwise! Be warned tho, that if you use origin to run the game and had to move the exe to csbin to get the patch to work, it won't work to run it there, as it will use the tsbin one, and you won't have the patch working.

Also wondering if the ones who are not having as much free memory are running Origin in the background? It might eat some of the memory? I am not sure just wondering.
Test Subject
#100 Old 1st May 2018 at 2:07 AM
I moved my backup of Sims2EP9.exe file back to TSBin and started my game. Then, I quit the game and went to Origin and my problem was fixed. I redid the whole tutorial and I haven't noticed any crashing yet. I have updated my game now too. The 4g patch Is working for me. So does the Task Scheduler thing. I have lots of free memory now.

I have been playing Pleasantview for a couple of hours now. (Decorating, Build/Buy Mode) It haven't crashed while I was decorating for approximately 6+ hours, so that's good. It is a ocean of possible reasons why my game have been crashing when loading some lots. I just have to wait and see. Try to figure it out.
Thank you guys, and Jessa, I appreciate your technical tutorial videos. I am sure It helps so many simmers out there!

I think after the update in 2017, Origin have been running in the background. I am not sure if this is correct, I feel like I read It some sims news site
Page 4 of 15