Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#1801 Old 8th Mar 2016 at 8:44 PM
RedSimmies, you have to train your sims into things you like better. Romance sims are only obsessed with lover counts if you give in to early whims, same with knowledge on skills and fortune on buying. If you ignore such things and fill other things they will roll up less often. You can easily stop skill points accumulating by setting the sims limits on the simblender, so play away with that rabbit head kid, it's not doing a thing for you if your limited to 3 skill points.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#1802 Old 8th Mar 2016 at 9:37 PM
Pet peeve: I always have to delete those two cache files before I launch the game or it either doesn't launch or just throws a blank error message. It gets a bit tiring after a while. I'd make a batch file to do it for me but I've let myself get rusty and can't quite remember how.
Inventor
#1803 Old 8th Mar 2016 at 10:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Justpetro
I give all my Sims a second aspiration - but no Grilled Cheese eaters allowed.

Aw, that's too bad. Grilled Cheese doesn't have any huge, 15,000-point Wants (to the best of my knowledge), but what it does bring to the table is a steady stream of small, easily fulfilled Wants, foremost among them being the "Eat Grilled Cheese" Want, worth 500 points. Roll up "Eat Grilled Cheese". Cook a grilled cheese sandwich. Take a bite out of it. Boom! 500 points, and the Want is replaced with...another "Eat Grilled Cheese" Want. Stop eating the sandwich, fridge it and go cook another one. Now take a bite out of it. Boom! Another 500 points! And the Want goes away and is replaced with...yet another "Eat Grilled Cheese" Want. I think that my record is eight "Eat Grilled Cheese" Wants in a row, and I think that that streak only ended because I sent the Sim on a date and rolled up a bunch of date-related Wants instead.

I should probably get back to playing Claudette de Chef (nee Gourmando) and her husband Gaston, because Claudette is what I envisioned to be a "powerhouse" Simmy build: a natural Cuisine hobbyist with Pleasure and Grilled Cheese for her Aspirations. It doesn't matter which Aspiration you take for your primary; either your Sim can create sandwiches out of thin air or can build a bunch of Relationships at the same time with the Folk Song*. So pick your poison. The two Aspirations and the Cuisine hobby all contribute to each other and feed off each other, so it's a win-win-win situation every time your Sim wakes up, heads to the kitchen and follows up by grabbing the computer and churning out yet another Restaurant Guide. And if your Sim's into Arts & Crafts instead of Cuisine, that's what the third Grilled Cheese perk is for.

* Grilled Cheese might have the edge here. Being able to conjure hassle-free sandwiches is a rare ability to have, but can the Folk Song really do anything that the Sea Chantey and the Dragon Legend can't do?

"$21! Oh, how COULD you?" --Kankritty
Mad Poster
#1804 Old 9th Mar 2016 at 4:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
You can easily stop skill points accumulating by setting the sims limits on the simblender, so play away with that rabbit head kid, it's not doing a thing for you if your limited to 3 skill points.

Really? Is this another thing I need to learn about the Simblender? I have Ancient Highway's hacks in to stop too much skill gaining.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#1805 Old 9th Mar 2016 at 4:36 AM
I believe it's a plug in, so an extra file that you can add to the simblender. You set it per sim and per skill. No badges just skill points. If you want to change it on age up you have to remember to change the sims settings. I use to let all toddlers skill away, but since removing the slow skill gain mod I set it per age and by motivation level. Even a super smart toddler should not be able to go and cook lobster on aging into a child. (kids cooking mod allows for that)

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#1806 Old 9th Mar 2016 at 6:18 AM
Grilled cheese eaters - I have taken Pizza's words into account. No.
Forum Resident
#1807 Old 9th Mar 2016 at 6:53 AM

I had the opposite reaction . I do rarely include grilled cheese as a secondary aspiration, but Pizza's post made me consider allowing a few more of them (one or two more, at least) and even having a sim with grilled cheese as a primary aspiration. One of the sims I have with a grilled cheese secondary wants to be a celebrity chef; once he's an adult he'll make grilled cheese on fancy breads with artisan cheeses, and then open a bakery or restaurant to sell sandwiches. I'm now thinking grilled cheese could be a good focal point for a minor cult in my town, though.
Lab Assistant
#1808 Old 9th Mar 2016 at 6:55 AM
That's right, it's a separate plug-in for the Sim Blender that can be downloaded here.

I recently found out about GunMod's Radiance Light System, and overall I think it is awesome and a huge improvement over the EAxis one. However, I discovered that it doesn't handle wall-mounted objects with adjusted heights correctly. Completely understandable, since the mod is old and this feature was added in AL, but my inner jury's still out on the question whether it's a deal-breaker or not.

Undead Molten Llama
#1809 Old 9th Mar 2016 at 7:17 AM
They do not often sit on their butts to skill in my game.

Sitting on the butt-skilling is not the norm in my game - they have to go to community lots to do it.

Yeah, I do the "they have to go to community lots" thing, too. Sometimes, I decide that no one in a neighborhood is allowed skilling objects in their homes, aside from cooking equipment because they have to eat. No bookcases or TVs, even. But still, whether they're skilling on a community lot, or skilling at home, it's still...skilling. Which mostly involves sitting on their butt in some manner, often for long periods of time. Yeah, they can do active things like cooking stuff and cleaning stuff and fixing broken things, etc., but those things don't happen often enough, or they don't do them long enough that they accumulate skill points very quickly. Which is OK, especially in age-modded neighborhoods. Even in non-age-modded ones, I don't want or need everyone to be masters at everything. Except that Knowledge Sims themselves want to be masters of everything, of course, and they won't stop wanting to learn a particular skill until they've mastered it. And once they get past about 5 points in any particular skill, it takes quite a while to get the next one. (Thank God for the "Eureka!" aspiration benefit. Otherwise I might just ban Knowledge as a primary aspiration from my game. )

But...Yeah, the way I play does "train" them, which is partly my own fault, indeed, but generally I enjoy playing this way, letting Sims make all their own decisions, as much as possible, about what they want to do and about what they end up doing. To offset the "training," if they don't have any fillable wants (or sometimes if I'm just bored of watching them sit on their butt), I don't control them at all for a period of time and they have to take care of themselves. In this way, at least, sometimes Knowledge Sims will autonomously do something that builds a skill other than the one they're currently obsessing over, which will knock them out of ruts.

And yeah, a good secondary will do that, too. The Knowledge/Romance mix is kind of fun, I think. Grilled Cheese as a secondary is sometimes fun for all primary aspirations...although even as a secondary, it is sometimes too obsessive for my likings. Sure, it'll rack up aspiration points and whatnot because the grilled cheese wants are easily-fillable, but I don't really give a fig about aspiration points. Aspiration rewards aren't even allowed in my game because I think they're too silly. My pixels just get them as a "side effect" of being a wants-based player. So, they're usually pretty happy. In fact, sometimes I'll use the Sim Blender to knock them back down to green instead of the almost-permaplat state they generally live in.

Quote:
Playful knowledge Sims will pillow fight and play in the bath tub and enjoy it as much as any Pleasure Sim!

Yes, of course, but they generally won't roll wants to do so (unless they have a Pleasure secondary), which is kind of the point for me, since I follow wants. (Then again, I don't think there IS a "play in the bathtub" want. There ought to be... There's a "Take bubble bath" one that Pleasure Sims roll, but no "play in bathtub" one. Shame.) That said, when I DO let them free-will, the more playful ones will sometimes choose to do things that are more fun to observe, yes, and they get a gold star for that, in my book. But then, just as often they'll choose to study cleaning (or whatever) from the bookcase I autonomized. Apparently, the "knowledge-seeking" coding will supercede the playfulness.

EDIT @Batanau
Actually, that's a problem with Maxis lighting, too. When an object is shifted below a certain range, the lighting doesn't work right. There is a fix for this, but I'll be damned if I can remember who made it or where it is... I'll poke at my mods folder and see what I can find, unless someone else has a quicker answer for you... Of course, whether or not that fix will work with Radiance lighting...I don't know. I haven't used that in a long time. (I don't like the way it makes windowless spaces really dark...even though that is more realistic, of course. I make lots of windowless half-baths, and it bugs me that they're always dark with that mod in.)

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Mad Poster
#1810 Old 9th Mar 2016 at 8:06 AM
I have played Grilled Cheese as a second aspiration before - never again I just could not stand looking at a plate of grilled cheese sandwiches any longer (the Sim wasn't too bad). However, great idea for a cult, @stitching! Now if Sims could produce cheese from milking goats and cows, that could be fun. (Oh, please don't tell me if there is a mod ) You can have a goat cheese god and a cow cheese god (yes, I know, language - but Cow Cheese God sounds good).

Yes, @iCad - no want for play in the bathtub or play with the fridge door! I love those animations - ah, it deserves wants! As for aspiration points - I don't really chase them, and even wants - I take them into account but do not play strictly according to them. Mr Rich can have the piano (if there is space and money), but he cannot have another kitchen counter - he is, after all, not a celebrity chef. And do you want me to plant the fruit tree on your roof? Mr Knowledge can gain a skill - except if I want him to go on a date. Or he can go and study mechanical in the library, so that he may meet the Sim I have made for him and stop swooning over Miss Fortune. Mr Family can have another baby, provided that he does not have to look after two sets of twins already. Miss Pleasure can jump on the coach - but she is going to jump until she is ready to fall asleep because she will want to so within five seconds again.Mr Romance can invite another lover over - if he cleans his place first, especially that bedroom (Make the bed, you lazy pixel, make the bed first)! I find all aspirations are quite fun - not too fond of popular Sims forever wanting to meet someone new - where must I get another Sim for you to meet? You know the complete hood, your phone book takes a year to load and it isn't even a cc one! No, I am not making one. Wait until a baby is born somewhere. But throw a party want - yes, let's do it. In fact, every Sim celebrates every promotion in my game with either a party or a community lot outing - want or no want.

And, for me, the knowledge sim offers the most variety - and often out-romance, out-family, out-party and out-fortune every other sim
Forum Resident
#1811 Old 9th Mar 2016 at 8:21 AM
I find knowledge sims will roll wants related to gaining skill badges almost as often as they get wants for skills, so long as there is a trigger such as owning a business or crafting station. Either can give the sim a bit more dimension and widen their story. I like having them use a crafting station to build a hobby to knock them out of the skill obsessions - once they start building hobby interests, the related wants seem to show up as often as skill wants. Though those do get repetitive, at least they are different, and the want to talk about their hobby can lead them to interact with other sims. Knowledge sims with families are nice, as they roll wants to teach toddler skills and have successful teens; I interpret those as desires to interact with the kids and teach skills, help with homework, and just build good supportive relationships with their kids.
Inventor
#1812 Old 9th Mar 2016 at 11:47 AM

Please?

Quote: Originally posted by stitching
I had the opposite reaction . I do rarely include grilled cheese as a secondary aspiration, but Pizza's post made me consider allowing a few more of them (one or two more, at least) and even having a sim with grilled cheese as a primary aspiration. One of the sims I have with a grilled cheese secondary wants to be a celebrity chef; once he's an adult he'll make grilled cheese on fancy breads with artisan cheeses, and then open a bakery or restaurant to sell sandwiches. I'm now thinking grilled cheese could be a good focal point for a minor cult in my town, though.

That's using your head! A slice of Velveeta melted between two slices of toasted white bread would be too mainstream. I like to imagine that there are plenty of differences between a grilled cheese sandwich cooked by a Sim with Cooking 1 and a grilled cheese sandwich cooked by a Sim with Cooking 10. Melted Muenster cheese mixed with red pepper, sea salt and a few dashes of oregano, drizzled into a split ciabatta roll hickory-grilled with goat butter on both sides, then complemented with sprinkled capers and slices of broiled veal and Genoa salami, and served with thickly sliced Red Russet potato chips and a hearty banana pepper on a fancy toothpick might be closer to the "Cooking 10" end.

But there are plenty more Wants to the Grilled Cheese Aspiration than that, too: Talk to [Sim] about grilled cheese, Influence someone to serve grilled cheese, Serve grilled cheese (to several other Sims), and several other minor Wants. They tend to come together with Eat Grilled Cheese quite nicely. "Hey, you! Go cook some grilled cheese sandwiches! BOOM! 1,500 points! Now let me have one! BOOM! 500 points! Okay, now y'all get to eat my grilled cheese sandwiches! Everyone come grab a plate and BOOM! 500 points! Hey, Joe! Know what I like to talk about? Grilled cheese! BOOM! 500 points! Hey, who wants some more grilled cheese? You do? Here, have another plate. BOOM! 500 points! I'll try one of those too. BOOM! 500 points...."

The single-minded focus of the Grilled Cheese Sim is admirable in its own way. It's also pretty funny if you look at it just right.

Mad Poster
#1813 Old 9th Mar 2016 at 12:12 PM
No.

Chocolate cake - now that would be a much more acceptable secondary aspiration in my opinion! And you do not even have to add fancy toothpicks!
Theorist
#1814 Old 9th Mar 2016 at 12:18 PM
I suppose my major pet peeve is how difficult it was to install Sims 2 and the EPs (I actual have them all) on my laptop. We upgraded to Windows 10 and I began to want to play again as a break from Sims 3. I had a heck of time getting anything after Sims 2 to work without uninstalling. I was up to Seasons (skipping Pets which I don't like very much) and then played a little, slowly gathering CC. I decided yesterday to add on a few other EPs and then had major issues. I decided to uninstall it all. I'm going to have to go back to square one. I've read lots of help pages and watched a ton of "how to" videos but this is beyond frustrating.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
Mad Poster
#1815 Old 9th Mar 2016 at 3:08 PM
I am throwing a thought in here @HCAC - the Ultimate Collection. I have been using it since before Windows 10 and it runs like a dream. It may be worth trying to get hold of it from Origin - just explain your dilemma nicely, who knows?

Since I have not had to install disks, I cannot help you there, but maybe somebody around here can.
Theorist
#1816 Old 9th Mar 2016 at 5:05 PM
I am throwing a thought in here @HCAC - the Ultimate Collection. I have been using it since before Windows 10 and it runs like a dream. It may be worth trying to get hold of it from Origin - just explain your dilemma nicely, who knows?

Since I have not had to install disks, I cannot help you there, but maybe somebody around here can.

Thanks for the idea. I spent a lot on these discs over the years and it's annoying that we "loyal" EA customers now have to deal with this headache. I've been a Simmer since Sims 1--and not a noob, but these installations are headscratchers or I'm just "getting old." (hope not).

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
Lab Assistant
#1817 Old 9th Mar 2016 at 5:47 PM
It could definitely be worth talking to EA/Origin customer service and ask for UC, @HCAC. I did after I missed out on their giveaway of the UC and got it upon giving them one of my serial keys.

@iCad: You're probably right that it has been a problem even with the original settings. AL came with a lot of bugs; it seems like they made it a bit half-heartedly, with TS3 just around the corner, I mean. However, I'm certain that it has become more noticeable in my game after I got the mod. Perhaps not the mod's own fault, but rather that it amplifies an existing problem since it improves the lighting in general. It would have been awesome if you found the fix you have!
Inventor
#1818 Old 9th Mar 2016 at 7:05 PM
No.

Pretty please?

Chocolate cake - now that would be a much more acceptable secondary aspiration in my opinion! And you do not even have to add fancy toothpicks!

But chocolate cake takes a lot of ingredients, time and preparation...a lot more than the five minutes it takes to prepare and cook a grilled cheese sandwich. That's why grilled cheese is suitable as an "OMG, a nightmare just woke me up at 3:00 AM, I have to be at work at 8 and I need to eat something to help me go back to sleep" food, and chocolate cake isn't. .

Ditto on the motion to log onto the Origin client, page online Tech Support and inquire about a copy of TS2's Ultimate Collection, by the way. Tech Support has already come through for several other Simmers here, right?

Mad Poster
#1819 Old 9th Mar 2016 at 7:43 PM Last edited by smorbie1 : 9th Mar 2016 at 8:29 PM.
[QUOTE=Justpetro]They do not often sit on their butts to skill in my game.

Wow. How do they find the time to have all those twins?

Sciburg, the sandwiches they from the buffet do not fill the eat grilled cheese sandwich want. And I'm pretty sure they don't count towards the total sandwich count.

Yes, scholar, by all means contact Origin. Go on to their site and pose the question. There will be a list of ways you can get the question answered. Select to have someone call you, get at least one of your disk codes and sit by the phone. The people there are quite nice. I have never had a bad experience with them.

You know what, honey? I just realized I wrote that as an imperative. You don't have to have them call you to get UC. That's just how I would do it because it would be over in just a minute and you would have their undivided attention. But you don't have to have them call you. You can just the way you want to communicate with them. Sorry if I made it sounds as though my way were the only way.

I do think, though, that you will be SO happy you did. There was nothing wrong with my game. My disks are all in good shape. I uninstalled a perfectly functional game to get UC. And now it's mine forever. Game gets corrupted and you have to start over? Just start. It's there. Disks gone bad? Laugh. The game is yours forever.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Mad Poster
#1820 Old 9th Mar 2016 at 8:24 PM
One of my Sims was cooking dinner. I take my eyes off her for one second. Next thing I know, the stove is on fire because her son wanted to be read to.
Theorist
#1821 Old 9th Mar 2016 at 8:41 PM
Here's a nice little mod by Squinge that will help so doesn't happen in the future :D
Scholar
#1822 Old 9th Mar 2016 at 11:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by smorbie1
[QUOTE=Justpetro]
Sciburg, the sandwiches they from the buffet do not fill the eat grilled cheese sandwich want. And I'm pretty sure they don't count towards the total sandwich count.

Oh NOOO! Are you serious? I haven't had time to test it yet, glad you told me @smorbie1

Paladins/SimWardrobes downloads: https://simfileshare.net/folder/87849/
Mad Poster
#1823 Old 9th Mar 2016 at 11:45 PM
Yep, I'm serious.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Mad Poster
#1824 Old 10th Mar 2016 at 12:21 AM
@Smorbie1 - Wow. How do they find the time to have all those twins?
They are Knowledge Sims. They are able to manage their time

So, Pizzatron - I know you cannot top a pizza with chocolate cake, but if I should ever in the distant future (like 29th generations on) consider a Grilled Cheese aspiration - No, I won"t.
Theorist
#1825 Old 11th Mar 2016 at 11:57 AM
Hi guys--just addressing my pet peeve from the other day. I was able to get a copy of UC for Sims 2 and it seems to be okay for me right now. I have a pretty old laptop and it's not "gorgeous" but it runs better than all the disc (so far). There is a little lag when the collections (houses, items) load in game but it is minimal. I am so grateful for the suggestions. Thank you again. Hopefully once I get the graphics a bit better and build my neighborhood I can start posting pictures.

Page 73 of 275